General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Problem found
Posted by: D.J.
Date: June 16, 2020 02:48AM

Hi, I found a problem with this browser: the settings I made are not saved if the computer restarts or program is closed with task manager before normal exiting the browser! Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Problem found
Posted by: JohnHell
Date: June 16, 2020 01:12PM

Could you give more details?

Operating system
K-meleon version
Downloaded here or from portable apps
Any other information that will help anyone to give you advise

How to ask

Date: June 16, 2020 04:43PM

Operating system: Windows Xp, SP3, 32 bit

Kmeleon version: K-Meleon 76.2 - Goanna 3.4.5 (Test Build 20200613) ***it is possible that this error is also present in the stable versions (I don't know sure, I haven't tested it).

Browser was downloaded from http://kmeleonbrowser.org/

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: June 16, 2020 05:20PM

Check priviledges from Help > Troubleshooting.

What does it say?

Date: June 16, 2020 06:22PM

JohnHell
Check priviledges from Help > Troubleshooting.

What does it say?

"KM profile privilege checked successfully"

Posted by: siria
Date: June 17, 2020 03:37AM

D.J.
Hi, I found a problem with this browser: the settings I made are not saved if the computer restarts or program is closed with task manager before normal exiting the browser! Thanks

That's often caused by some Windows or user safety tools 'protecting' or 'cleaning up' a bit too much.

Especially if a portable program like KM is installed in a protected folder like c:/programs.
Some people with similar probs got it working after installing KM outside somewhere.

Also worth trying: set KM non-portable by renaming file ../K-Meleon/profile.ini to e.g. "profile_renamed.ini"

But important to know, not all user settings are stored in the profile folder!
Some are directly saved in the program folder, especially skin and button configs.

Date: June 17, 2020 04:55AM

I don't have cleaning software active. It seems that the settings are saved if I run the program on disk D (without renaming profile.ini). Thank you!

Posted by: siria
Date: June 17, 2020 12:31PM

D.J.
I don't have cleaning software active. It seems that the settings are saved if I run the program on disk D (without renaming profile.ini). Thank you!

Okay, that works.
But the downside is, the whole KM program folder is not write-protected there anymore.

As compromise one could try to keep the whole thing on c:/programs and manually give write-permission only to selected folders:
"/profiles/" and "/skins/"
(by opening Windows file explorer with admin permission and right-clicking those folders...)

General tip:
People who prefer to keep all their own settings together in currently active profile folder
(easy to find with menu Edit > Configuration > Profile Directory)
can also copy over the whole skins folder into "../profiles/xxxx/skins/" folder
And if they want to install user macros, drop them into a manually created folder "../profiles/xxxx/macros/"

And in all cases always the button-config template file
..\K-Meleon/browser\defaults\settings\toolbars.cfg
should be copied into folder
..\K-Meleon\skins\default\toolbars.cfg

PS: please give your topic titles a more descriptive name, in first post. Thanks.

(sig) New unofficial K-Meleon 76.4 (KMG76.4) available, in own subforum.
Based on Goanna engine, called 'test' builds forever but more stable as 75.1 acc. forum members. It's 1-2 generations ahead of predecessor KM76RC-2016
K-Meleon FAQ (link missing in forum sidebar)
Tips&Tricks - Learning new stuff every day
New to K-Meleon? What do you like? What not?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2020 12:55PM by siria.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.