General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
FF 1.5.0.9 bug fix out
Posted by: ndebord
Date: December 22, 2006 05:49AM

FireFox just put out security fixes for 1.5 and 2.0 engines. We should probably do likewise with KM 1.0.2.

N

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FF 1.5.0.9 bug fix out
Posted by: guenter
Date: December 22, 2006 01:21PM

The devs know that SeaMonkey 1.0.7 with GRE 1.8.0.9 is out.
I made sure by mailing kko on the early morning of the 21st
(it was only up for some hours - i found out when my TB updated to 1.8.0.9 smiling smiley

Posted by: Frank
Date: December 22, 2006 05:02PM

Guenter !

You mean TB 1509 yes ? <grin>

Frank

Date: December 22, 2006 06:01PM

jap - that has the 1.8.0.9 engine like the new FFox and SM updates.
Sorry for laps - it was not clear - but i only thought about engines.

Date: December 23, 2006 02:35PM

Guenter,

Good. Sounds like a patch we should use.

N

Posted by: JamesD
Date: December 24, 2006 01:54AM

A couple of questions from a non-programmer. Is all that is required is using some new DLLs or is coding in KM required? Seems like Brian used to do some updates to the earlier KM when a fix to the GRE happened. Is this something we could ask of him? His earlier updates were very, very good and easy to install.

Date: December 24, 2006 02:53AM

James,

Brian used to do incremental updates, but that was in KM 0.9, not KM 1.0xx. Don't think he has done anything with the new release. Good of you to bring it up, because I agree that having Brian around to do incremental updates on stable releases, like KM 1.02, would reduce the pressure on the current developer (Dorian) to deal with these bug fix issues and allow him to reserve his energy for work on new releases instead.

Just my two cents worth,

N

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2006 02:53AM by ndebord.

Posted by: mike
Date: December 25, 2006 10:24AM

What would you advise until a patch is issued for k-meleon,carry on as normal ?disable plug-ins ? disable Javascript ? any help appreciated.
Merry Christmas.
Mike.

Date: December 25, 2006 10:54AM

With regard to the posting I have just made,very surprised and disappointed to see my email address is shown when hovering my mouse over my name.Had I realised I would be publishing my address to all and sundry would not have posted.
Mike.

Posted by: Anonymous User
Date: December 25, 2006 11:52AM

Mike, at the main forums page (where the 4 forums are shown) there's a link at the top of the page to your control center where you can modify several things, one of those things is if you want your e-mail to be shown or not.

Date: December 25, 2006 12:04PM

Thank you,wish I had known that before.Hovered my mouse over a few other folks who had posted, wonder how many of them were aware they were supplying their email address.Still I will know in the future and now I will prepare for the spam !
Kind regards
Mike.

Date: December 25, 2006 12:48PM

Well, I've been showing my e-mail here always and have received no spam.

The only spam I receive is some offers from some people saying they're the sons of some african ex-governor and want my help to take some millions out of their country. This is a typical Internet swindle and if somebody believes it and wants to help to steal the money of an african country I'll be glad if they loose some money.

BTW, I'm receiving this e-mails (twice a month or so) long before I shown my e-mail here.

Date: December 25, 2006 01:54PM

I do not receive extra spam beause of here.

BTW. You can get for free such a fowarding mail like mine.

Posted by: mike.r
Date: December 25, 2006 02:01PM

Appreciate the jokes and it is Christmas,what are we all doing here ? should be with family and friends eating turkey.
I was going to start a new thread but instead will just post what I had intended here.

Today I posted to this forum,and found that it was not necessary for me to register before posting.
However when I checked to see if my comments had been published,I discovered that if I held my mouse over my name, my email address appeared for all to see.
I posted again asking why this should have happened,a reply was posted almost immediately,for which I am grateful.
It was explained that I could alter my profile to exclude the publication of my address,in fact as I have since discovered when you register your email address is blocked by default ,as it should be,but you have to be registered,this is the point,and I was not registered.
What I would like to know is (1) Why do you allow postings without folks being registered.
(2) Why do you allow email addresses to be published without the explicit consent of those involved.
Mike.

P.S. I am now registered.

Date: December 25, 2006 02:18PM

IMHO

1) Because there are lots of peple which doesn't want or are afraid to register. We don't want to loose their contribution. Before the 1st of november there were no forum registration, and it was good too.

2) When you register you have the option to go to your account config and change whatever you like to. If you didn't want to check it it's your problem, but I personally did it inmediately after registration. Something must be set as default settings, and IMO it's currently a good default settings, it's better for the community to have everyone's e-mail shown to make the contacts easier. And everyone has the oportunity to modify it easily.

PS. BTW I prefer a good rudimentary jam sandwich (I mean the spanish typical salty jam) than a turkey ;-)

Date: December 25, 2006 02:26PM

Thanks,have a good day,enjoy your sandwich.
Mike

Date: December 26, 2006 04:56AM

Pommerians like me have geese for xms. But would not mind to try the jam.

Posted by: roger
Date: December 26, 2006 12:26PM

Was there a K-Meleon incremental update from GRE rv.1.8.0.7 to GRE rv. 1.8.0.8? If yes, I missed it. If no, should we be looking for yet another incremental update now?

Date: December 26, 2006 03:10PM

From 1.02 pro thread:

Quicksilver tears
@guenter

did You also have to patch gklayout.dll for this build?
No

means that "1.02 pro" by k-meleon team RU can be updated using straight
1/1 with files from current Seamonkey ( keep k-meleon.xpt instead of SM siingle xpt in components - tested in update by a local friend // and our chrome naturally ). Just check which SM 1.0.7 files are used and newer than k-m files. Copy these to k-m folder that is all.

@ roger sorry going to work now. Answer You is all i can do at the moment.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2006 03:11PM by guenter.

Date: December 27, 2006 12:25AM

I have installed SeaMonkey (browser only) and have tried to check which DLL files are in common with K-Meleon (standard 1.02). This list has the DLL's I see in common between the systems.

appcomps.dll
composer.dll
mork.dll
perms.dll
pippki.dll
transformiix.dll
txmgr.dll
typeaheadfind.dll

I have gotten an install program and am going to try to lean how to use it to replace the files in KM with the files from SM.

Does anyone know if this list contains all the files I will need to change? This is my first attempt at doing something like this. I will gladly accept help and advice.

Note: I am not a logged in user of the forum but if I need to be in order to do this work and hopefully share it, then I will log in.

Date: December 27, 2006 05:00AM

Sorry forgot to mention: in ./components/ You need our k-meleon.xpt & profile.dll.
The rest can be SeaMonkey dll and js ( xpt come from joined k-meleon xpt ).
That is about 8 mb of dll in compoenets.

You may get old visual bug back. Only update whwen You need increased security.

Posted by: wildbill
Date: December 27, 2006 07:38PM

mike
What would you advise until a patch is issued for k-meleon,carry on as normal ?disable plug-ins ? disable Javascript ? any help appreciated.
Merry Christmas.
Mike.

@ Mike,

I surf with Javascript disabled and enable it when needed. I've read it's better for security reasons. I've also read, it doesn't make any difference but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Date: December 27, 2006 08:00PM

wildbill
mike
Merry Christmas.
Mike.

@ Mike,

I surf with Javascript disabled and enable it when needed. I've read it's better for security reasons. I've also read, it doesn't make any difference but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Many thanks for advice.
Regards Mike

Date: December 28, 2006 03:01AM

I have not understood directions. KM test unit with SeaMonkey files will not start.

Date: December 28, 2006 04:57AM

"Not start" is normaly missing chrome or damaged skin. All others damages will mostly start - btw. did You think of the 3 *71.dll that 1.02 needs & You can try with the en-Ru k-m.exe that does not need them. If You do not get ahead i will zip
my default later today (it is updated to 1.8.0.9 ). At 5.55 in the morning & just back from work I do not feel like it now. Not updated is no urgent problem is it?

Date: December 28, 2006 01:04PM

Guenter
Not really needing update for security reasons. Just wanted to play around with an update to see if I could.

Date: December 28, 2006 03:18PM

Get You - Yes do it - it is more fun to do it alone.

I first saw a a k-meleon updated by another forum memeber when i did not yet know what to do - It seemed idle knowledge then - two years later we needed it.

There are written how to update nowadays:

http://www.holgermetzger.de/kmeleonupdated.html German

http://www.holgermetzger.de/kmeleonupdate.html English

This update guide by Holger Metzler is about updating 0.9 with 1.7.x files.

We talk about updating 1.0 with 1.8.0.9 files - so we update with that or another
1.8.1.x or 1.8.0.x GRE - 1.9.x GRE are not easily compatible any more and 1.7.x
ones were never compatible to the 1.x K-Meleon.exes.

You need to keep k-meleon's profile.dll in components, which Holger Metzler does not mention ( how could he, he decribes updating 0.9 he he, and there are no changes in chrome so we keep that also ). WE really only want to update the dll that come from the SeaMonkey GRE.

So if You get stuck let me know. I upload mine for comparison.

Date: December 28, 2006 08:59PM

Guenter,

Thanks for the info. I will play around with this as I have time.

Date: December 30, 2006 03:23AM

Guenter,

I am scared that doing a bugfix update manually, by reading posts here, will not be a good option for most K-Meleon users (myself included!). I really wish we could get something like Brian's update executable available once again for this kind of inbetween fixes where we can sooth our anxieties about bugs and security issues, while awaiting the arrival of a new release (as we are right now awaiting the arrival of KM 1.1).

N

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2006 03:24AM by ndebord.

Posted by: sam
Date: December 30, 2006 05:09AM

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/
Project News
December 20th, 2006
"... SeaMonkey 1.1, which is expected to be released in the next few weeks."

Maybe we won't have to wait much longer for new GRE for K-Meleon. smiling smiley

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.