General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
I'd Like to Update the Documentation
Posted by: RJJIII
Date: January 15, 2022 12:03PM

Hello,

I've used K-Meleon on and off before, but never gotten involved. I'd like to begin updating the documentation. My goal is to update a page from the wiki each week, and gradually pull all of the documentation up to date.

Here is a rough draft of a new main landing page for the wiki:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/wiki/newKMeleonWiki

I tried to address the following issues:
- broken links
- out of date information
- no clear download link

If there is no objection, going forward I would like to treat the Goanna-based branch of K-Meleon as current because it is under active development, and the Gecko-based as legacy considering it has been over 5 years without active development. Also on that note, I will try to be clear that K-Meleon was Gecko-based and is now Goanna-based while maintaing clarity about K-Meleon being its own project.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I'd Like to Update the Documentation
Posted by: JohnHell
Date: January 15, 2022 02:43PM

As you please, if you have the time and energy for it, but...

RJJIII
Here is a rough draft of a new main landing page for the wiki:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/wiki/newKMeleonWiki

Hotlinking is not a good idea as roytam needed to change the domain a few times, so a direct download link to the latest 7z is not adequate and a a waste on efforts (unless you are going to be every week changing the wiki pages and even if the limited database by sourceforge doesn't explode by the wiki history growth, and I'm saying this seriously), but a link to the active and pinned forum thread (there has been and there will be others when version/build numbering changes) as it is in the downloads section, news and others sections of the pages.

Setting up a download link that directs people to the download page in the home page is redundant, as there is already a download link on the left menu.

Modify the download page as you wish to remark the latest download link, instead, as has been tried several times.

Also, have in mind that you don't control how the home page looks, as is not a wiki page, but a PHP mix of a couple of wiki pages, this is KMeleonWiki and News (english versions).

List of wiki pages are here:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/wiki/pageindex

RJJIII
If there is no objection, going forward I would like to treat the Goanna-based branch of K-Meleon as current because it is under active development, and the Gecko-based as legacy considering it has been over 5 years without active development. Also on that note, I will try to be clear that K-Meleon was Gecko-based and is now Goanna-based while maintaing clarity about K-Meleon being its own project.

That is not strictly true. K-meleon isn't now based on Goanna. K-meleon has an unofficial development fork wrapping the Goanna engine that, in some way, has become the "official" K-meleon as there isn't any other development (note that I'm not undervaluing it or anything else, I'm describing why K-meleon on Goanna is and is not official at the same time).

Is it, or may it be considered as current active development? Well... I don't see that clear at all to be "cleared" in a note.

Isn't less true that is a fork and roytam makes changes to it to hold the Goanna engine, but K-meleon base is the same as the Gecko, as, I have told a few times, K-meleon is not a browser in itself, is a shell for the engine plus some extra capabilities as macro language, skinning, etc.

As told above, focus on remark where to find the latest download on the downloads page with the limited tools given by wiki pages.

Give any clarifications that you consider needed, but having in mind what it is and what is not.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2022 02:59PM by JohnHell.

Date: January 15, 2022 06:28PM

Thanks, I appreciate the explanation.

I can be sure to link to the pinned thread (in general going forward other wiki/forum pages rather than external hotlinks).

I also have a better understanding now of how the pages connect.

I am somewhat confused on how to describe the various versions. You're saying that roytam's releases are an active fork, correct? Are you also saying that version should still be described as "based on Gecko"? If his releases are not official, is the 75.1 or 76 RC2 offical, or is there no official release?

For the documentation/wiki, I think most of the pages can be written for many versions (how to block pop up ads or change a search engine don't require any reference to version numbers.) but some pages (like the portable page on making a portable K-Meleon) refer by necessity to specific versions of K-Meleon. In those instances, should the documentation/wiki describe how to use 75.1, 76 RC2, or the 76.x fork from Roytam?

I'm posting about this in the forum first, because I want to get things straight before updating the documentation. I hope none of this comes off as rude or stepping on toes. I like the software and would like to contribute.

Date: January 15, 2022 09:33PM

RJJIII
I am somewhat confused on how to describe the various versions. You're saying that roytam's releases are an active fork, correct?

Yes, and to K-meleon, and I mean this site, the browser itself, the original project, as you wish to understand it, the main build to date, despite is not part of the original development.

RJJIII
Are you also saying that version should still be described as "based on Gecko"?

Roytam's bilds aren't Gecko based nor are referenced as they are. They are Goanna engine based. Nothing related to Gecko, but, after all Goanna is a fork of Gecko winking smiley

But, no, the engine is Goanna.

RJJIII
If his releases are not official, is the 75.1 or 76 RC2 offical, or is there no official release?

Until, and including, 76RC (actually it was 76.0 but for some reason large to explain is not the final version) all were from the original development/developer and so official in terms of the original K-meleon project.

Roytam's releases numbering, if I'm not wrong, started on 76.X, where X is more than 0.

Some refer to, and we tried too, official as just version number, 76.0, and the roytam's builds as 76.xG stating the change of engine and not strictly official, despite, as I said, it is the actual K-meleon version considered the last (the last because it has the newest engine) and so it was included in the downloads section and has its own subforum and being referenced there.

RJJIII
For the documentation/wiki, I think most of the pages can be written for many versions (how to block pop up ads or change a search engine don't require any reference to version numbers.) but some pages (like the portable page on making a portable K-Meleon) refer by necessity to specific versions of K-Meleon. In those instances, should the documentation/wiki describe how to use 75.1, 76 RC2, or the 76.x fork from Roytam?

Portability works the same way for all versions. All is controlled by the ini files.

Then there is the portableApps that some people make that include avoid *any* footprint on the system, but that is other portability not related to the one already available in K-meleon itself without any hacking.

RJJIII
I'm posting about this in the forum first, because I want to get things straight before updating the documentation. I hope none of this comes off as rude or stepping on toes. I like the software and would like to contribute.

You did right and is very welcome, believe me. Those "K-meleon oldies" around here winking smiley, or we don't have time or energy, or even language barrier, to accomplish a full update to the docs.

For example I always wanted some kind of interactive guide and I never did because that eats to much time and I spent the time on more urgent life tasks.

As I said in my first phrase, if you have the energy, go for it.

You are free stepping on my toes while you don't change the facts winking smiley (maybe you don't know K-meleon in deep and make mistakes, for example) There, maybe I'm stubborn.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2022 09:38PM by JohnHell.

Date: January 15, 2022 10:20PM

JohnHell
[ . . . ]

You did right and is very welcome, believe me. Those "K-meleon oldies" around here winking smiley, or we don't have time or energy, or even language barrier, to accomplish a full update to the docs.

For example I always wanted some kind of interactive guide and I never did because that eats to much time and I spent the time on more urgent life tasks.

As I said in my first phrase, if you have the energy, go for it.
Thanks again for breaking all of this down. And yes, there's a lot to update. I think giving myself a goal of 1 page a week will keep it from getting overwhelming.

You are free stepping on my toes while you don't change the facts winking smiley (maybe you don't know K-meleon in deep and make mistakes, for example) There, maybe I'm stubborn.
Lol, gotcha. I think it's okay if I make mistakes as long as I'm learning from them.

Take care

Date: January 27, 2022 09:18AM

Just an update on this. So far I've gone back through a little over 20 pages. From John's link, I clearly have a whole lot more left. I'm trying to focus on going through high-level pages to improve: links, accuracy, clarity, relevance, and consitency (in that order).

Date: January 27, 2022 02:15PM

RJJIII
From John's link, I clearly have a whole lot more left.

611, to be specific, but have in mind that there are, among them, not only language specific pages (I try to maintain some of the spanish ones), but there are also test pages and pages that shouldn't be there with 0 data, literally, or useless unable to delete them.

Reference Manual
Date: August 04, 2022 09:25PM

I'm not sure if this should go in a new thread, but I just realized that I have updated pages in the reference manual which says, "While this reference manual is under development, please discuss first in the forum/devlist if you want to make changes to this page or its subpages, because we need to keep them all consistent." I didn't realize it because it's possible to get to the subpages from several directions. So a little late, here are the subpages before and after changes:

CommandLineOptions
Before:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/wiki/view;CommandLineOptions?version=6
After:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/wiki/CommandLineOptions
Reason for changes:
The description of how to open KM with a profile from a specified directory was incorrect/incomplete.

BmpmenuPlugin
Before:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/wiki/view;BmpmenuPlugin?version=1
After:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/wiki/BmpmenuPlugin
Reason for changes:
The page was incomplete: "<! This is only a stub. "

JsbridgePlugin
Before:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/wiki/view;JsbridgePlugin?version=9
After:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/wiki/JsbridgePlugin
Reason for changes:
The page was incomplete. It still is incomplete, but I need to test the various functions before I can finish it.

Anybody feel free to give me feedback here if you notice any issues or have any questions

Re: Reference Manual
Date: August 05, 2022 01:24AM

The only far reference I have found is a post by rmn (probably he started it). I don't know.

I think the best answer to the disclaimer is the same you just wrote:
RJJIII
Anybody feel free to give me feedback here if you notice any issues or have any questions

As you can see, all that happens with these things is that someone starts, don't have time, etc, etc, etc, and, even the developers, and I don't remember if rmn was, but was a power user, leaves and then, here you are asking. 16 years later grinning smiley but almost to the void XD

Also, back then was when there was a devlist (mailing list), active developers, etc.

So, don't worry. Edit it.

My feedback on Bmpmenu plugin is that you did a good job. You are doing a god job.

While most of us had to figure out what the kplugin did, what the prefs were involved, etc, you did very well.

I'm amazed how much knowledge do you have about K-meleon smiling smiley You looked to me like a newbie, but no. Or you studied it very well grinning smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2022 01:27AM by JohnHell.

Date: August 06, 2022 12:29AM

Lol thanks. I just accept that there's much in life that I don't know. That makes it easy to learn.

Posted by: adodupan
Date: August 14, 2022 05:06PM

CreateButton, CreateCallbackButton
These functions are not implemented.

AddToolbar

AddToolbar
The current implementation of this function does not work as expected.

Somewhere i wrote almost the same comment, in fact this function works as expected.
You can try this function in error console, then open a new km window and you will see the new toolbar there.
const JSB = Components.classes['@kmeleon/jsbridge;1'].getService(Components.interfaces.nsIJSBridge);
JSB.SetMenuCallback('Misc', 'Test AddToolbar function', function () {
   JSB.AddToolbar('TestToolbar');
}, '');
So, that's what Dorian was expecting smiling smiley
This function is unusable in km addons.

Id
Kris_88

siria
Regarding parameters, macros can use 1 (?), and it must be a string (?) not some object, which can inside be accessed as $ARG:
macros(mymacro(sometext));

Yes, it works surprisingly.
Thank you!

jsb.id( null, 'macros(mymacro(123))' );

mymacro{
alert($ARG);
}

GetCmdList
You can see the registered commands.
In practice, i did not see the need for such a function. Perhaps in some hypothetical circumstances when you use the SetAccel function and you need to check if some key combination is already being used.

AddListener
Paste this code into the error console, then open, switch, close tabs and windows:
Components.utils.import('resource://gre/modules/Services.jsm');
const JSB = Components.classes['@kmeleon/jsbridge;1'].getService(Components.interfaces.nsIJSBridge);
const TEST = {
   observe: function (subject, topic, data) {
      if (topic == 'kmeleon-switchtab')
         Services.console.logStringMessage('kmeleon-switchtab: ' + subject.document.documentURIObject.spec);
      else
         Services.console.logStringMessage(topic);
   }
};
JSB.AddListener(TEST);

GetActiveBrowser, GetCurrentWindow, GetWindows
Open several windows in km and several websites in different tabs, then paste this code into the error console and make some tests:
Components.utils.import('resource://gre/modules/Services.jsm');
JSB.SetMenuCallback('Misc', 'Test GetActiveBrowser (get url)', function () {
   Services.console.logStringMessage('url: ' + JSB.GetActiveBrowser().contentDOMWindow.document.documentURIObject.spec);
}, '');
JSB.SetMenuCallback('Misc', 'Test GetCurrentWindow (get url)', function () {
   Services.console.logStringMessage('wnd.tab.length: ' + JSB.GetCurrentWindow().getTabs().length);
   for (var a in JSB.GetCurrentWindow().getTabs()) {
      Services.console.logStringMessage(
         'wnd.tab[' + a + '].url: ' +
         JSB.GetCurrentWindow().getTabs()[a].contentDOMWindow.document.documentURIObject.spec);
   }
}, '');
JSB.SetMenuCallback('Misc', 'Test GetWindows (get url)', function () {
   Services.console.logStringMessage('wnd.length: ' + JSB.GetWindows().length);
   for (var a in JSB.GetWindows()) {
      Services.console.logStringMessage('wnd[' + a + '].tab.length: ' + JSB.GetWindows()[a].getTabs().length);
      for (var z in JSB.GetWindows()[a].getTabs()) {
         Services.console.logStringMessage(
            'wnd[' + a + '].tab[' + z + '].url: ' +
            JSB.GetWindows()[a].getTabs()[z].contentDOMWindow.document.documentURIObject.spec);
      }
   }
}, '');
RegisterCmd
One example from my old km when it is necessary for a menu item or a button to be checked or disabled. Paste this code into the error console:
Components.utils.import('resource://gre/modules/Preferences.jsm');
[
   ['network.cookie.cookieBehavior', 'Block Co&okies', [2, 0], 'cookie', 'Toggle cookie acceptance', ],
   ['javascript.enabled', 'Block Java&script', [false, true], 'javascript', 'Toggle JavaScript execution', 'VK_F7'],
   ['dom.disable_open_during_load', 'Block &Popups', [true, false], 'popup', 'Toggle popup blocking', 'VK_F8'],
   ['permissions.default.image', 'Block &Images', [2, 1], 'image', 'Toggle image loading', 'VK_F9'],
   ['image.animation_mode', 'Block Image Ani&mation', ['none', 'normal'], 'animation', 'Toggle image animation', ],
   ['permissions.default.object', 'Block Objec&ts', [2, 1], 'object', 'Toggle object loading', ],
   ['kmeleon.flashblock', 'Block F&lash', [true, false], 'flash', 'Toggle Flashblock', ],
   ['kmeleon.adblocking', 'Block A&dvertisement', [true, false], 'advertisement', 'Toggle Ad-Blocking StyleSheet', ],
   ['browser.display.use_document_colors', 'Block &Colors', [false, true], 'color', 'Toggle page colors', ],
   ['browser.frames.enabled', 'Block &Frames', [false, true], 'frame', 'Toggle frame support', ]
].forEach(function([pref, desc, value, cmnd, msg, accel]) {
   JSB.RegisterCmd(
      'privacy' + cmnd + 'cmnd', 
      msg, 
      function () {
         Preferences.set(pref, Preferences.get(pref) == value[0] ? value[1] : value[0]);
      }, 
      '', 
      function () { /* enabled */
         return ((cmnd == 'flash' && Preferences.get('javascript.enabled') == false) ? false : true);
      }, 
      function () { /* checked */
         return (Preferences.get(pref) == value[0]);
      }
   );
   JSB.SetMenu('TestPrivacy', 1, desc, 'privacy' + cmnd + 'cmnd', '');
   if (typeof accel != 'undefined')
      JSB.SetAccel(accel, 'privacy' + cmnd + 'cmnd');
});
JSB.RegisterCmd( /* button command */
   'btncmnd',
   '',
   function () {
      Preferences.set('javascript.enabled', !Preferences.get('javascript.enabled'));
   },
   'chrome://global/skin/icons/information-64.png',
   function () { /* enabled */
      return true; /* set a condition here when the button will be disabled */
   },
   function () { /* checked */
      return !Preferences.get('javascript.enabled');
   }
);
JSB.AddButton(
   '&Go Buttons',
   'btncmnd',
   'TestPrivacy',
   'Test RegisterCmd function\nRight click for more options.'
);
I wrote a small simple addon, hoping it can help you in your tests. Inside, you can see how to use most of the jsbridge functions.
Important:
in pref "kmeleon.install_firefox_extension" set value false,
in pref "consoleservice.enabled" set value true.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2022 07:49PM by adodupan.

Date: August 15, 2022 01:53AM

Wow, thanks adodupan! I'll go through and update the jsbridge page soon.

I would never have thought about using "AddToolbar" that way; I had assumed it worked similar to the macro command. But yes, I just tested it to overwrite Browser Con&figuration and it worked. Also, that's all GetCmdList appeared to do when I looked into it, but it seemed strange so I assumed that I didn't understand. I wonder if Dorian had specific use cases for debugging when it came to those?

I appreciate the demos and even the entire extension. It really does help to have a working example from someone who understands the system.

Breadcrumbs ideas, wiki organization
Date: November 05, 2022 07:37AM

I've updated most of the wiki outside of user-submitted content (macros, themes, styelsheets) and the development information (building KM, CVS access, etc.) and I've gotten a better understanding of the structure. Many pages in the wiki have breadcrumbs or did have breadcrumbs containing a somewhat confusing and even misleading trail. It seems that the original homepage of the wiki was:

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/wiki/KMeleonWiki

And because those links embedded into a paragraph were difficult to navigate, a "Welcome" page was created that also functioned as a homepage for the wiki:

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/wiki/Welcome

Thus, many pages on the wiki have breadcrumbs that begin with the old homepage, the old "welcome" page, or both. But the site now has the sidebar links for readers to navigate. I've gone through the links on the old homepage and welcome page and I've made sure that those links are present and easy to access via one of the top-level sidebar links.

I'm considering now going through and updating the breadcrumbs on up-to-date pages (not historical stuff or user-submitted stuff). It has to be done manually, so I thought I'd seek feedback before starting. I'll list a few of the options for breadcrumbs below and explain a bit why there isn't a perfect option:

1. K-Meleon > Sidebar Link > Page
What I think would be the best option is to start every trail from either K-Meleon or "K-Meleon Wiki" so that the updated breadcrumbs remain visually similar to the old macro library breadcrumbs. The first crumb would link to kmeleonbrowser.org. This is similiar to the old trails, but would more accurately reflect current navigation.

2. No breacrumbs, or minimal breadcrumbs.
Most of the pages on the wiki can be accessed with just a couple clicks. An additional benefit is that the wiki software cannot put breadcrumbs above a table of contents which pushes them down to a somewhat odd place in the page.

3. Start from the KMeleonWiki.
This is the most consistant because the hundred or so macro library pages are written this way. However it starts every trail linking to a page that does not normally come up while navigating the site.

Feel free to provide any feedback on this below.

Re: Breadcrumbs ideas, wiki organization
Date: November 06, 2022 01:48AM

RJJIII
1. K-Meleon > Sidebar Link > Page
What I think would be the best option is to start every trail from either K-Meleon or "K-Meleon Wiki"

If going this way... why not "Home" instead/then? Would match the sidebar and wouldn't be redundant. I mean, you are already on K-meleon website, no need to repeat, so, if the hierarchy would start on the sidebar... the upper level is the home, the home of K-meleon because you are on the K-meleon site.

RJJIII
so that the updated breadcrumbs remain visually similar to the old macro library breadcrumbs

... example?

RJJIII
2. No breacrumbs, or minimal breadcrumbs.

Talking by myself as an opinion. If I already get lost when following Docs links (note that I don't use very regularly either way with local docs by JamesD)... I couldn't imagine without a little hint confused smiley

RJJIII
3. Start from the KMeleonWiki.
This is the most consistant because the hundred or so macro library pages are written this way. However it starts every trail linking to a page that does not normally come up while navigating the site.

... example?

I think I replied about this above, with the first option, unless you are trying to explain a different thing and I didn't understood.

Date: November 06, 2022 04:40AM

Here are examples of how the breadcrumbs were previously done:

Starting from KMeleonWiki, here is the macro library template and a page using the template:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/wiki/view;MacroTemplate?version=49
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/wiki/view;KmmTraining?version=6
This^ is the option number 3 I mentioned above.

Starting from KMeleonWiki and the Welcome pages, here is the macro library main page:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/wiki/MacroLibrary

And, yes, I could start from "Home" as it is in the sidebar. The reason I mention starting from K-Meleon or K-Meleon Wiki is to make the trails look similar to the older pages and translated pages. It's possible that I'm overthinking that though.

Date: November 06, 2022 09:52PM

RJJIII
Starting from KMeleonWiki, here is the macro library template and a page using the template:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/wiki/view;MacroTemplate?version=49

[...]

And, yes, I could start from "Home" as it is in the sidebar. The reason I mention starting from K-Meleon or K-Meleon Wiki is to make the trails look similar to the older pages and translated pages. It's possible that I'm overthinking that though.

No, no, no, I see the dilemma now.

It has been advised to use KMeleonWiki as the home page.

Also, some back track to "KMeleonWiki > mainsection/sidebar > whatever" and others as "KMeleonWiki > Welcome > mainsection/sidebar > whetever".

The best approach then would be to set any missing main section on the sidebar (as Translations, for example) and use the first option and "forget" about the Welcome page, that, somehow, it serves more as a site map.

Also, as you slimmed down the Home page compared as it was before and now is not a copy of KmeleonWiki page, maybe it has no sense then to set the first page as Home either, as I previously said.

You are not overthinking. You made me overthink too winking smiley

I thought that could be done a real sitemap to know what page belongs to what section/page, instead the Welcome page as it is now. But now is just an idea over my head and I don't find good approaches to do it right, anyway.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2022 09:54PM by JohnHell.

Date: November 07, 2022 02:09AM

JohnHell
I thought that could be done a real sitemap to know what page belongs to what section/page, instead the Welcome page as it is now. But now is just an idea over my head and I don't find good approaches to do it right, anyway.

After fiddle here and there, it doesn't worth the effort. The wiki doesn't track correctly each page links nor the backlinks, so it is impossible to create a feasible sitemap of the wiki with an automation script/tool. At least myself.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2022 02:09AM by JohnHell.

Date: November 10, 2022 04:39AM

Thanks for looking into an automated sitemap. It could be a good purpose for the Welcome page, and at some point I may go through and manually do a sitemap. If I take a shot at that, I'll post a draft first. I see in the page's history that somebody started doing exactly that but looks like they never finished and just reverted everything.

The issue I see with adding all of the KMeleonWiki/Welcome page links to the sidebar, is that sidebar links generally should be the stuff that people are most likely to look for. The current links there (FAQ, Download, etc) seem very appropriate. I could add the translations page, but other pages are either outdated or less likely to be significant. Features also might make sense there? ButSkinsAndThrobbers for example is fine and may have some value, but I imagine a new user would be confused stumbling onto the page and trying to use the old skins would just give new users a bad impression of KM.

Currently these are the KMeleonWiki/Welcome page links and the most visible/clear/direct route to arrive at them:
Home: sidebar link
Features: Home > features
Screenshots: sidebar link
News: Home > News
Download: sidebar link
Documentation: sidebar link
FAQ: sidebar link
Tutorials: Documentation > Tutorials
Tips & Tricks: Documentation > Tips and Tricks
Resources: Sidebar link
External Applications: Resources > External Applications
External Resources: Resources > External Resources
Macros: Resources > MacroLibrary
Search Engines: Resources > Search Engines
Themes: Resources > KMeleonThemesWiki
Skins & Throbbers: Resources > SkinsAndThrobbers
Icons, Buttons, & Banners: Resources > IconsButtonsBanners
History of K-Meleon: FAQ > HistoryOfKMeleon
Translations: Documentation > Translations
Get Involved: sidebar link

I could add back the KMeleonWiki paragraph to the main page with the embedded links, but most users would still click the sidebar links.

Thanks again for the feedback. I'll take some time to think on it and let anyone else provide input.

Date: November 10, 2022 04:26PM

I feel that you are right here too smiling smiley

Maybe too many links on the side would be unnecessary and overwhelming.

And include back the content to the home page, wouldn't be better either.

Maybe leave as it is now is just enough. Quick and simple.

My concern, or my dilemma, is that the Welcome page, that after all has all the main sections, is kind of hidden to the eyes of visitors/users.

As a middle approach, maybe a link on Home that invites to visit the site content directing them to the Welcome page. And/or move/copy the Welcome message of KmeleonWiki to the Welcome page, as it is more friendly than the current content.

I don't know, they are just ideas here.

I'd love if there were more feedback here, anyway sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2022 04:27PM by JohnHell.

Date: February 05, 2023 11:36PM

I've expanded the Welcome page into a site map with a brief preface explaining that it served a similar but different function before:

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/wiki/Welcome

And I've added a small bar to the bottom of the main page with:
  • The Welcome page site map,
  • The wiki's translation feature, &
  • The wiki's built-in but mostly hidden search feature.

I plan to use this site map as a guide to update the breadcrumbs in the future.

Date: February 05, 2023 11:52PM

Thumbs up smiling smiley

Posted by: WasiFH
Date: March 22, 2023 02:35AM

RJIII you are doing a great job. My bad I didn't read these posts and topics and what make me more frustrating is that the reason i couldn't read the shortage of free time. I havent read all the new wiki pages RJIII, but I think adding screenshots would be a nice idea and its more helpful for new users or surfers. As I said I have made a plan and a strategy but I guess just supporting and helping RJIII would be better than a fresh writing as he knew much about wiki and related things. so lets see how it goes, I am willing that's sure. I am waiting for some promised relaxed days in the coming month when I could enjoying some holidays /day off.
In the meantime I will try to read your pages RJIII and of course hohn Hell's.
Thank you.

Date: March 23, 2023 07:51AM

Thanks for the kind words. I have not added many new pages into the wiki. I tried to focus on updating the old content. For example here is the old screenshot page:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/wiki/view;Screenshots?version=57

And now after updates:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/wiki/view;Screenshots?version=71

And as I said in the other thread: I wouldn't fret about trying to read all of those reference pages. If you want to add content to the wiki you can start with plain text. And also, while I am happy to help you update/expand the site, I think your goal is to promote or get the word out. It may be an even better idea to reach out to people online that cover niche tech topics.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.