General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Saving infinite scrolling web pages
Posted by: Inver M
Date: October 20, 2015 10:11AM

I admire your work and must confess that K-Meleon had the smallest memory footprint for infinite scrolling web pages such as Facebook and Twitter.

But here's a challenge for me and you. I'm working on a research and am steadily monitoring FB and TW feeds over extensive periods of times. The way the pages work is that the page keeps on loading new/old content the moment you scroll down. This is very useful for tracking progress over extensive periods of time. But the problem here is that I either have to save the files for offline reading every once in a while, which makes it a tedious task, or that I wait for the period of research to end (in a week) and then download the whole page.

But because the page is rather long, it eats up a lot of memory. For example, the html file itself would be just around 100MB in size (I've turned off images, flash, etc.) but the memory use is well over 10 times (1Gcool smiley. And it grows exponentially. So is there a way through which an extension can automatically save let's say the first 100MB of what has already been scrolled into a particular html file (like part1.html) and remove that part from memory but continue scrolling until another 100MB is reached, then save that to another file part2.html and so forth. This way, the infinite scrolling page would still be possible to manage with 1-2GB RAM while preserving all the content for offline reading later.

Is there a way for the above to happen perhaps through an extension of something?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Saving infinite scrolling web pages
Posted by: siria
Date: October 20, 2015 05:22PM

Am no expert, and not sure why saving a webpage 2x per day would be so tedious?

But since you have already blocked images and flash, try blocking some more stuff. Especially blocking css seems to free a lot of RAM, at least on my ancient machine.
Have recently posted some macros for bandwith+RAM+Privacy savings, perhaps want to try. Start with "priv3buttons", it's the easiest for testing, with quick toolbar buttons.
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?9,135558

There sure are countless other possibilities too, considering the 1000 Mozilla prefs ;-)

KM75.1 now has a "settimer" command in macrolanguage. Perhaps it can help to save a page in regular time intervals, and to minimize/maximize a window (they say minimizing it would free RAM). And it could open new pages... e.g. save the current page/ close it/ open it again in new window - if that would help anything?
I really don't understand the problem well enough, technically, and on my old main machine with 256MB RAM cannot test myself, so these suggestions are rather theoretical thoughts ;-)
But other people here know a lot more about such stuff, while I only have more experience with (simple) macros.

(sig) New unofficial K-Meleon 76.4 (KMG76.4) available, in own subforum.
Based on Goanna engine, called 'test' builds forever but more stable as 75.1 acc. forum members. It's 1-2 generations ahead of predecessor KM76RC-2016
K-Meleon FAQ (link missing in forum sidebar)
Tips&Tricks - Learning new stuff every day
New to K-Meleon? What do you like? What not?

Posted by: JamesD
Date: October 20, 2015 07:49PM

Inver M

I don't use FB or TW, so I need to ask a couple of questions.

1. If you close and re-open the page which you are tracking, where is the top of the page in relation to your previous view?

2. If you minimize the window and then restore the window, can you determine if you have reduced the required RAM? (siria's suggestion)

Posted by: rodocop
Date: October 24, 2015 05:55PM

Why not to use mobile FB version? It's much more lightweight than regular one...

Posted by: Dorian
Date: October 24, 2015 10:21PM

Only the site itself could do that without breaking anything. But seeing how gecko doesn't like to free memory, I don't think this would help.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2015 10:21PM by Dorian.

Posted by: Voltaire
Date: November 05, 2015 07:49AM

I don't use TW, but FB ...

JamesD
1. If you close and re-open the page which you are tracking, where is the top of the page in relation to your previous view?

As a principle the pages are always filled on top; i.e. any new event is set on top and all the existing is moving down. This type of "page filling with events" is always the same; the question is the number of events, and specially the number of new events since last open of a secific page: there is "the main page" on the one hand and "any subpage" on the other. On subpages the changes are not sooo numerous than onthe main page. The consequence is that when reloading a "subpage" it still might show the same events as last time of opening. But on main page the "event filling" is so numerous that it quite never happens to not seeing new events on top since last reload, even if that was just a very short moment ago.

So to answer your question: on main page the "previous top" is so much down that you need to scroll down very far until you get to theses events you did see before. But sometimes it seems to me that you even see different things that before - in the sense of: you don't always see the exactly same order of the events.

JamesD
2. If you minimize the window and then restore the window, can you determine if you have reduced the required RAM? (siria's suggestion)

In my point of view this does not change anything concerning RAM use as minimizing is just a task for the video-driver that keeps the contents in "VRAM" ...

There is another "strange effect" that sometimes happens. Sometimes I use notebooks with shared memory; and there it happens sometimes that when closing a tab you just can watch changing from top to bottom the previous tab that takes some 5 to 10 seconds until the new tab is fully visible. You have to know that having some 20 to 40 tabs open is just normal here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2015 07:52AM by Voltaire.

Posted by: Voltaire
Date: November 05, 2015 08:25AM

Btw: some strange experience when having left the PC in sleepmode overnight (it's even not the first time to happen; it's just normal behaviour): I had open a FB-page of a newspaper. Yesterday evening there were some 20 to 30 event entries (I did not scroll down very far); but this moring after rewake of the PC, at a certain moment the CPU load for K-Meleon goes up to 97%, the fan is spinning, and the PC unreacive - until there is a message with the question to stop unreactive script. When scrolling down to that newspaper-page totally bottom down, the first entries last from 2012 ... and the page is really huge!!!

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.