Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Documentation / extensions
Posted by: JujuLand
Date: November 02, 2014 02:49PM

I prefer to put it in a separate folder, as I give the source with the tool, to allow someone who wants to modify or improve it to do it.

I remember, there is a long time, I created a subfolder of Kmroot named Tools and not kmtools.

But in fact, as I said the folder is not important, only the good path in mimetypes.rdf is important.

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: gordon451
Date: November 03, 2014 10:38AM

JujuLand
But in fact, as I said the folder is not important, only the good path in mimetypes.rdf is important.

A+

OK, K-Meleon-root. The drive is up to the user.

Gordon.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: November 03, 2014 09:36PM

@ Gordon,

If a user has, or plans to have multiple profiles, then the tool or kmtools folder should be somewhere such that every profile can obtain the path to the tools folder. Usually items in the tools folder need only to be executed. That means the location does not have give write access to every user.

I use only a single profile, but because I post some extensions, I always put tools in the root folder.

I usually put my KM root folder, uniquely named, in Program Files. It is just easier to keep track of them there. I do have some old versions of KM on an external drive. When I plug in that drive they show up on E:\. I have my computer setup such that I can write to C:\Program Files. Most people don't do that. That is why the standard install puts the profile(s) in AppData.

Because sometimes, I wish to discard a KM version, I opt for the custom install and include the profile with the program in the Program Files folder. That way I don't have to scramble around to find which folder in AppData to delete. I also have the option to move the entire KM to the E: drive by just moving one folder.

A location for tools does no even need to be within KM. It is just very much easier for a macro to find the necessary file it has a defined starting point such as KM's root. Macros can find all these folders no matter where you installed your KM.

$PATH = getfolder( FOLDER_TYPE );                                     

Returns the path of the specified folder.

FOLDER_TYPE = RootFolder | SettingsFolder | ProfileFolder |
              ResFolder | SkinFolder | MacroFolder | UserMacroFolder

Posted by: siria
Date: November 03, 2014 09:48PM

Hm.... I have some vague memory that getfolder(RootFolder) in KM74 points to KM/browser, but not sure anymore... Was there a way to "step up" from there again?

Other "usual" custom folders are also "scripts" (javascript) and "styles" (css), of course also in kmroot.

The skins/default folder is very important and needs exactly this name to work.

The folder kmroot/kmextensions is for the ini-info files of macros prepared for the kmext-installer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2014 09:49PM by siria.

Date: November 04, 2014 12:45AM

I have used all of the locations except SettingsFolder.

From restart.kmm
$_tool_path=getfolder(RootFolder)."\\Tools";
$_km_path=getfolder(RootFolder)."\\k-meleon.exe";
$_profile_path=getfolder(ProfileFolder);
exec($_tool_path."\\restartkm.exe \"".$_km_path."\" \"".$_profile_path."\"");

From note4me.kmm
$_Note4me_Path=getfolder(RootFolder)."\\Tools\\Note4me.exe";
$_Note4me_File_Path=getfolder( ProfileFolder)."\\Note4me.txt";
exec("\"".$_Note4me_Path."\" \"".$_Note4me_File_Path."\"") ;

From localdocs74.kmm (res becomes root\browser\res}
$_localdocs_res = getfolder( ResFolder );
$OpenURL="file:///" .$_localdocs_res . "/localdocs/cookiemanagement.htm";
&OpenURL_InNew;

I put note4me in Tools because I found restart there. Early on in the development of KM 74, I had problems finding a place for local documents. On day, I just decided to see where ResFolder was located. I don't think the res folder in Root\browser even existed until I put it into localdocs74 7-Zip file.

Date: November 04, 2014 10:39AM

Hi, JamesD and Siria,

if you're talking about folders, for the km-open tool, don't forget it's only for Linux users.

A few cases to see:

1) The user is alone
   a) C:\Program Files\kmtools : better, as it's a separate tool, and can later be use
      with multi-profile or multi-Km versions, but avoid multi-user
   b) kmroot : only for mono-user, avoid multi-kmeleon, and don't give more
      than previous. remember that km-open is not used in a macro, just by k-meleon.
2) more than one user :
   a) same as 1 : but needs to install K-Meleon and km-open for all the 
      users ... stupid.
   b) E:\Program Files\kmtools : the better solution, but need in sudo mode to create a
      folder in /opt, modify the owner/group, and the rights of the folder, link the folder
      to E: and then install in it (it's not really difficult, and need to be made just one
      time. After, it's transparent ...
So, I think the only reasonnable locations are as K-Meleon location:

1) C:\Program Files\kmtools
2) E:\Program Files\kmtools

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2014 11:00AM by JujuLand.

Date: November 04, 2014 11:01AM

JujuLand
A few cases to see:

1) C:\Program Files\kmtools
2) E:\Program Files\kmtools

A+

Very clear explanation, the word "lucid" would be appropriate. Will fix ASAP.

Gordon.

Date: November 04, 2014 11:08AM

JujuLand
if you're talking about folders, for the km-open tool, don't forget it's only for Linux users.

I think we are speaking of different things. I don't have a Linux yet. The system of which I am describing is to "close and re-open KM upon the click of a button which the system builds.

In any case how would the system writer put C:\Program Files or E:\Program files into a 7-zip for distribution? I cannot know from where the user will run KM. Therefore I have to put all the pieces in places relative to root.

Date: November 04, 2014 12:12PM

Hi, JamesD

In the case you're talking, it's even that a good location is under km rootfolder.
Would-it be in rootfolder or in rootfolder\tools ?

I think that rootfolder has already enough files, and it as also easy to access in tools...

JamesD
In any case how would the system writer put C:\Program Files or E:\Program files into a 7-zip for distribution? I cannot know from where the user will run KM. Therefore I have to put all the pieces in places relative to root.
What you're wanting to say, it's only in case of a manual install extract of a 7zip file. For the tool I was talking, under Linux, I hope it will be integrated in the setup, and in this case, it won't be difficult for the setup to keep the K-Meleon location, and to generate the kmtools location...

And I say again, it's only for Linux users ... so it will concern a little number of persons, and often population with more knowledges of what is a system ...tongue sticking out smiley

A+

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2014 12:20PM by JujuLand.

Date: November 05, 2014 02:07PM

JujuLand
Would-it be in rootfolder or in rootfolder\tools ?

I put binary files such as note4me.exe into tools folder which is a subfolder of the root.

COMMENT	Computer: JIM-PC
COMMENT	User: Jim
COMMENT	Prepared: 08:54 11/5/2014
COMMENT	Folder: C:\Program Files\K-Meleon7431\
COMMENT	Include Sub-Folders? No
COMMENT	
FOLDER	K-Meleon7431
FOLDER	browser
FOLDER	defaults
FOLDER	kplugins
FOLDER	locales
FOLDER	macros
FOLDER	Profiles
FOLDER	skins
FOLDER	tools
FOLDER	webapprt

The folder "tools" contains the following:
FILE	dlock2.exe	exe
FILE	Note4me.au3	au3
FILE	Note4me.exe	exe
FILE	restartkm.au3	au3
FILE	restartkm.exe	exe
FILE	restartkm.txt	txt

Date: November 05, 2014 09:42PM

I agree ...

A+

Date: November 07, 2014 09:01AM

Hi Gordon, just noticed you're extremely busy with the wiki currently, changing the breadcrumb headlines to all point to the welcome page and overall modifying a bit headline looks and link styling.
Unfortunately this makes outdated pages now look like new and up-to-date ones with a brandnew editing date sad smiley For example the Search Engines page had the last edit in 2008, before you merely redirected the breadcrumb link to point to the welcome page. But it's the outdated wiki *content* that badly needs updating, not just the date and the "look" of the headlines.

And not sure if you're aware that the Home Page is automatically composed of various extracts from other pages? There may be a few other pages auto-composed pages too.
For example on the home page your breadcrumb editing inserted now a sub-title under "Latest News", and in the "more information" chapter on the homepage there is now a lone "welcome" line in the middle.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2014 09:50AM by siria.

Date: November 08, 2014 05:22AM

siria
Hi Gordon, just noticed you're extremely busy with the wiki currently...

And not sure if you're aware that the Home Page is automatically composed of various extracts from other pages? There may be a few other pages auto-composed pages too.

I was feeling rather like Hansel and Gretel. Lost and confused in the Forest. (I'm not sure about the original folk-tale, but I'm very sure it was Gretel rather than Hansel who thought up the pebbles and bread-crumbs trick smiling smiley I wouldn't have thought about the birds either!)

Part of the problem is the out-dated content, and that will not be so easy to fix, as we discussed above.

But the "auto-composed" pages I did not know about, it is not obvious in the edit panel. That will make life complicated. You maybe noticed I touched the "KMeleonWiki" page up a bit, the theme in the wiki was making it very hard to see quickly what was a link, especially the grey colour on the visited links. However, I have made sure that no pre-existing knowledge (as opposed to text) has been lost.

I'm trying to get a map in my head of what is where, I can't say the extensive content goes around in circles, but finding relevant information is certainly less easy than it ought to be.

Gordon.

Posted by: guenter
Date: November 08, 2014 04:22PM

gordon451
I was feeling rather like Hansel and Gretel. Lost and confused in the Forest.

So am I. Can You please check the English of this.

http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/Resources?thankyou=1#line64

A Short History of Firefox Add-ons with K-Meleon

to http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/Resources?thankyou=1#line68

The Advent of Firefox Add-ons for K-Meleon 74

Thank You in advance for Your efforts.

Date: November 08, 2014 11:42PM

Hi guenter -

I've had a look at your work, the touched-up file is in https://www.dropbox.com/s/eq7uoqam904ja57/KmResources.txt?dl=0.

I noticed you have made all the folder refs as *nix, I didn't fix anything like that, I stayed with English syntax and grammar. (I always found German and French much easier at school than my native English grinning smiley But that was on a different planet smiling smiley and too long ago.) I also took the liberty of "improving" the XML layout in the install.rdf snippet.

Gordon.

Date: November 09, 2014 02:21PM

gordon451
Part of the problem is the out-dated content, and that will not be so easy to fix, as we discussed above.

That is the huge #1 prob of the wiki, and it gets really much worse if anyone adds to badly outdated content a new date.

Redirecting all navigation links to the welcome page (whether that makes much sense is another question) is definitley not worth messing the date for clueless users. And no need at all, since if anyone wants to get to the welcome page, they can very simply do so by clicking the link in the green bar, from every page.

Regarding the addons info, that's great, and necessary. But also so much, that IMO that would deserve to get an own page instead of beeing squeezed into resources too. Perhaps "Addons" or AddonsXpi or AddonsFF or...

In the resources page I'd find it important to put the links to macro archives and skin archives more prominently. They are very easy to overlook, and nearly all articles on the web out there give the impression that KM didn't offer any other skins or extensions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2014 02:26PM by siria.

Date: November 09, 2014 03:21PM

Thank You Gordon. Why dropbox when You can overwrite my wiki text? Gordon, I am afraid my English has become really bad. I studied English at the Universities of Victoria BC and Hanover. Not just masters but 4 years. I have forgotten all. grinning smiley

siria. If You think that Your solution is good just scavange my text for a dedicated page or better get Gordons's from the drop box page. And later delete my text. Thank You in adavance for all Your efforts.

I will probably start a passage about compiling a current GRE update with VC 10 next week. I have already set all up, compiled it with success and only need the patience to write a description. It has become real simple over the years.

Date: November 09, 2014 04:10PM

You are the author, you should be the poster too smiling smiley
At least for the very first version.

And am rather unsure how to best name it.
Will the page be exclusively for how to transfer FF-addons?
Or about xpi-addons in general, incl. possibly future original KM ones?

Date: November 09, 2014 11:15PM

guenter
Thank You Gordon. Why dropbox when You can overwrite my wiki text?

I agree with what I think siria meant: you're the author.

Actually your English is quite good. We all think we won't forget a language, but they really are use-it-or-lose-it sad smiley I used to read Paris-Match for fun, and Theodore Storm. Now...

On your project, if I understand you, please make sure you compile on a late-ish x64 box, W7 or better. I am very sure my current problems with 74-24 come from compiling on an older (XP/Vista) box. Of course I am assuming that all compilers are equal :O which in itself may be a mistake.

Gordon.

Date: November 10, 2014 09:16PM

siria
You are the author, you should be the poster too smiling smiley
At least for the very first version.

And am rather unsure how to best name it.
Will the page be exclusively for how to transfer FF-addons?
Or about xpi-addons in general, incl. possibly future original KM ones?

No. Wiki is community work - I made no © notice. & I granted the right to You expressis verbis.

AFAIR. There are already XPI versions that only exist for us and not at addons Mozilla.

So it is about K-Meleon XUL add-ons past and present. K-Meleon user-devs like MonkeeSage had a local installer add-on going just after the Firefox project started, the Mtypes 0.1 http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,14099
and some more. Mtypes was made from SeaMonky/Mozilla XUL code by Ben Goodger.

That is why I started with the past. Then comes the present. A description about how we do now. When Dorian, naruman and perhaps future contributors have going more we will write a sequel or many. That is why I put a year stamp into the current state of affairs. Later it is IMHO best to put the newest, current state above the recent past. Like in a versions text. Like I did here: http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/BuildKMeleonDistribution grinning smiley

p.s. The past adaption and creation of XUL addons always suffered from K-Meleon embed.jar's rather limited XUL support.

K-Meleon project also suffered from constant brain drain. It is a rather new development that the comrades that go Linux do not abandon the Windows only program K-Meleon and this comunity as well.

gordon451
guenter
Thank You Gordon. Why dropbox when You can overwrite my wiki text?

I agree with what I think siria meant: you're the author.

Actually your English is quite good. We all think we won't forget a language, but they really are use-it-or-lose-it sad smiley I used to read Paris-Match for fun, and Theodore Storm. Now...

On your project, if I understand you, please make sure you compile on a late-ish x64 box, W7 or better. I am very sure my current problems with 74-24 come from compiling on an older (XP/Vista) box. Of course I am assuming that all compilers are equal :O which in itself may be a mistake.

I rarely agree with her. tongue sticking out smiley

I started to learn English at 10 YO and continued for the next 20 or so years.
You do not lose all and I not so much because both are West Germanic languages. But yes. I lost all my French which I also started that early.

Dorian AFAIK compiles on a new Windows. You must if You have to install new SDK.sad smiley
No I think that some problems come from the change to a new compiler and the new Win 8 SDKs. But he cannot do it differently. Soon the move to VC 12 will come with problems for older K-Meleon code and yet more for users of legacy OS like Win 2000.

While I mostly use XP I compile for XP. tongue sticking out smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2014 09:37PM by guenter.

Date: November 10, 2014 11:08PM

It's not about copyright. Not everything that is allowed necessarily makes sense just because it's allowed!
Ehre wem Ehre gebührt, und außerdem: I for one prefer to have an idea about the source of things. For example when I come across a complicated wiki article posted by kko, jsnj, dorian that has a completely different weight as if posted by someone unknown to me or known as a newbie. Or if a win98 user with KM1.6 would post an elaborate article about xpi-addons on KM74 - haha. If an author wouldn't be able to post it himself for some real reason, that's another thing, but you can post just as well as me. Unless you're not ready to stand behind your own text.

Anyway, after finally reading through the resources text, methinks this should rather be a forum thread instead of a wiki article, considering the experimental state. At any rate it's way too long for the resources links page.

Now riddling even more about a possible new wiki page name. Perhaps AddonsSupport?? ...Development? ...Transfer? ...Building? History? Study? Exp? Xul? Xpi? AddonsMozilla?

Just make sure, before creating a new page, that your current wiki language is set to english, or the locale tag is already appended and can't be deleted anymore (speaking from experience :-/)

About foreign languages, the funny thing is how much the learning age matters. After a long, long break I started refreshing my bit school english, and the vocabulary was just sleeping right below the surface. Out of nowhere some long since completely forgotten stuff would suddenly resurface again, couldn't believe it. But learning really NEW words, ouff. A real pain, and so quickly forgotten again sad smiley Just no roots. Our brain is just wired that way that we learn best what our age typically requires most, and for languages we're programmed to learn them best as little kids.

Date: November 11, 2014 06:54AM

How about page name and captions:

!!! Firefox Add-ons for K-Meleon

!!A Short History of Firefox Style Add-ons with K-Meleon?...

Anyway. I did You bidding and removed the section from the wiki.

You have to ponder no longer. Neither will I. Urgent private business.

BTW. I scavanged my forum posts to write it. Obviously it was not even known to forum regulars like You that it was in forum already.

Matter? Never mind. Mind? No matter. tongue sticking out smiley

p.s. Learning new words. Fester or Vester?, Denken Lernen und Vergessen, ging davon aus, dass man in 2^n Sekunden die Hälfte dessen vergißt, was man grad gelernt hat. Und dass die Wiederholung es für 2^n Sekunden festigt.

Der Lehrer spricht die Vokabel in einem Satz...hält den Gegenstand hoch, wir sollen ihn nachsprechen. Gegen Ende der Stunde wird sie nochmal kurz angesprochen. Die Hausaufgabe ist... Nach ein paar Wochen wird alles wiederholt. Usw. Du kommst sehr schnell auf Monate und Jahre.

Was allerdingt noch nicht erklärt, warum man manches gleich und für immer behält.

Er ging davon aus, dass alles Lernen Haken befestiegt mit denen man etwas verknüpfen kann und so auch größere Brocken lernen und etwas gleich behalten kann, da sie an etwas anknüpfen. Das festigt unter anderem Altes und Neues und gibt ihm mehr Relevanz. Ob diese Meinung noch ist und ob ich das richtig erinnere?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2014 07:47AM by guenter.

Date: November 15, 2014 11:42AM

Just came across this comprehensive description of the various profile paths in different systems. No idea if that's of any use here, but just in case:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Firefox

One interesting thing is that the FF profiles parent folder is hidden by default.

Or a much shorter version:
www.askvg.com/list-of-files-that-can-be-hacked-to-configure-firefox

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2014 12:12PM by siria.

Date: November 27, 2014 07:41PM

@gordon
Spammer sitebee on wiki welcome page. Aside from adding 2 spam links at the bottom he also messed something around with the KM wiki links, to disguise from the spam, but cannot tell 100% sure if that's any good or not. Since you've changed that page lately and know it much better I'd prefer you to reset or adjust it ;-)

@mods: take a look, perhaps block

Date: April 09, 2015 01:22AM

I have put into the wiki sandbox a possible update for the wiki Command IDs.

http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/SandBox

The current wiki command IDs page is here:
http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/CommandIDs

The format is generally complete. I do need some help on the descriptions for six of the newest items. While I have a general idea of what each of the six do, this documentation needs to be exact.

Please post the descriptions in this thread, if you have them.

%%% #[JavaScriptControls]
!~JavaScript Controls  

* [ navDisableJS  id = ID_DISABLE_JS | #navDisableJS ]
* [ navEnableJS  id = ID_ENABLE_JS | #navEnableJS ]
* [ navToggleJS  id = ID_TOGGLE_JS | #navToggleJS ]
* [ pageDisableJS  id = ID_PAGE_DISABLE_JS | #pageDisableJS ]
* [ pageEnableJS  id = ID_PAGE_ENABLE_JS | #pageEnableJS ]
* [ pageToggleJS  id = ID_PAGE_TOGGLE_JS | #pageToggleJS ]

Please treat this like a release candidate version and report any format errors, miss-matched anchor/targets, or any other items.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2015 01:23PM by JamesD.

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: April 09, 2015 03:22PM

%%% #[JavaScriptControls]
!~JavaScript Controls  

* [ navDisableJS  id = ID_DISABLE_JS | #navDisableJS ] --> Disable JavaScript execution globally in all Windows and Tabs
* [ navEnableJS  id = ID_ENABLE_JS | #navEnableJS ] --> Enable JavaScript execution globally in all Windows and Tabs
* [ navToggleJS  id = ID_TOGGLE_JS | #navToggleJS ] --> I didn't know this existed confused smiley but, obiously it is for easy toggle the above

* [ pageDisableJS  id = ID_PAGE_DISABLE_JS | #pageDisableJS ]  --> Disable JavaScript execution in the page of the current Window or Tab you are viewing
* [ pageEnableJS  id = ID_PAGE_ENABLE_JS | #pageEnableJS ]  --> Enable JavaScript execution in the page of the current Window or Tab you are viewing
* [ pageToggleJS  id = ID_PAGE_TOGGLE_JS | #pageToggleJS ] --> I didn't know this existed confused smiley but, obiously it is for easy toggle the above

Date: April 09, 2015 08:23PM

@ JohnHell

OK, that is what I thought. Is there any need to mention that they also change the js enabled pref?

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: April 09, 2015 09:32PM

JamesD
@ JohnHell

OK, that is what I thought. Is there any need to mention that they also change the js enabled pref?

The 2 firsts, the nav* commands, do, but the page*, don't.

Date: April 09, 2015 11:43PM

JohnHell
The 2 firsts, the nav* commands, do, but the page*, don't.

Thanks, I was unsure about the three for page.

I think that I will include this information.

Date: April 12, 2015 06:55PM

The updated page for Command IDs is complete. The sandbox is clear.

Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.