General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
A Radical Idea ~ TBE for K-Meleon?
Posted by: Carson
Date: November 09, 2006 05:38AM

Well, this is crazy, but here you are, anyway.

This evening I sent a note to Shimoda "Piro" Hiroshi, who is the creator of Firefox's most infamous of all extensions, TBE or Tabbrowser Extensions.

When the young Firebird was beginning to tell the world that tabbed browsing was the way to do things, Piro came along and created his huge, complicated masterpiece. It did not quite fit Firebird, and it was enormously complex. But it could do anything thinkable with tabbed browsing. If you wanted to use tabs, here was the ultimate vehicle that could take you anywhere.

So did Firebird meet Piro halfway, and work with him to resolve things? No way. I never knew why not, but I made a guess that the Firebird officialdom was looking ahead to very big profits, and here was an outsider who had come up with this very considerable contribution. I think they were nervous. Who's to say? But Firebird seemed quite unfriendly.

Anyway, if you go to Piro's website today, which he calls Outsider Reflex, you can read his justly defensive explanations for his Tabbrowser Extensions. He pretty much recommends you don't use it.

But I still use it with Firefox, or I don't use Firefox. I don't like any of the extensions that have tried to replace it. As TBE is not yet compatible with FF 2, I'm not using FF 2 these days. (You can bump TBE, but that's not good enough, because it is so complex.)

My crazy move tonight was to ask Piro if he might be interested in looking at K-Meleon. Oh, I know his TBE couldn't work as an extension, but could it work in a different way? And I know it is a very heavy extension, but in K-Meleon, it would need to work only with Windows OSs—maybe that would make it possible to be much lighter?

WHY Tabbrowser Extensions for K-Meleon? Because TBE can do anything with tabs. K-Meleon is a much more technically appealing browser than is Firefox. FF folk may not have appreciated Piro's brilliant work. I think people who work with K-Meleon might be very receptive to its possibilities.

I have no idea whether Piro will have either the time or the inclination to consider my crazy idea. For anyone here who is interested, his Outsider Reflex site is at http://piro.sakura.ne.jp/

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: A Radical Idea ~ TBE for K-Meleon?
Date: November 09, 2006 05:50AM

—Um, maybe this is better for those of us who are a bit Japanese-challenged.
http://piro.sakura.ne.jp/xul/xul.html.en

Date: November 09, 2006 06:09AM

Here's a second P.S. — I suggested my "crazy idea" because I am always interested in the possibilities of connections. Of course Hao and Dorian have already done superb things with tabs in K-Meleon. So you might say, "But K-M doesn't need tabs."

I'm not really looking at tabs per se. I was just wondering about this thing regarding FF's indifference toward TBE—which has never seemed right to me—when it occurred to me that the person who created TBE might have some interesting ideas for K-M. Just a thought. A crazy thought, maybe. But there it is, for whatever it is worth, if it is worth anything at all.

Posted by: guenter
Date: November 09, 2006 06:28AM

AFAIK we can not have XUL tabs we need c+tabs. But maybe it can work?

Some extensions like console2 work - 1.1a improves XUL support, k-m = getting ->->->
console2 is very interesting because zeniko´s extension suppresses faults deriving
from running a FFox extension under SMonkey. If someone could implement that is
indeoendent & general feature many FFox extensions might work.

btw. I will never understand why the FFoxies did not include zenikos´s powerfull console2 instead of their "pfusch" of console for FFox2 (pfusch = bad work ).

Posted by: foobarly
Date: November 09, 2006 11:49AM

Carson back on the K-Meleon wagon?

A day for celebration, should it be true...

Date: November 09, 2006 01:59PM

Thanks, foobarly. Um, especially considering that I thought this idea of mine here was maybe somewhat spinny. . . .

Posted by: guenter
Date: November 09, 2006 05:34PM

no was't - but would have consumed time - we did not have.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.