General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Pages: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415Next
Current Page: 14 of 15
Re: Anyone still using kmeleon?
Posted by: panzer
Date: January 07, 2021 08:13PM

Matera the Mad
Wow. Long time since I've been here. KM was my favorite browser for many years. Slow dev and website apartheid drove me to Pale Moon - and switching to Linux has kept that permanent. I've missed it, though. The configurability, features like the Hotlinks; there's nothinglike it.

Today I happened to wander into the forum, and I discovered KM-goanna. I am running it right now, in Wine, and it's amazing. I've never seen such speed. Only crashed it once so far. Of course there are a lot of bloated websites that don't play so well with it. The Internet is a mucking fess these days and plays havoc with anything outside the Big Three.

So, there is life in the old lizard yet.

I remember you, actually.

Welcome back. I hope you are going to stick around.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: HAVOC
Date: January 22, 2021 02:14PM

Hi!!!

Posted by: HAVOC
Date: January 22, 2021 02:15PM

Hi!!! i still use itgrinning smiley

Posted by: Mario
Date: February 01, 2021 10:45PM

Hi everyone. Happy user !!! thanks to all people they did it

Posted by: lifeguardlarry
Date: April 10, 2021 06:35PM

I just installed K-Meleon to improve performance of my old laptops when connecting to dialup...which is all I have in my remote rural location. It worked beautifully...in some ways. Blazing fast when using Google or connecting to Mozilla or similar pages. But unable to connect to most other pages - can't connect to Wikipedia - with unpredictable exceptions. So I use K-Meleon for Google and then copy page URLS and paste them into my other browser - Firefox ESR 52.0. Works fine.

I tried all 7 of the "light" browsers recommended in the tech journals. Disappointing shit, mostly. Midori sounded great...but it doesn't exist...except in someone's imagination. The worst was the Chinese browser Maxtheon, boasting of huge popularity in China and the newest technogy. In reality its just a big billboard with endless and endlessly overwhelming advertising. Times square stuff...or what you see in dystopian sci-fi movies.

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: April 10, 2021 08:47PM

lifeguardlarry
But unable to connect to most other pages - can't connect to Wikipedia - with unpredictable exceptions. So I use K-Meleon for Google and then copy page URLS and paste them into my other browser - Firefox ESR 52.0. Works fine.

That sounds like a version issue, maybe by old ciphers support. Try the latest (75.1 I'm thinking by your ESR hint Windows XP SP2) compatible with your OS.

Date: April 10, 2021 11:13PM

Worse; Windows Vista SP1 Premium Home edition. Luckily, "ixplore" is terminally damaged so its just a placeholder. Ne way to remove factory installed SP1. None of the other versions of K-Meleon looked suitable. But I'm open to recommendations.
I guess there might be a way to install Windows XP but its more trouble than its worth.

Date: April 11, 2021 03:15PM

lifeguardlarry
Worse; Windows Vista SP1 Premium Home edition. Luckily, "ixplore" is terminally damaged so its just a placeholder. Ne way to remove factory installed SP1. None of the other versions of K-Meleon looked suitable. But I'm open to recommendations.
I guess there might be a way to install Windows XP but its more trouble than its worth.

Worse, no, better.

There is not reason to use an old version of K-meleon then, if that is your issue. And don't go back to an older OS winking smiley God, no winking smiley (I just thought you were using an older OS version, by your Firefox ESR 52 usage)

Try the latest build on Goanna engine and look if that helps with your websites problems:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?19,154431

(Remember to make backups of your current profile and any other backup you can think up before using a new version)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2021 03:16PM by JohnHell.

Date: April 11, 2021 08:56PM

I found the time to read a few posts on this thread and the release notes for 75.1....so I downloaded and installed it.
Works perfectly! and satisfies my simple needs; browsing and searching. Opens all pages I've tried - text and photos.
Best of all; it loads faster on dialup than Firefox does on broadband....which means it is potentially a real alternative to satellite Internet.
What if rural folk don't have to deal with the crooks who supply it? I'm going to pass this on to my Congressman.
Of course, most folks out here are not computer savvy so someone would have to help them.
More later.

Thanks, lifeguardlarry

Date: April 11, 2021 11:54PM

lifeguardlarry
Opens all pages I've tried - text and photos.
Best of all; it loads faster on dialup than Firefox does on broadband....which means it is potentially a real alternative to satellite Internet.

Don't mix load or rendering speed with internet speed/broadband required.

K-meleon and Firefox are built differently (even when they share the engine and version engine), and so behave different on page rendering and general performance.

What I'm trying to say is that sites serve more data as time passes (what a few years ago was X KB, today might 2X Kcool smiley and drop satellite connection, as expensive it is, might also be a bad idea in X time too. Also it depends of the patience of the Internet user to wait sites load :-) Dial-up, if we are talking about 56kbits/s, could be veeeeery slow to today's Internet broadband requirements.

Just a note to think about too smiling smiley

Date: April 12, 2021 02:22AM

I'm sure that, a few years hence, dial-up will be completely unusable. It's also possible that in the same period satellite Internet will expand dramatically. But, right now - thanks to K-Meleon - pages load much faster on dial-up than they do on broadband using Firefox. And dial-up is much cheaper than satellite.
I'm aware that I'm generalizing, ignoring complexity...but, if I'm right, that's worth quite a bit, especially to those who have few choices and little money...so I'm going to pass this on to my Congressman. He's aware that satellite companies are misusing government subsidies (and would like to offer alternatives). So are the courts. Let them sort it out.

On a more personal not. I have some technical questions for you if you're open to them.

Thanks, lifeguardlarry

Posted by: roytam1
Date: April 12, 2021 02:40AM

JohnHell
lifeguardlarry
Opens all pages I've tried - text and photos.

Don't mix load or rendering speed with internet speed/broadband required.

K-meleon and Firefox are built differently (even when they share the engine and version engine), and so behave different on page rendering and general performance.

What I'm trying to say is that sites serve more data as time passes (what a few years ago was X KB, today might 2X Kcool smiley and drop satellite connection, as expensive it is, might also be a bad idea in X time too. Also it depends of the patience of the Internet user to wait sites load :-) Dial-up, if we are talking about 56kbits/s, could be veeeeery slow to today's Internet broadband requirements.

Just a note to think about too smiling smiley
you may just replace satellite connection with starlink with 200Mbps speed.

Posted by: siria
Date: April 12, 2021 05:33AM

@lifeguardlarry
You're using KM75.1 now? That's an ancient version, meanwhile partly unstable just due to old age, lots of sites are said to not load okay anymore.
Even for roytam's most current updated fork KMG76.4.3 (weekly updates) I keep reading in forums that more and more mainstream sites start breaking.
So am rather wondering now, which version you had installed first? And why such an old one, where downloaded?

As for questions, that's okay, but would be better in another topic. Can be a new one in General, or an existing similar newbie topic.
The FAQ page also contains some important tips for new users. Make sure to read wiki pages only in english, other languages are decades old outdated ;-)

(sig) New unofficial K-Meleon 76.4 (KMG76.4) available, in own subforum.
Based on Goanna engine, called 'test' builds forever but more stable as 75.1 acc. forum members. It's 1-2 generations ahead of predecessor KM76RC-2016
K-Meleon FAQ (link missing in forum sidebar)
Tips&Tricks - Learning new stuff every day
New to K-Meleon? What do you like? What not?

Date: April 12, 2021 05:16PM

A BRIEF search indicates starlink is currently "in development", not currently "in existance". But thanks for the tip. I'll certainly follow it carefully.

Another BRIEF search reveals no download link or release notes for 76.3. I can't tell whether it would work with Windows Vista SP1...which is what my Gateway M series laptop uses.

Thanks,
Lifeguardlarry

P.S. You guys are clearly very gifted programmers. Why work so hard on a niche project with few users?

Date: April 12, 2021 11:03PM

lifeguardlarry
A BRIEF search indicates starlink is currently "in development", not currently "in existance". But thanks for the tip. I'll certainly follow it carefully.

It exists. They are still launching satellites, but it is working. It doesn't cover all the globe yet, and so it isn't available for everyone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0Itx_TUOKA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPrrx4pM-lY

lifeguardlarry
Another BRIEF search reveals no download link or release notes for 76.3. I can't tell whether it would work with Windows Vista SP1...which is what my Gateway M series laptop uses.

Any 76.x, Windows XP SP3 and above:
The download link is the first link.

It is a 7-zip file to be decompressed on your system.

lifeguardlarry
Why work so hard on a niche project with few users?

As the home page tells it is "The Browser You Control" and no all people wants that. It requires a little learn curve. Apart it, it has been in hiatus for long time and that makes people get away from a browser that can't get up-to-date as fast as the web requests nowadays and the living web standards imposed by few companies. That makes it for a niche of people that make the most of its capabilities and flaws.

For further questions, as suggested, open a new thread and/or read the forum smiling smiley I don't dare to split this thread confused smiley (don't know where)

Date: April 12, 2021 11:35PM

I will certainly use starlink if I can...and pass the info to my Congressman if he shows any interest.

75.1 continues to work PERFECTLY!(literally) for me....so I'll wait until 76.4 is more developed before trying it.

I seem to be the only niche player in my generation (all the others are content with complaining endlessly about their satellite internet providers).
I'm thrilled you exist. Your efforts are a source of great entertainment for me.

Lifeguardlarry

Date: April 13, 2021 01:16AM

lifeguardlarry
75.1 continues to work PERFECTLY!(literally) for me...

If it works for you, who am I to contradict you, as I'm using 75.0 XD And for my needs works.

But for average users, and to avoid complains on sites not loading being rendered correctly, the recommendation is that it is better to go to the latest, as the latest has the latest web rendering engine version.

lifeguardlarry
so I'll wait until 76.4 is more developed before trying it.

Have in mind that K-meleon itself, that it is a shell for the web rendering engine, isn't being developed at the moment. The 76.4 Goanna engine build is, and should be considered, stable as long as the continuous engine updates don't give troubles. Sometimes happens, but it is as easy as go back to the previous version. The profile can always backed-up and used on either versions following the hints given on this forum smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2021 01:17AM by JohnHell.

Posted by: 4td8s
Date: April 23, 2021 11:38AM

lifeguardlarry
I can't tell whether it would work with Windows Vista SP1...which is what my Gateway M series laptop uses.

why are you using Vista at SP1 level? shouldn't you update Vista to SP2?

Posted by: mvillon14
Date: May 17, 2021 04:59PM

Buenas , soy de argentina me gusta mucho el navegador este, quisiera saber xq con este o palemoon anda bien los videos cuando se vuelve al navegador . en cambio los actuales se frezza y despues vuelve a andar bien lo que es 4k , desde ya gracias

Date: May 17, 2021 08:10PM

Ese tema, si estás usando la última build Goanna, es mejor que lo plantees en el siguiente tema, no en este que estás ahora:

o en el subforo, si es otra build (fecha y número de versión):
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/list.php?19

Hay otros usuarios que han planteado problemas similares con las últimas versiones al reproducir vídeos (aunque no he entendido bien a qué te referías, para ser sincero tongue sticking out smiley).

No pasa nada si pones el mensaje en español, como aquí, pero no estaría mal que añadieras la traducción al inglés, aunque fuera con un traductor online.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2021 08:12PM by JohnHell.

Date: June 06, 2021 12:25AM

I am, and if I can't fix this current cock-up of Mozilla, wrecked my userChrome.css, with the tabs below the navigation bar, to hell, then I want to make K-Meleon my daily driver
So what is the best tool to migrate all my FF logins/passwords to KM? You never moved them, or you kept the choice up to the users. Whomever said tabs on top above the menu bar needs their collective butts kicked.

Posted by: tranduong1110
Date: June 18, 2021 01:29PM

Anyone using K-Meleon these days?

Also can u make Youtube more stable and Discord usable? My specs is just dumb

Posted by: thinkpadder
Date: July 01, 2021 12:03PM

I'm using the 76.4.3 (binary date 17.April.2021) on a 1999 make PC with Pentium II 400Mhz and it works perfectly. Recommended.

Posted by: WasiFH
Date: October 05, 2021 02:48AM

Hi,
I have always been using KM. Currently I have both Goanna version and the Original Version 75.1 both installed. I l1ke the original one, because of low memory footprints.
The recent Goanna disappointed me because it closes / crashes suddenly and unexpectedly.
The 75.1 KM never crashes, supports all of its extensions and I love it. The reason I am crying here is because internet is changing, sites are changing and we need a so called modern browser, though i cant really get what they meant by a modern browser.
How can we call Doria and other dev back? I miss the m and I miss the updates.
JohHell can you call him back?
I till don't know what were the causes someone could throw out the development of such a nice and user friendly browser?

I wish KM original one day become "modern" again.

Date: October 05, 2021 01:34PM

WasiFH
though i cant really get what they meant by a modern browser

A browser that doesn't follow the latest standard base, HTML5, but the ever updated living standard, that has become the standard.

And to be more precise, browsers that support dynamic presentations over functionality and content first.

WasiFH
How can we call Dorian and other dev back? I miss the m and I miss the updates.
JohHell can you call him back?

What make you think I haven't already? winking smiley

The last time I didn't get silence as a response was loooong ago.

And the reply to other users has been the same.

In fact, he has a way more important ringing bell on his door, for what I'll made an announcement post about it in the upcoming days (stay tuned to the forum) and hasn't answered to its calling yet.

At this point we should even consider that he may have died due COVID-19 by Sars-cov-2 pandemic, or even by natural causes (I've seen a similar case in another open source project recently).

The other developers vanished back fifteen years or so.

WasiFH
I till don't know what were the causes someone could throw out the development of such a nice and user friendly browser?

Lost the code base after one of his SSDs died started that development halt.

But the latest available code is at SourceForge.

Anyone, interested on developing on a low footprint software, and backward compatible (please), can fork it on GitHub or another SourceForge project.

In regards this, as George Hall told a few months back (or someone else, can't find the post), I'm not the one with the required knowledge to achieve such thing and I don't have the time or the means to do, anyway. I barely understand JavaScript (despite what some people around here think), less C++ and all related topics.

As you point out, K-meleon itself is stable, but roytam, as he already told a few days back, does his best to gluing the Goanna build together. The problem is not the lack of development on K-meleon, but the link between the engine and the shell.

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2021 06:29PM by JohnHell.

Posted by: Chris Chiesa
Date: November 03, 2021 02:19PM

Oh my, yes, I "still" use K-Meleon. I'm on an ancient 32-bit Windows XP laptop. I used to use Firefox, but it eventually slowed down (not sure why) to the point where just launching it brings the machine to a virtual halt: unusable. Google stopped supporting XP years ago, so Chrome has self-refused to update to the last thirty or more major versions, and things are starting not to work (anything using TLS3 for SSH security doesn't open; recently there's some strange complaint about the system clock), so: increasingly unusable. I discovered K-Meleon a year or so ago while looking for something that worked better, and it DOES. Thus far, it will still open everything, even when Chrome won't. So, I'm actually using K-Meleon MORE AND MORE as time goes on, and I sure don't want it to go away!

I'm not sure what version I'm using, though; Help -> About doesn't seem to display version info in an obvious way, as I'm accustomed to with other Windows applications. There's a real long version string listing a whole bunch of things. It does END with "K-Meleon/76.2.1," though; is THAT the K-Meleon version I should cite, when and if need be?

Date: November 03, 2021 09:20PM

Chris Chiesa
I'm not sure what version I'm using, though; Help -> About doesn't seem to display version info in an obvious way, as I'm accustomed to with other Windows applications. There's a real long version string listing a whole bunch of things. It does END with "K-Meleon/76.2.1," though; is THAT the K-Meleon version I should cite, when and if need be?

It is a good start, that full string.

There is some macro extension somewhere in the Extensions subforum that reports more information. If I'm not wrong was made by Siria.

Posted by: foliator
Date: December 27, 2021 05:26PM

Regarding browsers that break various websites, I've found that the last Gecko version of KM kept reporting invalid certificates on many of the sites I visited frequently, most notably my online banking site and Gmail, which are very secure. The latest Goanna version of KM does not break a single site that I visit. Actually, neither does TheWorld 7, which is based on an ancient version of Chrome.

So far, the only other browser that makes it difficult or impossible for me to access some sites is -- get this! -- the latest version of Chrome (96), which I recently tried out of curiosity (read "stupidity" tongue sticking out smiley). Fortunately I used a portable version and was able to wipe it off my hard drive. It kept on giving me the same kind of security warnings for many different sites, and offered no way to add permanent exceptions for sites I trusted. Instead, it wouldn't allow access unless I went to "Advanced" and followed the "proceed" link. Sometimes it still refused to comply even then. I learned of a temporary trick for getting past the blockage, but sometimes I had to use it over and over, even if I navigated to a new page on the same site.

So, yes, I'm still using K-Meleon, or at least I've returned to it after several years of using Pale Moon. PM is OK, too, but much slower than KM. They have their rendering engines in common, of course.

One thing I've noticed with all browsers modeled on Mozilla: On a slow-loading page, it's very hard to scroll down while I'm waiting, even if something I wanted to see is already on the screen. The Chrome-based browsers will scroll a loading page just as quickly as a complete one, which is probably their only advantage.

---
Gerry

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2021 06:05PM by foliator.

Posted by: foliator
Date: January 01, 2022 07:27PM

Unfortunately I've had to return to Pale Moon, because I've run into another site that KM can't handle. It's one of my most important sites, and I can't log in. There's absolutely no response when I click on the login link; I don't even get the login form. It probably uses a newer JavaScript. PM has no trouble with it.

---
Gerry

Date: January 01, 2022 08:01PM

foliator
Unfortunately I've had to return to Pale Moon, because I've run into another site that KM can't handle. It's one of my most important sites, and I can't log in. There's absolutely no response when I click on the login link; I don't even get the login form. It probably uses a newer JavaScript. PM has no trouble with it.

Similar happens with PaleMoon as well.

Yesterday I was using it on GitHub because I thought, maybe, roytam's New Moon wasn't handling the page correctly, and PaleMoon didn't either. It is a matter that if someone really, really, really needs full compatibility with certains websites, the only way is to go with the latest (I really remark it) Gecko (Firefox and forks or clones), or Blink (Chromium/Google Chrome and clones), or Webkit (Apple Safari and clones) engines and even then you can't be sure.

In other words, you can't have all eggs in the same basket. That the sad true of these days on web browsing. We left the IE dominion for, mostly, Chrome one with some duchies of the others.

K-meleon is not perfect and can't solve all needs but no one can.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2022 08:02PM by JohnHell.

Pages: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415Next
Current Page: 14 of 15

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.