Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
Prompt when adding an already existing bookmark
Posted by: ra
Date: February 04, 2006 06:22PM

Hi!

Sometimes I bookmark the same page twice or more times, because I don't remember that I had already bookmarked it some time ago. It would be cool if K-M would ask me something like "This address is already in your bookmarks [named <s.th.> in folder x and <s.th. else> in folder y], would you really like to bookmark it a third time?" in such a case.

The same thing should also be added to hotlist and favorites as well, IMHO.

Would do you think of it, would that be a useful feature?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Prompt when adding an already existing bookmark
Posted by: George
Date: February 09, 2006 04:25AM

That is not a good idea becuase to different web pages can have the same name. Some web developers are too lazy to give each web page a differnet name at their web site and two diifferent web sites can have the same name when bookmarking.
It not needed with IE becuase of IE's problem with favorites becuase when add a web site with the same name as favorite it can overwrite that favorite if click OK. Your Idea would would not work becuase only way that is would be possible is allow K-meleon to overwrite bookmarks which is a a problem that I had with IE which caused me to loose some favorites. When Importing Netscape Bookmarks to IE Favorites you lose some bookmarks. So the method in place is perfect unless you want to loose two different bookmarks with the same name. Also it may look like bookmarked a web page a couple of times, If checked the web address of the bookmark it can be to different web pages on the same page or two different web pages arranged in alphabetical order.

Your Idea would cause nothing but problems which could allow bookmarks to be overwritten, Deleting one of two differnent bookmarks with the same, and it could not tell the differnce between to different bookmarks with the same name. The method is perfect when compared to your Idea which is one ot the drawbacks of IE it can have no favorite with same name in the root folder or in the same folder.

Posted by: SlideRule
Date: February 09, 2006 05:01AM

Ra:

There is a 'freeware' product . . . name of Favorites View . . . that does the following (taken from their web page):

Description

FavoritesView displays the list of all your Favorties (of Internet Explorer browser) and bookmarks (of Netscape/Mozilla browsers) in a single page. Each line in the list specifies the title of the item, the URL address, the created/modified date of the bookmark item, and the folder name. You select one or more of these bookmarks, and then copy them to the clipboard, delete them (Only for Internet Explorer Favorites), export them to tab-delimited text file, HTML file, or XML file. FavoritesView also allows you to locate duplicate URL addresses in your Favorites/Bookmarks or find specific item by specifying the URL or the title.

This product might be of some interest for you . . . and . . . can be found here:

I hope this helps.

SlideRule

Date: March 01, 2006 12:00AM

You didn't get me George, if it matched on the title of a page it would of course be stupid. It has to match on the URL (= address) and should show a confirmation dialog if it is already bookmarked.

Thanks, SlideRule, that's a way to remove the duplicates. Now if the wouldn't be created in the first place (by showing the dialog that I presume) it would be even cooler. ;-)

Has anyone objections against filing a RFE?

Posted by: George
Date: March 02, 2006 04:40AM

The way the bookmark plugin is designed I do not think that would be possible because it has no mechanism to detect a previously bookmarked website. And would not recommend modifying the plugin to do so becuase it could cause problems and use a lot of memory just to remember the previous bookmarked website.

Posted by: brainheart
Date: April 18, 2006 06:25PM

Hi!

I´m not a coder, but I think it should be possible to add this function without editing the bookmark-plugin:
Bookmarks are stored in bookmark.htm. So if a macro would grab the url (after clicking "Add Bookmark"), pass it over as search-string for something like "Find in page <bookmark.htm>", it could be passed back to the bookmark-plugin, if url was not found in bookmark.htm. If the url was found, a popup-window could ask for continuing the bookmark-process (pass back to bookmark-plugin) or stopping the bookmarking (no passing on to the bookmark-plugin). What you think?

greetz
brainheart

PS: I´d really appreciate to have such a feature...

Posted by: ndebord
Date: April 18, 2006 08:20PM

ra,

I see from some of my bookmarks, which are duplicates, that date stamp info is different, so wonder if this feature is possible or not?

N

Date: April 18, 2006 09:06PM

Of course it is if you haven't filed them in the very same second.

But if the URL is exactly the same this should be enough for the check, if s.o. would and could implement it. I surely would appreciate it very much with bookmarking chaos all over the place alongside categorized bookmarks.

Posted by: bst82551
Date: April 18, 2006 09:53PM

It seems like it might be with the macro utilities plugin to help, but that's the sloppy way to do it.

Brian

Posted by: rmn
Date: April 19, 2006 04:28AM

I think this can be done with macros + the util plugin.

But of course you can file an RFE for the Bookmarks plugin.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.