General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: kma service (experimental)
Posted by: rodocop
Date: March 05, 2018 09:25PM

well it works for same domain images only - that's it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: chrizilla
Date: October 17, 2018 09:28PM

I installed "KMA Service" from http://kmext.sourceforge.net/ext4.htm
It says a menu entry will be created:
menu entry: file > kma service

But in KM77 I don't have a "file" menu when clicking on the the cogwheel toolbar icon.

So where can I find the file menu ?
Or where can I find the "save as kma" command ?

thank you

Re: kma service (experimental) / FILE menu missing sad smiley
Posted by: siria
Date: October 18, 2018 01:35AM

chrizilla

But in KM77 I don't have a "file" menu when clicking on the the cogwheel toolbar icon.

That's a general KM bug, frustrating since years sad smiley
Not just this macro, but lots of other macros too are broken since the File menu was hidden by default some years ago. For the same reason the "File Open" command is nowhere to be found anymore either. But devs consider this a "feature not a bug" sad smiley
Users are now expected to know to hit the "Alt" button to see hidden menus. You're a rare exception to care enought to ask here, but would bet that 999 other users instantly just give up that browser, when stumbling over the first of some grave GUI bugs (e.g.: no addons management page to be found either, etc.)

There are several possibilities as self-help bugfix, the best probably an ancient trick:
Switch the menu bar ON again (View>Toolbars), then minimize it to the size of 2-3cm by pulling other toolbars over it from the right side!
If that doesn't stick after closing the browser, do it again and now open any new page before closing the browser, that should store changed toolbar settings and positions (was another old bug, don't know if meanwhile fixed)

To keep this as default:
copy your new toolbar settings from profile prefs.js into KM/browser/defaults/skin.js

(PS: KM versions are one big mess too, just for info to reduce future confusions. KM77 is also called KM76-goanna, and KM78 will be called KM77 too)

Posted by: J.G.
Date: October 18, 2018 10:42AM

siria
chrizilla

That's a general KM bug, frustrating since years sad smiley
Not just this macro, but lots of other macros too are broken since the File menu was hidden by default some years ago. For the same reason the "File Open" command is nowhere to be found anymore either. But devs consider this a "feature not a bug" sad smiley
Users are now expected to know to hit the "Alt" button to see hidden menus. You're a rare exception to care enought to ask here, but would bet that 999 other users instantly just give up that browser, when stumbling over the first of some grave GUI bugs (e.g.: no addons management page to be found either, etc.)

There are several possibilities as self-help bugfix, the best probably an ancient trick:
Switch the menu bar ON again (View>Toolbars), then minimize it to the size of 2-3cm by pulling other toolbars over it from the right side!
If that doesn't stick after closing the browser, do it again and now open any new page before closing the browser, that should store changed toolbar settings and positions (was another old bug, don't know if meanwhile fixed)

To keep this as default:
copy your new toolbar settings from profile prefs.js into KM/browser/defaults/skin.js

(PS: KM versions are one big mess too, just for info to reduce future confusions. KM77 is also called KM76-goanna, and KM78 will be called KM77 too)

I have no problem at all to add this extension KMA to KMeleon 77 Hybrid.
Everything works as expected including the File menu options for KMA.
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?19,147947
https://ibb.co/jzcXvf

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2018 11:13AM by J.G..

Posted by: Mello
Date: October 21, 2018 12:02AM

o/t

siria
Users are now expected to know to hit the "Alt" button to see hidden menus.

Thanks, I didn't know this. I've reduced the size of my menu bar to >>

Date: October 31, 2018 01:35AM

@siria:
wow, thanks so much for your awesome posting.
that single-handedly answered something like 50% of all my K-Meleon questions I had not yet asked ... smiling smiley

this really means a lot to me, thank you!

siria
Users are now expected to know to hit the "Alt" button to see hidden menus.

When I click on the Preferences clogwheel icon and hit the "Alt" button, I don't get lots of hidden stuff. I can only select/deselct which toolbars I want to display. But I assume you meant something else ?

siria
You're a rare exception to care enought to ask here, but would bet that 999 other users instantly just give up that browser, when stumbling over the first of some grave GUI bugs (e.g.: no addons management page to be found either, etc.)

To be honest, yes the customization is not very user-friendly (to put it diplomatically). But after trying like 20+ other browsers, K-Meleon is the only one that works on my old hardware AND is able to render modern websites. So I am very happy I found K-Meleon!

Date: October 31, 2018 01:46AM

kma archiving works for me now smiling smiley
very nice ...

• 1 minor inconvenient I have just noticed, compared to the .maff archive:
    apparently the time/date and URL is not stored anywhere in the .kma file
  • and isn't the .kma file supposed to be a 7-zip file? My output .kma file is a regular zip file only.

Posted by: siria
Date: October 31, 2018 02:20AM

chrizilla
When I click on the Preferences clogwheel icon and hit the "Alt" button, I don't get lots of hidden stuff. I can only select/deselct which toolbars I want to display. But I assume you meant something else ?

Yeah, the hidden FILE menu has nothing to do with the gear button, it's not contained there.
Just meant:
when the menu bar is hidden, ALT+F will open the hidden FILE menu.
(and ALT+E the Edit menu, and ALT+S the Sessions menu, and ALT+V the View menu, etc.)

Sorry, I don't have much experience with hidden menubars, since mine is always kept visible. Always thought ALT alone were enough to show the whole menu bar, but meanwhile noticed, obviously not in all KM-versions.

Background info:
There's a checkbox in F2>GUI to "Display keyboard accelerators in menus"
No idea if that's on or off by default, but if checked this will show single underlined characters in most menu lines. Those characters are keyboard shortcuts, an alternative to clicking that line with the mouse. Some people can navigate faster in submenus by typing that underlined character on the keyboard instead.
The ALT-key is ONLY needed when no menu is visible yet. When you already see a menu and the underlined characters, hitting the specific key alone is enough, no Alt needed anymore.

Important: the chosen characters are language dependant!
English: ALT+F (open File menu)
German: ALT+D (file menu is Datei in german)
etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2018 02:26AM by siria.

Posted by: arakan arkino
Date: April 02, 2019 06:09AM

I’ve been waiting for some one to take-on a project like this. Sounds better than waiting for “saved pages” to load while online at the same time….slowing on-line activities.

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.