General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Google Gears support?
Posted by: BN
Date: February 05, 2009 07:41PM

Hi there everyone,

I just tried installing google gears for k-meleon and it just plain didn't work. It installed gears but k-meleon is picking it up or using it. Any thoughts?

Thanks
BN

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Google Gears support?
Posted by: disrupted
Date: February 05, 2009 10:41PM

no idea how gears work and what they are..on the site it sez for ff and ie, i'll try the ff version and see if it can work on km.. stay tuned

Date: February 06, 2009 12:19AM

i don't know if this will work.. try it anyways: (700kb)
http://kmeleon.holaservers.com/disrupted/KMgooglegears.7z
- rightclick save target as: extract in kmeleon's install folder

what exactly does a google gear do? can you provide a test page

edit: also note, that gears is supposedly for firefox and ie only..so websites will expect that, try changing useragent to firefox when accessing the gears sites
tools menu>user agent>firefox

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2009 12:22AM by disrupted.

Posted by: guenter
Date: February 06, 2009 02:06AM

BN
Any thoughts?

Google does not support K-Meleon. But maybe disrupted idea can help.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2009 02:07AM by guenter.

Date: February 06, 2009 01:17PM

Call me crazy, but what exactly is in the file you posted?

I'm new here so don't quite trust things people tell me to install without knowing what it is smiling smiley

And gears provides offline databases for online websites - so for example, gmail is now available offline through your browser using Gears (it stores the last 2 weeks worth of emails locally, ques emails for sending when you go online, etc). For a better explanation read http://gears.google.com or http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/01/27/gmail-goes-offline-with-google-gears/

Thanks!

BN

Date: February 06, 2009 05:16PM

BN

I'm new here so don't quite trust things people tell me to install without knowing what it is smiling smiley

You wanted an adaption of Google gears?

We are all here with nicks, true. smiling smiley

Do a search by (nick) name.

You virus scan everything U download anyway. I do anyway grinning smiley

? Do You really think a stranger knows enough ?

Date: February 06, 2009 05:58PM

guenter
BN

You wanted an adaption of Google gears?

We are all here with nicks, true. smiling smiley

Do a search by (nick) name.

You virus scan everything U download anyway. I do anyway grinning smiley

? Do You really think a stranger knows enough ?

don't get me wrong, I don't want to insult someone, but when given a link to an unknown program from someone I just met on the internet is like drinking the coolaid from a guy in a back alley...just being careful smiling smiley

Date: February 06, 2009 10:03PM

An unknown person's post with a link is checked. It would not survive very long, if smiling smiley

I took for granted that You knew that a post commented by a moderator or a post by a constant visitor should be ok. "Do a search by name" grinning smiley
You scan files anyhow. Because even a trusted source can be compromised.

BTW. the file-server delivers a format that cannot be opened from my machine.
So my guess: it is the original software and a K-Meleon macro to start it.

I sit at another PC - but I think even a Netscape plugin for that software exists.
You would install Firefox extension and look for ./plugins in extensions or ./plugins.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2009 10:10PM by guenter.

Date: February 06, 2009 11:53PM

oh no virus.. it's just(what i believe) are the proper files for gears to work from kmeleon.
i downloaded the firefox extension setup from google which ofcourse was only a downloader for the actual files and oddly enough; even though i opted for firefox gear, google decided to download and install both ff and ie versions!

i extracted what i assumed to be the ff required parts. chrome/components and npplugin.dll(which i don't think is that important because it's an updater).

i searched for any page to test but couldn't find any and then i did a registry restore to remove whatever shit google most probably added so i don't think i can test it now because even though the files seem independent, i think they are linked to crucial google registry keys to make it work. it might work on your system because you already have gears installed but i doubt it.(too many ff overlay xuls)

the 7z package contains all actual gear files:
a chrome some components and a plugin ..all i did was a harmless manifest smiling smiley

but in all honesty, if the best gears can do is store mail on your local hd..wouldn't an email client be a better idea tongue sticking out smiley
you know googlemail does support smtp and pop3, you just have to enable it in gmail settings

Date: February 07, 2009 02:21PM

disrupted
oh no virus.. it's just(what i believe) are the proper files for gears to work from kmeleon.
i downloaded the firefox extension setup from google which ofcourse was only a downloader for the actual files and oddly enough; even though i opted for firefox gear, google decided to download and install both ff and ie versions!

i extracted what i assumed to be the ff required parts. chrome/components and npplugin.dll(which i don't think is that important because it's an updater).

i searched for any page to test but couldn't find any and then i did a registry restore to remove whatever shit google most probably added so i don't think i can test it now because even though the files seem independent, i think they are linked to crucial google registry keys to make it work. it might work on your system because you already have gears installed but i doubt it.(too many ff overlay xuls)

the 7z package contains all actual gear files:
a chrome some components and a plugin ..all i did was a harmless manifest smiling smiley
Thanks for explaining it to me, I feel a lot better at least knowing what it's supposed to be now smiling smiley

but in all honesty, if the best gears can do is store mail on your local hd..wouldn't an email client be a better idea tongue sticking out smiley
you know googlemail does support smtp and pop3, you just have to enable it in gmail settings
LOL. I work on a fairly unreliable connection so get lots of benefits from being able to work offline, but at the same time love to leverage the power and convenience of online webmail. Gears also gives google docs offline access (making it an actually decent replacement for Word for basic stuff) and has been used to greatly extend the power, speed and flexibility of various other web apps.

Anyhoo, I'll let you know how things work out smiling smiley

Date: February 07, 2009 02:31PM

disrupted
i don't know if this will work.. try it anyways: (700kb)
http://kmeleon.holaservers.com/disrupted/KMgooglegears.7z
- rightclick save target as: extract in kmeleon's install folder

what exactly does a google gear do? can you provide a test page

edit: also note, that gears is supposedly for firefox and ie only..so websites will expect that, try changing useragent to firefox when accessing the gears sites
tools menu>user agent>firefox

Nope, didn't work.

I tried it with both default and FF useragent strings - it tells me I'm not supported with default and just keeps asking me to install with ff.

Ah well, was worth a try smiling smiley

Thanks

Date: February 07, 2009 06:22PM

Try with deleted K-Meleon value of Pref vendor - that is the only give away I know.

Date: February 07, 2009 10:04PM

last resort try gunter's suggestion.. open about:config (edit>configuration>browser configuration..filter by vendor.. change value for k-meleon to firefox value for km version 1.5.2 to 2.0

it's still unlikely to work because this google gear thing relies on so much xul overlays and registered services for firefox.

here's another work around which is more likely ro work.. first install gears for ie. probably already installed because it seems google installs it for both browsers automatically.. just check if gears works in internet explorer..if it does..go to jujuland's extensions page:
http://pagesperso-orange.fr/jujuland46/JujuLand/KMES/KMES-Download.html

download an install IEtab extension or directly from this link:
http://pagesperso-orange.fr/jujuland46/JujuLand/KMES/KMES193_IEtab.zip

after installing ietab extension, download this macro:
http://necb.bizhat.com/kmeleon/ietab.kmm
and save in kmeleon macros folder to replace juju's macro(it's bit outdated and has commands for km 1.1.x and some might not work for km 1.5.

now go to user agen, select custom and enter this value:
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; SPINWAY.COM; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727)

now when you want to use a link or webpage to open using ie engine , just right click and select open in ietab.. this will make km some sort of an ieshell for that particular website only and enabling gears to work through it just as working in ie.. the advantage is that you can still use kmeleon and won't need to launch a second browser.

test it out with all your google gears sites..hopefully it will work just fine.

for additional support in opening external links(from a bookmark-desktop shortcut etc) directly in ietab, check this post:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,88552

Date: February 07, 2009 10:06PM

guenter
Try with deleted K-Meleon value of Pref vendor - that is the only give away I know.

How do I do this?? I don't know what a Pref vendor is. Sorry :s

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.