Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Updated Themes
Posted by: Al.
Date: May 05, 2004 07:14AM

Not sure I understand the privacy thing (One other thing, if you also want to at some future date add in the JuJuLand Privacy Toolbar)

Well a while ago there was a series of "extra" toolbars (sorta similar to what I've just done with the Bonus Pack) that were put out by JuJuLand (well that's the name credited to them).

The "Privacy Bar" as it's called includes buttons (and relevant macros) for controlling layers, popups, images and cookies. The layers and popups buttons are included in Early-Blue anyhow, however if you wanted to add even more buttons to your toolbar, then you can add in the toolbar entries and macros for "Image Blocking" and "Cookie Blocking" from the JuJuLand Privacy bar "pack". Of course this depends upon whether you want or need such additional controls on your browser.

You'll find all the JuJuLand add-ons here:
http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?id=SkinsAndThrobbers#adds

I think being able to erase the cache and history is important. Cookies, otoh, I handle the old-fashioned way. I write protect the file and unprotect it on the fly when I need to enable something. Or I use the ID/Password capability of all Gecko browsers.

Well don't forget to check out Romanito's plugin which handles such things. I'm still toying with the idea of including a cleanup.bat for Early-Blue's Bonus Pack, which would automatically cleanup if you pressed the Cleanup toolbar button. The cleanup.bat thing is just something which I personally prefer over a third party plugin, but hey that's just my own personal thingie. I like to be able to edit things myself and get things working the way I like (sort of explains why I'm still mucking around with K-Meleon even after all this time). If a third party plugin needs updating, well you just have to wait. ;-)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ndebord
Date: May 05, 2004 03:32PM

Al,

I like the idea of a cleanup.bat approach. REM comments could handle the problem of differing folders.

But I'll get back to this later on tonite and see what else I can put on the main toolbar!

<VBG>

N

Date: May 06, 2004 07:34AM

Alrighty I decided to include a batch file for the "Clear Cache and Cookies" button. It isn't anything too flash, however it is fully customisable and very small in file size (1kb), so how could anyone resist that?

The (now final) version of the Early-Blue BonusPack is now availble from the Wiki:
http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?id=KMeleonThemesWiki

Date: May 06, 2004 03:16PM

Al,

I now have a plethora of choices in removing cache, history, location bar history, coookies, passwords. Very nice. I went with cache, history and location bar history. Can't decide which to use, so am using the trashcan for Cache and dupe entries in the Privacy Menu choices using Romain's privacy.dll, but with cookies and passwords disabled. Works for me!

<big grin>

N

Date: May 07, 2004 06:13AM

ndebord...

Just like to say thanks for helping out with the ideas and suggestions, and ultimately the testing of the Bonus Pack. At least you've proven that the instructions I provided are easy enough to follow in order to get it all hooked up and running, and thusly ensuring that I'm on the right track with the whole idea.

Date: May 07, 2004 03:06PM

Al,

What youse guys are doing right now with K-Meleon is akin to what Mozilla and Firefox have been doing with extensions. It is a very good thing. <G>

I've always liked the window's api approach with macros, the flexibility and the speed you get therein.

N

Date: May 07, 2004 10:13PM

What youse guys are doing right now with K-Meleon is akin to what Mozilla and Firefox have been doing with extensions. It is a very good thing. <G>

I suppose that's a fair comparison of sorts. To me the challenge was always going to be how to bring it together, without confusing new users but pleasing experienced and experimental users at the same time.The Pack at least for now isn't a bad way at doing it at all.

Of course the ultimate thing would be to bring together *every* usable macro in a form that makes it easy to add into K-Meleon, but then that would end up being just too much for some.

Maybe one day though.... ;-)

Date: May 08, 2004 06:30AM

Al,

Be it macros or XUL, the goal is the same. To extend the functionality of the Gecko browser. FireFox and K-Meleon do it with extensions of either the XUl or Macro variety. Mozilla does it as a kitchen sink suite with XUL extensions too.

I'm intriqued by Romaino's (sp) privacy.dll concept. I think it is a nice addition to the mix. I'm curious as to how it will evolve in future releases.

N

Posted by: rmn
Date: May 11, 2004 01:48AM

Regarding a recent discussion in the "For the next release..." thread, if we want to stress the importance of a new default theme, we need to be ready with a solution. Since you here are the active themers, why not decide first which theme KM should use as the replacement? This is to prevent "I want this theme" "No, I want that theme" arguments. Once a theme has been agreed to, we can bring up the issue in the dev list or even create an RFE.

For the criteria, I'd search for something original, makes people say, "Hey, this is cool!" the first time they see it, and descriptive.

Date: May 11, 2004 02:41AM

rmn,

Like minds and all that. Just posted in that thread. I have my personal choice, but it is one of the knock-off themes from Mozilla (Early Blue). Have no idea what the guy who did it thinks about anything other than Mozilla.

I would opt for something crystal clear though in terms of what each icon represents. I would think my opinion on that would be considered "boring." <g>

N

Date: May 11, 2004 08:12PM

Personally speaking, I don't think I'll throw in my own particular opinion on which theme should be the default, mainly because as a theme creator I'd probably be seen as being biased in one way or the other. However I will say that most if not all the themes that are available are quite acceptable, so people should feel free to throw in their nominations.

Date: June 05, 2004 02:38AM

Well it's been a while however I've just put out the next Bonus Pack, this time it's for Konqueror. This one contains the usual goodies, plus a new addition, a secure file overwriter. If you elect to use it instead of the regular Cleanup.bat, Wipeout.bat will call upon the included WIPE.EXE file to delete your cache, hostory and cookies files "beyond recovery", similar to most popular Eraser style programs for Windows.

I've tested the wiping program and batch file on my own machine with no problems at all, so it should run smoothly for everybody else as the batch file contains straightforward DOS commands. The only part you need to do yourself is edit the batch file with the correct paths of your Profiles folder (and subsequently the paths of the cache folder, history.txt and cookies.txt).

I might also package just the batch file and WIPE.EXE seperately and add them to the Wiki for those folks who just want something like that by itself instead of with a theme.

Date: June 06, 2004 05:15PM

Al,

The secure file overwriter looks very promising. Without trying it out, I wonder if there is any way to make it selective? So you can choose which one or combo to delete among the current choices of cache, history and cookies.

N

Date: June 07, 2004 09:10AM

The batch file is what automates the process, same as the regular one I included originally with Early-Blue (the basic deleter), so yeah you can edit the batch file and "rem" out the bits you don't want WIPE.EXE to securely overwrite, like say the cookies file or similar (if you're into preserving certain ones).

Date: June 07, 2004 04:34PM

Al,

That's good, I'll just edit the batch file to get exactly what I want to overwrite.

Tks,

N

Date: June 07, 2004 09:49PM

I'll just give you a little tip: if you plan on running the batch file from within K-Meleon (say if you clcik on the Clear Cache and Cookies button) then it'll only overwrite the cache and cookies files, as the History file gets "locked" by K-Meleon when K-Meleon is in use. Alternatively running the batch file when K-Meleon isn't running will overwrite everything you specify in the batch file. My recommendation is to then probably run it at Windows startup (shortcut to batch file in the Start menu Startup folder perhaps).

I also have a reference file here for Wipe.exe, including the different command line switches you can use for it. I'll dig it up later and post the switches here for you, so you can change the values on the batch file, if there's something else you want to include.

Date: June 08, 2004 12:34AM

Here you go, this is from the Wipe Ref text:

DESCRIPTION:

Wipes (overwrites) one or more files, or entire subdirectories if requested.

SYNTAX:

WIPE file... [/A:[-]AHRS] [/NPQSTXYZ] [/! | /E files... /I files...]
[/M[NQWGF] /V"xxx" /Rn /C"command";"off";"on"]
[@[@]|%[name]] [/4[:dfile] [/[dts-ranges]]

file... Specifies one or more files to be wiped. Wildcards are allowed.
/A: Attribute select /T Total
/C Command off/on /V overwriting Values
/M wiping Mode /X removes empty subdirectories
/N Nothing /Y answers "Yes" to all prompts
/P Prompt /Z Zap: removes also protected files
/Q Quiet /E Exclude following files
/R Repeat /I Include following files
/S Subdirectories /! delete all except following files

@[@]|%[name] Reads parameters from a file or from an environment variable.
/4[:dfile] 4DOS: Removes also 4DOS file descriptions from "dfile".
Default file name is "descript.ion".
/[dts-ranges] Specifies date, time or size range according to which
files are chosen. Format is: /[{type}{begin},{end}].

This help summary is available with /? switch.

Date: June 08, 2004 06:37AM

Al,

Thanks for the FAQ. Now to decide which parts of wipe I wish to use.

<g>

N

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.