Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
URL bar text update
Posted by: TexasFett
Date: April 24, 2003 05:21AM

The text in the URL bar does not update after using a bookmark or the home button if focus is in the URL bar when you click.

Discovered in MonkeeSage's 4-11 build. Is this a known bug or should I file a bug report?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: URL bar text update
Posted by: jsnj
Date: April 24, 2003 05:30AM

I can't replicate that. It updates in mine.

Date: April 25, 2003 05:21PM

I just tested it on two more computers with the current official release 0.7.1 under Win2000 and XP and it has this same problem on both.

To clarify: Type some stuff into the URL bar. Then while the cursor is still in the URL bar and the text is not highlighted click the home button or use a bookmark. A link on the currently displayed page will update the bar so don't use that to test.

Posted by: asmpgmr
Date: April 25, 2003 05:36PM

I can confirm this, I'll look into it and see if I can figure out what's going on.

Date: April 25, 2003 06:21PM

This is happening to prevent the URL bar from being overwritten with the current URL while typing if a page is being loaded. This should probably be changed because of the stated problem which is more likely to occur than someone typing in the URL bar while a page is loading.

MonkeeSage if you're reading this, the fix is in BrowserFrm.h:

Change:

inline SetCurrentURL(LPCTSTR pUrl) {
if (!m_changed) {
SetWindowText(pUrl);
m_changed = FALSE;
}
}

to (remove the if):

inline SetCurrentURL(LPCTSTR pUrl) {
SetWindowText(pUrl);
m_changed = FALSE;
}

Posted by: jsnj
Date: April 25, 2003 07:27PM

Oh OK. To be more precise, the URL Bar doesn't update if you've changed the text in URL Bar and then go to another page via a bookmark. I tested before by placing focus in the URL Bar by highlighting but not changing the text. It updates if the text isn't changed.

Personally, I like the way it is. I remember quite often with IE, typing in the url bar only to have it wiped away once a page had finished loading. Very annoying. Scenario would most likely happen on startup if one wants to go quickly to an un-bookmarked page or do a Quicksearch while the home page is loading. Anyway, if you're going to a page via a bookmark or Home Page, you already know what the web address is, so it seems merely a cosmetic bug. And it seems more unlikely to be typing in the URL bar only to change your mind midway through and decide to go to a bookmark instead.

Date: April 25, 2003 09:04PM

Another way this can happen is if you edit the URL bar then decide to go back or forward.

Date: April 25, 2003 09:23PM

I do like the current feature of not overwriting the URL if you are typing while a page loads. Those of us still on dialups can often out type a webpage poping up. Like jsnj said the way IE does this sucks, so if this fix affects that feature I would say leave it the way it is.

Date: April 30, 2003 04:46PM

Here's a macro which will restore the current URL on the URL bar, bind it to a key (like Alt-D) and you can always get back the current URL

get_url {
$var = getclipboard();
setclipboard($URL);
id(ID_SELECT_URL);
id(ID_EDIT_PASTE);
setclipboard($var);
}

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.