General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
KM more responsiveness
Posted by: slayer
Date: January 29, 2010 08:14PM

You know those sites that load a large amount of images and scripts? How can I do to make KM more responsive to the user control, that accepting the ESC key, and let me click the stop loading button? Is there any gecko configuration, a macro or something that could help me at those cases?
The thing is that I don't want to wait at the page to load to stop its loading.

P.S. this is the third time I wrote this, the spell checker is crashing on me at this moment. Something related to the KERNEL32.dll. Probably the last update of the Kernel Extensions. So I'm not using the spell correction this time, so sorry for my English.
Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: KM more responsiveness
Posted by: siria
Date: January 29, 2010 08:47PM

Your english is PERFECT, so you don't even need a spellchecker grinning smiley
Personally I'm using the offline-button as some sort of panic button :cool: but of course that one stops ALL tabs and windows at once, so probably not quite what you want... But who knows, just a thought smiling smiley

Date: January 29, 2010 10:23PM

BTW siria I think I found why you can't run flash+10 on Win98 with the KE installed. I was trying to fix the kernel issue, and noticed that disabling the KE completely disables flash 10 so what I see is an empty box. That solves the spell-checker problem but I get no flash though. I'm playing with new KE setting to disallow the changes to affect Child Processes. Currently I'm using the win2K-SP4 compatibility but with the "child" option ticked. This new KE is in beta so I don't know if the options will change in the future.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: January 29, 2010 10:33PM

Policy Manager can be of some help. I use to stop javascript on some pages. You can control cookies, images and popups too. I have it tied to a button where I can change the default javascript. Search the forums for Flip_PM.kmm

Date: January 30, 2010 01:38AM

Here it is: Policies Manager. I have the extension installed, I'm going to try your macro now.
But I think that this doesn't solve the problem with an unknown site. I think that there is a preference that sets the browser more responsive.
What would be great is to have a timer that stops the loading of any page after x seconds. That way we could limit the download time.

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: January 31, 2010 02:20AM

One of my first post in this community/forum was almost the same. I don't get if you are requesting the same but, here it is:

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,12839

The message with the solution:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,12839,13047#msg-12860

Oh, and with a fix hehehe
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,12839,13047#msg-13047

6 years ago... wow

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2010 02:27AM by JohnHell.

Posted by: Lux
Date: January 31, 2010 06:38AM

I have a feeling you can solve your problem with the following user.js settings...

user_pref("content.interrupt.parsing", true);←Setting this value "true" makes K-Meleon able to stop loading temporarily to set your operation at the top priority

user_pref("content.max.tokenizing.time",some integer #);←lowering this value allows K-Meleon to be more responsive although page load time will increase in exchange. The default value is "the tripled value of "contnet.notify.interval".

user_pref("content.notify.backoffcount", some integer #);←This value allows you to set the number of times of redrawing of the page. For example, if you put 5, K-Meleon redraws 5 times and after that, it waits until the whole contents of the page has been loaded. The default value is "-1"(means unlimited number of redrawing)

user_pref("content.notify.interval", some integer #);←This value determines the interval which is between the redrawing. If you put 120000(default), K-Meleon redraws the page every 0.12 second.

user_pref("content.notify.ontimer", true);←All the settings above doesn't work, as long as this value is not set "true".

user_pref("content.switch.threshold", some integer #);←Raising the value makes K-Meleon Responsive at the expense of page load time. The default value is "750000"(0.75sec)
There are two modes in Gecko-related browsers. The one is the mode in which the browser is trying to display the page fast but its UI is not responsive. The other one is the mode in which the browser is trying to make its UI responsive but displays the page slowly. This preference controls the interval between switching these modes.

Forgive me for my bad English.

Posted by: siria
Date: January 31, 2010 09:02PM

WHOW!
Looks very interesting, thank you! smiling smiley

Posted by: JamesD
Date: February 01, 2010 02:02AM

That is very good research, Lux. Nothing wrong with your English.

Date: February 02, 2010 12:15AM

All of these replies were great. So I'm going to try some of the configurations to get the best performance. I'm already using the GREEN/RED flag to enable/disable javascript. Thanks to all, and if you have more tricks or hints, please keep posting.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.