General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
best KM config for a novice ?
Posted by: mhf
Date: August 17, 2010 12:25PM

In you opinion what would be an ideal KM configuration for a novice ?

This is for someone that has never used a browser or the net before (yes, that exists !) and I'm looking for a configuration with the best security setup for KM that wouldn't mean that she (yes !) would have to ask for my help ... or have to make decisions and choices ... all the time.

It goes without saying that all other security apps would also be active - so I'm just asking about KM.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: best KM config for a novice ?
Posted by: slayer
Date: August 17, 2010 03:34PM

If you want she to ask for your help then, choose the worst configuration !

The cookies settings could be something to modify depending on the sites she visits. You know e-mail, forums etc.

The auto username and password filling, can also be turned off. Specially when the computer is shared with someone else.

Enable the CSS filters, Flash blocker. Disable JAVA and popups, and remove (comment) some options from the privacy bar (so they can not turned on by mistake).

Posted by: guenter
Date: August 17, 2010 03:39PM

I'd use K-Meleon default settings because they are optimized to work in most situations.

In JavaScrpt settings I'd only Disallow Scripts all Window manipulations and set Popup Window Appearance to allow user all.

I'd make Privacy Bar visible. That way the new user sees that cookies, images, JavaScript, Java & Popups can be toggled via button.

I'd install essentials such as spell checker and UserAgent Switcher & set some useful defaults.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2010 03:41PM by guenter.

Posted by: siria
Date: August 17, 2010 06:25PM

mhf
a configuration with the best security setup for KM that wouldn't mean that she (yes !) would have to ask for my help ... or have to make decisions and choices ... all the time.

Hum, I'm afraid "best security" and "never changing any settings" are opposites ;-)

What I would actually do, if you don't expect her to customize anything, is to use KM16a-cp3 from desga at the moment. Everyone says the surfing works just fine (=gecko job), it's just the customizing stuff that's buggy yet (and that's why *I* can't use it yet as main browser). But the number of important websites that don't work anymore with gecko1.8 are growing very rapidly now, and also javascript-heavy sites tend to freeze with old gecko.

I'd also enbable the privacy toolbar, and explain her a bit about keeping javascript and Ads usually blocked, only allow if really needed and the site trustworthy. The browser is IMO (:coolsmiling smiley not only securer but also much faster without JS, just unfortunately it then takes helper macros to block flash too, sigh...
And the blocked ads unfortunately produce false positives sometime, blocking stuff that is NO ad but something important. But perhaps she could handle a toggle button or two? No idea, don't know her.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2010 07:17PM by siria.

Date: August 17, 2010 09:53PM

Thank you all a lot for all the advice - I've got a good idea now of what's best to do and what not to do.... :cool:

Posted by: disrupted
Date: August 17, 2010 10:47PM

i agree with gunter..kmeleon in its default settings is the best way for novices, however 2 things you should change to avoid future headaches:

change cookie settings under privacy to accept all cookies
set useragent to firefox permanently (tools>user agent>firefox) or even better to firefox 3.5 (tools<useragent>custom) and enter this value:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.9.1.1) Gecko/20090715 Firefox/3.5.1

don't use that ua..it will cause problems f some sites like facebook and hotmail..the best alla-round ua spoof for kmeleon is opera:
Opera/10.00 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en) Presto/2.2.0

set it in custom and
make sure to uncheck (reset to default on exit)

and to make sury it's a trouble-free surf..apply the youtube and facebook css fixes there:
http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/CSSstylesheets

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2010 11:13PM by disrupted.

Date: August 19, 2010 11:50AM

Thanks disrupted for the extra advice - all set now.

Posted by: CJ
Date: August 21, 2010 06:04AM

disrupted
the best alla-round ua spoof for kmeleon is opera:

So far with 1.6a4 I've never had the need to make KM pretend to be anything other than what it is.

Am I just lucky?

Posted by: duffy2009
Date: August 25, 2010 06:54PM

disrupted ...

I switched my UA to the Opera version that you mentioned:

However, I noticed today when I went to G-mail, it stated that G-mail has switched to a newer version and that I should switch to "a more modern browser".

I had never seen that message before ... so I changed the UA back to the KM 1.5.4 default and went back into G-mail ... no slow up and and no message about switching to "a more modern browser". ... I will try everything again (no time today) but it looks like I may just keep my UA at the KM default.

Posted by: caktus
Date: August 25, 2010 08:26PM

duffy2009
"a more modern browser"

It seems about every day KM become more and more "a more modern browser". I wish more web site designers would figure that out.:mad: But it's good to know that Presto is "the best alla-round ua spoof for kmeleon", thanks.smiling smiley

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Posted by: ndebord
Date: August 26, 2010 01:05PM

CJ
disrupted

So far with 1.6a4 I've never had the need to make KM pretend to be anything other than what it is.

Am I just lucky?

CJ,

Nope, not just lucky, instead on the cutting edge. Gecko 1.9.xxx is what FireFox 3.5/6 and 4.0pre uses and that is what KM 1.6 uses too. KM 1.5.4 uses the older Gecko 1.8.xxx engine. As you use the newer Gecko, sites like Google are happy as they have deliberately tried to stop older browsers from using their sites.

N

Posted by: uggsoppliers
Date: August 27, 2010 08:37AM

The most effective method of purchasing a pair of genuine wholesale ugg boots australia is through ... Don't reprint this exact article.
UGG Cardy Boots .if you’re looking for cheap Ugg Boots or discount Ugg boots, you’ve arrived at the right place.wholesale ugg boots and discount Ugg Boots are superior in quality and finding information on this online is not always easy. Did you know that most of the Ugg boots come with a sixty day guarantee, that if you are not fully satisfied you can return for free. You have the choice for a refund or an exchange from your discount Ugg boots, for something else. Cost of shipping is covered in most cases, and there are other hidden fees. You have nothing to lose when you choose to go with Ugg boots.From Australia's Official Dictionary: The Macquarie Concise Dictionary - ug boot / Australian 100% merino sheepskin lined boot. Also called ugh boot , Wholesale Uggs .
There is even a line of women's Ugg boots. These are customized specially for the shape of a woman's foot.UGG Bailey Button Boots

Posted by: siria
Date: August 27, 2010 08:45AM

HA!! There he is, the evil U-G-G guy!!
I have a strong suspicion that this really had a stand-alone entry in the banned list... :cool:

Posted by: panzer
Date: August 27, 2010 08:47AM

And install veloz (speedup) macro.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2010 08:50AM by panzer.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.