General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Firefox-like shortcuts + search bar
Posted by: Clockhand
Date: October 13, 2010 02:05PM

Hi,

I am wondering if someone can tell me where I can get plugin to show search bar.

Also, is there a macro or plugin to do following shortcut from firefox?
type url and alt+enter -> open in new tab

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Firefox-like shortcuts + search bar
Posted by: guest
Date: October 13, 2010 02:50PM
Posted by: siria
Date: October 13, 2010 06:30PM

Clockhand
Also, is there a macro or plugin to do following shortcut from firefox?
type url and alt+enter -> open in new tab

User shortcuts are defined in your profile folder:
Edit > Configuration > Accelerators

Add this text and save:
ALT VK_RETURN = macros(Go_New)

You can find such command names and the default shortcuts here:
http://kmeleon.110mb.com/lizard/commands.html

Personally I use the setting to open ALL typed URLs in new page by default:
Edit > Preferences (F2)
Browsing: Open "Typed URLs" in a new tab smiling smiley

(KM folks, that ALT+Return would IMHO make a nice default shortcut, what do you think..? )

Do you know you can also search from the URL bar?
Type into it the search term and click the search button (globe).
Or click Ctrl+G
Or right-click the search button to choose another search engine.

Or right-click the search button, click "Configure", and at the bottom check this:
"When a typed URL failed to load, automatically consult a search engine"
That means you can type your search terms into URL bar and hit enter, that's all. But must say the latter works best if there are multiple words in the bar, since for single ones KM first tries to find it as a domain, in that case it's faster to use one of the other methods above.

Or define a nickname for a search engine in your bookmarks or hotlist.
E.g. this would be bookmark for google-search:
http://www.google.com/search?q=%s
Give it a nick, e.g. "g"
Now you can type "g blabla" and you will see the google search results for word blabla ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2010 06:39PM by siria.

Posted by: guenter
Date: October 13, 2010 07:03PM

Search Bar http://kmext.sourceforge.net/kplug.htm

How to install an extension? http://kmext.sourceforge.net/help.htm

Absolut!

& siria's ideas 2 as alternatives - IMHO.

Cave: Some Firefox 3-4 options rely on sqlite databank - they are not possible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2010 07:04PM by guenter.

Posted by: White Wolf Vodka
Date: November 06, 2010 10:15AM

siria
Or right-click the search button, click "Configure", and at the bottom check this:
That means you can type your search terms into URL bar and hit enter, that's all.

Hi, I'm trying to configure the search button to exactly what you said, but when I right-click the search button (by which you mean the "globe", I hope) there is no "Configure."

I'm using K-Meleon 1.5.4, is that the problem?

I have another question, when I use Ctrl+G and the "Search(Google) Enter search query:" prompt appears, is there a way I can configure that to when I type my search terms and hit enter, it will automatically search for it in another tab?

Oh, I'm a noob. Thanks in advance. :]

Date: November 06, 2010 11:16AM

White Wolf Vodka
when I right-click the search button (by which you mean the "globe", I hope) there is no "Configure."

Okay, now I'm shocked!! :O
Because I've just checked and you're right, that menu version is only *prepared* in the default skins config, but not enabled by default yet! Not even in 1.6preBeta.
Can't understand why?? Most people will never find this other menu with the config door sad smiley Perhaps in the beginning (years ago) that extended menu was something experimental yet, or may had to do with missing translations, and later was just forgotten to make the better version the default one...?
Generally I think we should put as many option menus on right-click as we can, but just my personal opinion :cool:

But well, back to Vodka:
You can access that options menu also the complicated way per
Edit > Preferences > Browsing > Finding Websites

But I'd suggest that you change your globe context menu yourself to the newer version:
Edit > Configuration > Toolbars
This opens a config file, which is in simple text format, and *intended* for user customization.
Search for "search button" and you'll find those lines:

# EITHER:
macros(Search)|_Search_Engines
# OR:
# macros(Search)|&Web Search

The # is a comment sign, meaning it disables a line.
The words at the right side of | signs are the menu names (for right-click)
So by default the first menu version is used in your default skin, obviously the simple one without config entry.
Now add a # to that line to disable it, and instead remove the # from the second menu version:
"&Web Search" contains the config entry.

That will give you the config lines after the next restart:

White Wolf Vodka
I have another question, when I use Ctrl+G and the "Search(Google) Enter search query:" prompt appears, is there a way I can configure that to when I type my search terms and hit enter, it will automatically search for it in another tab?

Good question... :cool: No idea grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2010 11:30AM by siria.

Date: November 06, 2010 12:17PM

siria
White Wolf Vodka
when I right-click the search button (by which you mean the "globe", I hope) there is no "Configure."

Generally I think we should put as many option menus on right-click as we can, but just my personal opinion :cool:

I whole-heartedly agree. :]

But well, back to Vodka:
I'd suggest that you change your globe context menu yourself to the newer version:
This opens a config file, which is in simple text format, and *intended* for user customization.

# EITHER:
# OR:

So by default the first menu version is used in your default skin, obviously the simple one without config entry.
Now add a # to that line to disable it, and instead remove the # from the second menu version:

Omfg, thank-you! xD

White Wolf Vodka

Good question... :cool:

Hah, thanks.

No idea grinning smiley

Lol, hope this either gets implemented in the stable-latest version or there's a fix for it for all existing versions.

Date: November 06, 2010 12:50PM

Oh, doesn't mean much if just *I* don't know something, am just a normal user (okay slightly advanced :coolsmiling smiley and there are still lots of things I don't know yet about this browser! It's full of surprises, see that thread http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,97481 grinning smiley

Posted by: jsnj
Date: November 06, 2010 05:26PM

White Wolf Vodka
siria
That means you can type your search terms into URL bar and hit enter, that's all.

Hi, I'm trying to configure the search button to exactly what you said, but when I right-click the search button (by which you mean the "globe", I hope) there is no "Configure."

I'm using K-Meleon 1.5.4, is that the problem?

Oh, I'm a noob. Thanks in advance. :]

As far as opening the search results in a new page, search prompt behavior is in sync with URL bar behavior. If you've configured typed URLs to open in a new tab, search prompt results will too. Same for selected text search results. F2 - Browsing - General. They are in sync because you can enter your search terms directly into the URL bar first and then press the search button(or Ctrl+G). You may wanna try Search+.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2010 05:32PM by jsnj.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: November 06, 2010 06:13PM

@ White Wolf Vodka

The search button does not have a configure option. You can reach that option by using TOOLS - WEB SEARCH. The configure option appears there.

Posted by: desga2
Date: November 06, 2010 09:03PM

White Wolf Vodka

As JamesD post above:
JamesD
The search button does not have a configure option. You can reach that option by using TOOLS - WEB SEARCH. The configure option appears there.

I think this is the reason to not include it in right click menu.
But you have the option to include it from toolbars configuration file, as siria post above, only changing the commented line:

But well, back to Vodka:
I'd suggest that you change your globe context menu yourself to the newer version:

# EITHER:
# OR:

White Wolf Vodka

I'm studying if I can to add an option for this in KM 1.6 Beta.
All these implementations of last minute and some problems are delaying the release of KM 1.6 Beta.
Sorry, I'm a little more busy what I thought when I made the last announcement.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: November 06, 2010 09:59PM

desga2

Oh I know that feeling :cool: grinning smiley And I know the stress and how unexpected new probs seem to pop up all the time as soon as others are solved...
But there will probably follow a beta2 or more, so I wouldn't insist to squeeze all that last minute stuff in beta1 too (although it would be nice of course and I'd very much love to have that stuff in the final version, and I know I'm guilty of requesting such stuff all the time myself ;-) smiling smiley But guess at the moment it's far more urgent to finally get a decent gecko1.9 developer version on the download page. Like your CP4, that was really a huge step forward and is around for quite awhile already, no idea why it never replaced the rather buggy version "a4" there. CP4 works quite well, IMHO well enough to easily bridge some more weeks without worrying if you feel the current improvements need more time to be ready to publish... No idea who decides such stuff, Dorian? But perhaps you're getting beta1 finished tomorrow already, who knows ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2010 10:03PM by siria.

Date: November 06, 2010 11:28PM

@ White Wolf Vodka

Seems to me that if I have "Typed URLs" set to open in a new tab then if I use Control + G, the search results for the item I typed are displayed in a new tab. Of course this means all typed URLs are opened in a new tab.

Date: November 07, 2010 11:52AM

The Search+ is great.

The "Learning new stuff every day..." thread was very cool.

Thank you everyone for the speedy and helpful responses. All is well now. grinning smiley

Posted by: ndebord
Date: November 08, 2010 12:00AM

Desga2,

You're doing great... you're doing the work, so you get to decide what goes in and where to stop and hold off until the next beta. Just look at FF! They're up to what? Beta 7?

As for the configure thing. The old ways works great, but so too does this right click option. My opinion? IF it doesn't break any other settings, I would vote for it being in the KM 1.6 beta. I installed it in the toolbar config for KM 1.5.4 and like having the option to play with my search options either from the Main Menu Tools or from the little search icon on the top toolbar.

<g>

N

Date: November 09, 2010 09:35PM

desga2

White Wolf Vodka

I'm studying if I can to add an option for this in KM 1.6 Beta.
All these implementations of last minute and some problems are delaying the release of KM 1.6 Beta.

I have developed an interim solution to the request that the user be able to direct the results of typed queries. Desga2 has indicated to me that due the press of current work, he would be unable to add this to the coming beta version.

This is a temporary solution only. I do not have the skills to make changes to the preferences panels. Therefore the menu that is presented to the user is found under TOOLS – WEB SEARCH. It will be below the current item CONFIGURE and will appear as DISPLAY RESULTS IN…

In order to make this work; it was necessary to modify the ‘main.kmm’ file for K-Meleon. One line of code was changed ( line 269 ) and several lines ( 8) were added at the bottom of the file.

Since this system replaces the main.kmm file, you are advised to make a backup of the file before installing the new one.

The 7z file named STQRLocation should be extracted to your K-Meleon macro folder -- \k-meleon\macros. You will get a warning about replacing the current main.kmm with the new one. Answer yes to that. Two files, main.kmm and STQRLocation.kmm, will be installed.

STQRLocation.kmm automatically create a default of ‘open in the current window’ the first time KM is started.

IMPORTANT! I do not think this is compabible with Search+.

STQRLocation.7z at http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1522294/STQRLocation.7z

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2010 06:06PM by jsnj.

Date: November 09, 2010 09:54PM

Sorry haven't tried it yet, just a little side-note: It's not necessary to overwrite the whole main file, you can just as well include all sub-macros in the other kmm-file all together. Have done that with another macro some time ago, no prob ;-)

Date: November 09, 2010 11:16PM

@ siria

That is a good suggestion, but I don't think it will work for this project. A part of main.kmm is called from search.kmm. I don't see a way to re-direct that call.

Date: November 09, 2010 11:52PM

I mean to add just your few changed or new lines to the other kmm, that is, only the 4+8 lines of the two submacros, and leave the native file native ;-) It works amazingly in my other macro, no need for redirecting anything. Guess we all know the "Oh it's that simple?!" effect in KM sometimes, and that was one of those moments for me grinning smiley Well, no guarantee of course, but can't harm testing...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2010 12:01AM by siria.

Date: November 10, 2010 12:49AM

@ siria

Take a look at it and see if your idea could work. I am always open to finding a better way. The macro that I added is only the user interface. All the functioning part of directing the query results is in the nine lines of code in main.kmm. STQRLocation.kmm will not be needed once desga2 has time to update the preferences panels.

Date: November 11, 2010 01:30PM

I have put a new version of main.kmm in the 7z file at http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1522294/STQRLocation.7z

I found there was an error in the original main.kmm file. By original, I mean the one which is shipped with KM. In working on the upgrade for controlling the location of the search results display, I found an error in the current main.kmm file. I wondered what would happen if someone selected to display their results in a tab and later disabled tabs. In that case they would get no results at all. I looked to see how the current main.kmm handled the situation for searches on selected text. They would get no results. The situation was not handled.

I have made changes which fix the code for both selected text searches and for the typed text searches.

The change I made for selected text searches is in lines 283-284. The change for typed text searches is in lines 291-292. The new code I wrote for typed text searches is in lines 286-293 with a modified line at 269.

While I was working on the main.kmm file, I went ahead and recalibrated some line numbers in the table of contents.

Posted by: jsnj
Date: November 12, 2010 03:22AM

JamesD
IMPORTANT! I do not think this is compabible with Search+.

_STQRLocation_BuildMenu {
setmenu(_Search_Config,macro,"Display results in...","_STQRLocation_RunCode");

setmenu("Search &Options",macro,"Configure Typed Search...","_STQRLocation_RunCode");

# set the default - should only run once
$_STQRLocation_FC = getpref(STRING,"kmeleon.searchtyped.openurl");
if($_STQRLocation_FC=="") { setpref(STRING,"kmeleon.searchtyped.openurl","open"); }
}

Date: November 12, 2010 01:47PM

@ jsnj

I have just updated STQRLocation.7z. Thanks for the information.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1522294/STQRLocation.7z

Date: November 14, 2010 06:14PM

Warning -

Do not use the method of replacing the main.kmm file for the new 1.6 Beta version. That version has additional information in the main.kmm file.
Instead, you must edit the file in place and make the changes that I made to main.kmm.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.