General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
How to launch Acrobat(Foxit)
Posted by: msb
Date: March 10, 2007 07:24PM

How do I set up the browser to automatically launch Acrobat Reader(Foxit)

It sits with a blank page, then I get a message sometimes which states 'unable to launch acrobat', I am running Windows XP SP2 and I have Adobe Acrobat 8 pro installed and Foxit reader

Any ideas and thanks in advance to anyone who replies

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to launch Acrobat(Foxit)
Posted by: guenter
Date: March 10, 2007 10:31PM

You set it up as system default;

& U set in mimeTypes.rdf: handle with system default that is done via mtypes editor at the bottom of Edit menu item.

OS part: Right click on a pdf file ( it can be a renamed fake txt winking smiley & at the bottom You chose Foxit or whatever application & confirm.

Alternatively most apps offer in their options to take responsibility for certain mimetypes / extensions. Chose that the apps of Your choise handle all they can do.

thx 4 reading my post

Posted by: desga2
Date: March 11, 2007 02:39PM

You must confirmed have foxit plugin in plugins folder and not have Adobe plugin in plugins folder.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Posted by: msb
Date: March 11, 2007 07:08PM

Thanks to all who contributed I have resolved the issue by installing Acrobat Reader 8, shame because Foxit is a smaller program and I find it less obtrusive compared to the Adobe product.
I am a silver surfer so anything a we bit complex tends to baffle me but I am learning. I am very pleased with the K-Meleon browser it's electric compared with any others I have tried it does what it says on the can
Cheers msb

Posted by: guenter
Date: March 12, 2007 05:05AM

Can be a thing with Your registry; As soon as one program does it correctly it is normally fixed - so You even could try with Foxit now.

BTW. There are quite a few silver surfers using K-Meleon.

Posted by: Arual the Wyrd
Date: March 20, 2007 01:42AM

My hair is pretty dark yet winking smiley

Adobe is shamefully bloated. I prefer Foxit too, but had to install Adobloat to fill out a couple of tax forms that had unnecessary features. Bloat needs bloat.

I always disable/remove the plugins, I hate having a PDF reader embedded in my browser. Not long ago I cleared up a misunderstanding for a fellow who had been trying to search the Adobe site for something in a PDF he had just found...he had clicked the Adobe ad thinking it was a search button, and of course it had opened a new (IE) window. *shakes head sadly*

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.