General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
kmeleon bloat
Posted by: disrupted
Date: January 03, 2009 02:08AM

i didn't realise how big the folder grew and then i was doing a check and i was shocked.. 80+ mb! .. and this is only one version installed there

too many autoit scripts, testers and chromes and obviously plugins taking half that size.. but the nice part is, no matter what crap i keep throwing in; the performance is never affected smiling smiley
.. i certainly do love kmeleon

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: kmeleon bloat
Posted by: JamesD
Date: January 03, 2009 12:50PM

My KM folder is 54.6 MB but 34.4 of that is cache. That leaves only 20.2 for KM itself, and of that macros and history take 1.6 MB.

And KM is still so fast!

Posted by: disrupted
Date: January 03, 2009 02:24PM

makes you wonder how will firefox react if it was treated the same way..

Posted by: encoderX
Date: January 03, 2009 06:20PM

19 MB here but, I always use KnoiaWarm theme, empty the cache after use but, use spellchecker (spelltest) plugin.

I know FF in Ubuntu linux had a problem cos of a certain file within just grew and grew ... I ended up using KM in 'wine' grinning smiley

--
★ e n c o d e r X ★

Posted by: encoderX
Date: January 05, 2009 02:55AM

Geez! has anyone 'benchmarked' Safari?

It uses Mozilla rendering but, geez it hogs resources on my machine to the tune of 84MB ... where K-meleon used 19MB on the same basic page / minimized :s

I'm astounded but, it loads pages fast despite using tons of mem ...

--
★ e n c o d e r X ★

Posted by: guenter
Date: January 05, 2009 04:24PM

encoderX
Geez! has anyone 'benchmarked' Safari?

It uses Mozilla rendering but, geez it hogs resources on my machine to the tune of 84MB ... where K-meleon used 19MB on the same basic page / minimized :s

I'm astounded but, it loads pages fast despite using tons of mem ...

Yes it is fast, IMHO all recent browsers except IE 6 & 7 are grinning smiley

Safari 3 is by far not as fast as Apple claimed. I did not get hold of Safari 4 beta but testers wrote it has a better JS engine.

Maybe I understood You wrong, but AFAIK Safari uses Webkit a spin off from KHTML.

Safari folder has 60 MB on much of it is loaded to run the browser which also uses big modern runtime dll - no wonder it uses 84 MB when started. A current Webkit nightly has 79 MB (without the exe to start it!).

p.s. Iron (much like chrome, but without its data collecting habits) is another nice browser based on the Webkit/KHTML engine.

Posted by: donb
Date: January 06, 2009 02:11PM

I understand it as an old problem of gecko. I used this program, CleanMem By PCWinTech.com. You can set to run every 5 -10-20 -30 min via the windows scheduled task-system tools-accessories. The program doesn't run in the back ground, once it does its job it closes and doesn't run again until the task scheduler runs it. This way K-mels memory don't bloat. You can always check what the program does in the windows task manager.................................... Hope it helped

[www.majorgeeks.com]

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.