General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Cached files limitation, gecko issue?
Posted by: Drahken
Date: September 26, 2007 03:24AM

Checking here first, although I'm pretty sure I'll have to bring it up in mozilla's forums. The cache is a function of the gecko GRE, and problems with the cache are problems with the GRE, right?

I'm trying to figure out why KM won't create single files in the cache that are larger than 31.9Mb (nor even split larger files into multiple cache files), and if there's a way I can change that behavior.
Load a video from some website (one larger than 31.9Mb, obviously), then check your cache. No matter how large the vid was, it will only have 1 31.9meg file in your cache folder.

Edit: Looks like it might not be a strictly gecko issue after all. I tried it with firefox, and it only goes to 24.4 megs. I think it might be some option or setting when one is compiling the GRE.

----
"People who live in glass houses ....should close the friggin curtains!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2007 03:34AM by Drahken.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cached files limitation, gecko issue?
Posted by: kko
Date: September 26, 2007 12:11PM

Videos are usually not displayed/handled by the browser itself (like images), but by a plugin. The cached file size limitation may be the result of plugin settings or due to the way the plugin is used on a particular site (partial pre-caching only to avoid interruption of the playback).

Posted by: Terry
Date: September 26, 2007 03:54PM

I believe that the read ahead function of video players (which handle the images) is fed into a .tmp file located in any number of temp location folders in Windows. The size might depend upon how much volatile memory is available given all of the processes running in Windows.
What subdirectory are you looking in to get your values? On mine the cache is found in \Applications and Settings\(nameofuser)\Local Settings\Application Data\K-Meleon\default\cache

Posted by: Drahken
Date: September 26, 2007 05:29PM

I'm not 100% certain if the browser caches all video files, but it definitely caches FLV/flash video files (which is what nearly all the video sites use), it also caches MP3 files. It uses plugins to -render- the files, but the browser itself caches them.

The maximum size of any individual cached item in KM is 31.9megs. It makes no difference at all what site I go to. KM completely caches any file under 31.9M, but only caches the first 31.9M of any file larger than that. It makes no difference how large or small I set the overall cache size in about:config (neither the disk cache nor memory cache settings have any effect on this). The about:config settings only affect the overall cache, and have no effect on individual file sizes within the cache.

It also makes no difference whether KM is the only prog running or whether I have 100 progs running. Nor does it make a difference if the cache folder has nearly reached it's limit, nor if I cleared it just before loading the video.

Also, the fact that I get different results (with the exact same video file & site) in KM versus firefox (even though both are using the exact same plugins) is more proof that it's the browser which is performing the caching & not the plugin.

Terry- I'm looking in KM's cache folder (of course), which I have set to use a subfolder within KM's program folder. Likewise with firefox.

----
"People who live in glass houses ....should close the friggin curtains!"

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.