General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Password manager only semi functional sad smiley
Posted by: Rickajho
Date: September 28, 2018 09:55PM

Hi all

I didn't know quite where to ask this as I don't know if it's a general settings problem or a build specific issue. I couldn't find much of anything about Password manager problems in a forum search.

Running KM 74 for Windows 2000, most recent version. ~> [TEST BUILD] K-Meleon 74 on Goanna 2.2 (palemoon-26.5) for Win2000 [Build 20180718]

I copied over cert8.db, key3.db and signons.sqlite from Firefox. Password manager sees the FF sites & passwords just fine and is adding new sites/passwords to the support files.

But that's it. If I'm supposed to see a popup asking me if I want to save a new password or modify an existing password that isn't happening. And KM is never filling in username and/or password info for any of the sites that are present in Password manager.

I looked at about:config and I'm not seeing anything I think I should change. I'm hoping it's a horribly obvious something I'm overlooking. Help is greatly appreciated.

Rick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Password manager only semi functional sad smiley
Posted by: JohnHell
Date: September 28, 2018 10:16PM

All should be available at preference panel (F2 by default) > Privacy & security from enabling it to manage passwords.

You can manage passwords too, as "shortcut", from Tools > Privacy > View Data > Passwords

I'm not a big fun of passwords storage in browsers, so I could be wrong on something else. But should work that way.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2018 10:18PM by JohnHell.

Posted by: siria
Date: September 28, 2018 10:20PM

KM74-Goanna? Yikes... what's your operating system??

Please take a look at this info macro
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?9,142878
Just copy the kmm file into your macros folder, restart,
click menu Help>Troubleshooting INFO,
in the confirm-box click "no"

It shows some 'usual suspect' prefs.
Frankly I'm not really familiar with password managers too (handling logins with cookies) Would try if toggling the autofill pref helps?

PS: autofill can be quite dangerous, be careful ;-)
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/browser-autofill-profiles-can-be-abused-for-phishing-attacks/
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/jan/10/browser-autofill-used-to-steal-personal-details-in-new-phising-attack-chrome-safari

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2018 10:52PM by siria.

Date: September 29, 2018 03:26PM

JohnHell
All should be available at preference panel (F2 by default) > Privacy & security from enabling it to manage passwords.

You can manage passwords too, as "shortcut", from Tools > Privacy > View Data > Passwords

I'm not a big fun of passwords storage in browsers, so I could be wrong on something else. But should work that way.

Nothing there to see. The Remember login data option is checked and as mentioned the data for sites and passwords is in there when viewing Manage Passwords and Sites

I am testing this on sites known to accept login data under Firefox and those same sites just site and do nothing with unsername or password fills under KM.

Date: September 29, 2018 03:56PM

siria
KM74-Goanna? Yikes... what's your operating system??

A very stable W2K Pro on an older IBM lap top. Not my only computer but this KM74 Goanna release made browsing doable again under Win 2000. Much more than with Opera 12...

Before anyone asks - yes, I am running real time AV software on it.

siria
Please take a look at this info macro
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?9,142878
Just copy the kmm file into your macros folder, restart,
click menu Help>Troubleshooting INFO,
in the confirm-box click "no"

It shows some 'usual suspect' prefs.

Frankly I'm not really familiar with password managers too (handling logins with cookies) Would try if toggling the autofill pref helps?

PS: autofill can be quite dangerous, be careful ;-)
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/browser-autofill-profiles-can-be-abused-for-phishing-attacks/
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/jan/10/browser-autofill-used-to-steal-personal-details-in-new-phising-attack-chrome-safari

I had seen that macro and was wondering what it would show. Thanks for giving me a nudge. Wow - lot's of great data. The only two options that come up repeatedly in a web search about this problem which are in this version of prefs are:

signon.autofillForms = true (Autofill form fields, Logins)
signon.rememberSignons = true (Remember Passwords)

Since those two appear to be set correctly I'm not sure what to look at next.

Thanks for getting back to me guys.

Posted by: siria
Date: September 29, 2018 05:57PM

Ah right, remember only now:
switch on the error console (in Tools), or show its button (View>Toolbars>Javascript Console)
Click the "All" button.
Are there any errors about login stuff?

Because I do see a couple errors, but that doesn't mean you get them too, because our systems are different.
Btw do you have wrappers or KernelEx installed? I heard with wrappers it can run KM75, and with KernelEx even that newest KM today (KM7677-Goanna)

In general be aware that this KM74goanna is only a "test" or alpha build!
It very likely has a bunch of bugs. And may keep those forever, considering KM's dev situation. This version is a combination of an old user fork in 2014 of official KM74, as shell, with the engine of Goanna inherited from PaleMoon26.
And the old user fork, the KM shell, was heavily modified, with some addons baked in which can't be removed or managed. Just be aware.

Okay, what you can also try is a new profile, with fresh created files, nothing copied over from Firefox:
Edit>Manage Profiles > Check "Ask at startup" > Restart > Create a NEW profile.
(the old one is still there, can be chosen at startups)

Posted by: KM2005
Date: December 23, 2018 04:30PM

Rickajho

I am testing this on sites known to accept login data under Firefox and those same sites just site and do nothing with unsername or password fills under KM.

Some quirks I've seen using password manager, depending on which website doesn't auto-prefill with password manager, may have to:
1. Click the website credentials box then up or down arrow key to get the credentials to be entered.
2. One website I ran into recently the password manager won't immediately work with the up or down arrow. I got the credentials to fill by entering a character. And, if it's not the correct character of the credential, delete the character. Then the up or down arrow method works.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2018 04:38PM by KM2005.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.