General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
WARNING! 1.5.3 INSTALL- WHAT THEY DON'T SAY
Posted by: braindead
Date: June 12, 2009 08:00AM

Not only is the 1.5.3 install confusing, so is this FORUM SOFTWARE. There appears to be NO WAY to recover a forgotten password-- I had to create a new account to post this because it's been some time since I logged in and I couldn't remember the password.

RE: 1.5.3 install:

Was running K-Meleon 1.5.2-- and have been noticing a lot more stalls & crashes of late so I figured I'd check for a later version. Downloaded 1.5.3 and installed-- in the same directory as previous version which I'm sure I've done before without problems. It appeared that ALL PREFERENCES AND BOOKMARKS WERE REMOVED! The upgrade procedure is poorly identified here if at all. And the profile with my carefully crafted preferences is all missing as well.

Now on closer inspection, it would appear the problem has to do with the fact that 1.5.3 now keeps profiles & bookmarks in "Documents and Settings" when the old one kept it in the "Program Files" directory-- a worthwhile change but confusing since it's not quite clear how to transition your old profile and settings...
--

Z

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2009 08:05AM by braindead.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WARNING! 1.5.3 INSTALL- WHAT THEY DON'T SAY
Posted by: guenter
Date: June 12, 2009 08:32AM

braindead
Not only is the 1.5.3 install confusing, so is this FORUM SOFTWARE. There appears to be NO WAY to recover a forgotten password-- I had to create a new account to post this because it's been some time since I logged in and I couldn't remember the password.

RE: 1.5.3 install:

Was running K-Meleon 1.5.2-- and have been noticing a lot more stalls & crashes of late so I figured I'd check for a later version. Downloaded 1.5.3 and installed-- in the same directory as previous version which I'm sure I've done before without problems. It appeared that ALL PREFERENCES AND BOOKMARKS WERE REMOVED! The upgrade procedure is poorly identified here if at all. And the profile with my carefully crafted preferences is all missing as well.

Now on closer inspection, it would appear the problem has to do with the fact that 1.5.3 now keeps profiles & bookmarks in "Documents and Settings" when the old one kept it in the "Program Files" directory-- a worthwhile change but confusing since it's not quite clear how to transition your old profile and settings...
--

Z

1.) You can contact the moxderators: ... e.g. me by mail. If You have used a correct mail address You can get back Your old pwd. If not it is lost.

2.) Try to recall Your choice on last install or...
2 default locations / Multi user support
%appdata%/K-Meleon/profiles/ // Next to where he says Firefox etc. has profiles
or old default location / deselect multis user support on install.
./Program Files/K-Meleon/profiles // Where he says K-Meleon Profiles are.

Copy the old data into Your new profile (saves me talk) or see FAQs.
You can drop a profile.ini into K-Meleon older - file can be emty.

3.) You simply forgot to deselect multi user Profiles on install.

or maybe select?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2009 12:04PM by guenter.

Posted by: desga2
Date: June 12, 2009 09:06AM

Yes there is a little problem in instalation proccess, this have Multi user support option selected by default.
We must change this option to detected previous installations option selected.
I like say that we need detect if already exist a profile.ini file in installation folder. If profile.ini file exist Multi user support option must be unchecked.

This solved your problem when update K-Meleon and not remember your options in previous installation.

JujuLand is the installation setup manager, but if he can't fix this I can do it for next versions.

Also is a good idea that K-Meleon setup create an "install.ini" file to save the options selected in installation and use this as default options in next update installed over previous installations.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: June 12, 2009 09:49AM

Truth be known..I have noticed some stalls as well...
There are quite a few times when K-meleon stalls...You can beat it, burn it refresh it what ever...the lizard won`t move at all,Wont respond no mater what you would click on.....

But I assumed that might have somethig to do with the fact that i am experimenting with the network values...

But our friend above...I am more than sure he has not messed around with the network values innit??

Any ideias what might cause the stalls??

Cheers!

My favorite forums
http://www.graphixanstuff.com
http://www.closeprotectionworld.co.uk/index.php?referrerid=11530

Date: June 12, 2009 10:51AM

desga2
We must change this option to detected previous installations option selected.

I like say that we need detect if already exist a profile.ini file in installation folder. If profile.ini file exist Multi user support option must be unchecked.

1.) Most PPL have NT/XP now. This setting must stay this way! Especially for Win6 & 7.

2.) It was done to to get rid of the FAQ: browser does not remember its settings.
Give exe writing rights in Prgram Files // how do I do that? :O & sad smiley
guenter: Change Eigenschaften, I do not know in en-US :s
desga2: But guenter that is properties - You can change K-meleon language to find out tongue sticking out smiley grinning smiley

p.s. Maybe: alain can make a new inscription "Portable/Profile In Install folder". eye rolling smiley
With hint: Needs writing privileges for install folder

And GRE should have Your hack! --with-user-appdir="" = void/empty as default. :B

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2009 11:00AM by guenter.

Date: June 12, 2009 11:05AM

Gorilla no baka
lizard won`t move at all,Wont respond no mater what you would click on.....

But I assumed that might have somethig to do with the fact that i am experimenting with the network values...

But our friend above...I am more than sure he has not messed around with the network values innit??

1.) Close it and start it up again - maybe ask disruted and the macro maker fraction for a extra button

2.) No its certain pages and content, IMHO.

3.) Mind Your and Your pets tongue tongue sticking out smiley

p.s. It does like to do that together when it has used certain plugins or ran into faul JS.
And - make a GRE with optimisation -O2,-GL or better for a save speed up with no experiments grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2009 11:09AM by guenter.

Date: June 12, 2009 11:08AM

guenter

p.s. It does like to do that together when it has used certain plugins or ran into faul JS. BTW - make a GRE with optimiaation -O2,-GL or better for a save speed up with no experiments grinning smiley

If i could...If i could...I am still struggling with the instructions on how to make a GRE...

sad smiley

I gues i have to visit you stay one day with you and watch you doing it and than maybe i could do it...

My favorite forums

Date: June 12, 2009 11:25AM

Gorilla no baka
If i could...If i could...I am still struggling with the instructions on how to make a GRE....

I am still working on fire and forget setup - press thumbs for me.

p.s. I am late, fought half a day with my ME Partition and RasPPP & a brocken, stuborn TBird 3 that rings the bell for new mail but does not show it.

I finally submitted - & installed TBird2 and Spicebird too.

p.s. I possibly have a solution 4 setup.

On

ac_add_options --disable-compile-environment

It does not check much of the compile enviroment.

I will try with virgin OS (ME & 2000) install and copy cl,link, includes,libs and all other hogwash into subfolders of mozilla-build. I have the haunch that they might be autofund there grinning smiley

This will exclude all finding errors - such as No Vista SDK (You need one missily file of it). Compiler cannot make exes (when just finds the wrong compiler)...

Ok - since You do not listen anyway:

Try Dorians an my optimisations combined

ac_add_options --enable-optimize='-O2,-GL'
LDFLAGS='-LTCG -OPT:REF -OPT:ICF'
AR_FLAGS='-LTCG'

Have fun & mind Your pets tongue, or little panda is on the environemental protection list soon..

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2009 11:29AM by guenter.

Date: June 12, 2009 11:30AM

guenter

Ok - since You do not listen anyway:

Try Dorians an my optimisations combined

ac_add_options --enable-optimize='-O2,-GL'
LDFLAGS='-LTCG -OPT:REF -OPT:ICF'
AR_FLAGS='-LTCG'

Have fun.

You do not understend....YOU REALLY HAVE TO SPOON-FEED ME..

As you can see from the Devs forum i am STILL AT STEP 2...I have not passed that..I supposed it is normal since i can not find informations in my own language...And it is the first time i am trying do to this..

From this point of view you are lucky...

My favorite forums

Posted by: ndebord
Date: June 13, 2009 04:31AM

Desga2,

<<Yes there is a little problem in instalation proccess, this have Multi user support option selected by default.

We must change this option to detected previous installations option selected. >>

Yes! Definitely! We used to have default in the program's folders, not in Windows sub-folder. I don't recall why it was ever changed.

N

Date: June 13, 2009 06:16AM

@ndebord.
Dorian changed when it had started to become a FAQ - that was when MS shipped XP as default. First all ran their Win 2000 & XP systems as Admin but then all those warnings and viruses came...

Before that we only ocassionally had NT based systems. I rmemeber that I did not know how K-Meleon was set up on a system where K-Meleon/Profiles were in %apdata% - when I first saw a question about K-Meleon making problems on WIN NT (4 ?).

@Gorilla, it would really help when native explanations were available - I used English how t2s - but the one I really understood was by Tiermann - whos has AFAIK the same mother language as me. Currently - I try to find a way how we get a Mozilla-Build environment that we just unpack or install & start.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2009 06:59AM by guenter.

Date: June 13, 2009 10:50AM

guenter
@ndebord.
Dorian changed when it had started to become a FAQ - that was when MS shipped XP as default. First all ran their Win 2000 & XP systems as Admin but then all those warnings and viruses came...

Before that we only ocassionally had NT based systems. I rmemeber that I did not know how K-Meleon was set up on a system where K-Meleon/Profiles were in %apdata% - when I first saw a question about K-Meleon making problems on WIN NT (4 ?).

@Gorilla, it would really help when native explanations were available - I used English how t2s - but the one I really understood was by Tiermann - whos has AFAIK the same mother language as me. Currently - I try to find a way how we get a Mozilla-Build environment that we just unpack or install & start.

Guenter

Next time i will set up a remote connection on my computer and you do it ...OK??

Cheers

My favorite forums

Posted by: JujuLand
Date: June 13, 2009 04:29PM

desga2
JujuLand is the installation setup manager, but if he can't fix this I can do it for next versions.

Also is a good idea that K-Meleon setup create an \"install.ini\" file to save the options selected in installation and use this as default options in next update installed over previous installations.

Sorry for my late answer.

I hope and think to have the time needed to modify this point. I don't think it's a great problem.

I don't think it's a good idea to create an install.ini, because I think that the users won't think of or know how to updade the file, and during the future install, some guys could have similar problems.

ndebord
Yes! Definitely! We used to have default in the program's folders, not in Windows sub-folder. I don't recall why it was ever changed.
No, it's better to have default to userdata folder, due to users rights, but I'm ok to think that we must take the already used folder.

For now, I have finished a Linux extension for K-Meleon (or others windows programs perhaps) to allow some things like:

- Launch K-Meleon when clicking on an htm* file.
- Launch K-Meleon when clicking on an URL in a Linux program (Thunderbird, for example)
- Open links with Linux programs instead of having to install Windows programs (pdf, doc, xls, avi, .....)

I'm just finishing now modifications of mail.kmm and cfg.kmm to allow using different mailto functions and to allow using Linux explorer (nautilus for example) instead of the poor wine explorer port with which we can't open kmm files or other extensions without needing to modify the registry.

Except these problems, I have had some crashes and I have had some problems to locate the reasons. I'm not sure having found it, but since the modifications, I have had no more crash.

In fact there where probably 2 reasons :

- a lot of wine updates, and a .wine folder which was probably a little broken.
- a K-Meleon install with wine, but not in the default wine C: folder. I'm not sure for this point, and I will probably test it again.

All of this tests have been made with a standard K-Meleon 1.53 fr-FR setup.

Just a few problems with the toolbars transparency color and a bug with the URL bar are not solved, but, now that I have removed some crashes due probably to the wine config, I'll post bugs about these two last problems.

Tell me if you have found other problems I haven't mentionned.

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2009 04:37PM by JujuLand.

Date: June 13, 2009 05:38PM

JujuLand
I don't think it's a good idea to create an install.ini, because I think that the users won't think of or know how to updade the file, and during the future install, some guys could have similar problems.

User not need modify the install.ini file, but user can change it if like it easily (all windows users know how to change values in ini files). The install.ini file is for be read for K-Meleon installer and known what were the last values selected in previous intallation and set this options values to default in new updated install setup.

Thanks for your work with Wine and linux integration to K-Meleon.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2009 08:23PM by desga2.

Posted by: JujuLand
Date: June 13, 2009 07:56PM

I have look for the setup, and I remember now. I have tried to make the default automatic depending of the presence or not of profile.ini, but I failed to do it.

So the version 1.3.1 (I prepared for 1.1.4) have a page for it, but it has disappeared in version 1.3.4 use for 1.5.0RC and else.

I think it would perhaps be possible to display a warning message advertising about the difference between the actual install and the default value, but I don't think we can do more.

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Date: June 13, 2009 08:34PM

I will tried to implement my install.ini idea in installer to solved this updates problem.

K-Meleon in Spanish

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.