K-Meleon on Goanna :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Building K-Meleon on top of the Goanna engine 
Pages: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718...LastNext
Current Page: 13 of 33
Re: [TEST BUILD] K-Meleon 76 on Goanna 3.4.1 (Build 20171223) / weekly-2
Posted by: siria
Date: December 27, 2017 02:20PM

J.G.
I propose also to edit Wikipedia articles to include latest development of K-Meleon Goanna by @Roytam1, mainly to keep updated the history in some way:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K-Meleon
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goanna_(software)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_browser_engines

Good idea, I'd just vote for FIRST updating our own Home/News page here grinning smiley
Just no idea if our devs want to wait a bit longer until more progress.

What would be handy is a complete changelog like this (unfortunately fallen asleep already long ago sad smiley )
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/changelog.txt
Am thinking about possibly creating a wiki page for this (KM-Goanna_first?), just again not sure if it isn't too early yet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2017 02:21PM by siria.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: hermes
Date: December 27, 2017 03:19PM

@roytam1

so GetPlatformBuildID() will use date when KmAppInfo.cpp is compiled.

Do I correctly understand, that in this release (2017/12/23), engine has not been updated
(relatively 2017/12/15), because user-agent gives Goanna/20171215 ?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2017 03:21PM by hermes.

Posted by: roytam1
Date: December 27, 2017 03:39PM

hermes
@roytam1

Do I correctly understand, that in this release (2017/12/23), engine has not been updated

Situation is in reverse: date stamp will be updated IF k-meleon.exe is (re-)compiled.

Engine-only updates will not touch "Goanna/" date stamp.

Date: December 27, 2017 04:03PM

Clearly, thanks for clarification. However, one question, if executable file is stable enough, whether it will turn out that numbering will differ over time?
It may be better to synchronize with date of compilation XUL.DLL (to lessen confusion)?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2017 04:12PM by hermes.

Posted by: J.G.
Date: December 27, 2017 04:43PM

hermes
Clearly, thanks for clarification. However, one question, if executable file is stable enough, whether it will turn out that numbering will differ over time?
It may be better to synchronize with date of compilation XUL.DLL (to lessen confusion)?

I was thinking exactly the same late question. :s
In other words, what is more relevant, KM version or engine version? Bug-fixing numbering perhaps? If engine is updated often, then it should prevail the engine numbering. Or am I missing something? :mad:

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2017 04:49PM by J.G..

Date: December 27, 2017 05:11PM

And in my opinion both matters and should be updated for both ;-)

But also the users should have a chance to see somewhere which version they have exactly (alpha/beta/RC/final), not only which main branch (76.0; and that includes now even the previous main branch on gecko)

Date: December 27, 2017 06:27PM

siria
And in my opinion both matters and should be updated for both ;-)

But also the users should have a chance to see somewhere which version they have exactly (alpha/beta/RC/final), not only which main branch (76.0; and that includes now even the previous main branch on gecko)

Yes you're right. Also the best and fast way to inform new and old users of KMeleon about these big new development efforts by @Roytam and other members is to start a new branch series, like Kmeleon 77 or whatever other numbering method. In fact the topic's title should make reference to 76RC2 because 76 has not been officially released and RC3 won't ever include Gecko anyway.

Furthermore, there is no longer active branch for KM 76RC2 as it was known, and probably there won't be. I meant that KMeleon can't be stuck forever on the '76RC2' number while all these amount of work with the new promising engine is being done. It's nonsense and probably it will make some confusion (over all there are no links at download section for unofficial flavours but they are the only that have active development, a weird situation itself when I recommend KMeleon browser). :s

By the way, @Rodocop is also working to provide major improvements for the promising new future pro-version, so it makes sense again to jump the number of version or at least make clear enough every info the user needs, as you have correctly pointed, because people have right to know which guarantees they have with every new release. The key is just to know asap if there will be a future KMmeleon with NO Goanna engine inside. smiling smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2017 06:30PM by J.G..

Re: [TEST] KM76-Goanna 3.4.1 (Build 20171223)
Date: December 27, 2017 06:45PM

J.G.
The key is just to know asap if there will be a future KMmeleon with NO Goanna engine inside. smiling smiley

Perhaps doesn't matter, because Dorian too has already suggested KM77 for this first Goanna version. If Goanna is not a parallel build line with own name and versioning starting from 1.0 again, there would be no prob to just return to "KM78" for a possible future gecko build again (regardless that this looks rather unlikely at the moment)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2017 06:48PM by siria.

Date: December 27, 2017 06:56PM

siria
J.G.
The key is just to know asap if there will be a future KMmeleon with NO Goanna engine inside. smiling smiley

Perhaps doesn't matter, because Dorian too has already suggested KM77 for this first Goanna version. If Goanna is not a parallel build line with own name and versioning starting from 1.0 again, there would be no prob to just return to "KM78" for a possible future gecko build again (regardless that this looks rather unlikely at the moment)

Thanks for the info, it makes this more clear about future steps. smiling smiley

Date: December 27, 2017 07:01PM

Have no secret new info, just what he posted here at Dec-11 (and left again, sigh):

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?19,143253,143702#msg-143702
Dorian
It's nice to see kmeleon can work with goanna with such litte changes.
The fact that they don't include e10s seems to make this a lot easier.
I would like to see this becoming kmeleon 77(?) if that can keep it alive.

PS: and still sticking with a confusing KM76-version for Goanna perhaps just because there is no final 76-gecko version (yet) also makes not much sense, considering that KM1.6 was abandoned as "beta2" when the gecko engine was updated from equivalent of FF3.5 (KM1.6) to FF3.6 (KM1.7). Then KM1.7 was abandoned as early as "alpha", major pity. With the jump to gecko-24 there came also a matching big jump in versioning, from 1.7 to 74. Engines do matter. The GUI stuff around the engine got hardly any updates ever since KM1.5

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2017 07:15PM by siria.

Date: December 27, 2017 08:41PM

siria
Have no secret new info, just what he posted here at Dec-11 (and left again, sigh):
Dorian
PS: and still sticking with a confusing KM76-version for Goanna perhaps just because there is no final 76-gecko version (yet) also makes not much sense, considering that KM1.6 was abandoned as "beta2" when the gecko engine was updated from equivalent of FF3.5 (KM1.6) to FF3.6 (KM1.7). Then KM1.7 was abandoned as early as "alpha", major pity. With the jump to gecko-24 there came also a matching big jump in versioning, from 1.7 to 74. Engines do matter. The GUI stuff around the engine got hardly any updates ever since KM1.5

Oh, I'm sorry, I missed that post, my bad. sad smiley
I didn't knew Dorian but he seems to be an important member here, so my respect for him and his work. About versioning, my friends are also getting a bit confused because they all are using KM76rc2pro by @Rodocop, and when some of them tasted the new KM-Goanna they expected the good stuff from Rodocop also. I said them that Pro-version-Goanna will be released soon and they asked me if the future version will be official to replace the one they are using. Sometimes I'm confused too because there are some new posts with technical info that I don't understand too much. Yes, probably the plain users need more useful and simple way: download this version and use it, period. tongue sticking out smiley
Sorry for not provide more useful help. sad smiley

Posted by: guenter
Date: December 27, 2017 08:47PM

Pale as the Moon
callahan
I happen to like the weekly updates from roytam1 ... or whenever they might be released. It works for me as I see K-Meleon getting better with each build.

It doesn't seem to be a big deal ... whenever a person downloads an update, they should have the latest good working copy of K-Meleon.

Also, with the weekly updates ... doesn't it make it possible to discover a problem easier and fix it ... instead of having an update every two or three months and having several things to fix or figure out.

I am for weekly or whenever you release a newer build.

Good point, callahan. The only thing I really have a problem with is the ridiculous version inflation. We are inevitably going to lose our overall view. Maybe it would be possible to do weekly builds, but then to condense them into a few main builds (perhaps mirroring the Pale Moon releases)? Would this make sense? Anyway, good point. Didn't think about that.

Du bist schon verwarnt worden und hast dich über eine Sperre hinweg gesetzt. Die Moderatoren beraten gerade, was sie mit dir machen wollen, da du offenbar nicht die Disziplin hast, eine Zeitstrafe anzunehmen.

Offenbar bist du sehr jung. Da ist das schwer.

Du bist auch vor Monaten schon einmal übel aufgefallen.

Wir Moderatoren können dich und alle deine neuen Persona löschen, wenn wir so entscheiden, sobald wir erkennen, dass du wieder da bist.

Willst du das wirklich provozieren?

p.s. Zu deiner Meinung über XP Sicherheit ließ mal hier

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/171814-posready-2009-updates-ported-to-windows-xp-sp3-enu/?page=129

Mal abgesehen davon, dass wir selbst entscheiden und keine IT "Sachverständigen" zur Beratung brauchen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2017 08:49PM by guenter.

Date: December 27, 2017 09:08PM

siria

Dorian

No I think Dorian did more to GUI than I like.

Using old established trade marks has its merits. If Dorian says KM 77 that is great news. New Moon and K-Meleon based on it have a free market for XP. They have a closed market and can poach on Win/+ market too - while Firefox and co cannot poach on theirs.

An engine with two flavour of GUI is just more and better choice for users.

PCs are so good nowadays that I cannot understand why browser vendors abandon OS because RUST is not implemented or anything similar.

p.s. Somehow - raise money for expenses like better hardware for devs maybe by adverts or renting out default search engine position would be a great.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2017 09:14PM by guenter.

Date: December 27, 2017 09:13PM

J.G.
I didn't knew Dorian but he seems to be an important member here, so my respect for him and his work.

This explains very well why you overlooked it - if you thought he's just another member here grinning smiley Actually he's been the only dev and maintainer for KM for many years, someone recently mentioned since ten years or so.

Date: December 27, 2017 09:27PM

J.G.
I didn't knew Dorian but he seems to be an important member here, so my respect for him and his work.

Dorian has been the core dev for ages. Longer than anyone before him.

siria
Actually he's been the only dev and maintainer for KM for many years, someone recently mentioned since ten years or so.

Fairly recently. LOL. I mentioned the 10 years but IMHO two years or so ago. Dorian is official dev since 1.0. And before he build an unofficial 0.8.2+ that was before the official version 0.9. Since then I remember him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2017 09:30PM by guenter.

Posted by: rodocop
Date: December 27, 2017 09:37PM

Wiki says that Dorian saved K-meleon from stagnation in 2003 and was the only leading developer until at least 2016.
And I believe that he will return here to cooperate with roytam1 in 2018. If he will find a motivation and free time.
And - as taught us the lesson of 2010-2013 - his motivation is the fact someone in the World needs K-Meleon in everyday use.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2017 09:38PM by rodocop.

Date: December 27, 2017 10:16PM

Returning to @Roytam1's KMeleon-Goanna, can anyone confirm that HTLM5test gives 400 points for version 17.1223? http://html5test.com/

Posted by: rodocop
Date: December 27, 2017 11:11PM

397 for me but it doesn't have much sense as some parts are deleted from Goanna (like WebRTC for example)

Date: December 28, 2017 03:36AM

roytam1
hermes
@roytam1

Situation is in reverse: date stamp will be updated IF k-meleon.exe is (re-)compiled.

Engine-only updates will not touch "Goanna/" date stamp.

I changed it to read "platform.buildid" pref value first.
If platform.buildid is non-existent or too short, it will fallback to current kmeleon.exe buildid.

Changes are pushed and will available in next build.

Posted by: Anixx
Date: December 28, 2017 05:23AM

Hello! Is it possible to make some fixes to the user inteface?

Particularly, allow the bookmark labels in Netscape-style bookmarks on the bookmarks bar to have zero length? Currently this leads to unintended consequences.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2017 05:24AM by Anixx.

Date: December 28, 2017 06:47AM

Anixx
Hello! Is it possible to make some fixes to the user inteface?

Particularly, allow the bookmark labels in Netscape-style bookmarks on the bookmarks bar to have zero length? Currently this leads to unintended consequences.

Could you please explain it with pictures?
I can't quite understand what the problem is.

Posted by: Anixx
Date: December 28, 2017 05:03PM

I mean allow this:

Currently it leads to this:

That is, a point next to each button. If the length of the label is set to 0, the "three dots" sign should not be shown.

Also, favicon handling in the bookmarks is awful as you can see from the screenshot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2017 05:04PM by Anixx.

Date: December 28, 2017 05:23PM

Before to release the final non-test build, please fix the error shown at preferences, privacy & security first section (while spanish language has been set), if possible. :s

Date: December 28, 2017 07:58PM

J.G.
Before to release the final non-test build, please fix the error shown at preferences, privacy & security first section (while spanish language has been set), if possible. :s

Translations => http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/list.php?20

Re: [TEST BUILD] K-Meleon 76 on Goanna 3.4.1 (Build 20171223)
Posted by: smallhagrid
Date: December 28, 2017 08:38PM

Thanks Roytam1 & All contributors to this marvelous effort !!

Just FYI...referred here from other recent thread(s) so tried this on my nice, plain old XP/SP2 (no POS update, etc...) and it does not even open (after decompressing the 7z) exactly as it has arrived:
roytam1
New regular/weekly KM-Goanna release:
https://o.rthost.win/kmeleon/KM-Goanna-20171223.7z

Changelog:
Out-of-tree change:
* update Goanna3 to git rev 40aa3cc75:
- Stop using a 0-sized array declaration (nonstandard extension) in JitCodeMap. (e3ff6c81d)
- Force arguments object allocation on dynamic name accesses (9e58836ab)
- Fix chrome to not use arrow functions with arguments (c545af1b3)
- Fix arrow function lexical arguments binding, allow rest + arguments (0c2e091dd)
- Fix arrow function lexical arguments binding, allow rest + arguments (follow up - delete: bug889158.js) (85d2f066d)
- Merge pull request #1549 from janekptacijarabaci/js_arrowFunc_arguments_1 (5a27ecadd)
- Use a boolean to control sending of referrer when opening link. (40aa3cc75)
Have yet to try any other release of it...but still hoping it will work on my older XP & be able to do 'normal' stuff a bit better than 75 Pro currently can do.

Addendum:
Just tried KM-Goanna-20171215.7z from here:
https://github.com/roytam1/kmeleon/releases
And it also does nothing when I try opening it on my older XP ??

Best Wishes to All !!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2017 08:50PM by smallhagrid.

Date: December 28, 2017 08:57PM

XP SP2 HOWTO by Hermes and rodocop:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?19,143253,143904#msg-143904
(and some more postings with details)

@hermes/rodocop
Guess this a separate thread would be good?
Which could be linked perhaps from the wiki or download page too?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2017 08:58PM by siria.

Date: December 29, 2017 03:58AM

I tested latest versions of Java, Silverlight, Shockwave Player and FlashPlayer latest with KMeleon-Goanna 17.1223 and everything worked fine like a charm! :cool:
Plugins are the best! tongue sticking out smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2017 03:59AM by J.G..

Posted by: Yogi
Date: December 29, 2017 10:47AM

Is it possible to make the browser getting the value of the general.oscpu.override preference instead of the true platform?
Test
The faked OS in the UA string will be revealed by navigator.oscpu. (with scripting enabled)

Date: December 29, 2017 11:53AM

Yogi
Is it possible to make the browser getting the value of the general.oscpu.override preference instead of the true platform?
Test
The faked OS in the UA string will be revealed by navigator.oscpu. (with scripting enabled)

navigator.appMinorVersion: Property is not supported! navigator.appMinorVersion is not a string. It's a undefined
navigator.oscpu: Windows NT 6.2; WOW64 >> NT 10.0 expected
navigator.securityPolicy: Property is not supported! navigator.securityPolicy is not a string. It's a undefined
:O

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2017 11:54AM by J.G..

Date: December 29, 2017 12:01PM

siria
XP SP2 HOWTO by Hermes and rodocop:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?19,143253,143904#msg-143904
(and some more postings with details)

@hermes/rodocop
Guess this a separate thread would be good?
Which could be linked perhaps from the wiki or download page too?

@siria
I suggest to also on first page of topic (as link). I think, for many people this will be useful. Although maybe and theme. Don't know what's best. Also kit specially at request of a soccerfan
( http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?19,143253,143937#msg-143937 ). Also a useful note about Win2K. If rodocop will find time, perhaps translates here idea of a run 76x line on Win9x platform (I described it on Russian forum 2016/07/16). Also experimentation with minimal configuration to run a KM (on XP) is 28 MB of RAM.

@smallhagrid
If you review conference as a whole, you can find a lot of useful details. For example, how to run it on Win2k. You can also run current browser assembly with any service packs of XP (or without all). Previously I was able to run 76RC in the environment of Win98 (not exactly native, but still).

@Yogi
This can be done using injectJS. In Opera (12.x) this was done with a simple script.
Or in a HEX editor.

Or... more simpler general.oscpu.override as Win32 (as example : )

You can write a simple macro and put a button or combination of keys.

Edited 13 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2017 01:25PM by hermes.

Pages: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718...LastNext
Current Page: 13 of 33

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.