General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Native toolbars
Posted by: Tene
Date: August 31, 2006 01:58PM

First of all, hello, I'm looking for a browser that respects native themes now that the Mozilla team have gone against their word and removed native theme support from Firefox 2.0.

I've noticed (I don't think it was there last time I tried K-Meleon?) that the toolbar permanently looks like Luna, despite never using the Luna visual style. I've had a quick look in the configuration files, is it possible to remove what I presume is a background image from the toolbars?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Native toolbars
Posted by: Sliderule
Date: August 31, 2006 02:52PM

Tene:

You asked:

I've noticed (I don't think it was there last time I tried K-Meleon?) that the toolbar permanently looks like Luna, despite never using the Luna visual style. I've had a quick look in the configuration files, is it possible to remove what I presume is a background image from the toolbars?

The answer is yes.

First, each 'SKIN' is located in a separate folder, typically found at: C:\Program Files\K-Meleon\skins[/b] . . . then the skin name you are using.

Within the skin, the background image file with each skin is named: back.bmp .

You may, replace this file, with any of your choice . . . I would suggest you first make a 'backup' of the current file (I rename the original file as backoriginal.bmp ) . . . then name the file of your choice to back.bmp .

Furthermore, you may see some 'skins' background files that you may download at:

http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?id=SkinsAndThrobbers

I hope this helps, welcome to K-Meleon, and, please be sure to let me know if this helps.

Sliderule

Posted by: Sliderule
Date: August 31, 2006 03:02PM

By the way, one additional note on the Skin Background . . .

From the Menu: Edit -> Preferences -> with Display on the left, ensure that Show Toolbar Background is checked so the background image back.bmp is used.

Sliderule

Posted by: guenter
Date: August 31, 2006 03:45PM

If You want k-m background to blend with Your system color automatically
ensure that Show Toolbar Background in unchecked else just delete or
better hide by renaming back.bmp.

But as implied by Sliderule most ppl here want to control k-m & to look differntly so else any bmp can be placed there as long as its name is back.bmp & create any "style". ppl even gave a famous picture from Tang dynasty a black and white else pastell color tone and used that together with Chinese Letter Icons.

Date: August 31, 2006 04:11PM

Thanks all, I just hadn't found the option to not show the background image winking smiley

Btw, I guess this should be a feature request or bug, but will the menu bar itself be natively skinned in the future?

Date: August 31, 2006 04:16PM

To be more clear (sorry), what I mean is when the user unselects "Display menu bar as a toolbar".

Posted by: guenter
Date: September 05, 2006 11:35AM

I am not sure whether i understand.

1.) Submenus - skinned totally by k-m not system? - that would be a nice request!

2.) Maybe You mean like a K-Ninja. Which has (like IE7 nowadays) no menus?
(A k-ninja is a specially adapted k-meleon theme that can have any k-m.exe ...)
It has mini menu and icons only.

The idea/rationale: after setting Your prefs You do not often use most of the menus:

- all You use everday is mouse gestures and right click menus or key shortcuts.

I You mean that? - You best set this pref to false in user.js

/* ---- THIS PREF IS CHANGED TO 'FALSE' TO HIDE THE MENU BAR ---- */
user_pref("kmeleon.toolband.Menu.visibility", false);

and maybe use only layers and a few select bars as visible.

btw. k-melleon has more features that You can find imidiately.
just ask here or look into forum search which gives faster answers.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.