General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Official 0.9 starting to crash
Posted by: Culpeper
Date: January 02, 2006 07:40AM

Hate to state this but over a period of time I am starting to see more and more general KM crashes during basic internet surfing. Something that used to never occur. It's becoming out-dated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Official 0.9 starting to crash
Posted by: Enaitz Jar
Date: January 02, 2006 08:51AM

Yes, there was a time when we were optimist about a new official version based on Fred's or Hao's work, it was to be founded a Council to discuss what to improve and there were coulourful rainbows everywhere.

Now we are at the start again, there are 2 or 3 different versions that could easily become the official new version, just take the official and update it with Brian Brun's latest patch, that's all. Yes, it could be betterly done than just updating (maybe the translation macro could be included) but do not forget that currently there is nothing, and it's better an just updated official than nothing.

Posted by: guenter
Date: January 02, 2006 10:23AM

Yes but can be sysetm - here the same - but even old for off line testing go down.

Date: January 02, 2006 05:12PM

I don't think it is something with XP. All my other Mozilla based browsers are running fine. Just KM 0.9. Something as simple as loading Yahoo.com as homepage can cause a general crash occassionally. Nevertheless, the general crashes are becoming more numerous as time goes on. It may be time, as Enaitz suggested, to patch it up.

Posted by: alain aupeix chez wanadoo fr
Date: January 02, 2006 05:21PM

@Culpeper

You can install Crash kplugin to help to solve your problem.

A+

Date: January 02, 2006 05:23PM

Where is Crash kplugin?

Posted by: alain aupeix chez wanadoo fr
Date: January 02, 2006 05:31PM

@Culpeper,

It's given with some unofficial builds

En4 for example

A+

Date: January 02, 2006 06:06PM

I installed Brian Brun's patch.

Posted by: bst82551
Date: January 02, 2006 06:37PM

Here is the crash plugin:
http://boisso.free.fr/kmeleon/crash.dll

Brian

Date: January 02, 2006 06:48PM

The problem is not that. If you can manage to install the crash kplugin you can also update the official to the last GRE (for example using Brian's patches) for sure.

This problem with the official version is not really a problem for the main users of this forum because most of us are intermediate to advanced users.

The problem is that the potential new users who are using K-Meleon for the first time just to "see how it looks" and to compare it with Firefox and the many browser options available nowadays will receive a really wrong impression of a browser which is constantly crashing and is full of bugs. You can not ask this people to update the GRE because this people will probably not even know what a GRE is. Yes, they are lots of updated unnoficials but think that these people will probably give only one chance to K-Meleon, and this chance will be given to the official for sure.

We are loosing lots of people by our innaceptable inacuracy.

Is really so difficult to make a clean K-Meleon 0'9 version with only the latest Brian's patch installed? We can take any time we need to release a real good and advanced official, but by now with an updated one will be covered and K-Meleon will stop being an obsolete and untrusting browser. If we keep waiting when we finally release the "good one" we will have a really bad reputation against us.

Date: January 02, 2006 06:54PM

Exactly! I agree with you completely, Enaitz! We need to fix everything NOW and put it out there instead of keeping it here in the forums where the majority of K-Meleon users don't even come.
I personally think Fred should be the one who puts together the updated browser. Of course, this would only be if he wanted to.

Brian

Date: January 02, 2006 07:31PM

Enaitz is absolutely correct. I have always approached KM as a basic user. My only beef has been all the confusion about getting an official release out there. Seems to me the "Bruns" patch is enough to create something like KM 0.9.1 official release. At least users will see that it has a current release date, download it, try it out, and use it. Right now, the forums resemble a group science fair project. Joe Blow, internet surfer, is going to look at the KM 0.9 release date or even these forums and say, "forget it!". Until something official is released, basic users should be, like Enaitz had done here, pointed towards installing the Bruns patch. One click and the browser is updated. That's all there is to it. It is extremely simple and gets the job done. Once it is installed the "about" page reads as follows:

"Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20041220 K-Meleon/0.9"

And that is good enough for my ladies.

Date: January 02, 2006 08:13PM

And we will keep talking about it instead of doing something ...

Who the hell has the administrator rights to make a version official and what is he waiting to publish a simply GRE updated K-Meleon to replace the current official? I will suggest to include latest umlauts and translation macros, but I will not even mention it if this is going to delay it.

I used to think that we were waiting for the pop up bug to be solved to publish the new version. Well the bug was solved and there is no security problem as said in this thread:

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?f=1&i=34294&t=34294

I did once (a month ago or so) publish an english "release candidate" consisting on the basic GRE updated K-Meleon (pop up bug fixed) only with the umlauts and translation macros added.

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?f=1&i=32905&t=32905

And as it was possible to enhance it with new additions there was no "official" reply and somebody suggested that I was going too fast.

I know that Fred or Hao can made it better, close to perfection. IMHO we should stop searching for perfection for a while and release a working and bug free official version now.

Date: January 02, 2006 09:46PM

Yes, this is what I was trying to say a while back. Just put out an updated one for now so that K-Meleon users won't be as vulnerable and we can work on putting other features in after that is done. We don't seem to have a sense of priorities or time.
AFAIK, nobody other than the old admins have any rights to post it to sourceforge, so it looks like we're still stuck.

Brian

Date: January 03, 2006 12:20AM

The founders are no longer interested in contributing to the life of KM. I think the current developers need to start a different URL, forums, and so forth and continue with K-Meleon II. Nothing on this entire website, outside of the forums, have any updated material since Jan-05. That is one year. No one is home. We can stop knocking on the door now. It's pointless.

Posted by: gray49
Date: January 03, 2006 12:37AM

I agree with Culpeper...
Treading water will not suffice...
It's time to move on and grow up...
There are talented people here who
can make this happen...
The status quo sucks...
K-Meleon deserves better...
All the hard working people
who make this a great browser
deserve better.
Peace,
Stuart

Date: January 03, 2006 01:12AM

Doesn't this mean we would have to rename the browser in order to have a corresponding sourceforge URL or would we use k-meleon.sourceforge.net... with a dash, unlike the current one?
Would we be able to redirect traffic from this one to the other?

Brian

Date: January 03, 2006 01:53AM

Well, I figured that since unless I took action and did this that it wasn't going to happen... so I registered another project under the name of "k-meleon" instead of "kmeleon". It said something about Abandoned Project Takeovers taking 2 to 3 weeks. I don't know if that means this will take 2 to 3 weeks or not, but I'm thinking it will. Here's a screenshot of the registration information:
http://brian2006.be/pics/SS/k-meleonreg.jpg

If any of this doesn't sit well with someone, please say something about it.

Brian

Date: January 03, 2006 02:07AM

THANK YOU!
THANK YOU!
THANK YOU!
THANK YOU!
THANK YOU!
THANK YOU!
THANK YOU!
THANK YOU!
THANK YOU!
THANK YOU!
THANK YOU!
THANK YOU!
THANK YOU!
THANK YOU!
THANK YOU!
THANK YOU!

Posted by: gray49
Date: January 03, 2006 02:09AM

Good for you Brian...
Maybe now K-Meleon can
find its own voice.
I believe that this effort is
essential if the browser is
going to survive.
Peace,
Stuart

Date: January 03, 2006 04:51AM

Yes, I believe it is as well. Are we even going to try to bring anything over from this website to the new one? Oh wait a second. Maybe I should post exactly what it said about APT's (Abandoned Project Takeovers):

A status indicating that a project is an 'APT' means that the project request has been flagged as an Abandoned Project Takeover. As stated during the registration process, these take 2 to 3 weeks to be fully processed.

I'm pretty sure this means that all data from the old K-Meleon website will be brought to this new one and that one or more of the old administrators will be contacted to confirm that this is okay. This is just what I suspect. Heck, it probably even means that we'll even keep the "kmeleon" name instead of "k-meleon". I don't know for sure as I've never registered anything before.

I think it just means they will hand over the rights to me, and I will, of course, hand them over to who they need to go to in order for things to work smoothly.

Brian

Posted by: Midas
Date: January 03, 2006 10:06AM

Well done, bst82551! Finally we see some action on a subject that has caused us much grief and alienated quite a few friends of the lizard.

Let's hope the new site can be made more community friendly and supportive than the present one, but for the time being I think both can coexist hapilly...

Date: January 03, 2006 11:26AM

At last good news!

Thanks Brian.

I don't know if it's still possible to keep this page by requesting the administrator rights and to give them to the 2 or 3 most active people here.

The problem is that we don't know which door to knock.

If a new page is going to be done we should first make a security backup of everything before done anything.

Date: January 04, 2006 12:47AM

Yes, we should. The problem with that is that I don't know how we would get in to back up everything. Does anybody else?

Brian

Date: January 04, 2006 01:27AM

Okay, so the project has now been registered. I'm starting a new thread for this. Here it is:

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?f=1&i=34362&t=34362

Brian

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.