Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
Issues applying themes
Posted by: Ryan McLucas
Date: July 09, 2021 12:09AM

Dzień dobry all,
I just downloaded K-Meleon for use on my laptop for college, which uses Windows XP Home Edition. The browser itself works perfectly, I've just been having issues with applying a theme that makes it look like Windows XP's Explorer, like Internet Explorer 6. I used the LizardKing modified XP skin on this page: and the WhistlerXP theme from this page: . I unzipped the folders and placed them into the skins directory and selected it under the browser preferences. I restarted the browser and the themes simply refused to apply;graphics or icons load, though all of the buttons are still there. They all just appear the same color as the natural window background, and if you roll over them with the cursor, tooltips still appear. I tried this in both the Gecko and Goanna versions, and it did the same thing, though I don't know whether or not that would make any difference when it comes to the UI. Any help that anyone could give would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a lot!

- RPM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Issues applying themes / HOWTO customize SKIN icons
Posted by: siria
Date: July 09, 2021 01:51PM

(_HOWTO_ customize skin buttons icons theme)

The skinning system hasn't changed between gecko and goanna, the later only updates the embedded engine (how pages look, permissions etc, same engine in NewMoon27), not the "looks" of the GUI.

The KM-skins in the wiki are some decades old am afraid, from the earliest KM0.x times, as many other wiki pages too. But nonetheless 90% of those ancient buttons should still work anyway if showing up and getting clicked, not be completey broken as you seem to say?

Ryan McLucas
....the themes simply refused to apply;graphics or icons load, though all of the buttons are still there. They all just appear the same color as the natural window background, and if you roll over them with the cursor, tooltips still appear.

Can you describe that more in detail??
It almost sounds like what happens in Windows98 without KernelEx or a wrong compat setting, or icons with Partial Transparency in old Windows, or if one of Microsofts msvc...dll files are missing, but you have XP, so no clue...

If you really, really like to get other icons and are ready to invest own work time, you basically just need to copy an existing skin folder, and use a simple image editor to replace the bmp/png/ico files with your own looks.
If you like, you can even add a file "back.bmp" inside, to change the toolbar background too (and toggle the setting in F2)

One thing to be aware, some years back the KM-skinning system got an update to allow more "flexible" icons somehow, automating sizes and simultanous use in menus etc., using json-files. The prob is, this "modern" system is a lot more complicated to understand for users (me included). But so far this system is only used in the skins/default and Shared folder.

Luckily the older, traditional skinning system is beautifully simple to understand and customize, almost foolproof and still working in KM76 too smiling smiley
So by far the easiest way for users to fiddle with skin icons themselves is to copy such an older skin.
The included "Klassic" skin is an example, but extremely ancient itself, and its config too, so I wouldn't use it.
My CLASSIRIA skin (in wiki) was based on it too, but contained more buttons and LOTS of explanations inside toolbars.cfg. Perhaps TOO overwhelming, and a few of its notes meanwhile outdated too...

By far the best traditional template is the PHOENITY skin family which was default in KM1.5.4
HOWTO use this as template:
Download KM1.5.4 and copy over the folders skins/Phoenity and "Phoenity(Large)".
One is the base folder, containing 16px icons, for toolbar AND menuicons.
The "Large" folder is optional, it contains only additional 24px icons for the toolbar, all missing files are simply inherited from its family base folder (incl. menuicons.) Tip: more such variation folders can be created easily if wished and named freely, for example different backgrounds etc. (in that case containing only 1 file "back.bmp")
Then copy both folders again in your current KM76 and invent your own name, e.g. mygreatskin or whatever.

Open KM, hit F2, choose your own "new" skin in the settings and restart, just to confirm it works (don't bother with button looks yet, you'll change those anway)
That new skin folder contains a bunch of bmp-icons, a few ico-icons, 2 cfg files and a js-file.
But all you need is to just exchange the icons with any image editor.
Nowadays png format can be used too, just remember in that case they must be renamed in toolbars.cfg too.
A transparent background can be achieved by either painting it magenta, or by using the color of the FIRST pixel in left upper corner of the icon-FILE itself. Not sure about partial transparency or how that's called, probably works in KM76 but not sure.

IIRC 1-2 buttons meanwhile need an updated command name in toolbars.cfg, which can be copied over from the modern default skin.
Look inside ...KM76.../browser/defaults/settings/toolbars.cfg
One is the HISTORY button (something with "places"?), the other not sure, if any at all... but if you stumble across it, just find and copy its new command also.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2021 01:59PM by siria.

Posted by: Ryan McLucas
Date: July 09, 2021 05:37PM

Cześć,

Thanks so much for your reply. I just realized there is a typo in my original message. Where it says "graphics or icons load," it should say "no graphics or icons load," if that is any help.

I was afraid that the skins would be too old, seeing as they were published in 2003/2004. What I was trying to say initially is that the buttons load, but their icons do not load, and the size of the toolbars does not change to compensate for the icons that should be there. It just looks like a blank toolbar, but the buttons themselves are still there and functional when you roll over them with the mouse. The skin just doesn't apply when I select it under Preferences.

Thanks for the how-to! I'll let you know if I have questions!

-RPM

Posted by: siria
Date: July 10, 2021 12:32AM

Ryan McLucas
the buttons load, but their icons do not load, and the size of the toolbars does not change to compensate for the icons that should be there. It just looks like a blank toolbar, but the buttons themselves are still there and functional when you roll over them with the mouse. The skin just doesn't apply when I select it under Preferences.

Sounds weird... Now I tried your linked skin WhistlerXP in my older KM74, and there the buttons show up okay. Make sure you don't accidentally have a subfolder leftover from unzipping, but otherwise no idea. Just hope it's not some new KM76 prob - perhaps anyone else with current KM76 can take another look too.

By the way the wiki contains separate skins for KM1.1(+older) and KM1.5(+newer). The newer ones are here:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/wiki/K-MeleonThemes15

But not sure if there were major differences, can only dimly remember something about a changed spelling for the Config button, which could easily be changed in the cfg file. KM1.1 was before I got involved deeper, so not sure... But looking inside this WhistlerXP skin for KM0.9, at first look I can't notice much difference yet. Only that the names for the privbar buttons contain pipes ("|Cookies| {") which is unusual, but so far no prob it seems.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.