General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: That's it, I'm going back to Firefox
Posted by: Grendel
Date: November 24, 2006 02:20PM

guenter, that sounds like an interesting idea. It might also help if we could get some information added in the Wiki about manually backing up profiles -- maybe a quick and simple walkthrough. (is anything like this already in the Wiki? Sorry... I haven't noticed)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: guenter
Date: November 24, 2006 05:29PM

hi Gerndel, i quite agree.
Now we see light at the end of the tunnel.

Grendel
Wiki...I haven't noticed.
Wiki seems so big - i assume nobody knows what is inside it (i google 4 k-m-info).

In the past it was too hard to pass on things we had that was the problem.

Backup: In the past: I just copied the complete k-meleon including profiles to a safe location and scavenged it when i found something that was missing after a change of versions (normally passwords, cookies & user.js). Else without new version i just copied the whole k-m back because i keep profiles inside install location.

Apart from that- if You keep Profile inside install folder (like me) You can
choose new instalation folder-name and go without problem. I still have 0.6.5 and 07.1 in a usable condition. With new system of Profile location it is advisable to change Profile name to other than default - because otherwise differnt versions of k-m try to use the same default and break it.

I altered the FFox extension so that it saves all the info files that we could possibly use or scavenge from an used profile. If not we can easily extend it :-)
With older k-m profiles (untill 1.02) menus.cfg and macros,cfg were also of value for ppl that had altered them with considerable expense of time. With kmm it will be easy to replace macros without editing. The devs said something like that also.
Editing the macros.cfg has become much too hard for ppl like me. So i understand Your frustration but not the going away.

The other problem the devs had to break old traditions to get into reach of what
looks easy to apply k-meleon extensions.

Not all ppl want to read half the Wiki to be able to configure the browser.
Now we still need an easy to program installer so that we can pass on the things that we have ( e. g. the extension that Fred or Hao used with a 0.9 and that You did not get to work ). mit gruss

Zeppelin
Everybody knows that K-Meleon is not good for privacy issues. Statistics about K-Meleon use demonstrate this browser's easily detected among Internet Explorer and Firefox/Netscape/Mozilla users. The worst act for losing privacy's browsing with non conventional browsers.

I can not quite understand what You mean - do You use k-meleon under linux osten enough to draw on You own experiance? And can You please guide me to the source URL of Your statistics that everybody knows. Iam quite ignorant about what other ppl know I only know that i could since long reach all FFox privacy features via about:config or user.js and since 0.9 via menus created by a macro & chrome combination. From being a spam admin that sometimes has to digg in old parts of the forum i know that spoofing was possible and in common use with k-meleon users since before i read a post or thread in this forum in 2002 or posted after 0.8.2 came out in 2003.

Zeppelin
I were in China last summer and their preferences for browsing always include IE and Maxthon for blogging mainly. In five days of tour I see no Mozilla based browsers.
AFAIK Maxton IE Shell is made by a CNese. No wonder it is common in CN.
IMHO the number of k-meleon ccf users (many of them CNese because that is also the Simpliefied Chinese version of k-meleon) transcends that of official k-meleon. AFAIK among the users of CCF version is at least one blogger called Hao / maybe we should ask him which browser he uses to blogg :-)

high blackid: Users complaining with frustration = not spaming.
Newbees doing the same in their first post is or can be.
I assure You: Grendel is a user & has even given answer to other.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2006 05:31PM by guenter.

Posted by: vpowell
Date: November 24, 2006 06:03PM

@Grendel
Peabody's suggestion that you re-locate some of your files to a new directory is a good one.
For bookmarks, as an example:
1) Copy your bookmarks.html file to a new directory on your computer (name it whatever you want).
2) Go to Edit -> Preferences -> Plugins -> Netscape Bookmark Plugin -> Configure -> Bookmarks File: -> [...]
3) Navigate to the new directory you copied the bookmarks.html into
4) Click OK to close each of the dialog boxes
5) Close K-Meleon
6) Re-open K-Meleon
You should then be using the copy of bookmarks.html in the new directory.
You should be able to easily use the same bookmarks.html in another version of K-Meleon by repeating steps 2-6, and you should be able to easily backup your bookmarks by simply copying the new directory that they are in.
(you could also probably use the same bookmarks.html that you are using in Firefox... ...but that is something for you to experiment with)

Date: November 24, 2006 06:18PM

vpowell, I'll give that a try.

Posted by: shakushinnen
Date: November 24, 2006 07:40PM

Hi All,
I must be missing something. I switched from Firefox about a month ago, and have never regretted it. Although I have tried several tweaks to get more out of K-Meleon, it seems like the native configuration is the best, at least for me. Admittidly my needs are modest, some surfing, and a few forums, but I find this browser blisteringly fast, and very user friendly. I use windows 98 on dialup, so maybe my expectations are low.
John

Posted by: Anonymous User
Date: November 24, 2006 09:07PM

I use several computers (now an AMD Sempron 3000 with 1GB RAM) over a 6GB ADSL.
I have great expectations and I want the best browser available.

I've found it and it's name is K-Meleon ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2006 09:07PM by enaitzjga.

Posted by: blimp
Date: November 25, 2006 01:32AM

zeppelin
The worst act for losing privacy's browsing with non conventional browsers.

Some websites have anti-spoofing ability. Doesn't matter what you think the user agent says, the website knows better. Using a proxy, anonymiser and non-conventional browser, you might as well hang a bulls-eye on your computer.

Posted by: zeppelin
Date: November 26, 2006 04:57PM

guenter
I can not quite understand what You mean - do You use k-meleon under linux osten enough to draw on You own experiance? And can You please guide me to the source URL of Your statistics that everybody knows.

Guenter, please...
http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

guenter
AFAIK Maxton IE Shell is made by a CNese. No wonder it is common in CN.
I was talking about privacy. If you get a green taxi in NY you will be easily found. There is none green. ;-D
http://www.citidex.com/899.htm

blimp
Some websites have anti-spoofing ability. Doesn't matter what you think the user agent says, the website knows better. Using a proxy, anonymiser and non-conventional browser, you might as well hang a bulls-eye on your computer.

OK. That's right. You are good. If 50.000.000 people are using IE6 at this moment and only 250.000 people are using K-Meleon, Konqueror, Galeon and Lynk... Who are more easily to be found and who are more easily to be controlled by anybody?

Posted by: Fred
Date: November 26, 2006 05:28PM

It is not a matter of being controlled, to use K-Meleon as
a browser. We do not use it for things, that we are not supposed to do.
In such a case you would probably draw more attention on yourself.
But the fact, that it is not a widespread browser makes it
uninteresting for hackers and malware. They would have to exploit
known security holes. Those are much easier to find in Internet
Explorer, and even in Firefox, that has a much bigger xul part than
K-Meleon. Should you use K-Meleon on Linux, it would increase
the security level another time, and on a live CD based system
even more. Remember the various occasions, when Internet Explorer
was threatened by vulnerabilities for weeks, or months, before
this was even recognized. Non-conventional browsers may be more
conspicuous, but also less vulnerable than conventional ones.
Privacy here does not mean complete anonymity, but increased safety.

Fred

Date: November 26, 2006 05:29PM

I fully agree with what Fred says.

I think is safer to use a rare unorthodox browser than the one used by everybody.

I just think that if I was to develop a web virus, spyware or whatever, I will try to aim and make it compatible with the browser used by the 70% of the people because this way I'll have more victims. People using rare browsers are often (not always) skilled people who cares about net security and are provided with anti-virus, etc soft. If someone spends time searching for the best browser they will more probably do the same with other software.

So it's more difficult to catch them with a malware trick.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2006 05:36PM by enaitzjga.

Date: November 26, 2006 07:37PM

fred
It is not a matter of being controlled, to use K-Meleon as
a browser. We do not use it for things, that we are not supposed to do.

OK. Have you said you use another browser for such things? ;-D

enait
I've found it and it's name is K-Meleon ;-)

Only if you use Windows. Camino and MacOS X are unbeatable.

enait
I just think that if I was to develop a web virus, spyware or whatever, I will try to aim and make it compatible with the browser used by the 70% of the people because this way I'll have more victims.

OK. We can wait until K-Meleon have a quote of 70% and then we shall talk again.

Date: November 26, 2006 08:56PM

Zeppelin:

Do you mean that if K-Meleon becomes popular one day (I mean really popular) you will leave us?

:-)

Date: November 26, 2006 09:31PM

enaitzjga
Zeppelin:

Do you mean that if K-Meleon becomes popular one day (I mean really popular) you will leave us?

:-)

:-? Very good. Sorry, but I do not know the answer.

Date: November 27, 2006 06:18AM

zeppelin
guenter
I can not quite understand what You mean - do You use k-meleon under linux often enough to draw on You own experiance? And can You please guide me to the source URL of Your statistics that everybody knows.

Guenter, please...
http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

Where please does the page quoted by You mention K-Meleon and thus proves Your
statement. You said:

guenter
Zeppelin
Everybody knows that K-Meleon is not good for privacy issues. Statistics about K-Meleon use demonstrate this browser's easily detected among Internet Explorer and Firefox/Netscape/Mozilla users.

When k-meleon is spoofing all that someone can possibly find out is that it is a browser that is probably using a Mozilla GRE btw. You find only what plugins model is supported (Swift, Opera etc. support that too ). So You can not detect K-Meleon among
Zeppelin
Firefox/Netscape/Mozilla users.

For accurate info about browser detection see: http://gemal.dk/browserspy/

The page quoted by You does not mention K-Meleon or provide statistics to support the statement:
Zeppelin
that K-Meleon is not good for privacy issues...

That k-meleon is the most secure Windows browser is a well known Fact and proved by the almost complete absence of Security advisories about K-Meleon at:

http://secunia.com/product/3684/

where Secunia list just one patched problem :-P

K-Meleon is not the single green Taxi in New York but a yellow one under many that use the same engine. The only difference is that k-meleon has lightwaight sleek C+ body. The FFoxes and the Seamonkeys that use the same engine have a somewhat heavier Xul body :-)

- But the GRE is a good engine that can even drive heavy taxis with ease ;-)

What You have claimed is an unsurportable topos from the distant past.
Soon after the reoccuring problems with Mozilla GRE turned up last year ppl from this forum and k-meleon devs have started to update k-meleon to new GRE starting 01. 04. 2005. I am absolutely sure about the date and the updates, i have used them. This is only not much known by outsiders. You are an outsider so i forgive - else i would have reported Your message to the spam-admins as troll-dom ;-)

Btw. You do not need a mac; You can use Swift that is a browser that uses the mac rendering engine under Windows XP.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2006 06:37AM by guenter.

Date: November 27, 2006 08:06AM

It is also to annotate, that BrowserSpy (gemal.dk) gives
back practically no information at all, if javascript is
turned off, the way I always almost everywhere go.
It also cannot see, that I am using K-Meleon on Linux with
Wine. The only correct definition is the IP address, and
this could also be hidden, if a proxy would be used.
It is also possible, to put a program like Proxomitron
between the browser and the Internet, to prevent going-out
information with the help of additional filters.
Internet Explorer would be a very bad alternative.

Fred

Posted by: Arrow
Date: November 27, 2006 08:37AM

I must admit that despite the friendly excellent help here, I have become a little disenchanted with K-Meleon of late.

There does come a point with a car when you just want to turn the key and drive without constant roadside stops to fix irritating little rattles and quirks or replace useful little bits that have dropped off along the way.

For most people that point would be when they first sit behind the wheel grinning smiley

Date: November 27, 2006 10:44AM

Arrow
or replace useful little bits that have dropped off along the way.

All users are free to join/help the devs so that no usefull little bits get lost.

& that is just the problem - too many ppl complain and do not try to help.
If i felt that the browser is not worth using -
i would not write a line in this forum.

Date: November 27, 2006 11:05AM

I can understand Grendels frustration but not the intentions of every poster in this thread.

Untill i understand them better;-) I recommend that ppl coming here with tor IP or constantly changing IP or fake mail addresses are bared in future when posting off topic or missguiding info that they can not prove.

Lets make a pole about that now.
Please gentlemen only ppl who are coming to forum more than a week.

;-) Thx.

With friendly greeting

Posted by: ndebord
Date: November 27, 2006 05:28PM

One of the advantages of using a script-based macro system instead of XUL is the ability to actually get your hands dirty inside the various macros that have been developed over time for K-Meleon. As people come and go, some of the macros get abandoned and new ones appear. If enough people want it, old maros get redone and so it goes. Not being a macro writer, I am one of those who ask for help when I find something old that I think should be reworked. If others agree, someone here will find a way to make a macro to fit the needs of the moment.

Much more open and transparent method than relying upon XUL developers, don't you think?

<g>

N

Posted by: RM
Date: November 27, 2006 05:43PM

Ya, why not; if someone really want to go to firefox or for that matter to opera or IE, why not just leave. Why continue here. All of us who are using K-Meleon is doing so thinking that it is a useful browser. Is it the best or not is just academical. As far as I am concerned I have been using KM for may be last 3 weeks. I was just looking for an alternate browser as I am in the habit of opening sometimes may be more than 10 pages, keep it all open till I close them all, or close some and open some else, open for may be more than a day continuously, use ajax applications and so on. If I continue with IE or its sister apps, The Windows OS would have frozen up even with 512MB RAM. Even firefox freezes many times. Those browsers take too much of RAM and hold it so that other applications cannot work. Also at the same time I open many more applications. I have found that KM, KNinja etc, can take this kind of abuse and stay awake and kicking. Now for me what else do i need. And since it is based on Mozilla engine, I dont think I have any security phobias.

Well why waste a good forum, with this kind of bickerings, rather than where everyone helps everybody else. i have a very good experience from this forum and have got a very good help from the forum mates. Why is this that someone want to corrupt this forum and frustrate all those who are doing a good job here incl., the developers.

I am surprised to see that this topic has got 68 or more postings. If KM is not good, why are these people here in the first place. There are many such browsers, and I dont find such people there.

Thanks

Posted by: Gyps
Date: November 27, 2006 08:11PM

It was at least not a complete waste of forum resources. I personally learned one or two off-topic things from this thread - I had just started using K-meleon today, and now I think I am in the right place.

cheers,
G

Date: November 27, 2006 08:33PM

@Grendel
I just tried Fred's K-Meleon-Linux-usable-1.8.1, and it has the same problem with profiles as some of my cobbled together K-Meleons.
It always checks at start-up for which profile you want to use, but seems to already see a profile in use.
The dialog that appears at startup looks like this:
Manage Profiles
[/] Ask At Startup
        [  OK   ]  [ Cancel  ]
You should remove the check mark at "Ask At Startup" and make it look like this:
Manage Profiles
[ ] Ask At Startup
        [  OK   ]  [ Cancel  ]
(It will still check at startup but the error-message will go away)

Date: November 27, 2006 09:30PM

But, on second thought, I think that Fred's K-Meleon-Linux-usable-1.8.1 may too minimal for general use. When I try to log into my companies email system I get "access denied" before I get to the login screen, which means there are some basic browser-parts missing.

Date: November 28, 2006 05:03AM

Vincent,
what You describe sounds like a regression not Your, Fred's or anyones fault & is probably fixed by now. At least for use with Windows.

Possibly You can try with: xpcom.dll, xpcom_compat.dll & xpcom_core.dll from
SeaMonkey with the same version nr. since it could be from trying to make
Profile in Anwendungsdaten ( Default Profile location ). Dll compiled with other
compiler version (like Seamonkey) do not always try that.

Security flaws?: This = a htp header read-out of a k-meleon that is spoofing at:

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/

GET /forum/ HTTP/1.1
Host: kmeleon.sourceforge.net
User-Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1)
Accept: text/xml,application/xml,application/xhtml+xml,text/html;q=0.9,text/plain;q=0.8,image/png,*/*;q=0.5
Accept-Language: en-us,en;q=0.5
Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate
Accept-Charset: ISO-8859-1,utf-8;q=0.7,*;q=0.7
Keep-Alive: 300
Connection: keep-alive

HTTP/1.x 200 OK
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 04:49:39 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.33 (Unix) PHP/4.3.10
X-Powered-By: PHP/4.3.10
Connection: close
Transfer-Encoding: chunked
Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8
----------------------------------------------------------

From LiveHTPheader FFox extension which is usable ever since k-meleon 0.8.2.
The readout definitely supports Fred's Linux observations for Windows XP.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2006 05:10AM by guenter.

Date: November 28, 2006 06:11AM

The chrome of this version is optimal for using in a Linux
distribution, where not all chromes work equally well.
If you use K-Meleon-Linux-usable-1.8.1 on a Windows system,
and encounter admission problems because of encrypting, you could
replace this chrome folder with the chrome of K-Meleon 0.9.12 , or
probably even with the chrome of the version 1.1a2 .
Please report, if your problems could be solved, in order that
I could possibly offer a variation optimized for Windows.

Fred

Posted by: ndebord
Date: November 28, 2006 03:50PM

Fred,

If you do put out a version optimized for Windows, would you consider naming it using 8.3 naming convention? Your current version insists upon a very long file name which is inconvenient for my uses.

Tks,

N

Posted by: creswellnet
Date: November 28, 2006 05:55PM

I wonder if part of Grendels problem was closing down K-Meleon, but leaving the quick start program open?

Posted by: lucasdel
Date: November 29, 2006 10:30AM

I'm sorry boys, but I feel ashamed reading this thread.
No browser is perfect and secure, and no OS is perfect and secure.

guenter
Untill i understand them better;-) I recommend that ppl coming here with tor IP or constantly changing IP or fake mail addresses are bared in future when posting off topic or missguiding info that they can not prove.

This is a missguiding info that you must prove it also.
I recommend you to not drink so cooffee smiling smiley

About internet statistics, you all are wrong.
Internet statistics are not sure at all. None.
To avoid a large explanation, please do read this piece of gold:

http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/nostats.html

"If collecting stats, should each page request count? Or just one per browser? Or just one per IP address? And then what about people who share a connection - common with Universities and corporations, or ISPs like AOL, where one user may have more than 20 IP addresses for consecutive or even simultaneous requests? Or just people who load the site start page? Then what about those who use bookmarks or a search engine to enter part way through the site? Or a person testing multiple browsers? Or should a person who loads just one page then realises it was not what they wanted and goes away count as much as a person who looks at 100 pages? How about a bot that crawls every page on my site? Or should a person that whips through 10 pages without reading them be counted as much as a person who only reads one page, but takes 20 minutes to read it carefully? And should cookies be used to avoid counting the same person twice (I refuse to use cookies)? And what about people that reject them? And what about people who use Google's cache instead of loading the real page? Should I use an image to track them? And then what if they have images disabled? Or since external CSS files are cached, should I check only when that is loaded? And what if they disable CSS? Look, it is ridiculous! Statistics are impossible. Even if it were possible to accurately identify the browser (which it is not), it is impossible to get statistics that accurately (or even remotely) represent usage."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

lucasdel
No browser is perfect and secure, and no OS is perfect and secure.

For the perfect browser it is sufficiant that its fault are not known.

lucasdel
guenter

This is a missguiding info that you must prove it also.

I proved by my quote of Secunias that no flaw exist :-D
- Flaws not reported are not existant 4 any practical purpose such as an exploit.

You are a newbee that comes here from an "anonymisierungsdienst" ( such as Tor ) and You are the same person as the troll called Zeppelin. If this
continues You will be banned!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2006 12:15PM by guenter.

Date: November 30, 2006 04:08PM

creswellnet
I wonder if part of Grendels problem was closing down K-Meleon, but leaving the quick start program open?

Are you referring to the loader? It's not distributed with CCF, so I don't use it. I don't really see any need for it, anyway. K-Meleon actually loads much faster than IE.

Posted by: Dale Scoggins
Date: December 01, 2006 04:43PM

I understand the problems that many of you are discussing here. This won't help any of you but I still would like to submit it.

I am not into programing or changing a programs code or what ever. I use K-Meleon simply because it is the fastest, easiest, and so far the safest browser I've ever used and I have tried at least 20 different browsers looking for the one I am most comfortable with. K-Meleon is the absolute #1 winner. I make very simple changes that are made from the preferences areas on the toolbar. Other than that, I use K-Meleon exactly the way it installs. I guess the most drastic change I make is changing the dragon throbber to a spinning globe.

I guess I understand why some would want to make changes in the configuration but I simply use it to get into to the internet. K-Meleon does everything I want and need for that purpose. This makes re-installing or upgrading to a new version very easy. I simply make my minor changes in preferences and replace the bookmarks and favorites with mine, which I backup every week.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.