General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Pocket K-Meleon CD
Posted by: Melone
Date: July 29, 2007 12:02AM

Hi,
this "letter" was written off-line and I'll have send it to Douglas McFadzean, if I'll have found his e-mail on his site, but I didn't find it and so I'm here..
I hope that he reads this post..however there are also general question about K-Meleon, and so you can help me..

"first of all sorry for my bed english...
I've some question about your Pocket K-Meleon 1.1 (Alain Aupeix), and hope that you can give me an hand. I'll try to be quick!

I'm working to a project that consists to create a CD that uses html files like subjects, like Ubuntu CD when you play it on Windows, but my objective is little more bold (complex)… however, I want create a “K-Meleon CD version” starting from your Pocket K-Meleon.

Actually I have 4 “little problems”:

1. can I say to K-Meleon that mustn’t create xpti.dat? how?

2. I would keep only “profiles” dir placed into “default”, so I try to eliminate “profiles” and “profiles.ini” in main dir, and I see that so K-Meleon doesn’t read “default/profiles” and if you set preference from K-Meleon it creates a dir in a Windows dir… so I take “profiles.ini” from basket
and set it so:

path=defaults/profiles
IsRelative=1

It doesn’t work… well I said…and so I reset it:

path=defaults/profiles
IsRelative=2

now it works, but works also if I set “IsRelative” to “3”, the point is that I don’t know what is “IsRelative”

But the question is: in typical distribution of K-Meleon there isn’t “profiles.ini”, program read for default “default/profiles”… how can I return in this “situation”?

3. What I have to set for have K-Meleon with statusbar hide already at start?

4. what I’ll have to write in reame.html at “Notes about Pocket K-Meleon”?

Thanks for your time and your help if you would help me."

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pocket K-Meleon CD
Posted by: sensai
Date: July 29, 2007 01:52AM

you might be better off starting with one of Fred's km for cd versions, which can be found in this thread ->http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,72556

cheers,

sensai

Posted by: JujuLand
Date: July 29, 2007 08:31AM

@ Melone,

1) xpti.dat is not create by K-Meleon if already existing and is set in Components folder. So, I don't understand where is the problem. I don't remember if it's already in the package, but if none, just launch it from the HD and you can keep then the 2 datfiles.

2) I use a dll modified by Douglas to fix the name of the profile, and which locates the profile folder under K-Meleon folder which is a good thing for a CD.

Where would you put your profile?
Where is located your folder default?

Standard build don't create profiles.ini, which is only created when profiles are located under K-Meleon folder, and not user folder.

3) Advanced Preferences > Display > Hide Statusbar. you can they add this pref in defaults\pref\k-meleon.js (I think)

4) You can write what you want, nobody is the owner of the build, you're free. Just modify a link which is outdated (in my build)

@ sensai

The only default I found to Fred's build, is that it's a 0.9 based version (but someone can found it as an advantage).

I'm about to update Pocket K-Meleon's build to 1.12

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2007 08:33AM by JujuLand.

Posted by: guenter
Date: July 29, 2007 03:05PM

Another portable K-Meleon approach can be found for Bart's PE CD.
Its based on an older K-Meleon version. Maybe a few ideas can be added from there.

p. s. AFAIK Ubuntu CD launcher is a K-Meleon smiling smiley

Date: July 29, 2007 03:17PM

Only point 4 is now ok!
Because:

1. yes, xpti.dat is not create by K-Meleon if already existing, but it modified that with data about my pc (this is the problem JujuLand!), and it is not good if I must distribute this version of K-Meleon in CD (however it’s not a big big problem, I can replace it with original file before burn CDs)

2. when I talk about “defaults/profiles” I mean the dir placed in K-Meleon obviously, the originally headquarters of preference’s files… I dislike have more directories that need at the same things… but for this point I believe that can help me only Douglas (I don’t know how DLLs work)

3. I don’t know why but if I hide status bar from “Advanced Preferences” when I restart K-Meleon it isn’t hide! So I must set manually this option...I know that exist this command ID_VIEW_STATUS_BAR, but I don’t know how use it!

Some idea?

Posted by: sensai
Date: July 30, 2007 02:12AM

@Jujuland:

you are right for sure that Fred's k-meleon builds are 1.02 "only", but they are coming with as cd-kiosk-mode version out of the box (which is exactly what Melone seemed to try to archive) and might be easier to adapt to ones own liking imo.

cheers,

sensai

Date: July 30, 2007 10:40AM

Yes, I watched Fred's K-Meleon first to start wich Pocket K-Meleon, but it appeared me more "incasinato" (confused). There are more files and dir, and other things...

Posted by: greg
Date: August 04, 2007 03:23AM

Alain
I'm about to update Pocket K-Meleon's build to 1.12

Please do let us know when Pocket K-Meleon 1.12 is ready. Your portable version is very nice and capable. It is not only my browser of choice, it is my only browser!

Thank you, and ...

Cheers!

Posted by: Douglas
Date: August 12, 2007 04:18PM

@Melone:

Sorry, but as I'm now working mostly under Linux, I don't really have the time to look into your queries in detail. However, I don't think I could add much to the replies you have already received. I would certainly look at Fred's CD-specific versions and Alain's recent Pocket K-M 1.1 packages.

@Alain:

Just to clarify: the kprofile.dll which I used for Pocket K-M came direct from Dorian, pre-compiled, quite a long time ago. I don't know whether he ever produced a more recent version.

PS: (For some of you old-timers out there) I corresponded with Eyes-Only a month or two ago via the MepisLovers forum!

Regards,
Douglas

Posted by: JujuLand
Date: August 12, 2007 07:24PM

@Douglas,

Thanks for your answer, I'll ask to Dorian.

If you talk again with Eyes-Only, ask him if he always need an acadian version of K-Meleon, From Alain obviously.

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.