General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Kmeleon 1.0Beta7
Posted by: lbmixpro
Date: April 24, 2006 09:16AM

A major improvement over the last betas. I haven't experienced a crash and the new icons on the find bar look great. I've noticed that the default page icons when displayed on the layer and url bars have been reduced to 16 colors.

Also, the default Phoenity skin for version 0.9 is outdated. Is there a way to replace it with the Phoenity 1.5.1 set I uploaded to the skins page?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ndebord
Date: April 24, 2006 02:17PM

1bmixpro,

Where did you upload the 15.1 skin to? This is what I found on the WiKi.

http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/resources/toolbar/Phoenity_07.zip

Tks,

N

Posted by: Enaitz Jar
Date: April 24, 2006 09:41PM

Could it be possible than when you finish a download, instead of saying "download completed in 152 seconds" message will say "download completed in 2 minutes and 32 seconds"?

Date: April 24, 2006 09:49PM

With 1.0 b7 I'm having problems to acces http://www.macromedia.com but with Fred's 0'9'13 RC there are no problems there.

Can somebody check this?

Date: April 25, 2006 01:13AM

Enaitz,

just went to http://www.macromedia.com with KMSM 1.0.7b with no problems. Ran it Java disabled and then enabled and with javascript enabled both times. Popups were off.

N

Posted by: kingsparrow
Date: April 25, 2006 01:51AM

I don't see no problem with sm1.0.7b. With jscript enabled, I see the F for flashP, with it dis-abled, I see the ad................So adobe got macromdia..............

Posted by: 1Jerry
Date: April 25, 2006 05:33AM

After using this version extensively for the last 8 days, I have yet to find any serious problems. It took me a little while to update some of the preferences and menus to add features I like (which is one of the great things about KM). (Like putting menu items for calling mzcv.exe to view cookies, macro for disabling style sheets, and adding strategic &'s in menus so that I can access them faster). Then I had to re-set some of my preferred settings, like "Enumerate Layer" for example, so I can each layer has a number and I can switch to any with Alt-G-#. And some of the preferences have changed, but my semi-detailed summary follows.

I. Recent quirks that now work:
1) Favorites
2) auto completion (ctrl-<enter> on address)
3) groups
4) Javascript from bookmarks
5) <backspace> works as expected
6) Gmail & Netflix works

II. Improvements
1) fast!
2) recalling saved passwords seem almost instant now
3) no more annoying clipboard cut&paste on every layer
4) intelligent word selection and movement in address bar!
5) fabulous new "advanced preferences" XUL screen
6) single key shortcuts now work in Gmail. Whoohoo!
7) Mimetypes editor (in the last several candidates)
8) URL history (in last several candidates)
9) smaller prefs.js
10) works with kprofile.dll for "un-salted" profiles

III. minor, inconsequential things
1) Some site icons work (macromedia.com, ironically), and most do not (gmail, yahoo)
2) left and right arrow no longer work on the menu (one cannot get to the Edit menu from the File menu with a right arrow anymore).
3) Sometime the View>Toolbars shows no check marks, and sometimes is shows the correct check marks. Haven't a good idea when yet.
4) in about:config, it now [correctly] starts the cursor in the filter prompt, yet if you <tab> away, you cannot <tab> back.
5) the wallet feature's "do you wish to remember this..." box is on by default, but a) it doesn't seem to work if you even wanted to use it, and b) I see no way of viewing or editing your wallet. (I just put the following line in user.js to stop the prompts:
user_pref("wallet.captureForms", false);
)
6) I tried entering a Master Password, yet it never asks for it. I might be doing something wrong, but don't know what it could be.
7) Some past versions (0.9.12) have had some nice XUL screens for viewing wallet and password data. These are not included in the SM1.0 series, and I cannot figure out how to move them from previous JAR files

Of course I didn't try everything

HTH

Thank you Dorian! Great job!

--1Jerry

Date: April 25, 2006 05:57AM

1Jerry,

I too use a macro for mzcv and also sorely miss the password data macro. That I would like to see back in. Will have to read thoroughly your post to see what you've tweaked in KM, but it sure looks nice. And yes, KM 1.0.b7 is a very sweet browser that I too have made my own with macros.

Thanks Dorian!

N

Posted by: vpowell
Date: April 25, 2006 03:05PM

@Jeff
I am sorry that it took so long to answer you (I haven't visited this forum for a few days)
1) Go to "skins" folder and find current skin (maybe C:\K-MeleonSM\skins\Phoenity\)
2) Rename "default.ico" (maybe call it "old-default.ico")
3) Find any replacement icon file (with the extension ".ico") that you like, copy it into the folder, and name it "default.ico"
4) Make sure K-Meleon is not running (maybe bring up the Task-manager and look for the process "k-meleon.exe")
5) Go to your profile-folder (maybe C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\Application Data\K-Meleon\default\gibbrish.slt\)
6) Delete "IconCache.dat"
7) Restart K-Meleon

Date: April 25, 2006 03:19PM

The included MIME types editor could use a few small tweaks also:

ESC does not end windows
ALT-keys don't work right
had to add application/* for exe files. I think exe files should not ask Open or Save.
still asks (Open or Save dialog) for m3u files even though none of the types with m3u in them have "always ask..." checked.

--1Jerry

Posted by: kko
Date: April 25, 2006 06:36PM

AFAIK m3u files are of type "audio/x-mpegurl".

Posted by: Andrew
Date: April 25, 2006 10:20PM

Dorian - what's your timeline to release? I'm still on one of the earlier betas but I'll download this latest version and give it a test drive.

Posted by: Dorian
Date: April 26, 2006 01:24PM

@lbmixpro
Also, the default Phoenity skin for version 0.9 is outdated. Is there a way to replace it with the Phoenity 1.5.1 set I uploaded to the skins page?

Yes, if you can send me an update of the large version as well.

@1Jerry
1) By default, no link tag, no icon, may have to change it.
2) never worked afaik
4) old mozilla bug
5) never worked, in fact, I've never got the prompt, so I'm not sure what to do about that.
6) Tried with seamonkey, and it doesn't seem to ask either
7) only guenter would know

@Andrew
Since I will not be here beginning of May, I would like to drop a new build before, especially to update to 1.8.0.2 because of the security issues. But unfortunately, 1.8.0.2 give me all sort of troubles sad smiley

So, end of May I suppose.

Date: April 26, 2006 03:59PM

@kko
>AFAIK m3u files are of type "audio/x-mpegurl".

Thanks. Although I have to say it might have take me a while to guess that! <roll-eyes-icon> There is no way of figureing this out? or does one have to memorize this?

@Dorian, re: arrow keys at menu.
Yes, with the [default] 'rebar menu plugin' activated, nothing has changed.
In previous version though I got the functionality I wanted by turning the rebar menu OFF, which allowed the menu to operate like most other Windows programs. (alt-F brings up File menu, right-arrow moves to Edit menu.) I had forgotten that in the SM1.0 series I cannot access the menu items with the ALT keys if I turned rebar menus off. That is what is different from other version.

re:the above MIME type. It was not working in this version because there was a space in the name, as there was in several of the MIME types (which are all listed at the top of the MIMEeditor. Once I removed the leading space, it worked and did not ask me the "open or save" question.

Wish list or "am I missing something?" department: Some document types (mp3, playlists) I never want the progress dialog to remain on the screen, and some document types (ZIP, gz) I want the option of opening the file from the progress dialog. Yet the property "kmeleon.download.closeDownloadDialog" is either true or false for all types. It would be nice if it were a string, and I was able to indicate something like "audio/*, video/*". Or is there a way to do this in any version of KM?

--1Jerry

Posted by: vpowell
Date: April 26, 2006 06:33PM
Posted by: Andrew
Date: April 26, 2006 10:03PM

@Dorian,

OK. Sounds good. The latest build is very nice. I had some bugginess in the earlier beta I was using so I'll be checking to see if those are worked out in this version.

Date: April 27, 2006 04:06AM

Dorian,

Sorry to hear that 1.8.02 gave you grief. If you would care to post an alpha version using that gecko engine, perhaps we here could help you in debugging it?

N

Posted by: Kerodo
Date: April 28, 2006 12:40AM

This is the first beta I've tried and I have to say this is really great. It is very much noticeably faster than the .9 series. Great work...

Date: April 28, 2006 04:24PM

Dorian,

I've noticed, both in KM 1.0xx and 0.9xx recently that some javascript pages seem to hang and you have to reload them before they load up properly. I was reading this post on usenet that may be of some relevance to this particular issue:

<<After a month or two of not upgrading to latest build I did so yesterday,
>
> immedeately I noticed javascript problems.
>
> Ive been going back about 2 weeks worth of builds now, but im still
> having problems.. seems its been there a while..
>
> more specifically Im using the 'fronter' system : http://www.fronter.com
>
> in that system theres a forum-system, that doesnt work in more recent
> builds of seamonkey :/
>
> kind regards

Well the march -1 edition is good, the april-1 is not. so somewhere
inbetween a bug has been introduced>>

Posted by: Subgenius
Date: May 01, 2006 12:20AM

I've been running this on an older PC that has been collecting dust until recently (AMD K6 200 with 64MB RAM, Windows 98 (98lite)). I've only ran into one bug so far and as far as I can tell it hasn't been brought up yet (did a search but didn't seem to find much). The issue is with Find, If I try to close a tab without closing Find first the browser will crash. I haven't tested it on my main PC yet (P4 2.4 with 1.5GB RAM, Windows XP), has anyone else ran into this? It could be because of 98lite (sleek; Windows 95 explorer, etc.)...

Date: May 01, 2006 01:37AM

Ok, I just tested this on my main PC and closing a tab with find open seems to work fine no matter what I do (leave it blank, populate the field, do multiple searches, etc..). I Ghost my 98 drive every other day or so, so I could test it on a fresh 98 install. Though, I'm guessing it has something to do with 98lite. Is there any chance someone with Windows 98 SE (without any major hacks/mods) could test this? Just have at least two tabs going and open Find in one of them, then close the tab.

Posted by: Jeff
Date: May 01, 2006 01:52PM

Subgenius: I confirm it crashes on Win 98 SE with unofficial service pack 2.

Date: May 01, 2006 03:40PM

Dorian,

Ctrl F and close tab also crashed K-meleon 1.0beta7 on my laptop. I'm running W98se, with the unofficial 2.1a update to it. One additional note, since there is no crash.dll included in the package, I did not have a crash report, so I copied over the 11k version. After running it during the test, this is what it said:

======

K-Meleon Crash Information

Application exception occurred:
Date: 2006-05-01 @ 11:35 -5, Eastern Daylight Time
Exception: C0000005 (ACCESS VIOLATION, Writing Address: C00000FC)
Process: C:\PROGRAM FILES\KMSM\K-MELEON.EXE
Exception Addr: 00E43103

*----> System Information <----*
Number of processors: 1
Processor Type: x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 3
Windows 98 Version: 4.10 A
Current Build: 2222

*----> Stack Back Trace <----*
ReturnAddr Param#1 Param#2 Param#3 Param#4 Param#5
00E43103
01E40000 C:\PROGRAM FILES\KMSM\KPLUGINS\HISTORY.DLL
+00008B7A 3CAA0003 16BF0003 2737000E 00000187 27376927

======

N

Posted by: Kerodo
Date: May 01, 2006 04:40PM

Ran into a strange issue here last night. I am running it with layers turned off, just window mode only. I had maybe 7 or 8 windows open at once and was browsing various sites. Ram usage for KM shot up to about 308mb and cpu usage was 90+%. I don't know what triggered the problem, but as soon as I closed all but the original window then all was ok again, ram was released and cpu settled down to 0% (normal). Just thought I'd mention it. I'll see if I can reproduce it again somehow.

Date: May 01, 2006 04:54PM

It's strange, but a simmilar thing happened to me today.

I was using a 0'9 version (13 GRE patched) with about half a dozen of layers (not windows) opened, I did minimize it to check how was eMule going and suddenly noticed and impressive lack of resources and slowdown. The memory usage was as usual but the CPU K-Meleon used was more than 40 %.

In my case this was due to the fact that a pair of the layers opened from www.elmundo.es (a spanish online newspaper) contained a pair of complex publicity banners. Once closed those layers normality returned.

Posted by: bst82551
Date: May 01, 2006 07:32PM

Yes, flash animations can really drag down a computer. I have this problem all of the time.
Perhaps Flashblock or AdBlock would be a good thing for you to use.

Brian

Date: May 01, 2006 10:51PM

Jeff: Thank you for confirming, I was starting to think it had to do with my setup and/or hardware.

I just tried it on my PC with Windows 98 SE that has not been modified by the unofficial 2.1a Service Pack or 98lite. The only updates on it are those that Microsoft make available through Windows Update (pretty much the same as the SP but..). Same thing as with my other images (ghost is a life saver at times), it crashes when you try to close a layer with Find open (error message points towards webbrwsr.dll). Sorry I don't have the full error message but if requested I could get it.

Posted by: Jack Thorpe
Date: May 01, 2006 10:51PM

JavaScript can be slow or in the case of this site:

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/

I always get an Unresponsive Script warning message box.
Clicking "Stop script" helps speed up the page load. As does blocking JavaScript.

Some sites (Newspaper sites) are loading advertisements (gifs jpgs etc.) So Blocking JavaScript is okay. But some sites use it for navigation, etc. so you need JavaScript on sad smiley

It might be nice to have a function key defined for Blocking JavaScript smiling smiley
I usually surf many different newspapers at the sametime so having images and JavaScript blocked speeds this activity up a lot. Then when I surf other sites I turn them both back on. Alt - P and scrolling down to Block JavaScript gets to be a pain. I use F9 - Block Images a lot so maybe F10 to Block JavaScript? Then pressing F9 and then F10 would be a joy!

--------

Also noticed that when highlighting text on webpages (to copy) it is hard to grab the first couple of characters.They get skipped when I select the rest of the text. Never had this problem before in other versions. I use a touchpad.

-- Jack

Date: May 02, 2006 04:28AM

I just tested beta 6 and this is not an issue. Checking through the changelog I noticed the following:

* Add: Unicode support in findbar

I wonder if this could be the problem since Windows 98 does not support Unicode (or rather, has limited support depending on how it is programmed)?

Date: May 02, 2006 07:39AM

Jack,

<<It might be nice to have a function key defined for Blocking JavaScript smiling smiley
I usually surf many different newspapers at the sametime so having images and JavaScript blocked speeds this activity up a lot. >>

If you use the privacy bar, you can toggle javascript on and off. Don't know offhand, but perhaps there might be a way to do it also with a hotkey.

N

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.