General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
What is the max. file size for cached files?
Posted by: JohnHell
Date: December 21, 2008 10:42PM

I usually, when I watch a flash video, and if I like it, go to the cache folder and copy it to somewhere (and rename it to flv, or mp4 (if HD) or whatever).

This is impossible if the flash video is transferred with the adobe protocol rtmp (it is as rstp or mms for real video and windows media). Ok, I know that limitation and also that, sometimes, the file is not being cached, but this can be solved reloading the video in the browser.

But what I have found too is that with HD videos, if the file is too large (and maybe I mean over.... 60MB?) then the file isn't cached.

I know, I know, some of you are now thinking about cache size, but I have set it to 400MB (409600 KBytes) (oh, don't ask why) so, there shouldn't be any problems.

So, I ask, why when I watch this YouTube HD videos that are about 150MB, aren't cached?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LERxOtIMif4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDFp6ENWNVA

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What is the max. file size for cached files?
Posted by: guenter
Date: December 21, 2008 11:22PM

As You say: they should be in cache with Your settings. Why not?

Maybe use - Free Studio Manager - Youtube download.

It has other converters too - I use Youtube -> mp3 for glimpses of rare music.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2008 11:22PM by guenter.

Date: December 21, 2008 11:30PM

Thanks guenter, I have my own systems to download them winking smiley

Could be helpful for others, anyway.

The thing is to discover why, because while K-meleon is or the flash player is downloading the file to be watched, a file is being created in the cache folder, but then, disappears :/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2008 11:31PM by JohnHell.

Posted by: guenter
Date: December 21, 2008 11:55PM

JohnHell
I have my own systems to download them winking smiley

Good.

JohnHell
a file is being created in the cache folder, but then, disappears :/

No good - IMHO it is treated like a temp file.

Posted by: desga2
Date: December 22, 2008 12:00AM

Try to check in Flash cache: Setings Manager.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: December 22, 2008 12:11AM

I remember that, but that is not exactly as it looks. That only works to set how much information should be stored from sites, but as, for example, to cache the YouTube player or other things but not the files. For that already exists the browser cache and it works, but with some files and with some sizes... doesn't work :/

You can check that under:
X:\Documents and Settings\username\Datos de programa\Macromedia
(X:\Documents and Settings\username\Application data\Macromedia for non spanish systems)

I think I'll test with Internet Explorer, as it saves too on its cache folder, and with the flv extension (not random names as Gecko browsers or Opera do).

EDIT: Well, at the moment, is being saved as an mp4 and the size is growing. I hope it reaches the end without deletion.

EDIT1: Kept, even after closing Internet Explorer. Retrying with K-meleon.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2008 12:45AM by JohnHell.

Date: December 22, 2008 01:48AM

After trying again with K-meleon... nothing.

While you are downloading/watching the video, the file is being created in the cache folder until reach this size:

Then stops and where is stored the data is in the windows temp folder (this file is created with any browser, because is part of flash player):

The problem is that this file can't be copied anywhere when already downloaded:

At the end, if you close the K-meleon video window, the file in the cache folder is deleted and the one in the temp folder too.

sad smiley

If you are asking yourself, why I'm asking and investigating this, is because is a waste of DSL bandwidth and time while you download/watch it without the possibility to save. Then you must re-download again (using the guenter's recommendations or others) and it's quite annoying :/

I'm not going to use IE for this, of course, and I don't understand why K-meleon stops downloading to cache folder :-???

Does it happen to all gecko browsers? No idea. As I said I want to save my bandwidth and I'm bored of these tries confused smiley

If anyone wants to try it with Firefox, or Seamonkey, or opera, you are free to do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2008 01:49AM by JohnHell.

Date: December 22, 2008 05:24PM

Well, I searched the net today and this is an issue from 2001 O_o

So... what a crap! They don't want to fix or... well, it looks like the way gecko browsers cache files now (from then) has that limit on 63.9MB :/

At the mozilla bug websites there are some solutions, so, if Dorian or someone else implement it, nice, but I think I don't trust on this tricks so maybe it should be like it is sad smiley

Posted by: Yogi
Date: December 22, 2008 08:45PM

JohnHell
If you are asking yourself, why I'm asking and investigating this, is because is a waste of DSL bandwidth and time while you download/watch it without the possibility to save. Then you must re-download again (using the guenter's recommendations or others) and it's quite annoying :/

You don't waste DSL bandwidth and time if you download the flash video at first.
Than you can watch and decide what to do whith the video. That's my approach at least.
This way you can also spare a lot of your browser's resources.

Basically there is no limit for Opera's cache. However the recommended (for good reasons) max limit is 400MB.

It's just a noob's guess but the 65MB limit might be related to the indexing technique used and was set for best performance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2008 08:54PM by Yogi.

Date: December 22, 2008 10:50PM

You are right, but what is a waste of time is watch a video in HD, just to enjoy, and then, if you like, you can't save anywhere easily "extracting" from the cache folder. You have to download it again (x minutes, with you connection at top speed, depending of the system you use to download and the time it takes). Imagine if someone is paying, instead X bucks per month for his connection, X buck for GB downloaded... Absolutely a waste.

You suggest to download and then watch (what indeed is better cause the HD videos use less resources out of a flash player), but I don't intend to download every video, so, you hope, at least, to have it cached while you are watching it and then, maybe then... save.

winking smiley

Posted by: JamesD
Date: December 23, 2008 01:41AM

What is the value in your browser.cache.disk.capacity ?

Date: December 23, 2008 03:48AM

I already said, James.

Don't try to find the answer, is how gecko browsers manage the cache.

Indeed is the "Yogi's "noob's guess"". You can find it in the mozilla forums.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.