General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Are JavaScript Per-site Permissions still not working?
Posted by: cpm1a_new
Date: August 27, 2019 02:53PM

> if you like I can post my little javascriptwarner macro
please do

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2019 02:54PM by cpm1a_new.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: siria
Date: August 27, 2019 03:40PM

JohnHell
Lets start from the begining. Firefox didn't have the permission options K-meleon had (Tools Menu > Privacy > Permissions > Javascript).

Yes, sure, but just to avoid a misunderstanding for other readers:
all those JS options that K-Meleon offers are really native Firefox features. KM is using the same engine, and it's just toggling the same prefs which can also be toggled in Firefox. The difference is only that K-Meleon has a visible user-interface for it, while in Firefox users must open about:config and toggle those prefs manually. Or using addons to get a visible interface.

Date: August 27, 2019 05:10PM

anontemp123
(2016-04-18)
What am I missing here? URL: http://examples.oreilly.com/9781565922341/1.1.html

A rather serious K-Meleon bug IMO, since so many years:
the exception descriptions in KM are simply wrong and misleading.
Yeah the engine may work as intended by the Mozilla devs, but not as told to users:

javascript exceptions:
You can specify on which website will allow or block script.
Type the exact address of the site you want to manage.

image exceptions:
You can specify what website are always, or never authorized to display images.
Write the url below and click on block or allow.

Whoever wrote this, obviously believed too that the domain of the current page would decide what this page is allowed to load or not.
Yet in reality the white/blacklisted domains only decide, FROM which source domains ALL websites are allowed to load elements or not. For example if images from domain "example.com" are allowed to "Load Always" as exception, it means all images from example.com will show up on ALL other websites too, even if the global default permission for images is "Load Images Never". It has always been that way in gecko engines, in Firefox native functions.
For javascript the wrong info is even worse, it sounds like javascript in general would be blocked, yet embedded code is executed anyway (although I suspect not those inside <script> tags, but have to verify again)

Will those pure description bugs ever get fixed?? sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2019 05:59PM by siria.

Posted by: cpm1a_new
Date: August 27, 2019 11:33PM

@siria

>the exception descriptions in KM are simply wrong and misleading.
and made me just waste time.

waiting to test your javascriptwarner when it's finished

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2019 11:37PM by cpm1a_new.

Date: August 28, 2019 03:58AM

cpm1a_new
waiting to test your javascriptwarner when it's finished

That's great that you're volunteering to TEST! smiling smiley
The very first macro version is just finished and haven't much tested yet myself, and not sure if perhaps further improvements needed (if possible).
It's now posted in an own topic, here:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?9,150599

Date: September 09, 2019 10:26AM

continued from here:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?9,106061,150708#msg-150708
cpm1a_new
currently just run out of tweaking ideas, but maybe there will be more in the future... have i missed something important? YOUR ideas are welcome!
1) great pity we'll have to live with JavaScript Per-site Permissions issue (engine limitation, can't be helped)
2) KM's Find in Page leaves a lot to be desired...

Regarding javascript, that comes in several levels, or whatever to call this (guess have it mentioned a few times already ;-) So what we CAN do is restrict the global permission at least partly, and then block or allow the extended permissions as needed, by website. And for this finetuning the whitelisting by source-domain works (yeah, there's the old prob again, not by domain in urlbar, only by src-domain, so am preferring the global toggles most of the time)
And for mass resetting a whole bunch of prefs I'm using the Blockeria buttons, needing just 1 click.

So, obviously I'm using tons of buttons and toolbars, despite a small screen, but what do, I really NEED those!
But looking at your own screenshots, with only 1 single toolbar line despite a huge screen, incl. even the urlbar, and also knowing you're a fan of keyboard shortcuts, it's clear why you resist JS finetuning with those macros so long :cool:

(PLOP - and yet another idea just flew at me... grinning smiley
It's possible to create a macro command to toggle several toolbars on/off at once, if you wish. Have only last year discovered a trick for doing this, it's quite easy and quick, just not much tested. Of course the configuration needs a little kmm-tweaking by users again, but you're already happily doing this. Just please lets keep this topic here javascript-related, and discuss other stuff in other topics.)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2019 10:45AM by siria.

Attachments: screen2018_priv3_blockeria_etc.png (20.6 KB)  
Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.