General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
This damn Ctrl+Del
Posted by: Zvonko
Date: June 04, 2018 07:04AM

How to disable this KM hotkey?

Its effect is, as far as I can see, to close the current page and to go to previous page, isn't it?

My problem with this hotkey is: On a forum page, when I am writing a new post, during editing my text I often use hotkeys to delete some parts of it. One of this hotkeys is Ctrl+Del, which in Notepad deletes the line right to cursor (or in Word the next word). But in KM the effect is that the page is closed, and the entire text of my post ist LOST! I am going crazy about this.

So: How to disable this hotkey in KM?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2018 07:06AM by Zvonko.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: This damn Ctrl+Del
Posted by: siria
Date: June 04, 2018 05:31PM

Zvonko
How to disable this KM hotkey?

Its effect is, as far as I can see, to close the current page and to go to previous page, isn't it?

My problem with this hotkey is: On a forum page, when I am writing a new post, during editing my text I often use hotkeys to delete some parts of it. One of this hotkeys is Ctrl+Del, which in Notepad deletes the line right to cursor (or in Word the next word). But in KM the effect is that the page is closed, and the entire text of my post ist LOST! I am going crazy about this.

So: How to disable this hotkey in KM?

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?4,139554

2 years, I admire your patience 8)

Update:
But this does work for me in KM 1.6, exactly as you say:
CTRL VK_DELETE deletes the next word in an edit field.

No idea if the reason is any custom stuff in your version, or if it happens in newer KM versions, or it's some other tools you use, or why ever. Have also searched around in the newest KM-version files, but cannot find this shortcut defined anywhwere. That usually means that the System shortcuts are executed.

Would try if adding this helps anything:
Edit > Configuration > Accelerators
(or open accel.cfg directly)

CTRL VK_DELETE=
or
CTRL VK_DELETE=""
or, but 0 means "do nothing":
CTRL VK_DELETE=0

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2018 05:42PM by siria.

Date: June 04, 2018 07:30PM

Thank you, siria! Yes, it was an existing entry in accel.cfg, intended to improve the behavior of KM in the URL field (where originally Ctrl+Del removes the whole url). I was not aware that this is not only slightly improving the effect in URL field, but also causing the problem described in my first posting here. So I removed now the CRTL VK_DELETE from accel.cfg.

Posted by: anonymous
Date: June 04, 2018 10:54PM

@Zvonko
It likely happens in all K-Meleon versions you have. Search for lines with navBack or ID_NAV_BACK in browser\defaults\settings\accel.cfg and disable them. What keyboard input language is configured?

Date: June 05, 2018 05:58PM

Just to make clear that there is an underlaying problem in the effect of the hotkey Ctrl+Del in KM:

When I am writting this in the window for new postings, the hotkey behaves like in most text editors, in edit fields of Windows Explorer etc.: it deletes the next word. This is a kind of standard behavior for this hotkey.

However, if you use this hotkey in the URL field, the effect is that the whole URL is deleted. In other browsers the hotkey behaves "normal" in both cases.

This should be corrected some day...

Two years ago I added a entry to accel.cfg which wa intended to improve the effect of this hotkey in the URL field. It took two years for me to understand that this entry caused an even bigger problem.

Date: June 05, 2018 06:22PM

Zvonko
However, if you use this hotkey in the URL field, the effect is that the whole URL is deleted. In other browsers the hotkey behaves "normal" in both cases.

Yeah that's bad for people who are used to this hotkey.
Am not sure if it can be fixed or not, but wouldn't bet on it.

Can only suggest how to restore the URLBAR when it was accidentally deleted:
Option-1: switch to next tab and back again
Option-2: add to accels.cfg "SHIFT CTRL VK_DELETE=macros(Go_Reset)"

SHIFT+CTRL+DEL must be hit manually too, but directly after hitting "CTRL+DEL" it's probably the fastest way.

Unless you discover more side-effects to this ;-)

Date: June 05, 2018 06:31PM

anonymous
It likely happens in all K-Meleon versions you have. Search for lines with navBack or ID_NAV_BACK in browser\defaults\settings\accel.cfg and disable them. What keyboard input language is configured?

Thinking about it, some dim memory comes up again... yeah a few years ago there was some prob with back-button and input fields and deletions! But can't remember details now, and wasn't it a beta? Would have to dig deeper to find it again.

Posted by: anonymous
Date: June 05, 2018 09:21PM

@Zvonko
You didn't test with default configuration? I didn't expect that.

@siria
Now I know that his browsers work fine and there was no language related problem. Blocking hot-keys was useful for some flash applications. (Off-Topic: I disabled all cipher preferences except one in a fork and connected to github.)

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.