General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
KM freezes even if all options are turned off
Posted by: KMuser9999
Date: November 06, 2009 06:48PM

When trying to view this page:

www.cdbaby.com/cd/edharrison

KM freezes up after about the first keystroke. I turned off feature by feature until nothing was left (in Edit > Preferences). Everything is off... pics, java, js, cache, everthing, but the page (and every page like it on that site) freezes after the first keystroke. KM is the version available this week (11/6/09), and our machines are w98se.

What am I missing that needs to be turned off, so that these pages can be viewed? (Note: we don't need to see pics, or hear audio; we just need to see the text. Text-only option?)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2009 06:49PM by KMuser9999.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: KM freezes even if all options are turned off
Posted by: desga2
Date: November 06, 2009 07:44PM

This web page need JavaScript to work fine.
You don't need changed all preferences to OFF in Edit -> Preferences for an "only text mode". Is better solution if you use the Privacy bar to setting this:
View -> Toolbars -> Privacy Bar

But JavaScript buttons are using images in this site and if you block images you can not see the buttons.

Edit -> Configuration -> Toolbars
Search this: &Privacy Bar(64,13){

Buttons with # at begining of lines are commented buttons that you can uncomment.
For example;
	Animation{
	macros(pref_ToggleAnimation)
	Block Image Animation
	privhot.bmp[0]
	privcold.bmp[0]
	}

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2009 07:48PM by desga2.

Posted by: disrupted
Date: November 06, 2009 09:19PM

i think it can be related to that bug reported by doon: iconcache stall
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?3,60195,page=3

i'll try to test on win98 but it doesn't seem to be happening on all 98 systems
that site also has a favicon so it could be triggering the freeze.

try this.. i'm not sure if it will work with that problem..but it used to work with 98 graphics freeze on some games in my 98

open your display properties and click on the advanced button and fiddle there..really fiddle..things like

graphics adapter troubleshoot:
you should have a slider to decrease hardware acceleration..try decreasing it and see if that has any affect

also sound graphic cards have something called write combining..this is normally good if you have a powerful system but can cause problems fin lower configurations..see if it makes any difference if you disable it.

also if your graphic adapter properties gives you an option to change agp speed..try there..also if you know your way around bios(especially with integrated graphic cards) you should have more options there [speed vs stability] thingies..try those as well

i hope this helps.

Posted by: Yogi
Date: November 06, 2009 10:07PM

JavaScript is needed because of lousy Flash.

The site freezes for me as well (doesn't with Opera) for a few seconds because of an unresponsive script (doesn't with scripting disabled).

Posted by: Mslayer
Date: November 06, 2009 10:37PM

That site freezes my KM too! A dialog appears telling me to stop the script, so I do that, but KM keeps unresponsive anyway.

Posted by: desga2
Date: November 06, 2009 11:41PM

I only see freezes in home/main site: www.cdbaby.com
And the Warning dialog about script timeout is showed in FF2 and KM 1.5.3, but this only frezezes and when I cancel the script the frezezes continue but it response.

This is due to a bad JavaScript used to load Flash objects, is a website bad design problem. If you load the website blocking JavaScript or Flash the web page load fine without freezes.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2009 11:44PM by desga2.

Posted by: KMuser9999
Date: November 07, 2009 12:02AM

Well, all we need from those pages is to be able to click on the Artist's own webpage link, which is under the Links section in the bottom left. Can this be done with text only?

I'm trying to turn JS off... where do you do that?

Posted by: 4td8s
Date: November 07, 2009 03:18AM

desga2
I only see freezes in home/main site: www.cdbaby.com
And the Warning dialog about script timeout is showed in FF2 and KM 1.5.3, but this only frezezes and when I cancel the script the frezezes continue but it response.

This is due to a bad JavaScript used to load Flash objects, is a website bad design problem. If you load the website blocking JavaScript or Flash the web page load fine without freezes.

I suggest contacting the webmaster of the CDBaby.com web site.
Contacts page is here:
http://www.cdbaby.com/Contact
direct your complaints about the "bad" javascript there if that helps.

KMuser9999
Well, all we need from those pages is to be able to click on the Artist's own webpage link, which is under the Links section in the bottom left. Can this be done with text only?

I'm trying to turn JS off... where do you do that?

From the K-meleon Preferences dialog box, of course.
From the menu bar, click on Edit, Preferences, look for JavaScript from the Network/Performance section, then uncheck the box that says Enable Javascript, then click OK to save changes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2009 03:20AM by 4td8s.

Posted by: siria
Date: November 07, 2009 08:56AM

With javascript ON and flash OFF only the entry page stops on my 98se, then a popup says that there's un responsive javascript, asking whether to stop or continue. I said stop, and shortly after the page responded again, although slow. Haven't dared to try with flash yet ;-)

The easiest way to turn ON/OFF all sorts of stuff by simply clicking buttons on a toolbar is enabling the PrivBar - love that one :-)) As desga explained, to show it:

desga2
use the Privacy bar to setting this:
View -> Toolbars -> Privacy Bar

There are more options in the menu version for those toggles:
Tools / Privacy / ...
Highly recommand to block flash, although that block only works (and can be toggled) if javascript is on.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.