General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
KM75.1 - online vs offline display
Posted by: Holo
Date: June 14, 2022 07:07PM

Hi,

I'm using KM75.1 with Windows XP SP2 and have been having trouble getting full functionality of some web sites on it versus Firefox 52 on the same PC. As a test I saved the page I was having problems with, while on FF, and opened it with KM. The offline version displayed closer to the FF display than the online version and I was wondering why that would be the case? I was hoping the offline version would have more function, but it did not.

From the reading I've done in this forum, I am somewhat familiar with display issues in KM regarding newer web sites not rendering in it. So, I was wondering is it possible to look at the source HTML of a web site to try and determine what version of the GECKO engine it requires?

I changed the user agent to be the same as my FF 52, but it made no difference. Any insights would be most welcome.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: KM75.1 - online vs offline display
Posted by: JohnHell
Date: June 14, 2022 11:51PM

Holo
From the reading I've done in this forum, I am somewhat familiar with display issues in KM regarding newer web sites not rendering in it. So, I was wondering is it possible to look at the source HTML of a web site to try and determine what version of the GECKO engine it requires?

No.

If a site, beyond some CSS "glitches" (lack of newer CSS properties), that, more or less, will render, but not as the webmaster intended, doesn't render is because most sites, nowadays, are built from JavaScript.

That is the only hint to say this or that version. And, to check it, you can, or view the error console, or inspect their (usually) minified scripts, which is almost an impossible mission.

Then you could go to caniuse.com and check if that function, statement, whatever, was available to X version of Firefox (from 3.5 almost 1:1 to Gecko version).

Have in mind that K-meleon 75.1 uses Gecko 31.8 (if my memory doesn't trick me, and it doesn't (release notes for 75.1 beta that are the same for K-meleon 75.1 final)) and Firefox 52, as its names suggest uses, Gecko 52.

To have grainy details on the differences we should have to check the release notes for Firefox, but be sure that Firefox 52 uses way newer ECMAScript (also known as JavaScript). And newer CSS properties support too (but, as told, that only means that won't look "fine").

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2022 11:53PM by JohnHell.

Date: June 15, 2022 03:41PM

to JohnHell:

Thanks for sharing your knowledge on the subject.

I would like to see if KM76.x would work on the pages I am having trouble viewing, but I would need to update to SP3. Before I do that I would like to know if the KM76.x versions can handle ECMAScript and newer CSS.

Date: June 15, 2022 06:41PM

If there isn't any privacy issue in disclose the problematic URL, here, or at the K-meleon Goanna thread, or subforum, users could tell you, as a screenshot, how it looks on latest K-meleon.

K-meleon on Goanna uses PaleMoon 27 engine that, I may be wrong, but it resembles the Gecko 52 engine, or around that version. Anyway, this could be better told in said thread and by roytam or other users.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2022 06:44PM by JohnHell.

Date: June 15, 2022 08:13PM

Thanks, I tried to post the link to the site, but I got this message:

A forbidden word has been used. Avoid dubious links and bad behavior. Such activities are reported to your service providers. If after fix it you still have problems, report to administrators in Support thread. Error code: 0x1E210106

It was not a dubious link, so I don't know what the problem is. It was a link to the Find A Grave site which is a trusted genealogy site used by millions. You could just Google it and look at it, if you are so inclined.

Date: June 15, 2022 08:30PM

That error comes against spam attacks to the forum with very short messages with a link at the end.

Sorry the error. I'm guilty of it

I guess is this one: Find a grave.

I can't test right now (maybe later or tomorrow), as you I'm on XP SP2, so let's see if someone comes to help.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2022 08:31PM by JohnHell.

Date: June 17, 2022 12:04AM

The page looks similar on a couple of weeks Goanna build, but it doesn't work.

Menus aren't unfolded and others glitches.

Fifty-fifty CSS and JavaScript issues.

The change was made in the site (reviewing it on Archive.org snapshots) was clearly a very big leap forward towards latest browsers and fancy looks :/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2022 12:04AM by JohnHell.

Date: June 17, 2022 02:47PM

Thank you for looking at it for me. FF 52 still works for most pages at the site for the time being, but that will probably end in the future.

I really like the K-Meleon browser, so I will watch for new KM76 builds to see if they are able to handle the site. And, I am also going to be looking into Linux because I don't feel like giving Microsoft any more of my money.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.