General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
questions for GUI customization
Posted by: Owen
Date: June 19, 2020 09:08PM

Hello, I installed K-Meleon today on my old PC, after being REALLY fed up with Firefox taking 100% of my CPU for loading the most simple of pages. Although I seem to have picked the wrong version (75.1), because I had bad experience in the past with "the most up to date" versions of some programs.
I like this browser very much so far (the interface is great, and compatible with my classic windows theme!).

Anyway, I have some questions:
1) How to change the background color of the URL bar? I ask, because the colors are annoying, I just want a white background for all. In my browsing I opened some URLs which gave me pastel yellow background and then, on the same site, pastel red. On this forum it is white. Why, and what can I do about it?

2) How to open new tabs without being transported to this tab? I want always to stay on my current tab.

3) Is there a way to eliminate the status bar below the pages (the one which says "Ready" and can show certificates)?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: questions for GUI customization
Posted by: JohnHell
Date: June 19, 2020 09:27PM

Owen
Hello, I installed K-Meleon today on my old PC, after being REALLY fed up with Firefox taking 100% of my CPU for loading the most simple of pages. Although I seem to have picked the wrong version (75.1), because I had bad experience in the past with "the most up to date" versions of some programs.
I like this browser very much so far (the interface is great, and compatible with my classic windows theme!).

Anyway, I have some questions:
1) How to change the background color of the URL bar? I ask, because the colors are annoying, I just want a white background for all. In my browsing I opened some URLs which gave me pastel yellow background and then, on the same site, pastel red. On this forum it is white. Why, and what can I do about it?

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,134689,134709

Note that the white is a system color. If you change the system colors, you change the urlbar background as well. It uses the same interface as Windows, as you found, so all is inherited from Windows.

About the old version, you should try the Goanna engine build. It supports better the lastest HTML and JavaScript standards.

Owen
2) How to open new tabs without being transported to this tab? I want always to stay on my current tab.

Note that I don't use tabs, but right click in a link and open in background.

As well as some options in the preference panel. (Edit menu > preferences, or F2 key, or the Gear icon)

Owen
3) Is there a way to eliminate the status bar below the pages (the one which says "Ready" and can show certificates)?

View menu or through the gear icon and uncheck the status bar tick (click on it).

Remember to use the forum search winking smiley

Sure they have been answered a few times winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2020 09:31PM by JohnHell.

Date: June 19, 2020 09:47PM

This was helpful, many thanks!
K-Meleon is definitely my new favorite browser!

Also, exploring this forum, I had the pleasure to see that there are still some users of Windows 98 :O .

Yes, I will probable try the updated version, as it may be better for accessing google drive (I've read here that it lags less than on Chrome).

Date: June 19, 2020 10:13PM

Unadvertantly, I added the values as string, not integer... :s Is there a way to change the type? Resetting only erases the value, and creating a new preference with the same name doesn't do anything.

Posted by: siria
Date: June 19, 2020 10:19PM

Hi and welcome :-)
(but better don't be too excited of first KM look, the GUI has sadly been neglected for too many years, and even the updated KG76 engine is starting to show its inner age recently too)

2) howto open links in background:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/wiki/FAQ#mouseaccels

(sig) New unofficial K-Meleon 76.4 (KMG76.4) available, in own subforum.
Based on Goanna engine, called 'test' builds forever but more stable as 75.1 acc. forum members. It's 1-2 generations ahead of predecessor KM76RC-2016
K-Meleon FAQ (link missing in forum sidebar)
Tips&Tricks - Learning new stuff every day
New to K-Meleon? What do you like? What not?

Posted by: siria
Date: June 19, 2020 10:22PM

Owen
Unadvertantly, I added the values as string, not integer... :s Is there a way to change the type? Resetting only erases the value, and creating a new preference with the same name doesn't do anything.

Just open a new window, then the old pref should be gone in this one. If not, restart the browser.

Date: June 19, 2020 10:46PM

Thank you, siria, that helped.
Sorry to hear about the GUI, I hope that if it is redone, there will still be the many options of this one (movable toolbars, classic windows theme). However, I plan to use K-Meleon for work mostly, and that requires mostly text sites without complicated scripts.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.