Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
MIME Types in K-Meleon
Posted by: kko
Date: November 12, 2007 07:03PM

Purpose of this thread is to track a problem in conjunction with K-Meleon's MIME type settings:

ra
Getting the save/open/cancel prompt for WMV files doesn't work, they're always opened in the media player.

If you've experienced a similar problem, feel free to post your comment here.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MIME Types in K-Meleon
Date: November 12, 2007 07:04PM

@all: For testing, it might be helpful when someone could provide a link to a page that is linking a WMV file.

Date: November 12, 2007 07:04PM

@ra: What I basically wanted to know is what MIME type editor you used. The old one or the new one?

The old MIME type editor is found under Edit > MIME Types. It's basically Mozilla's/SeaMonkey's MIME type editor.

The new MIME type editor is located in the XUL preferences panel.
In km 1.1 open "Edit" > "Advanced Preferences" and select Category "File Handling" (under "Browsing").
In km 1.5 open "Edit" > "Preferences", select Category "File Handling" (under "Browsing") and switch to the tab "By Type".
It's basically Firefox' MIME type editor and it's working a bit different than the old one.

Posted by: guenter
Date: November 13, 2007 06:16AM

@kko,

IMHO Mtypes, the old editor, is more capable but You can make faults easily.

You, alain and me have maintained and rewritten it since its creator has gone - so we can choose what to do - IMHO it is time to withdraw Mtypes from default download with K-Meleon.

regards

Posted by: JamesD
Date: November 13, 2007 01:21PM

I have looked at both MIME editors in 1.5a1 and the one in prefrences shows a long list of types. I don't see any types listed at all in the one under edit. Is this correct?

Seems like from looking at the listing that most types will be assigned to the software most recently installed or updated. I just updated from Quicktime 7.2 to 7.3 and almost everything is now assiged to Quicktime 7.3

Date: November 13, 2007 04:00PM

guenter
IMHO Mtypes, the old editor, is more capable but You can make faults easily.

guenter
IMHO it is time to withdraw Mtypes from default download with K-Meleon.

These are questions that I'd like to discuss in this thread.

Before we can decide these questions, we have to learn a bit more about how K-Meleon users are actually dealing with MIME types. I want to get an impression about what functions/settings are really required.

I'd like to repeat my statement in the initial post: This thread is not meant for ra and me only. I want to encourage everybody to contribute their experience in dealing with MIME types in K-Meleon.

Date: November 13, 2007 04:02PM

JamesD
I have looked at both MIME editors in 1.5a1 and the one in prefrences shows a long list of types. I don't see any types listed at all in the one under edit. Is this correct?

Seems like from looking at the listing that most types will be assigned to the software most recently installed or updated. I just updated from Quicktime 7.2 to 7.3 and almost everything is now assiged to Quicktime 7.3

This is all correct.

The old MIME type editor is working with a static (user-generated) database (stored in mimeTypes.rdf in your profile directory). For K-Meleon 1.0, I worked on this database (1.0 provided a pre-defined list of the most common file types). However, from my own personal experience, this list in conjunction with the old MIME type editor wasn't very useful. At least me, I never used it. Another aspect is that this static (pre-defined or user-edited) list may not match the information stored in your system's registry. In this case, your MIME type editions will not work as expected (or not at all). When using the old editor, you have to know exactly what you are doing. My impression is that this is asked to much for most users.

The new MIME type editor is dynamically generating its list from the Windows Registry (that's why it takes some time to open it). The file type information provided by the new editor is thus always correct (it's always matching your system settings). However, the new editor only offers edition of those file types that are associated with plugins. Your system knows a lot more file types, but you can't edit those. You can do that with the old editor only. That's why we decided to provide both the new and the old editor in K-Meleon 1.1. But I had to withdraw the pre-defined list of file types that we provided in K-Meleon 1.0 - it caused problems in the new editor. This is the reason why the old editor is not displaying anything in K-Meleon 1.1 - unless you have added something yourself.

Posted by: JujuLand
Date: November 13, 2007 06:03PM

I think that the new editor is nice, but is lacking the feature of adding types. For example, application/pdf, when added in old editor, allows to open with the default program, what K-Meleon always do without a manually created type, but if you don't use the old editor, you have always the choice question (download or open).

I think that perhaps the troubles which can be encountered are due to dual definitions in old and new editor.

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2007 06:03PM by JujuLand.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: November 14, 2007 01:27PM

@ kko

kko
Before we can decide these questions, we have to learn a bit more about how K-Meleon users are actually dealing with MIME types. I want to get an impression about what functions/settings are really required.

Before reading this thread, I had never used either MIME type editor. I had from time to time changed some file associations in Windows. I might use an editor now that I know what it does.

Does the new editor update the Windows Registry?

Date: November 14, 2007 07:45PM

No, it's just for K-Meleon (the old and the new editor).

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Posted by: ra
Date: November 18, 2007 10:07PM

Hi kko and others,

So far I've been using the old MIME types editor, none at all (text editor...) or the one from Firefox (copying the mimetypes file over to K-M), with each approach giving me the same disappointing result outlined above.

Yesterday I tried the new MIME types editor and for the first time it actually works. Now WMV files "behave" like other file types and I haven't found any exceptions yet.

So, thanks for the new MIME types editor!

BTW: How can I configure K-M that the "Open" button in the download prompt is enabled for EXEcuteable files? I'm aware of the security risks (so "Save" should be default*), but I'd like to have it nevertheless, especially because Internet Explorer and Firefox both allow opening EXE files. <eg>

* BTW2: Is there a way to configure the default button (Save/Open/Cancel) on the download prompt per filetype? I think that could be useful. :-)

Date: November 23, 2007 04:36PM

JujuLand
I think that perhaps the troubles which can be encountered are due to dual definitions in old and new editor.

I don't think so since both editors are using the same mimeTypes.rdf and the same RDF format. I'm convinced that the trouble is caused by wrong file type definitions made with the old editor. There a several possibilities to make something wrong and then your settings simply do not take effect.

JujuLand
I think that the new editor is nice, but is lacking the feature of adding types. For example, application/pdf, when added in old editor, allows to open with the default program, what K-Meleon always do without a manually created type, but if you don't use the old editor, you have always the choice question (download or open).

Yes, that's right. The question is whether this file type addition is so important that we have to include the old editor by default.

Facing JamesD's comment - you can assume him to be a more experienced user - I see the situation something like this:
- 95% of the users don't know what a MIME type is, never used a MIME type editor and wouldn't miss a MIME type editor if there were none.
- <5% do care about MIME type settings, but frequently fail to succeed with the old editor and frequently complain that "it doesn't work".
- The rest knows how to use the old editor or succeeded due to good luck. application/pdf is a good example because you can't make much wrong with this type. (*)

I guess that more than 95% would be satisfied with the new editor. The others could install the old editor as an optional package. Thanks to your Extension Setup that could be done with a few mouse clicks.

(*) Am I right that you are not using the Adobe Reader? Since, when you have installed the Adobe Reader, the Adobe Reader plugin is handling application/pdf files by default. The application/pdf type can then be configured in the new editor.

Date: November 23, 2007 04:37PM

By the way, before we are focusing to much on the MIME type editors, there's another possibility to influence how files of certain types are handled:

browser.helperApps.alwaysAsk.force
browser.helperApps.neverAsk.openFile
browser.helperApps.neverAsk.saveToDisk

See http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_entries

Currently, I'm just not sure how far km is making use of these prefs.

Maybe km's download prompt, which is asking you whether you want to open or save a file, might have an additional checkbox "Remember my choice" ?

Date: November 23, 2007 04:37PM

ra
So far I've been using the old MIME types editor, none at all (text editor...) or the one from Firefox (copying the mimetypes file over to K-M), with each approach giving me the same disappointing result outlined above.

Yesterday I tried the new MIME types editor and for the first time it actually works. Now WMV files "behave" like other file types and I haven't found any exceptions yet.

Thanks for your feedback.

ra
How can I configure K-M that the "Open" button in the download prompt is enabled for EXEcuteable files? I'm aware of the security risks (so "Save" should be default*), but I'd like to have it nevertheless, especially because Internet Explorer and Firefox both allow opening EXE files.

I do neither know any way to enable the disabled button nor do I know why it is actually disabled. Best ask Dorian.

ra
Is there a way to configure the default button (Save/Open/Cancel) on the download prompt per filetype? I think that could be useful.

No, AFAIK that's not implemented. What could be useful about it?

Date: November 23, 2007 09:18PM

(*) Am I right that you are not using the Adobe Reader? Since, when you have installed the Adobe Reader, the Adobe Reader plug-in is handling application/pdf files by default. The application/pdf type can then be configured in the new editor.

Obviously, I use Foxit Reader :-), and I definitively delete Acrobat from my computers.

ra
Is there a way to configure the default button (Save/Open/Cancel) on the download prompt per filetype? I think that could be useful.

With the old editor :-)

A+

Posted by: ra
Date: December 01, 2007 02:43PM

kko
ra

There are certain file/MIME types I usually like to save and there are other I usually like to open directly. Usually means not always, so a default for the prompt would be useful, especially if you surf with one hand near the enter key, so you'd only have to hit enter when the download prompt opens (would spare you moving the mouse and click on the other button or hit another key on the keyboard, so it's about optimzing the browser experience further <g>).

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.