General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
about:config question
Posted by: clutterless
Date: November 24, 2019 06:23AM

I want to edit my about:config preferences so that all plugins are set to Always Activate or
fully enabled.

Can it be done?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: about:config question
Posted by: siria
Date: November 24, 2019 08:04AM

clutterless
I want to edit my about:config preferences so that all plugins are set to Always Activate or
fully enabled.

Can it be done?

Not sure, but try if this is what you mean:
plugin.scan.plid.all = true

This ENABLES all np-Plugins at next browser start (on about:plugins, or on about:addons=>Plugins)

But whether the browser ASKS before running them on single pages is a different thing.
Open page "about:permissions", it has a toggle for Plugins: Always ask / allow / block

I remember there's more somewhere, where FILETYPES are defined, but can't look it up in modern KM at the moment. Perhaps on "about:support"... or filetypes linked from about:permissions too?
At any rate it used the same setting sheets as in Firefox too...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2019 08:22AM by siria.

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: November 24, 2019 03:33PM

plugin.default.state = 2
(or 1)

And then, per plugin... (example flash)

plugin.state.flash = 2
(2 always active)

You have kind of explanation here and, as far as I can tell, working since 74 to 75.1 (and Goanna should too):
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=866390#c17

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2019 03:34PM by JohnHell.

Date: November 24, 2019 11:40PM

sira and JohnHell, I typed my reply and clicked the Preview button. Something is wrong.

Look at this screenshot. I did not add that crazy emoji icon in the middle of a word.

https://i.postimg.cc/02f7Ljp9/what-is-this.jpg

I'm using the latest KM-Goanna update. Is there something wrong with my browser?

Date: November 25, 2019 12:35AM

clutterless
sira and JohnHell, I typed my reply and clicked the Preview button. Something is wrong.
Look at this screenshot. I did not add that crazy emoji icon in the middle of a word.
https://i.postimg.cc/02f7Ljp9/what-is-this.jpg
I'm using the latest KM-Goanna update. Is there something wrong with my browser?

Nothing to worry, not mysterious at all grinning smiley
Smileys here just consist of 2 characters in the editor, in this case ":"+"p" => :p
Unfortunately the Phorum software doesn't check if left and right are any spaces or dots etc, those characters get even transformed in the middle of words.
To prevent this in single messages if needed, there's a little checkbox below the subject line.

(What you can worry a lot more about is postimg.cc, they are playing so dirty tricks to users that awhile ago lots of forums did block their old domain, so they had to get a new domain, now cc)

Date: November 25, 2019 02:31AM

What siria said.

OFF-TOPIC WARNING
THIS POST IS OFF-TOPIC

siria
(What you can worry a lot more about is postimg.cc, they are playing so dirty tricks to users that awhile ago lots of forums did block their old domain, so they had to get a new domain, now cc)

There wasn't (or at least haven't read) an official explanation about what happened. They wake up with the domain blocked by the registrar entity without any further notice. But, to date, unless you have another info, there wasn't a reason of dirty tricks or anything else. To me, at least, is a total mystery. They didn't even tell registered users what happened.

Date: November 25, 2019 07:42AM

offtopic / regarding postimg:
Yes there was, and I was shocked myself when discovering accidentally they transformed completely harmless looking direct image links into full blown iframes, incl scripts etc! For every little image an own iframe. Either when JS is enabled, or when saving a page to disk, despite still blocked JS. Have also posted about it somewhere here in detail, and luckily a user explained when it happens and how to prevent it (the fix is the accept-pref "*/*")

Re: postimage usage
Posted by: rodocop
Date: November 25, 2019 08:59PM

Still cannot find better image hosting than postimage.

It has small and versatile portable freeware to take screenshots, edit and upload them - and the images themselves are hosted forever for registered users. The optimal combination never found across other image hosters. So Postimage will be my choice for soon.

Date: November 26, 2019 06:31AM

I understand sira. Thanks for explaining about the Phorum software.

I started using postimg.cc because uploading images to this site was extremely quick and easy.
Many other image hosting sites are drowning in ads. If you guys think there is something wrong
with postimg.cc, recommend another ad free image host and I'll switch.

Getting back to the topic of enabling all plugins.

K-Meleon does not have a plugin.state preference. A couple of days ago I created this integer.
It didn't work.

K-Meleon does not have a listing for Plugins under about:permissions.

If you google, there are many documents similar to this one about enabling or disabling all plugins:

https://www.ghacks.net/2013/07/09/how-to-make-sure-that-a-firefox-plugin-never-activates-again/

From what I've read about Firefox, it's impossible to fully enable all plugins. I suppose an
extension that would override all browser settings would be the solution.

Date: November 26, 2019 02:16PM

The listings are at about:addons or about:plugins. Switchable in the first URL and merely legacy(from old netscape, but still present to date)/informative, the second one.

Continuing with the off-topic, the image hosting I think fits better my needs to date, is imgBB.com, but sometimes is slow, due to the growing popularity. Another one is Imagebam.com (even though it doesn't allow direct link (hotlinking) without "tricks"). And, then, would be Postimg. It was in first place, but after some... oddities with how they manage images (personal preferences, and even I reported them to fix, without doing anything), dropped to second option.

All have their flaws.

Posted by: rodocop
Date: November 26, 2019 11:50PM

Let's discuss image hostings in special OT thread!

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.