General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Very lean and very mean version of K-Meleon
Posted by: penang
Date: February 23, 2009 01:43PM

I need a very lean and very mean version of K-Meleon.

It will be used for a primary school's computer lab, with computers that runs Windows 98SE.

The computers have only 256MB to 512MB of RAM, so I am looking for a version of K-Meleon which is VERY light.

Got a version like that???

Anyone?

Danke !! Merci Beaucoup !! Thank You !!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Very lean and very mean version of K-Meleon
Posted by: desga2
Date: February 23, 2009 01:57PM

All K-Meleon versions will worked fine in your primary school's computer lab, with computers that runs Windows 98SE. smiling smiley

I recomended Official version with installer package.

Remember use k-meleon9x.exe if you use 7zip (.7z) instead installation (.exe) package.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2009 02:00PM by desga2.

Posted by: Luys
Date: February 23, 2009 05:46PM

desga2
Remember use k-meleon9x.exe if you use 7zip (.7z) instead installation (.exe) package.

Hola, Desga2, tengo instalado el KM-1.5.2; seguí los pasos que pusiste para hacerlo portable (descargué la versión .7z en inglés y, a continuación, el paquete de idioma en español, que sobre-escribió al insertarlo los archivos en inglés correspondientes).
Una vez hecho, siempre lo he usado haciendo doble clic en el archivo k-meleon.exe, y no en el archivo k-meleon9x.exe, ya que pensaba que éste era sólo para las versiones de windows 98SE -yo uso XP sp3-.
¿Cuál es la diferencia entre usar el archivo k-meleon.exe, o usar el archivo k-meleon9x.exe?
Saludos una vez más.
L.

Posted by: guenter
Date: February 23, 2009 07:00PM

@ Luys
The installer would automatically chose the right version.

K-Meleon.exe is for xp. Runs With all NT based Windows (NT, Win2000, XP, Vista)

k-meleon9x.exe is for windows 9.x (95/98/Me).
This exe can run both with old 9x... and NT... OS but has limited unicode support.
Win9x are rare but I would keep both exes. Copy IMHO to USB also for portable!

p.s. You can also use the es-ES installer version and directly install on Your USB.
But You must de-select Multi USER Support. That makes any K-Meleon portable.
Add special xpcom.dll by desgas2 http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/KMPortable.
It prevents that anything is written to hdd.

You can change settings that is all to make a portable K-Meleon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2009 07:16PM by guenter.

Posted by: guenter
Date: February 23, 2009 07:11PM

penang
It will be used for a primary school's computer lab, with computers that runs Windows 98SE.

The computers have only 256MB to 512MB of RAM, so I am looking for a version of K-Meleon which is VERY light.

Got a version like that?

1.) 98se has needed dll updates.

2.) 256 plenty smiling smiley (min is 32 MB or so - I use Pentium III 500 mhz with 192 MB RAM)

3.) Many. All official and unofficial versions since the beginning of the project .

The official installers will automatically choose the correct exe. The difference between K-Meleon.exe (for NT) and K-Meleon9.x.exe (for Your OS without real unicode support) exists since K-Meleon 1.5.x.

Consider USB portable version also.

p.s. some current alphas will not support win98se anymore. But that is future.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2009 07:19PM by guenter.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.