General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Bookmarks Plugin Isn't Showing Up
Posted by: Coolin
Date: January 29, 2005 05:41PM

I just reformatted my computer and installed K-Meleon. Unfortunately now, the plugins are screwed up.

When I go to my Preferences > Plugins, the bookmarks plugin isn't shown as an option. Some other plugins seem to be missing to, but I can't lay a finger on it.

I'm sure I installed the Bookmarks plugin, and bookmarks.dll is in the /kplugins folder. But I can't enable it.

Any clue guys?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bookmarks Plugin Isn't Showing Up
Posted by: guenter
Date: January 29, 2005 06:05PM

try deleting (better rename because that is reversible) Your used Profiles.
k-m should repair himself then - that is easiest.

check with file manager whether needed files are there

also check whether windows dll need update after reinstall of OS
(needed for win 95 to 98 and older win NT up to 4)
compare in wiki under trouble shooting whith certain faults.

http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?id=FAQ&antispam123=c3deb517748a4a48f5d46fbc914ca3fa#install1

there item: Troubleshooting

(google name of MFC42.dll and update that is usually suffuciant
- just in case You have only slow modem)

also remember some installs are simply corupted.
In case You suspect that:
try install k-m under other than default name to see whether that is the reason
or OS lacking update is reason.

Posted by: jsnj
Date: January 29, 2005 07:51PM

Sounds like a VC6RedistSetup.exe problem.

http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/?id=ReleaseNotes09#problems

Date: January 29, 2005 09:34PM

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm on Windows 2000 Professional, Updated to SP4, with all Critical Security Updates (Except for IE6) and some Recommended Updates installed

It says on that site that:
Users on WindowsME and Windows 2000 should go to the Windows Update web site to download the appropriate updates.

I've downloaded the updates but it still doesn't work...

I'll try installing the VC6RedistSetup.exe, even though it's for Windows95/98/NT users.

Date: January 29, 2005 09:57PM

Tried VC6RedistSetup.exe, it doesn't install on Windows 2000. Double click on it and it doesn't respond.

I searched my HD, and I already have two files on my C:\WINNT\system32\ directory like so.

mfc42.dll (File Version: 6.0.9586.0)
mfc42u.dll (File Version: 6.0.9586.0)

Date: January 30, 2005 09:20AM

Ok well that's interesting....

I just started using my computer more, and now when I reinstall K-Meleon... It suddenly works!

Posted by: jsnj
Date: January 30, 2005 09:08PM

Yeah, you probably installed another app that contained the needed files for KM's plugins to work. For me, that app was Norton Utilities.

Posted by: Ted
Date: March 16, 2005 08:12PM

I have this same problem; my system hard drive died and a fresh install of Windows 2000 SP4 give a highly unusable version of Kmeleon:

no bookmarks menu even though bookmarks plugin is present (and was selected)
no right click on highlighted text to search on.
no history
other similar problems

I have searched the forums and this problem has been around for several versions.
While some people eventually report success (usually by installing some other program that seems to have the missing .dll's), there is no solution.

I have run dependency walker hoping to find some file missing, but I'm not sure I know how to use it properly.

Thanks for any help

Date: March 16, 2005 09:03PM

I hate replying to my own message, but I found the answer...

msvcp60.dll is the missing file. Drop it in C:\winnt\system and it's good to go!

(I installed Winamp, and it complained that msvcp60.dll was missing; I picked up a copy and everything works as it should!)

thanks, keep this thread archived!

Posted by: everling
Date: March 19, 2005 12:42PM

I too just experienced this and I agree with Ted. "msvcp60.dll" is indeed the missing dll required. I dropped my copy into system32, where the older "msvcp50.dll" is.

Perhaps K-Meleon should include this file in the installer or at least warn the user that the file is missing?

Posted by: guenter
Date: March 19, 2005 01:03PM

I agree and the files missing for older in 95798/nt better as well for good messure.
hope one that has something to say reads this.

Posted by: C
Date: March 19, 2005 03:00PM

I and several friends are also having these problems.
So, let me see if I understand everyone.
Msvcp 60.dll is all that's needed?
Is there any special location it should be installed to?
I mean Ted mentions a place and I assume it will probably come as a zip file.
I'm just new to extracting zip files. So do I tell it to extract to exactly where
you say Ted and don't type "Program Files" at the beginning?

Posted by: Carson
Date: March 19, 2005 03:42PM

C, unzipping zipped files is easy, and that's why it confuses people at first. They are expecting it to be trickier.

Depending on the unzip program you have, you have various options. You can "unzip here" or "move to..." (which may mean the file will be unzipped, or extracted, to that location).

If you wish, there is no problem unzipping a file in its present location, if you're comfortable there. Wait a second or two after giving the command, and then one or two or three new, unzipped, files will show up. One is likely a "read me" file.

Then you can copy and paste, or cut and paste, to manually deposit that file where you want it. Or you can drag it there, but if it's an EXE file you might accidentally start the program if you drag it.

What if you accidentally put it in the wrong p[lace? Probably nothing. It is likely to be ignored by the wrong program. You can unzip the original zipped file all over again, if you know where it is. Scraps of paper accumulated during these processes; that's about the only thing that gets complicated!

If you are new to installing and uninstalling programs, get yourself a registry cleaner and clean your registry often. There is debris left behind by installing. Broken files slow down your system, as the computer wastes time trying to follow them through.

I've recommended these registry cleaners before:

1. Very nice, friendly, easy to use, quite safe, and good-looking; especially nice for people new at the game: TuneUp Utilities 2004. It's free for a month. After that it wants you to pay something like $40. (It's worth it, too.) If you have a computer that has not been maintained this way for a couple of years, you may well see a speed difference. http://www.tune-up.com/products/tuneup-utilities/

2. Pretty much the same thing, without the pretty GUI (graphical user interface), for people who are advanced enough that they don't need to read this anyway. This is a forever-freeware program, which is absolutely excellent, trustworthy, and reliable. It doesn't require much expertise, but it expects you know what to do next, and it doesn't really tell you. My guess is that's intentional, as a way of putting off people who might not know enough to be safely running this program. RegSeeker, at http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm (You can find other excellent programs there as well.)

I rate both of these as "highly recommended". There are quite a number of other registry cleaners; take your pick. I use mine pretty well every day, because I do a lot of downloading, installing and uninstalling. :-)

Date: March 19, 2005 05:12PM

This worked for me on virtually clean brand new Win 2K sp4 install (after my system disk failed). If it works for others, please note it here -- I've had this problem several times and it eventually fixed itself like the original poster (probably due to installing another program that did contain the appropriate file). This time made an effort to figure out the missing file.

I've added a note about this to the FAQ
http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?id=FAQ#trouble12

Maybe I should copy it to the the v0.9 release notes page?

The file is available on the Win 2K install disk in the Support/Tools folder in the support.cab file. You can also search for it with Google; there are many sites that supply missing dll files.

It only needs to be in the path, which normally includes C:\winnt\system\, c:\winnt\, and C:\winnt\system32\. Any of these locations will work; I believe you could also place it in the Kmeleon directory and it will work as well (but I haven't checked this).

The file is supposedly in the VC6RedistSetup.exe file according to Microsoft, but that file won't install under Win 2K(it's for Win 95/98/ME). I suppose you could take the archive apart and pull the file out, but the other methods above are easier.

Date: March 19, 2005 09:07PM

Thanks to all.
I'll try your suggestions

Date: March 20, 2005 03:21AM

Okay, jsnj mentioned installing Norton so I took the novices way and installed
a trial version of Norton utilities 2005 which worked. Many thanks to everyone.
Now I am in need of more advice. Since this Norton expires in only 2 weeks
will it take the DLL's when it does? What if I just uninstall it NOW? I really don't
believe it could be better than using Ad-Aware, Spybot, SpywareBlaster, AntiVir,
Zone Alarm and/or several other Anti Spyware, Anti Virus, and Firewall programs which I already have. Besides I know I would not want to run it at the same time
as Anti Vir or Zone Alarm. I believe there is supposed to be something dangerous
about running 2 firewalls or 2 anti virus programs simultaneously.

All advice, information, and/or other comments are certainly greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance

Date: March 20, 2005 03:26AM

Okay, jsnj mentioned installing Norton so I took the novices way and installed
a trial version of Norton utilities 2005 which worked. Many thanks to everyone.
Now I am in need of more advice. Since this Norton expires in only 2 weeks
will it take the DLL's when it does? What if I just uninstall it NOW? I really don't
believe it could be better than using Ad-Aware, Spybot, SpywareBlaster, AntiVir,
Zone Alarm and/or several other Anti Spyware, Anti Virus, and Firewall programs which I already have. Besides I know I would not want to run it at the same time
as Anti Vir or Zone Alarm. I believe there is supposed to be something dangerous
about running 2 firewalls or 2 anti virus programs simultaneously.

All advice, information, and/or other comments are certainly greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance

P.S. Sorry that I forget to mention there is still 1 thing that it didn't give me:
MFC42D.DLL. I tried installing it using methods mentioned in the forum. I'm
not surprised that I failed. I've never had to install DLL's

Date: March 20, 2005 04:29AM

In theory when you use "Add or Remove Programs", a polite program--and Norton should be one--will let you know that it has a number of "shared .dlls" that are up to you whether to keep or kill. This is when you get that little pop-up that asks you for a [Y] or [N] and also lets you know that surplus .dlls will not really make any appreciable difference to your system.

In other words, it wants you to keep them unless you are absolutely certain you don't need them. Often it tells you that these .dlls SEEM to have no function and it SEEMS they are not being used anywhere else. Now, whether Norton will deliver on that point is hard to say.

Apart from that (which unfortunately is your main issue, and I haven't solved it for you), you might as well take Norton off sooner rather than later. You're right; AntiVir Personal and Norton are one too many. They won't hurt your computer, though. The worst that can happen (and it's bad enough) is that Norton can stick on start-up if there is a conflict, and you can have trouble getting Windows to come up. I doubt that that happens much these days; it's been several years since I "fired" Norton and switched to AntiVir Personal.

And, yes, the ones you named are the favourite "killers" out there.

You shouldn't have had trouble installing a .dll, though. A huge bunch of them are in Windows, plus often enough they just go into the program files they relate to, and Windows seems to find them anyway. I would suggest you rethink that part, beginning with the possibility you may have tried too hard, and "overshot the target" as a result. Setting up K-Meleon, or even setting up Zone Alarm, is MUCH more detailed and demanding than putting in a dynamic library link. A .dll will never bite you, even though they are the drivers that make things happen. By nature, however, they are very placid files compared to such things as .exe files.

This is pretty darned subjective, but I hope it helps a little bit. It sounds to me like you're doing everything right. You've already passed the course; now you're simply polishing things so you get your "A" grade.

And you will. :-)

Date: March 20, 2005 04:44AM

C, I'll give you something more specific. I just did a Search on my Drive C: (using Agent Ransack http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/default.aspx , of course; never Start >Search--and I found eleven of those msvcp60.dlls in just that one drive!

Okay, a bunch were being stored here and there for backup, plus I use a dozen K-Meleons.

I see that Hao Jiang's versions 019 and 020 both use that file. His are in my
C:\Program Files\...\K-Meleon\...\plugins

and I also found the same file in my
C:\Windows\System 32\
which is where a huge bunch of library links hang out.

Good luck. Please keep us posted here until you've aced it. :-)

Date: March 20, 2005 04:46AM

Thanks very much Carson. Seems to me that it would be okay to uninstall Norton
and then if that takes the DLL's just reinstall. But I guess I'll wait until it's been
turned off overnight. I just thought that might make the DLL's more likely to stay
in place.

Date: March 20, 2005 05:49AM

I re-read this thread, C, and I'm just wondering whether you have set your files so you can see them properly. A lot of people never do, becuz Windows kind of leans on you not to--Microsoft prefers everyone just uses what I call their "My-My" approach.

My Computer, my everything. But it holds people back from learning much.

So, just to be sure the ground has been covered, I'll give out the directions for Windows XP. These are a bit different in Windows 2000 or ME, but the idea is about the same.

You need to use your Windows Explorer--not your Internet Explorer. Do that via My Computer, or Drive C: or whatever works for you.

TOOLS >Folder Options >View >Hidden files and folders
-- Indicate show hidden files and folders. Default is not to show them.
-- Uncheck Hide extensions for known file types

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Other settings I recommend:

TOOLS >Folder Options >General >Use Windows classic folders
and
VIEW >Explorer Bar >Check Folders
and
VIEW >Details

IMHO. :-) These settings let you see what you're doing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
C, when you asked up above about So do I tell it to extract to exactly where
you say Ted and don't type "Program Files" at the beginning?
, you notice Ted referred to your path, which is the term for the whole long name that begins with whatever drive you're in, say, Drive C, and ends up with the specific file. That whole thing is your pathname, which everyone who ever used DOS in the 1980s knew about as well as they knew their own names. :-)

I might be telling you a lot of things you already know, but I thought I'd stick this in here for the guys who are reading the thread but not posting to it. These are the basics that let you see what you're doing, like I said, and that's your take-off point for doing a thousand nifty-keeners things with your files, and blowing up your computer HEY I didn't say that.... :-)

Date: March 20, 2005 12:51PM

Many thanks again Carson. I'll try the above. The software here is more ancient
than mentioned above as it's Windows 98SE. Oh, and you don't have to be
concerned about telling me things I might already know, as I didn't know about
the above. Anyway I'd rather know to much than not enough. It definately won't insult me.

Date: March 20, 2005 01:43PM

There's just one other thing before I try the above. Maybe I should not have let the
Norton stay on here overnight. After turning the computer back on my CCF 20 PR2
is messed up. Every time it is opened before opening it will ask for around 8 - 10
bookmarks, etc. I click yes to all of them every time but it still opens with most of
the browser missing. If I click no to all of them even more of the browser is missing.
Ideas anyone?

Date: March 20, 2005 01:48PM

P.S. to the above. I haven't tried many of my other K-Meleon browsers this morning but so far the
other ones I have tried look okay

Date: March 20, 2005 03:08PM

Yes here is yet another note to add to those above. I just reinstalled CCF 20 PR 2 and it works great again (so far). Also I forgot to mention earlier that when the
Norton was installed it disposed of my SSI. This happened just after installation and nothing else. SSI or System Spyware Interrogator is made by Trisnap Technologies.
It is an online spyware scanner. I've been using it over a year and I have always
removed everything that it has suggested. It won't detect most of what Ad Aware,
Spybot, etc. will but it finds many spyware programs that those 2 don't. Does
anyone know if I should be using it? Their website is spywaredata.com. Also anyone
know about Spywarescanner a/k/a Bazooka made by Kephyr.com.
Thanks

Posted by: Old Win 98er
Date: June 29, 2006 04:03PM

In this thread it recommends using a free trial of Norton Utilities
to add needed DLL to Win 98.
Believe I have tried everything on the Norton website.
Most say they will work on Win 98.
None will.
Whenever trying to install they say you need Win 2000, etc.
Does anyone have ideas?
Perhaps something from Mcfee?

Posted by: kko
Date: June 29, 2006 04:41PM

In this thread it recommends using a free trial of Norton Utilities to add needed DLL to Win 98.

No, not to Win98, to Win2k!

For Win9X you have to install VC6RedistSetup.exe (as it's mentioned in this thread).

Perhaps read a bit more carefully?

i will like to try your tuneup utilities for a month
Posted by: billy
Date: March 08, 2007 11:24AM

Old Win 98er
In this thread it recommends using a free trial of Norton Utilities
to add needed DLL to Win 98.
Believe I have tried everything on the Norton website.
Most say they will work on Win 98.
None will.
Whenever trying to install they say you need Win 2000, etc.
Does anyone have ideas?
Perhaps something from Mcfee?

Re: i will like to try your tuneup utilities for a month
Date: March 08, 2007 11:25AM

yes i will love to give a try

Re: i will like to try your tuneup utilities for a month
Date: March 08, 2007 11:27AM

no ansear