K-Meleon on Goanna :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Building K-Meleon on top of the Goanna engine 
Pages: PreviousFirst...2324252627282930313233Next
Current Page: 28 of 33
Re: [TEST BUILD] K-Meleon 76 on Goanna 3.4.2 (Build 20180714)
Posted by: J.G.
Date: July 14, 2018 11:26AM

@Roytam1 thanks for the latest KMG release! smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: hermes
Date: July 14, 2018 01:34PM

@Yogi

Yogi
@Hermes

According to StatCounter, among Windows versions, WinXP has a market share of 3.78% in Russia. This is more than Win8 has or Linux on desktops.
Whatever those webmasters are driven by, it's not the goal to please their user base.

Moreover, the counters are not always correct, for example, even the view count does not change when I watch a video from YouTube (yes, I use sophisticated traffic filtering). Subjectively, this is proportion of those who do not affect accounting of statistics. The more filtering mechanisms are used, then more often a person drops out of statistics.

In fact, it's interesting that with Goanna I first met on Linux : ) The fact is that when testing any browser I start by viewing its useragent. And if gecko-shaped ones allow (except for latest versions of FF, why did it delete completely it is not clear) do this via about: address request, then others (for example phones) have to be output to clean water by means of a page with the code: (made in time Opera/Presto)

<ScRipT>document.write("USER-AGENT:< BR >"+navigator.userAgent)</ScRipT><NoScRipT>JavaScript &nbsp;• &nbsp;OFF

in < BR > tag needs to remove spaces (forum did not skip this code)

So in one of options, Arch Linux by default used a browser from the experimental branch of Pale Moon called New Moon. Then I first saw the inscription - Goanna. After testing it, I thought it would be good if KM had such an engine ... so I'm just happy smiling smiley thanks to the work done by roytam1 !

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2018 01:49PM by hermes.

Posted by: Anonymous User
Date: July 15, 2018 08:45PM

i tested the ultimate release on windows 2000 with kernel extended(compatibility with winxp apps)run fine, thank you

Posted by: cdlvcdlv
Date: July 26, 2018 10:14AM

Thanks for the new version.

I'd like to create a Windows task to update KMGoanna. I usually overwrite all files and folders from the .7z except kplugins folder (because of modified dlls) and av*.dll (I use the FFmpeg LAV filters). Then I empty every profile startupCache folder. Is this right? I confess I don't understand the "delete browser folder" thing but this way it seems to work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2018 10:14AM by cdlvcdlv.

Date: July 26, 2018 01:44PM

@cdlvcdlv

I'd like to create a Windows task to update KMGoanna. I usually overwrite all files and folders from the .7z except kplugins folder (because of modified dlls) and av*.dll (I use the FFmpeg LAV filters). Then I empty every profile startupCache folder. Is this right? I confess I don't understand the "delete browser folder" thing but this way it seems to work.

As example, You can quite use any scripting language for this purpose (Shell Script, Visual Basic Script, JScript, MS HTA... etc.). You can load files by means of wget or curl (yes, for Windows).

If you use a static set of XPi add-ons, your method is quite reasonable. But when using, for example, different versions of XPi and frequent experiments with them, cleaning parasitic residue in the profile can not be avoided or the subsystem of XPi extensions can be disabled. I can demonstrate on video how easy it is to get XPi subsystem out of order.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2018 02:20PM by hermes.

Posted by: siria
Date: July 26, 2018 04:34PM

cdlvcdlv
I don't understand the "delete browser folder" thing but this way it seems to work.

roytam means delete this sub-folder: "c: \ programs \ k-meleon \ browser \"
(or wherever KM is installed)

But this folder can hold customized user stuff too, especially toolbars.cfg (changed buttons in the default skin, unless a savvy user copied it manually into his current skin folder), or default prefs for macros or global addons, possibly changed global accel.cfg (hotkeys), menus.cfg etc., so I'd strongly recommend to first make a backup too, or rather keep a safety copy of the whole KM-folder as it was before. For awhile, until being sure all works again and all necessary user stuff was copied over.

You've modified the kplugins??

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2018 06:08AM by siria.

Posted by: Yogi
Date: July 27, 2018 05:58AM

cdlvcdlv
I usually overwrite all files and folders from the .7z except kplugins folder (because of modified dlls) and av*.dll (I use the FFmpeg LAV filters).

The LAV-filters are already included in the .7z package.
They are located in K-Meleon's main folder.

Date: July 27, 2018 10:40AM

IMHO a 'progressive update' method is needed for the future KM77, mainly in order to make software friendly and easier for the new users. Anyway, imho again, it should be enough to overwrite only the updated files by @roytam1 to enjoy the newer versions. Easy is good. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2018 10:42AM by J.G..

Date: July 27, 2018 08:54PM

hermes
As example, You can quite use any scripting language for this purpose (Shell Script, Visual Basic Script, JScript, MS HTA... etc.). You can load files by means of wget or curl (yes, for Windows).
I think I'll use a simple .bat and curl to download the .7z. It should verify that K-Meleon is not running etc. but I was not sure of what files should I overwrite hence my question.

siria

But this folder can hold customized user stuff too, especially toolbars.cfg
That's what I supposed so I don't delete it. May I have any problem with that?

siria
You've modified the kplugins??
I use the modified Adblock and gestures below main download. Anyway, the plugins folder never changes (for now).

Yogi
The LAV-filters are already included in the .7z package.
They are located in K-Meleon's main folder.
IIRC they had memory leaks and that's why we have the LAV downloads.

J.G.
... it should be enough to overwrite only the updated files by @roytam1...
I think overwriting is easier to script. If the overwritten file is the same, no hurt done. But maybe I'm missing something.

J.G.
IMHO a 'progressive update' method is needed for the future KM77, mainly in order to make software friendly and easier for the new users.
I couldn't agree more. Friendly and easier doesn't discourage new users.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2018 09:34PM by cdlvcdlv.

Date: July 27, 2018 10:30PM

@cdlvcdlv

Your question is not entirely correct. The answer to him depends on extent of modification of an initial distribution kit by you. It can be one file, or several dozen files. Than stronger the changes, than more variables you need to take into account. Therefore blind automatic updating so loved by many, represents more likely a potential danger than the decision of all problems.
For many people enough only profile(s), skin(s), extension(s). Someone needs to patch DLL(s), and sometimes simple defaults. And a bunch of borderline options. You should also take into consideration the experimental status. Nobody will give you guarantees that you will not have problems in future.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2018 10:32PM by hermes.

Date: July 28, 2018 01:50PM

cdlvcdlv

siria

But this folder can hold customized user stuff too, especially toolbars.cfg
That's what I supposed so I don't delete it. May I have any problem with that?

No one can tell you for sure. Roytam1 is the only programmer among us.
If the author of the package gives an advice then he must have good resons to do so.

Out of curiosity - what modified files have you there, I mean files which can't be placed in the Profiles folder?

Re: [TEST BUILD] K-Meleon 76 on Goanna 3.4.2 (Build 20180616)
Date: August 03, 2018 03:37PM

hermes
@Shiro Naomi

At the moment, nothing special needs to be replaced. This information was published earlier. Thanks to roytam1, current set is completely self-contained (you may need to add only flash plugin if you use it). The set can be picked up on link in this topic above:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?19,143253,146513#msg-146513
Thank you so much for answering me
Forgive me for not following the topic of this discussion but..
What happens if i forget my account name or password?
How do i recover it?

Re: [TEST BUILD] K-Meleon 76 on Goanna 3.4.2 (Build 20180804)
Posted by: roytam1
Date: August 03, 2018 11:32PM

New regular/weekly KM-Goanna release:
https://o.rthost.win/kmeleon/KM-Goanna-20180804.7z

Changelog:

Out-of-tree changes:
* switched Goanna repo to https://github.com/roytam1/palemoon27
* update Goanna3 to git 1e0176c7d...065137b07:
- import changes from tenfourfox: Bug 1397811, Bug 1411458, Bug 1406750, Bug 1347639, Bug 1371908, Bug 1357711 (065137b07)

* Notice: the changelog above may not always applicable to XULRunner code which K-Meleon uses.

Date: August 04, 2018 05:23AM

Thanks @Roytam1 for latest KMG77 version. smiling smiley

Date: August 04, 2018 09:51AM

@roytam1 Thanks! grinning smiley

Posted by: Mello
Date: August 05, 2018 08:00PM

Thank you very much for the updates.

Date: August 06, 2018 12:06AM

@roytam1
Thank You Very Much

Date: August 08, 2018 11:55PM

First things first. Thanks, @roytam1.

Yogi
Out of curiosity - what modified files have you there, I mean files which can't be placed in the Profiles folder?
I have 4 profiles (for me, my wife and my kids) and I add things to adblock.css now and then. Not sure if I changed something more in the past (I use K-Meleon since years).

Yogi
If the author of the package gives an advice then he must have good resons to do so.
I confess being pretty ignorant but I don't understand the need. Anyway, if you unpack overwriting wouldn't it be the same thing?

Posted by: roytam1
Date: August 09, 2018 04:36AM

cdlvcdlv
First things first. Thanks, @roytam1.

Yogi
I have 4 profiles (for me, my wife and my kids) and I add things to adblock.css now and then. Not sure if I changed something more in the past (I use K-Meleon since years).

Yogi
I confess being pretty ignorant but I don't understand the need. Anyway, if you unpack overwriting wouldn't it be the same thing?
leftovers may hurt current installation.

Date: August 09, 2018 06:15AM

cdlvcdlv
I have 4 profiles (for me, my wife and my kids) and I add things to adblock.css now and then.

- Portable distributions are not designed for different user accounts.
While you can have as many profiles as you want, permissions are not restricted to different users.
Normally, one can delete the browser folder before updates and the different profiles won't be affected afterwards.
I say "normally" because I don't know at what degree you have modified the way the browser was designed to work.
- Normally, modifications to adblock.css should be applied in the adblock-folder located in your Profiles folder.
In case of several profiles, separately for each one (modified files can be copied to the respective Profiles).

Date: August 09, 2018 08:11AM

cdlvcdlv
Anyway, if you unpack overwriting wouldn't it be the same thing?

In the case of current weeklies I guess yes. But there can be special cases when updating from a very customized version, which can contain lots more files in there. For example Narumans old KM74 fork (now also used in new KM74-goanna) comes with LOTS of extension files in the KM/browser/components folder. And those files of course don't get overwritten, because the new unzipped KM76/77 doesn't contain a 'newer' version of those, it contains none of those files at all.

cdlvcdlv
I have 4 profiles (for me, my wife and my kids) and I add things to adblock.css now and then.

In the defaults adblock.css?
Does it work from there too?? Have some doubts, but never tried. To my knowledge the folder defaults/profile is only the template folder which gets copied over when a brandnew profile is created, afterwards there's no connection to that folder anymore. Instead the copied file in the user's own profile kicks in. But who knows, if perhaps a user intentionally deletes the one in his own profile, would KM load the one from the defaults folder again...?

Yogi
While you can have as many profiles as you want, permissions are not restricted to different users.

That's news to me too smiling smiley Permissions in prefs.js and permissions.sqlite and other personal stuff are stored in the single profile folders, and working only for those profiles. Only the rare case when someone manually modifies the "default" settings in the defaults folder, or if a macro adds a file there, it can influence all profiles at once. But as soon as a profile user changes any setting himself, in his own profile, then it sticks again in his prefs.js. Which other permissions do you mean?

@cdlvcdlv:
Just a little tip, being a multiprofile user myself I find it very handy to use different skin variants for each. In the most simple case even just a different toolbar color, to see at first look which profile is currently active. In older KM-versions that used to be as easy as creating a new empty skin folder and giving it a variant name in brackets, e.g. "AuraAlpha(xyz)" or "myskin(wood)". Then putting only as few files in there as necessary, and KM would automatically load all missing stuff from the chosen skin's base folder (in this example AuraAlpha or myskin). The new skin variant folder could contain as little as just a different "back.bmp". But am not quite sure anymore how well that still works in newest KM-versions. Did a little test awhile back and guess they needed additionally also a separate toolbars.cfg and skin.js. But not quite sure anymore.

Date: August 09, 2018 09:44AM

siria
Yogi

That's news to me too smiling smiley Permissions in prefs.js and permissions.sqlite and other personal stuff are stored in the single profile folders, and working only for those profiles.

I'm afraid you misunderstood me.
Of course each profile has its own settings.
What I meant is that portable means "single-user environment" no matter how many profiles you have set up. The user can switch between all profiles.
In a multi-user enviroment those profiles are protected.
User_2 can't access the profile of user-1. User-2 can only switch between self created profiles but doesn't have access to profiles belonging to user-1, at least as long as he doesn't gain administrative privileges on OS level.

In the above case there are different profiles for hubby, wife and two children.

Date: August 09, 2018 01:50PM

Yogi
siria
Yogi
- (...)
User_2 can't access the profile of user-1. User-2 can only switch between self created profiles but doesn't have access to profiles belonging to user-1, at least as long as he doesn't gain administrative privileges on OS level.
(...)

Nope. In fact, KMG77 profiles are not protected by password. Single user can delete, add or rename old and new profiles at startup just because there is no password question to login (neither like admin/user). Delete option is always available for any single user which means a LOL. There is no master profile system to ensure and protect user profile modifications one by one neither. IMHO for future versions all profiles should be kept compressed and AES password protected to ensure their respective privacy and also to be protected against deletions. :s

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2018 01:50PM by J.G..

Date: August 09, 2018 03:06PM

J.G.
Nope. In fact, KMG77 profiles are not protected by password...
You have understood nothing. smiling smiley
Who knows, maybe there is a chance by rereading my post?

Date: August 09, 2018 03:50PM

I know this configuration is not suitable in a professional environment but it is for me.

This way I (and they) can, for example, use K-meleon without touching anything if I boot the XP installation (and sometimes old XP saved my life). I use portable programs whenever I can because I ended sick of reconfiguring things in reinstalls/dual boot or just logging in as admin.

Posted by: KM2005
Date: August 09, 2018 05:59PM

Trying to figure out how to do "browser.tabs.loadInBackground" in about:config KM77 like is in FF and NewMoon. Adding it doesn't allow the feature to work, even after reboot. I'm wanting CTRL+left click a link to open tabs in background, not switch immediately from the current tab to the opened tab.

CTRL+right click on a link does what I want too; but, I suspect my mouse isn't very good because it often opens two of the same tabs. This method is not currently functional by default in my FF or NM; but, doesn't matter as the other method CTRL+left click works fine.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2018 07:45PM by KM2005.

Date: August 09, 2018 06:56PM

KM2005
Trying to figure out how to do "browser.tabs.loadInBackground" in about:config KM77 like is in KM75, FF, and NewMoon. Adding it doesn't allow the feature to work, even after reboot. I'm wanting CTRL+left click a link to open tabs in background, not switch immediately from the current tab to the opened tab.

One of the best hidden config secrets in KM:
Edit > Configuration > Commands List (=opens commands.html)
Chapter Mouse Accelerators
=> Click menu Tools > Mouse Accelerators > Firefox

Considering no one finds this, and even if they stumble across that menu accidentally they're just confused, because it doesn't say anything like "use this or that shortcut to open a page in fore- or background", I think since many years "Firefox" shortcuts should be enabled out-of-box.

Posted by: KM2005
Date: August 09, 2018 07:52PM

siria
KM2005
Trying to figure out how to do "browser.tabs.loadInBackground" in about:config KM77 like is in KM75, FF, and NewMoon. Adding it doesn't allow the feature to work, even after reboot. I'm wanting CTRL+left click a link to open tabs in background, not switch immediately from the current tab to the opened tab.

Considering no one finds this, and even if they stumble across that menu accidentally they're just confused, because it doesn't say anything like "use this or that shortcut to open a page in fore- or background", I think since many years "Firefox" shortcuts should be enabled out-of-box.

My mistake about FF mouse "accelerators" being enabled by default in KM75, it wasn't enabled in KM75 either.

I'll be using the left+click a link extensively=you may have fixed my mouse problem too smiling smiley --that is the left mouse button may work better than the right.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2018 08:00PM by KM2005.

Date: August 10, 2018 05:58AM

Yogi
J.G.
Nope. In fact, KMG77 profiles are not protected by password...
You have understood nothing. smiling smiley
Who knows, maybe there is a chance by rereading my post?

It's very difficult sometimes to understand the mess you explain, really.
I agree @siria when she wrote "Only the rare case when someone manually modifies the "default" settings in the defaults folder, or if a macro adds a file there, it can influence all profiles at once. But as soon as a profile user changes any setting himself, in his own profile, then it sticks again in his prefs.js. Which other permissions do you mean?"
That's the point of what I wrote about passwords!

1. Anyway, are Kmeleon profiles password protected? NO.
2. Portable means major improvement or security? NO.
3. Profile management in KMeleon browser is safe? NO.
4. Portable means better profile management? NO.
5. Profiles are protected against delete? NO.
6. Portable means major privacy benefits? NO.
7. Portable means privacy for KMeleon? NO.
8. Profile management ensure privacy? NO.
9. Portable profiles at USB devices? LOL.
10. Are Windows accounts access safe? NO.

The best way to get useful and reliable privacy/safety settings is a Profile Manager that allows some kind of profile protection and compression, with a strong password system for the entire profile content. smiling smiley

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2018 08:21AM by J.G..

Posted by: Carl-Robert
Date: August 10, 2018 08:46AM

siria
KM2005

One of the best hidden config secrets in KM:
Edit > Configuration > Commands List (=opens commands.html)
Chapter Mouse Accelerators
=> Click menu Tools > Mouse Accelerators > Firefox

I personally find the K-Meleon accelerators to be more useful when dealing only with windows and not using tabs. Middle-mouse on a link opens it to a new window to view, which I can then close and get back to e.g. the search results. With Firefox accelerators I'd have to open the things to the background, switch to them and then close them. One extra step to deal with.

With tabs I can see the appeal of background tabs, if want to first open everything on background and then read through them one by one, but with windows it would quickly mean having ran out of taskbar space.

So I wouldn't stress about the default accelerators, they are good for what they were designed for and that is tab-less browsing using only windows. Possibly if want to really confuse users, could have the accelerators change depending if the person has tabs enabled or not.

Pages: PreviousFirst...2324252627282930313233Next
Current Page: 28 of 33

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.