General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
ActiveX issue with K-Meleon
Posted by: neolem
Date: January 18, 2007 12:04AM

This is more a technical question than a real issue: in the Google groups there is an option to "Rate this post" and when I try to rate a post I get the message "You need to enable active scripting and activeX controls".

I have active scripting mostly enabled, but don't know how to go about the activeX thingy. Someone knows more about this? (I searched the forum, and downloaded those .dlls from http://www.lontronics.nl and put them in the K-Meleon's root folder, but that didn't help).

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ActiveX for K-Meleon 1.02 - 1.1a2
Posted by: guenter
Date: January 18, 2007 06:03AM

A.) General info for: Mozilla ActiveX Plugin and download Firefox 1.5 Version ( open, save as) for K-Meleon 1.02-1.1a2, all language versions.

B.) Get 7.zip install and/or use Your own unzipper.

1.) Unpack mozactivex-ff-15.xpi with unzipper (xpi = installable Mozilla zip package)
2.) To ditribute contence into correct folders.
* Close all instances of K-Meleon including loader.
* Go to the K-Meleon program folder (the location you installed K-Meleon to). The default location in English Windows is 'C:\Program Files\K-Meleon\'
* Go into the plugins folder and add the file 'npmozax.dll'.
* Go back to the K-Meleon program folder, and then go into the defaults/pref folder, and add the file 'activeX.js' (use that from Fred'`s issues or see next post and copy & paste post into a text type file and call it 'aciveX.js').
* Go back to the K-Meleon program folder, and then go into the components folder, and add the files 'nsIMozAxPlugin.xpt' & 'nsAxSecurityPolicy.js'. And delete: compreg.dat and xpti.dat (so that K-Meleon regenartes with new info).

The rest of the dll from the ActiveX archive goes to 'C:\Program Files\K-Meleon\'.

Further info about ActiveX at Mozilla Zine

p. s. also see there caveat: Adblock Extension can cause warning.

guenter's own activeX.js for K-Meleon 1.02 - 1.1a2
Date: January 18, 2007 06:13AM

/* You have to set allowByDefault to true to host activeX not mentioned here //cave: that can be dangerous - plz correct line strucure, each pref has one line, sorry for the inconvenience */
pref("general.useragent.vendorComment", "ax");
pref("security.xpconnect.activex.global.hosting_flags", 9);
pref("security.classID.allowByDefault", false);
/* Windows Media Player */
pref("capability.policy.default.ClassID.CID6BF52A52-394A-11D3-B153-00C04F79FAA6", "AllAccess");
pref("capability.policy.default.ClassID.CID22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95", "AllAccess");
/* Roboform */
pref("capability.policy.default.ClassID.CID724D43A9-0D85-11D4-9908-00400523E39A", "AllAccess");

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2007 06:15AM by guenter.

Re: ActiveX issue with K-Meleon
Date: January 18, 2007 01:53PM

Thanks for the detailed instructions, guenter. Couldn't make it run yet, though I set it to "default", but I'll look through the links you provided and keep experimenting when I have more time. As there is Roboform mentioned in that .js, what would I have to do to make Roboform run with the activeX? Maybe only one more step is missing?

Date: January 18, 2007 02:55PM

Several steps missing for Roboform. Roboform has a built in version and browser check. That is why i said "sabotaged" a while ago. I altered & installed a Xul extension that belongs to SeaMonkey.

I am not sure whether this class id is needed. I use it since I started to experiment with Roboform. I hope to find some time to re-check and prepare the k-meleon that I am using with some plugins and issue it for ppl that want NoScript and Roboform now. Thas still faster the explaining how. But i seem not to get anywhere soon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2007 02:55PM by guenter.

Posted by: MrBuzzbuzz
Date: January 18, 2007 08:02PM

guenter
"I hope to find some time to re-check and prepare the k-meleon that I am using with some plugins and issue it for ppl that want NoScript and Roboform now. Thas still faster the explaining how."
Looking forward to that Guenter, must open FF/Roboform now for certain lengthy log-ins, etc.
Thank you in advance,
Buzz

Date: January 18, 2007 10:05PM

Regarding use of password manager: I'm quite happy now with using an external stand-alone password manager that I start up with Windows and keep running in the system tray all the time (right now "Password Agent", as it uses less resources than KeePass). For online banking I use KeePass exclusively, as it's security features seem to be unrivalled. I'd never do online banking with Roboform, but for use on forums Roboform is ideal; even K-Meleon's password manager would be alright for forum logins, at least to my feeling, but it sometimes doesn't register that a password was entered and it cannot be edited manually either. A little improvement sure would do it good. ;-)

Date: January 21, 2007 02:23PM

Sorry, got to bump this thread:

I didn't manage to make the "Google Groups" rating feature (requires javascript and activeX) work in K-Meleon (no problem though in Opera, and in IE with low security settings).

Did any of the more knowledgeable guys here ever manage to use that rating feature from within K-Meleon? It is only available when you are logged in (you got to have a Google Groups account). Almost suppose it's not possible to use that feature in K-Meleon.

Date: January 21, 2007 04:00PM

Can Firefox or SeaMonky rate?

Date: January 21, 2007 05:31PM

Just checked: Firefox can do it (after permitting JS in NoScript). An old Mozilla version that I still use sometimes cannot do it and behaves like K-Meleon.

Date: January 25, 2007 03:52AM

Probably found the solution to the problem. At least that rating feature works now. Under Tools > Privacy I disabled the "Block Frames" feature. Can't remember having changed any other thing.

Date: January 27, 2007 01:34AM

Just in case someone might experience the same problem: I found out now what the real reason was that the rating feature in Google Groups didn't work with K-Meleon.

It was not the "Block Frames" option as I first thought, but the choice of the User Agent.

The two User Agents that block Google's rating feature are: MS IE 6.0 and Custom. The other User Agents (K-Meleon, Netscape and Opera) do NOT block that feature.

Tested it several times, and this seems to be what the real reason was.

I checked some more and it even works with activeX, allowByDefault, set to false (in activex.js). Perhaps wouldn't even have been necessary to install the Mozilla activeX plugin. ;-)

Date: January 27, 2007 03:53AM

I use yahoo mail - i knew that we had 2 use spoofed names for functions sometimes.
/ppl resingning recently as

dachte es war klar - dass wir oft versuchen zu Llügen?

IT IS NOT THAT K-M cannot use some things - but they R sabotaged. Roboform best $ example.

thx 4 reading my post.

Date: January 27, 2007 12:36PM

It's just a surprise that the spoofed MS IE agent does not work there. The real IE itself works. Maybe the spoofing of the MS IE agent within K-Meleon is just not set quite correctly and could be improved.

Date: January 27, 2007 02:06PM

I spoof the similar Firefox or SeaMonkey versions for best results.

For this I exchanged in about:config Opera for: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; de; rv:1.8.0.9) Gecko/20061206 Firefox/1.5.0.9
So that I have the option permanently.

Man besten eine Mozilla GRE spoofen!
Man kann rauskriegen, dass es kein MSIE ist:
Siehe http://gemal.dk/browserspy/
- aber nicht, welche Mozilla GRE btw. welcher Mozilla ;-)

Date: January 27, 2007 06:13PM

Very nice and useful site! BTW, in case you didn't know yet: in Opera, when you go to the cookie settings and then click on the "Network" tab, you have two options of spoofing Opera as IE. The first one is to present it simply as IE, and if that does not work, there is the special option to "mask" Opera as IE. Then it really does not seem to get recognized anymore by any site. But this only works via the cookies settings for individual sites and not generally. Just tested this and the site you mentioned can't recognize Opera with that special option enabled and thinks it's really IE, whereas using K-Meleon with the MS IE agent, it can still recognize it's a Netscape browser.

My stupid IE even shows every site that I still have Maxthon installed somewhere on my HDD and also got FDM (Free Download Manager) installed and even my SP 1!!! Hardly dare to use that talkative browser anymore. ;-)

Date: January 27, 2007 06:41PM

Good to know this about Opera but does the MS update page fall for that?
I have not found where to set Opera to spoof - guess i am blind :-)

neolem
Hardly dare to use that talkative browser anymore. ;-)

Look @: http://tredosoft.com/Multiple_IE IMHO the standalones talk less. You can probably even install Trident version 7 on SP1 and use it with an IE-shell.

Date: January 27, 2007 07:21PM

does the MS update page fall for that?

Can't answer that. I never update or patch Windows or even visit the M$ sites. Waste of time for me and I don't feel I need it. ;-)

Actually I use IE ONLY anymore because of KeePass and my one banking account. There's a special plugin (KeeForm) for KeePass that allows entering passwords on sites without even any "auto-typing" and that makes entering passwords even undetectable for keyloggers. This feature only works with IE because of a certain COM. So, the funny thing is that for online banking I use unsafe IE exclusively as it provides the safest entering of passwords via KeePass (KeeForm).

User agent setting is a bit awkward to find in Opera: Tools (Extras) > Preferences (Schnelleinstellungen) > Advanced (Erweitert) > Cookies > Manage cookies (Cookies verwalten) > Add, or Edit (Hinzufügen, oder Bearbeiten) > Network Tab -> Browser identification. There are two options in the drop down box for using IE.

Only found out about it the other day on their support page. It's the "masking" feature that completely hides Opera.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.