General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Top 3 reasons why I left Firefox - post yours !
Posted by: Leavingfif
Date: January 22, 2009 10:02PM

I would like to say I have officially left Firefox 3. I used to use Firefox 1.5 but that had security vulnerabilities and neither vs 2 or 1.5+ were updated for them. I tried FF3 for a few months and hated it. Here are my 3 top reasons why :-

1) "Awesomebar": FF3 combines the url entry field with search functions. The url entry field effectively becomes something a bit like a google search field. This made it impossible to find past websites I had vicited by typing the first few letters because FF3 tried to interpret what I wnated and always had it wrong.

2) Monstrous memory footprint. If you open 3 tabs in FF3 you get a memory footprint of about 80-100 megabytes. Any more than that and you could get 150- 200 megabytes usage with no additional functionality. When I asked Mozilla about this, they said I should get a faster computer. Ridiculous! A faster PC isn't going ot add anything to browsing functionality, and neither does FF3.

3) FF3 has malware on it. FF3 comes installed with a site reporting service which checks your site against a list prIvately prepared by Google to warn you if the site is blacklisted. But worst of all, this site list can grow to 100 megabytes on your hard drive and will not warn you of this gross misuse of memory space. This is effectively malware to me because it usurps a private function without informing me beforehand.

What are your top 3 reasons for leaving FF?

Those guys at Mozilla have a bad case of hubris overcoming their ability to see what they are doing wrong.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2009 12:11AM by Leavingfif.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Top 3 reasons why I left Firefox - post yours !
Posted by: ndebord
Date: January 22, 2009 11:44PM

Well, FF 2.xx is my backup browser. FF3.xxx (so far) has been a bust for all the reasons you mention. Hubris has been a constant feature of the "Young Turks" who took over Mozilla and banished the Mozilla Suite (now Seamonkey).

As for KM, I've been using it since 0.6 and love it. Always small, always fast and your perfect example of Mom & Pop development. One developer at a time and a small band of coders swirling around providing lots of delicious addons.

<just my two cents worth>

N

Posted by: Leavingfif
Date: January 23, 2009 12:13AM

can someone explain what they mean by "young turks" who took over firefox and dumped sthe old mozilla suite..?

wwhat has been happening at firefox...?

Posted by: guenter
Date: January 23, 2009 12:17AM

1.) On my PC and for my purposes Windows widgets & MFC simply outperform XUL.eye rolling smiley
2.) I can configure K-Meleon. smiling smiley
3.) I like this Forum better - few flames, no Firefox aficionados.

p.s. I did not leave Firepox - - Phoenix did not yet exist - when I started to use K-Meleon :O

I do not mean technical competence (the devs at Mozilla.org are oustanding). But I agree with "hubris overcoming ... ability" - M.org's managers already started the game of "You have the wrong browser looser" in the MS fashion if they detect an older version.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2009 12:38AM by guenter.

Posted by: Arrow
Date: January 23, 2009 03:49AM

Top 3 reasons why I left Firefox

I didn't leave it, I've rarely used it beyond periodic research purposes to keep track of what it can do.

I found the fan-boy syndrome and many forum attitudes so offputting that I also steered clear of it for that reason. they weren't environments I wanted to ask and learn in.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2009 03:59AM by Arrow.

Posted by: MrWoo
Date: January 23, 2009 11:04PM

I did not leave it either. I have it installed and use it rarely. I have never liked it. I always used Opera or KM. Opera used to be my choise, but as it becomes more of a 'suite', I have gravitated almost exclusively to KM.

I don't know why some are so adamant that FF is superior. Used to be on dialup you could say Opera was superior, and it would have been fact.

If FF works for someone, great. But to strut around like a prima-donna because one's opionion is held in such high self-regard is funny. There are no absolutes with software, because every user likes difference.

The very reason KM is so nice.. you don't have to buy a newer faster mo-better comptuer to use it. Seems like the same attitude is also present in the designers of the new windows OS's. Pony up and buy a new system so you can run it. I wonder how much kickback the software and hardware companies do between themselves.

MrWoo.

Date: January 24, 2009 02:41AM

There was a difference of opinion at Mozilla some years ago now. Mozilla Suite, aka Netscape Communicator (recoded), was the kitchen sink browser, email, etc., program. What I characterize as the "young turks" wanted to have a standalone browser without all the other stuff. That is how the split occurred. The "young turks' prevailed and the Mozilla Suite became Seamonkey (or as some wits have said: "Allizom" <g>.

N

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2009 02:43AM by ndebord.

Posted by: h born
Date: July 22, 2009 06:43PM

I left Firefox because it would not work on an increasing number of web pages as each new version came out. I have just tried FF3.5 and it is as bad as v.3. It will not work with many e-bay pages or BBc.co.uk and has problems with hotmail and yahoo mail and it has bloated up over the years. I understand traders on e-bay are also having problems with Ff3-3.5.
Reason 2 is the arrogance of the people involved (mentioned previously in this post). Mozillazine is also useless they do not seem to understand their user base at all. If I buy Zone Alarm pro for $49.99 and Firefox doesn't work with it but K-M and other browsers do I am going to junk FF which is free (and not worth the money) not my paid-for software. They do not seem to realise that the users going to Mozillazine are a tiny fraction of the Browsing community, most people, if they find FF doesn't work properly will just go to another(working) browser. Probably 260 million downloads and 100 Million plus not used any more! Lets get K-M more popular.
3rd reason FF often stops working for no reason when some file in the profile gets corrupted, if you haven't backed up you lose your history and passwords, it even happens when you upgrade. Deleting random .rdf and .js files to keep a browser working is not my idea of good software. The last time I used FF3.5 it opened about a dozen versions of itself with one double click- that has never happened with any other software - EVER.

Date: July 22, 2009 08:06PM

I used to like it...Back in the day when 223 MB ram was still enough to run

Firefox..many,many,many moons ago...

But not anymore...

My favorite forums
http://www.graphixanstuff.com
http://www.closeprotectionworld.co.uk/index.php?referrerid=11530

Posted by: JamesD
Date: July 22, 2009 10:20PM

Sorry, unable to post reason. Never used FF. Came to KM from IE.

Posted by: chinarobin
Date: July 22, 2009 11:20PM

my pc bought in 2006, although it's not so old, i don't like fx.

1.it's quite slow at startup when using fx
2.heavy for my pc,it doesn't go smoothly with my computer.
3.km is light, fast(though not the fastest at moment), enough functions for my everyday use.
4.also, i like the harmonious atmosphere in this forum, and i hope more and more people join us:drool:

Posted by: foobarly
Date: July 23, 2009 11:46AM

Didn't leave totally, still use it from time to time, mostly in Linux. My reasons to dislike it:

1. Resource hogging
2. Lagging
3. Page load stalling

For fairness, want to state what I like about it, too:

1. Clean interface (pity it's all XUL, should be system API)
2. Universal and really easy support customization and for best extensions (Adblock+, Flashblock, Flashgot, Quickdrag, Configmania, but can rapidly become a tainted blessing...)
3. Broad multiplatform support and easily available (You can't beat 'apt-get install firefox')

K-Meleon could really be the Windows Firefox killer, if it just managed to:

1. Be kept closer to Firefox development (in the spirit of Swiftfox, Iceweasel, Flock or Orca, f.ex.), swiftly changing only the essential minimum (no XUL, LUA support, plugins, etc), i.e., have greater and better modularity
2. Manage bugs and usability faster and better
2. Have a wider community, of both users and devellopers, in order to get more hands/eyeballs for the previous requisites

Just my 2 ¢...

--- sig ---

Posted by: MrWoo
Date: July 25, 2009 07:16AM

Used to be IE had such a large share, now though from traffic I see, FF is ahead my a good margin. Followed by IE. It is interesting that Opera is actually not that far behind IE. KM is unfortunately as I saw, only 2% of traffic where I can look.

Still though, I do believe the primary goal was met, and that was to get everyone off IE with its built-in black hole of exploitation.

So in that respect, at least FF is helping to secure peeps out in the world who don't know anything except to use something other than IE.

That still does not help thier high and mighty attitude or thier rather large resource footprint.

I often think it is good that KM is not more popular. It would be a shame to see it ever morph into something like FF is.

MrWoo.

Posted by: mslayer
Date: July 25, 2009 05:17PM

I don't think that FF is more secure than IE. More people hate it.

FF is too heavy to run in my old Computer. I have Opera, IE6 and K-M1.5.3 currently.

Date: July 25, 2009 11:48PM

Leavingfif
can someone explain what they mean by "young turks" who took over firefox and dumped sthe old mozilla suite..?

wwhat has been happening at firefox...?

Leavingfif,

The young turks thing should probably be renamed aging young turks. it has been quite some time since Mozilla split into two major parts: the new crew who wanted a standalone browser and went for Google suport and the old crew who did Mozilla Suite, which is essentially an updated and recoded Netscape Communicator. Mozilla Suite was subsequently renamed SeaMonkey as the Mozilla Foundation wanted to keep the name for their foundation and company even though their primary product was FireFox, not the Suite.

N

Posted by: BlueScreenJunky
Date: July 28, 2009 08:28AM

I didn't leave FF either, because... Well because I still use it as my main browser right now and find it really great. The awesome bar can be annoying at times, but it can also be very useful most of the time.
The site reporting service can be turned off.
And it does use a lot of RAM, but I have 4GB installed in my system, and I think it's better to use a lot of RAM for caching and stuff if it's available, rather than letting this RAM unused (which is the real "waste").

Now my main reasons for using K-meleon :
-It's lightwight.
-It's fast.
-It runs perfectly on older systems.

So it really depends on which computer I am using ^^

Posted by: oldnavy
Date: August 04, 2009 12:57AM

OK! I am reading users opinions:
Firefox is bloated and memory hog...
IE6 is a mammoth...
IE8 made by MSoft therefore is bad and slow...
IE7 is worse than IE8...
Opera is not so fast I would like..
K-Meleon is almost unknown browser and some sites don't accept him...
Google's Chrome has private properties problem...
Safari 4 has to many bugs...
Come on, guys, what are there leaving?
Many official websites accept now IE, Firefox and sometimes Opera only.
Because of it you need to have one browser from above and any quantity others by your taste and preferences. I myself have Firefox 3.51 as official browser, K-Meleon 1.53 for surfing and Iron 3.0189 for websites with heavy graphical contents and games.
Iron now is fastest browser on such websites ( i didn't try Safari yet).
Oldnavy

Posted by: Bernt
Date: August 08, 2009 02:30PM

I have only one main reason, but that is a good one. All the FF3 versions I have tried have crashed when I open links that come with my email in Thunderbird. So I would have to copy paste every link to the browser. Not very good.

Posted by: bud
Date: August 10, 2009 12:30PM

I see Firefox has a new update, 3.5.2. It seems that lately, whenever Firefox has an update, another update is issued within the next 4 weeks. Wonder why that is?

Date: August 16, 2009 09:53AM

bud
I see Firefox has a new update, 3.5.2. It seems that lately, whenever Firefox has an update, another update is issued within the next 4 weeks. Wonder why that is?

1) Because the product they promote sucks that much that needs extensive repaires at every 2-4 weeks!!

2)Because they went *Microsoft way of thinking* : Update everything that moves!!!
3)Because they re trying to imprement new bollocks and are trying to make a BROWSER perform zillions other jobs..RSS Feed,Email suite,Html composer, kiss arse, greet you good morning ,display weater and news.. pour milk in your tea....you got the picture...

They forgotten that a browser is an aplication used to locate and display Web pages...

My favorite forums
http://www.graphixanstuff.com
http://www.closeprotectionworld.co.uk/index.php?referrerid=11530

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2009 09:57AM by Gorilla no baka.

Posted by: Influence
Date: August 17, 2009 04:22PM

This is the best review of the bunch. I love K-Meleon, but find I can't use it with Blackboard and some other sites.
I like the plugin options Firefox offers for downloads.
I'll give Iron a try.

Posted by: guenter
Date: August 17, 2009 05:52PM

Influence
but find I can't use it with Blackboard and some other sites.

"Spoof firefox as User Agegent": that is the usual way to get shoddy sites going.

p.s. It is always the site's bug if a standard compliant browser does not work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2009 05:52PM by guenter.

Posted by: Lyx
Date: August 18, 2009 09:09PM

Well, i haven't switched yet, but am very close to (the only showstopper left, is a bookmarks sidebar and the ability to close and open it via mouse-gestures). The top 3 reasons why i really want to switch:

- Firefox feels bloated even compared to itself when it was young. Furthermore, devs do no longer care about making an app behave "cleanly" (does not properly respect user OS-colorscheme, constantly writes to the harddisk exactly every 2 minutes even when offline/empty bookmarks/blank page... and so on)

- I strongly disagree with the path which the decisionmakers at mozilla are taking (the whole "blurring the distinction between the web and the pc"-crap). I want a browser, not another "remote-control my pc from the web"-platform.

- There aren't really any matching alternatives to k-meleon out there for my taste, and for my requirements, k-meleon is now "almost there".

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.