K-Meleon on Goanna :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Building K-Meleon on top of the Goanna engine 
Pages: PreviousFirst...2324252627282930313233Next
Current Page: 31 of 33
Re: [TEST BUILD] K-Meleon 76 on Goanna 3.4.2 (Build 20180825)
Posted by: roytam1
Date: September 14, 2018 01:24PM

*NOTICE*: Since Super Typhoon(Cat. 5) MANGKHUT is moving towards Hong Kong, I put some of binaries in my github in case of power outage that may happen.

https://github.com/roytam1/kmeleon/releases

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: J.G.
Date: September 14, 2018 01:54PM

roytam1
*NOTICE*: Since Super Typhoon(Cat. 5) MANGKHUT is moving towards Hong Kong, I put some of binaries in my github in case of power outage that may happen.

@roytam1 thanks, I hope the adverse weather condition will disappear soon! smiling smiley

Posted by: siria
Date: September 14, 2018 01:59PM

roytam1

http://www.gdacs.org/report.aspx?eventid=1000498&episodeid=30&eventtype=TC

287 km/h!! And lots of islands and ocean...
A power outage would be the least of my fears, and just seeing those monsters from space photos is too much... Hope you stay safe!!!

Posted by: Mello
Date: September 14, 2018 09:22PM

Thank you

I hope Mangkhut slows down enough before it reaches you.

sad smiley Re: At last!!
Posted by: gordon451
Date: September 16, 2018 08:21AM

OK, had some spare time today, so dragged out Dependency Walker.

Error: The Side-by-Side configuration information for "c:\program files (x86)\km-goanna\K-MELEON.EXE" contains errors. The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail (14001).

Error: At least one module has an unresolved import due to a missing export function in an implicitly dependent module.

Error: Modules with different CPU types were found.

Warning: At least one delay-load dependency module was not found.

Warning: At least one module has an unresolved import due to a missing export function in a delay-load dependent module.

It gets worse. Here's the screenshot:

< https://www.dropbox.com/s/scpmqe739w7uf04/KM-G_DependencyScreenshot.png?dl=1 >

KM-G has a real problem. The tree with angry red boxes goes a LONG way down. I may try to get sxstrace working when I get more spare time. I do also suggest that on a Win7x64 box, KM76RC1 should be installed and run, then unzip KM-Goanna Build 20180825 into a new folder in Prgram Files (x86) with a new profile. It may help if the box and Win7 are about 6 years old with all the accumulated rubbish smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2018 08:22AM by gordon451.

Re: sad smiley Re: At last!!
Date: September 16, 2018 12:28PM

gordon451
(...)
KM-G has a real problem. The tree with angry red boxes goes a LONG way down. I may try to get sxstrace working when I get more spare time. (...)

Same results here with 'Dependency Walker', however KMG77 works for me with no problem at all. @hermes also confirmed that KMG worked fine, so I don't understand where is your system failure that makes unusable your KMG77 version. sad smiley

* I bet that Dependency Walker is providing false results for KMG77.
* Both Dependency Walker 32/64bit provide unexpected errors reporting.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2018 04:12PM by J.G..

Date: September 16, 2018 12:43PM

gordon451
OK, had some spare time today, so dragged out Dependency Walker.
Error: The Side-by-Side configuration information for "c:\program files (x86)\km-goanna\K-MELEON.EXE" contains errors. The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail (14001).
(...)

It is quite sure or possible that ' Dependency Walker' is providing you some unexpected false results. No bad messages have been obtained here with MiTeC executable file explorer while reporting all clean data at 'imports' column. Probably everything is secure and fine with KMG77. www.mitec.cz/exe.html :s

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2018 12:45PM by J.G..

Posted by: hermes
Date: September 16, 2018 01:19PM

@gordon451

It may help if the box and Win7 are about 6 years old with all the accumulated rubbish smiling smiley

These are the keywords. On clean (or by default) systems these conflicts do not happen.

On clean Win7 (here x86, but on x64 similarly).

The situation on your OS is typical DLL hell. Side-by-Side conflicts indicate that you are not experimenting with software in a virtual machine. Thus, you can spoil any Windows OS.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2018 01:26PM by hermes.

Posted by: Yogi
Date: September 16, 2018 03:54PM

hermes
Side-by-Side conflicts indicate that you are not experimenting with software in a virtual machine.

I'd assume that Gordon is using Dependency Walker 64-bit for 32-bit K-Meleon.
If so then it's very likely to get such a weird result.

Date: September 16, 2018 05:21PM

So now I've spent 4 hours rummaging through Windows and my install DVD. The 6 API-MS-* files are a red herring, they do not happen in Win7 Home Premium, but they may happen in higher editions or even in Win8+. So we don't ever have to worry about them. The dcomp.dll and ieshims.dll are a problem but, however I'm not too worried about them.

And yes, using a 64-bit app to analyse a 32-bit app is really dumb. Almost as stupid as using 32-bit softs on a 64-bit machine?

J.G.
... I don't understand where is your system failure that makes unusable your KMG77 version. sad smiley

* I bet that Dependency Walker is providing false results for KMG77.
* Both Dependency Walker 32/64bit provide unexpected errors reporting.

1. KM-Goanna is not unuseable, I never said it was.
2. My system failure? Get real. A "system failure" makes the entire box unuseable.
3. Yes, Dependency Walker is very thorough. That's why people use it. And the reports are never false, only unexpected.

I only have one box, my work and recreation do not permit the luxury of one box for each app, so my box is loaded with all sorts of rubbish--and a very high production rate. I simply don't have time to faff around with VMs and sandboxes like some under-employed people.

Getting back to the original beef. Side-by-side conflicts are the direct result of improper manifest preparation, and this seems to have happened inside the Goanna engine, probably in Moonchild's studio. I can't think of any reason roytam1 would have wanted to mess with them. These conflicts do have the potential to make things work oddly, it means the wrong bitness could be used where it may be least wanted. There is a reason all OS's require such mechanisms.

K-Meleon itself was never designed for 64-bit, but it did use 64-bit Gecko, and the same problem happened back in 2014, which took Dorian about 10 minutes to fix. I suspect roytam1 will be able to fix this one in about the same time-frame once he emerges from the typhoon.

Posted by: Yogi
Date: September 16, 2018 06:10PM

@gordon451
Since your Win7 64-bit has support for 32-bit software it's not at all stupid to use 32-bit software.
Firefox was first available as 32-bit software. Suppport for 64-bit was added later and since it is available as 32-bit and 64-bit.

BTW, what is a 64-bit Gecko?

Date: September 16, 2018 08:34PM

As I said in my last post, MiTeC software reports everything is working fine with KMG77. Anyway, KMeleon Goanna has been working fine for me from the very first release, and some other users have never complained about such kind of OS issues. At least I don't remember to read about them, sorry if I am wrong. @gordon451 have you tested kmeleon.exe with MiTeC? :O

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2018 08:35PM by J.G..

Date: September 16, 2018 10:11PM

@gordon451

I simply don't have time to faff around with VMs and sandboxes like some under-employed people.

You must have confused something. Virtual machines are not used to show off. On contrary, as a simple, quick and flexible tool to simplify and reduce the cost of testing and other tasks associated with the software. Usually they are not used only because lack of PC resources (but you have i5).

Almost as stupid as using 32-bit softs on a 64-bit machine?

It should also be noted that when running 32-bit versions of software on 64-bit systems of Windows family, 32-bit applications will run slightly slower, because of WOW64 subsystem emulating 32-bit environment. On average, loss for programs due to this layer of WoW64 will be 2-3%, although in some cases this value can be to ~5%. So there is no point in ignoring Win32.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2018 10:25PM by hermes.

Posted by: anonymous
Date: September 16, 2018 10:42PM

gordon451
... ieshims.dll are a problem but, however ...
K-Meleon doesn't use it. Add Internet Explorer path to windows environment path and reboot to tell Dependency Walker where to find it.

sad smiley Re: At last!!
Date: September 17, 2018 03:21AM

Yogi
BTW, what is a 64-bit Gecko?

I was going to say "a Komodo Dragon", but that's not in the Gekkota family... We'll make do with the kawekaweau, New Zealand, extinct sad smiley Seriously, I imagine it might be the x64 version of the rendering engine?

@J.G. - No. I do have PE Studio and a couple of similar tools, but I am not into system coding so anything more exotic is pretty much useless to me. However, I know enough to understand that Side-by-Side errors are in the same family as a loose gear-shift assembly in a car or truck: the vehicle can be driven, and the owner thinks that the reason new drivers have trouble is their incompetence. The reality is of course, that eventually the gearbox will select the wrong gear at the worst possible time, like reverse when you need a low forward gear at 35mph... I did have a dekko at MiTeC, but meh.

@anonymous - Thanks for that. I was pretty sure it is IE-related, but it keeps turning up as a needed library item in all sorts of system software. I'm not surprised, since the greater part of IE is actually used in the system GUI, which explains why IE loads up so quick. There's a reason the Windows file manager is called Windows Explorer tongue sticking out smiley

Date: September 17, 2018 09:26AM

roytam1

Just to say I'm fine as well as my web server.

Date: September 17, 2018 09:36AM

roytam1
roytam1
github.com/roytam1/kmeleon/releases
Just to say I'm fine as well as my web server.

Glad to hear some good news! Welcome back! smiling smiley

Date: September 17, 2018 09:56AM

@gordon451
www.dependencywalker.com/faq.html
"Many dependencies are loaded dynamically and will not be detected until you profile the application from within Dependency Walker."

www.dependencywalker.com/help/html/interpreting_errors.htm
"Dependency Walker always logs second chance exceptions and can optionally log first chance exceptions. Many applications routinely generate first chance exceptions and handle them. This is not a sign of a bad application since there are many legitimate reasons to generate first chance exceptions and handle them."

stackoverflow.com/questions/36240215/dependency-walker-missing-dlls
"These are API-sets - essentially, an extra level of call indirection introduced gradually since windows 7. Dependency walker development seemingly halted long before that, and it can't handle API sets properly."

social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/azure/en-US/98e293d1-cd71-47d2-96e9-7f8563be6c8f/cannot-find-dependencies-of-my-applications-dependsexe-describes-problems?forum=vcgeneral
"That is a dependency walker session for dependency walker itself. Notice the interesting contradiction in that? Dependency walker is saying that it is missing libraries needed to run, yet it is able to run to say that it is missing those libraries. The best test to see if an application has all of its dependencies is to try to run it. If it runs then Windows is able to find all of them. If it doesn't then check dependency walker, but you should ignore anything starting with api-ms, ext-ms, and any errors for the libraries devicelockhelpers.dll, emclient.dll, shcore.dll shlwapi.dll and ieframe.dll.
API sets were introduced during the Windows 8.1 period, so those libraries don't actually exist on the system and Windows will redirect automatically. Since dependency walker was never updated for that, then dependency walker will always report those as false positives. So basically, the application running is the first thing you should believe, Windows is working properly even with "missing" libraries."

Date: September 17, 2018 12:01PM

@J.G. - I wondered where those API-* files came from. That must have been the '10 and '12 redistributables, then the '17 the other day. I never got the '13 and '15 packs, which may explain the missing API-*

Oh well. I have plenty of disk space, so a bit of flotsam won't hurt smiling smiley

Date: September 17, 2018 03:13PM

gordon451
@J.G. - I wondered where those API-* files came from. That must have been the '10 and '12 redistributables, then the '17 the other day. I never got the '13 and '15 packs, which may explain the missing API-*
Oh well. I have plenty of disk space, so a bit of flotsam won't hurt smiling smiley

I think that '17 is a replacement because '15 is uninstalled previously. :s

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2018 03:34PM by J.G..

Date: September 17, 2018 03:51PM

I do appreciate that site, but it's the dev resource, and they want you to start accounts with at least two M$ sites... The one you want is Autodesk Knowledge Network, which gets you to free downloads with no questions asked.

I've just spent a happy time uninstalling and replacing with the latest Service Packs (which I never knew existed!) and Updates. Ummmm. Careful when you uninstall vcredist 2005 on Win7, it looks as though Win7 needs that to supervise language choice in some dialogs--it replaced English in Segoe UA font with Chinese in some unknown font, and changed the font used in "Programs and Features". And back again as I installed the x64 and x86 editions.

For some reason my Win7 only had one 2005 vcredist, not two. I don't recall installing that as a download (I would have kept the download), I think it came included on the DVD. But it's an OEM, so the shop may well have installed it alongside the OS.

And vcredist 2015 would not install until I removed 2017!

Did you see the footage of the hotel in Honkers imploding when the storm surge hit? I could not believe they only had single-sheet glass in the windows :O They'd have been good if they'd had laminated glass :cool:

EDIT: while I was fact-checking, you were editing... Win7 did not uninstall 2015 when I replaced 2017. :s

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2018 03:59PM by gordon451.

Date: September 17, 2018 04:23PM

@gordon451
I installed all C++ in a row with an AIO package.
For W10 '15 is not needed as long '17 replaces it.
www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/visual_c_runtime_installer.html
More complete package: wilenty.org/aio-runtime-libraries/
smiling smiley

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2018 09:23PM by J.G..

Posted by: Shiro Naomi
Date: September 19, 2018 10:56PM
Date: September 20, 2018 02:45AM

KM76G will still be updated (by porting tenfourfox fixes), just in a less frequent style while I'm busy because of aftermath of typhoon right now.

and files are the same.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2018 02:45AM by roytam1.

Date: September 20, 2018 03:59AM

roytam1
KM76G will still be updated (by porting tenfourfox fixes), just in a less frequent style while I'm busy because of aftermath of typhoon right now.

Hi roytam1 - will that cover the Side-by-Side errors I noted in page 30? As I noted, we had to fix it in 2014, see this bug. It really is a ¿simple? manifest error, I'm pretty sure it's in the Goanna engine.

FWIW, I have updated all my vcredists.

Date: September 20, 2018 02:54PM

CCleaner 5.46 stops KMG77 as it thinks it's Firefox instance running! :O
* version 5.47 also has same behaviour!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2018 05:59PM by J.G..

Date: September 22, 2018 12:55PM

J.G.
CCleaner 5.46 stops KMG77 as it thinks it's Firefox instance running! :O

I'm waiting for one of these softs to format C: because it found Windows grinning smiley

Date: September 22, 2018 04:18PM

gordon451
roytam1

Hi roytam1 - will that cover the Side-by-Side errors I noted in page 30? As I noted, we had to fix it in 2014, see this bug. It really is a ¿simple? manifest error, I'm pretty sure it's in the Goanna engine.

FWIW, I have updated all my vcredists.

try redownloading KM-Goanna-20180825.7z and replace all EXE files to see if problem persist or not.

Date: September 23, 2018 03:49AM

roytam1
try redownloading KM-Goanna-20180825.7z and replace all EXE files to see if problem persist or not.

Thanks for that roytam1. It was the k-meleon.exe file. All fixed--well, it's not showing the error now smiling smiley

I trust the damage in HK wasn't too bad?

Date: October 06, 2018 12:31PM

@roytam1

Is there any prospect of KM emergence on Goanna/4.x engine?

Pages: PreviousFirst...2324252627282930313233Next
Current Page: 31 of 33

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.