General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Questions regarding ad blocking, extensions, and other newbie questions
Posted by: ag87
Date: November 30, 2019 08:18AM

Hi,

I have some questions about installing extensions for this browser and ad blocking for this browser in general.

I'm new to this forum so please forgive any mistakes in my post. Also, I'm not very good at searches, so if any of these questions are already answered, please point me to them - thanks (that said, I did come across some related discussions that I didn't fully understand so I thought starting a new thread would make more sense)

I decided to try this out with version 75.1 for various reasons and as I had hoped, it is working much better than my current browsers (such as Firefox) in most cases and I've been fairly pleased with it.

However, one problem I ran into was what seemed to be a nefarious site coming up (with one of those "are you sure you want to navigate away from this page" messages) that I suspected resulted from an advertisement on a prior page. In a very similar situation later, another site wanted to install something I hadn't requested. So I looked to see if there was some ad blocking available.

First, I found a post that said there was something built into 75.1. Well, if there is, I sure don't see any evidence of it (in the various settings, the "about plugins" dialog, etc.). Maybe this is because I installed it by hand from the 7z file (and the "portable" version) rather than an installer, I don't know. Any suggestions regarding this "default" adblocker and why I don't seem to have it? If it is there, how do I update the definitions or add my own? Prior extensions for adblock plus that I've used have included a UI where I can run updates or add my own site blocking rules manually.

Next I searched around and found various versions on sourceforge, but the latest seemed to be adblock version 75 (and/or perhaps synchs with KM 75.x). So I unzipped (or "7za x"'d it or whatever) to a temp dir and got a bunch of files that look like they go into the KM install dir because the subdirs parallel the structure of the KM install dir. But one of the new files overlaps in name but differs in size, that being "browser/omni.ja", so I haven't copied them over yet; what do I do about that file? This is really my main question for this post.

Also, is copying those files over enough to install them (does KM scan for files), or do I have to make KM aware of it somehow? (like adding to a config file somewhere)

While I'm at it, a few more issues:
(I'll start a new thread for any of these if that would be better)

- Generally speaking, what is the normal process for installing an extension (or add-in/plugin/whatever) for this browser? I've ended up installing a few other things for my other browsers so I may eventually end up with more here, as well (although in those cases those were often to fix annoyances with those browsers that are thankfully not issues in KM to begin with, such as not being able to add more than one copy of a bookmark in FireFox).

- One other thing I noticed is that to get "control-shift-delete" to work I had to search and a post explained how to modify accel-orig.cfg. When I use it, it seems to work well except sometimes the right "control-shift" changes the text in the URL box to be right-justified (like it does with Notepad), which took me a while to figure out until I realized exactly why that was happening and the solution is to use the left control-shift afterwards. Not a question, but I just thought I'd note this in case anyone else runs into this.

- One reason I used version 75.1 is that I'm not entirely sure which later version is the best; could someone point me to that? (preferably, a "portable" non-installer version)

- Can I install multiple versions (so I can try out others), or are there places where they would overlap? (such as registry settings) Hopefully the "portable" versions will make this possible.

- I disabled a built-in plugin that said it looks for updates since I always disable automatic updates for all the software I install (I think software should only update when I manually tell it to do so); was that enough to disable any automatic updates?

- I spent quite a long time looking into making youtube work, but no success so far, apparently something having to do with html5 and mp4 files. Any ideas on how to solve this? Or is this just a limitation of this older version?

- This may or may not be related to the html5/mp4 issue, but I also tried the site "gog.com" (sells downloads of software) and that didn't work well. That site uses a lot of little animations within each item in the list of their software, which is why I was wondering if the problems were similar to the problems watching videos on youtube.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Questions regarding ad blocking, extensions, and other newbie questions
Posted by: rodocop
Date: November 30, 2019 10:55AM

Hi, ag87,
welcome to community!

Some useful points:

1) KM 75.1 is VERY outdated version, non-compatible with multiple modern web-sites and web-security requirements (SSL, TLS etc.). But if it suits your needs - OK to use it.

2) Actual version is KM 76-Goanna rolling build. It's not perfect but supported and updated almost weekly. (Goanna is the Palemoon's engine, fork of Mozilla's Gecko, now deprecated by Firefox devs.) But it has no autoupdate feature set on by default.

3) Newest 76G build has adblock kplugin inbuilt. The trick is that this plugin doesn't have any GUI by default. But happily you can use community-created extension to control it. Read this thread for more info and download of adblock control.

4) There could be some glitches and slowdowns in using inbuilt adblock though (well also could be not if you're lucky ;-). There are third-party alternatives here for ad-filtering - AdBlock Plus or ABPrime

5) All modern builds of KM 76 Goanna are portable. The portability is native and full (meaning that profile folder is placed inside KM working directory and browser is fully functional when copied to flash drive or smth else and run from there)

6) Feel free to have and run any number of KM instances and versions in parallel. To run another instance of browser add the parameter -new to the launch shortcut. (or type k-meleon.exe -new in command line)

7) Youtube is working fine in fresh KM 76 Goanna. Gog is partly working.

8) There are different types of plugins and extensions for KM:
- np-plugins are standard plugins for browsers like Flash Player, Acrobat (or other PDF-viewer) plugin, Java etc.;
- kplugins are KM-specific binary libraries adding some vital or optional tools. Adblock is one of them;
- firefox-compatible XUL-extensions (those for Gecko-based Firefox ver.<57). They can be installed the same way as in Firefox. But only some of them are compatible with KM due to architecture differences. So many of them will be shown in about:addons but not working. Also they usually need special KM macro to get integrated in KM's GUI;
- native KM extensions named macros (*.kmm-files) - they are written on KM's own macrolanguage and do numerous things themselves or by integration of third-party tools like XUL-addons, binary portable windows applications or AutoIt scripts etc.

KM macros are single files to place into macros subfolder of browser - or can be packed with all needed (if needed) files in 7z-archives with corresponding folder tree structure. To install you should just unpack that archive in KM working folder.

This is in general. But there are a lot of nuances here and there so keep trying and asking us for help.

Have a good time with K-Meleon!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2019 10:57AM by rodocop.

Posted by: siria
Date: November 30, 2019 02:31PM

Hi and welcome. You sound like a tinkerer who's also ready to fiddle a bit himself, definitely helpful for using KM ;-)

Yes by all means, if your system allows it, use modern KM76. At least the old gecko version, and much better the current Goanna version. Not only the engine is much better with modern websites, but also internal KM-functions are better (mainly macrolanguage), and better compatibility with FF-addons. Unlike Firefox, newer KM-versions are still "adding" functions, instead of removing them (just 1 exception, the old UA macro, but guess the dev wanted KM more visible in statistics ;-))

And that was very wise to not override omni.ja accidentally. There are 2 files of this name, in root-folder and in browser subfolder, and they are the very core of the engine. Always a good idea to inspect zip-files before blindly tossing them into the folders.
And also a good idea to take a quick glance inside the macros kmm files, just to get at least a rough idea what they do. E.g. have seen some that secretly toggle on Javascript permanently, or load scripts from 3rd-party webservers, which I'd like to know at least. Or rather, prefer to modify myself.

EXTENSIONS:
There are a LOT more macros available for KM as complicated FF-addons. Look in the extensions subforum. Most recent ones there, just sadly a bit hard to find without tags and categories. There's also a separate project "kmext.sf.net". Much handier to find stuff, sorted by category, but not maintained anymore since years, and most extensions 10-15 years old. Plain macrolanguage (*.kmm) still works in modern KM, but ported FF-addons can be broken.

Complex xpi-ADDON packages in 7z:
Definitely unzip and look inside before installing, as you did. For example have seen special KM-packages for FF-addons, which contain the xpi inside folder "KM/extensions". Effect: supereasy installation, but makes those addons completely invisible on about:addons. Very confusing for users. Or other zips may contain xpi-addons in subfolder "KM/browser/extensions". Also to make installation easier, just unzip and drop, and those addons do show up on about:addons - just have no "Remove" button. All fine and no prob, just as long as users are *aware* about those minor differences. Where to find installed addons and how to remove them again if wished, or how they can install xpi-addons "normally" like Firefox (open about:addons and drag-drop an xpi-file inside, or use the button there to install from a local xpi-file, both methods will install it in the PROFILE). Just hardly anyone knows such minor details, and is confused instead.

USERAGENTS:
One of my personal favorite improvements: KM-Goanna (74+76) has finally activated Mozilla's NATIVE function to send websites different useragent-strings by DOMAIN! The engine function for those site-specific useragents was already contained since KM74, just not initialized. All which this function needs out-of-box are some prefs in about:config, or for convenience a menu macro like useragents2018 can be used, just for easier setting prefs.
Note that this NATIVE domain-UA function gets killed again when installing any complex useragent "addons", meaning "xpi" or components files, not just macros (*.kmm). Those "addons" use their own settings, in general they make it impossible to fake the global useragent string, instead each and every page where you toggle the UA will get stored in the profile. And older ones can't even fake the UA for javascript checks too. I can't stand all of this, but that's just a personal preference, and rodocop loves it exactly the other way around ;-) But the next prob is that most users are not aware how those 'special' addons work exactly, often not even aware those are even installed in their own KM-version, and keep stumbling over instructions for the native methods, which don't work anymore. Then think they were just too stupid or all UA functions broken etc. and just give up completely.
But the native function also has a little trap, since KM-Goanna: unknown to most users, lots of domain-UAs are already predefined in KM! (Unfortunately hardcoded inside omni.ja, would be much better defaults/pref files, but again opinions differ) Those prefs are visible and editable on about:config. They do help a lot for problematic websites, but need occasional updates. After awhile they become outdated, then users are clueless why those websites are now broken, even if they toggle the global useragent string.

PORTABLE K-Meleon:
If the root folder contains an empty file "profile.ini", K-Meleon will look up all profiles inside its root folder, this makes it portable. If that ini-file does not exist, K-Meleon will instead look for the profiles folder in the system's appdata folder for that user.
This ini-file can also be created or removed any time again later, to easily switch between modes at next startup if wished.
This "portable" mode only refers to the location of the user profile folders, and where K-Meleon itself writes stuff, nothing else. It is not a "stealth" mode, it can not prevent any traces written elsewhere by the system or in the registry.
A trap: some time after XP (Vista or Win7?) the Windows versions were becoming more and more restrictive towards user-installed programs, and in order to still allow older portable apps to run, Windows introduced some 'clever' new workarounds. This can cause problems when portable programs are installed into protected folders, especially the official "programs" folder. The system lets those programs think they were still writing settings inside their root folder there, yet in reality the system secretly redirects all write-attemps into another dedicated user folder outside! But those redirects don't seem to work equally well for READ attempts, so some users found the browser is writing stuff, but cannot find it anymore later!
To avoid such probs most power users prefer to install KM outside of protected folders, but I suppose it would probably suffice to just give the necessary subfolders more permissions manually. Especially profiles folder, but also the skins folder and perhaps others.

ADBLOCK:
a neverending chaos, sigh, and am not very familiar with it either, being stuck on a too old OS myself. There are already several detailed posts out there describing the crucial basics, between the various KM-versions and various native functions and various optional FF-addons... Strongly recommend to look those up again. Here just one thing:
There seem to be 2 fundamentally different methods for adblocking:
1) For handling HIDING rules by css, KM always contained since ancient times the file "/chrome/adblock.css", it works from inside the current USER profile folder. The old template is still dating from 2006 (!!) and I suspect it only understands those era's syntax rules too. For this function there is a switch in F2 > Page Display> Content Filters, and also in the Privacy Menu "Block Advertisement"
2) For handling real BLOCKING rules, a plugin or addon is needed. Younger KM-versions contain natively /kplugins/adblock.DLL for this purpose. Yet - NO GUI and no template contained, searching anything inside the browser completely futile. The GUI-macro that rodocop linked above should long since be included by default, but that's just one of far too many unnecessary GUI probs. And even with this menu macro, that adblock-plugin is still extremely lacking GUI-wise. It's not even possible to add new rules during the current session, or import an updated list!

To make things yet more confusing, recent KM-versions contain pre-installed rule templates for adblockplus already - yet not that addon itself! The popup at first KM-start refers only to the native adblock.dll. The one without any templates and GUI. Sigh. So typical for unnecessary GUI probs.

Sigh, didn't mean to write such a novel, only planned a few remarks - where does time go?!
And just some weeks ago have already written a bunch of "beginner tips" somewhere... There's so much handy stuff but hidden without GUI, especially: try right-clicking on toolbar buttons! Many contain an additional menu, although not noticable without additional arrows...

(sig) New unofficial K-Meleon 76.4 (KMG76.4) available, in own subforum.
Based on Goanna engine, called 'test' builds forever but more stable as 75.1 acc. forum members. It's 1-2 generations ahead of predecessor KM76RC-2016
K-Meleon FAQ (link missing in forum sidebar)
Tips&Tricks - Learning new stuff every day
New to K-Meleon? What do you like? What not?

Date: December 01, 2019 08:02AM

Hi,

Thank you both, I really appreciate it. I'll need some time to process some of this information and will reply further at that point, but at least wanted to thank you and reply to a few points now.

> ... didn't mean to write such a novel

siria: No problem, in fact personally I prefer more information, and I often write posts, emails, etc. that are also very detailed. So this is great, thank you.

A few points/questions: (for either of you or anyone else who knows - thanks)

- I did download and install what seems to be the newest version, specifically https://o.rthost.win/kmeleon/KM76.2-Goanna-20191116.7z and so far it seems to be working better than 75.1 (youtube works and it appears that an ad blocker is included, although I haven't had time yet to install the UI add-on yet that you mentioned) - thanks!

- That said, is the site "rths.ml" (for "https://o.rthost.win/kmeleon/"winking smiley the correct one? I want to make sure I'm downloading from the correct location, which is part of why I ended up with version 75.1 previously, as it was more directly referenced from the downloads page and pointed to sourceforge (which I'm familiar with and have used many times over the years) whereas the others were mentioned via forum posts and point to that site I've never used before (rths.ml).

- I added "-new" to both of the shortcuts I created and have successfully run instances of both versions at the same time - thanks!

- I am still curious about using the adblocker for 75.1, it probably won't matter now with having 76.2 also installed, so if it is too much trouble then don't worry about the following. But if you happen to know, my questions on this are: What would I do with the adblocker files in ABP75.7z? (from http://kmext.sourceforge.net/extensions2/) Would I copy the rest of the extracted files in and ignore browser/omni.ja? (that's the only one that overlaps) If that is the case, then why is omni.ja included? Or would it be better to use an older one from the other location, adblockplus-1.3.9.7z? (from http://kmext.sourceforge.net/extensions/, note the difference being the "2" in "extensions2") I looked at the extracted files from the later 7z file, and none seem to overlap, but there's a number of dirs included that do NOT exist in the base KM install dir, so I'd be adding various new dirs to the root of the KM dir ("chrome", "components", "defaults", etc.). Why are ABP75.7z and adblockplus-1.3.9.7z so different? The later is older, but it still seems odd that they would be structured in such different ways. Are one or both of these perhaps not intended for direct use in KM but unmodified installs for FireFox or something? Again, if too much trouble then don't worry about this, just thought I'd ask.

> You sound like a tinkerer who's also ready to fiddle a bit himself ...

Thanks, yes, I try to be very careful about my computer setup at home and vastly prefer faster/streamlined non-bloated software that I have more control over. Several review sites spoke very highly of KM in that regard. I've been working with computers for many years so I can find my way around some things, but there's always a lot more to learn everytime I start a new project, so I seem to always end up with a lot of questions. I keep my old machines and use them to run games that were originally developed for the respective OS's such as XP and to make sure software I develop at home works on older OS's (at least back to XP), and so for XP I could use really use a better browser (as well as one that supports the ever-increasing web site requirements), so yet another reason I decided to try KM. Also, I prefer software that offers the option to install manually (from a zip/whatever) rather than requiring an installer (a lot of installers end up doing things to my machines that I really dislike, such as adding services and other automatic startups or installing a lot of files in various places all over my machine, often without even telling me where they are being placed), so the option of the .7z files is great.

Anyway, the next thing for me is to try the adblock control

Thanks again for your help

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2019 08:27AM by ag87.

Date: December 01, 2019 10:28AM

just a few quick notes:
Yes the "rths.ml" URL is -at the moment- correct, it redirects and loads from roytam1 server directly (our current unofficial dev, rescued KM by creating KM-Goanna and posts now weekly updates). The only prob is that he got the DOMAIN redirection from a supposedly "free" service, which turned out rather shady, they already grabbed back his 2 older domains after those turned out rather successful, and then started redirecting to completely different domains, containing stuff like "girls videos". It's a longer story, with more details in the msfn forum, but better expect this domain to be temporarily too. Here in the KM-forum the 2 older domains got automatically replaced everywhere with the current one.

KM-extensions with subfolders for components, chrome etc:
Those were only complicated workarounds for old KM-versions. Before Firefox xpi-addons finally started working directly, it was necessary to extract the folders inside the XPI or jar itself and install it in "pieces".
But xpi-addon installation got better and better between KM74 - KM76. I would absolutely NOT use any chrome-components-browser-etc subfolders today anymore, if possible to avoid!
Instead extract from the zips only the xpi (if existing) and kmm-files, and (if existing) the "skin" folder for button images.
The kmm is the necessary macro to create KM-menus and sometimes shortcuts and buttons, it goes into the macros folder. Usually this is a very short macro and the text inside self-explaining.

If no xpi is contained, only its "pieces" as chrome folder etc, I'd try to figure out from which FF-addon it was once copied and then get the original xpi, although often not quite easy, since many addons also get renamed for KM.
At any rate the xpi is the real FF-addon, just in many cases -if contained- long since outdated since creation of the KM package. This should be installed the "normal" way described above, by opening about:addons and using the button there to install local addons from disk. So today, in theory, just the kmm and xpi should be enough, ignore the rest of those old packages. Additionally a good idea to check if perhaps a newer version is available from the usual sources for "legacy firefox addons", like in the CAA-addon (Classic Add-Ons Archive) or on legacycollector org or addons.palemoon.org/extensions, etc., provided they are still compatible with Firefox38 (for KM76) Firefox31 (for KM75) or Firefox24 (for KM74) This version info is contained inside in file "install.rdf".
But if an addon claims to be "incompatible" with KM that's not always necessarily true, often it helps to just modify the allowed Firefox versions in the install.rdf to run in version 1.0 up to 99.0 ;-) That will make that it shows up as successfully "installed", which again means not much. If an addon really works in KM or not, or perhaps partly, can only be figured out by just trying and using it.

(_HowTO_ xpi addons install)

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2019 11:05AM by siria.

Date: December 06, 2019 10:51AM

Hi,

Thank you very much for the great information, I really appreciate it. I finally got a chance to work on this some more and used this information to install Adblock Plus.

FYI, I will tell you what I found, and also I have a few additional questions:

For some reason, it was very difficult to find the xpi files. Some of the sites seemed to not have it or no longer be active, and searches kept going to pages that insisted I install the latest version. I'm not sure I even had the right internet page for the Classic Add-Ons Archive, or at least I couldn't find a search function to find Adblock Plus there. Also, it had some kind of add-on of its own; I didn't really understand what that was all about. So I went on and tried legacycollector, but their site had disappeared. Next I couldn't find it on the palemoon site. I finally found it on a mirror of legacycollector. Would it be worth posting some of those files on this site or trying to contact the operator of that palemoon site or something like that?

It was even more difficult to figure out which version fit FireFox 38 (and 31). I ended up guessing based on the release dates and a few clues in some posts people had made. FYI for anyone that it may help in the future, I ended up with version 2.6 and it seems to work reasonable well (not only in KM 76.2, but I also tried 75.1 out of curiosity and works there, too). I used the about:addons method you suggested; is there an option in the UI somewhere to reach this? I wasn't even aware it existed until I read your post. Also, if anyone knows of a better version than 2.6, please let me know. Like I said, it was an educated guess and seems to work reasonably well, but perhaps another version would be better.

Another issue, although not critical, just an FYI, is that the UI toolbar option for Adblock Plus doesn't seem to function; if you check an option for it (in the UI found in about:addons), it doesn't actually do anything (the box won't even check, in fact). But thankfully it seems that you can get to all the functionality through the UI found in about:addons so I haven't really needed it.

A question: Both versions of the browser used to start up very quickly. After I installed Adblock Plus, they now unfortunately lag quite a bit at startup (an extra 10 seconds or so). That is not a big problem, but I got to thinking, would it help to disable the built-in adblock functionality? Probably not for startup I would think, but maybe when loading pages (although, that said, those don't really seem all that much slower). I could just try it, but I ask because I'd want to be sure I was disabling it correctly.

Also, another question: I've also noticed that although KMeleon works very well most of the time, I still can't get a few sites to work such as the software lists on gog.com. Are there plans to update KMeleon to handle some of those types of sites? If not, I noticed a lot of references in my research to some other browsers, some of which seem somehow associated with the work on KMeleon, for example "palemoon". I'm very happy so far with KMeleon, but for those types of sites is there another browser that you'd suggest on XP? (even if slower or other disadvantages, as I would then just use it to handle those particular problem sites) I used to do this with my older browsers. I had an old version of FireFox that worked extremely quickly, but when it didn't work I then would use a much slower, bloated browser that I didn't like at all but seemed to handle problematic sites better. So it could be the same type of thing here, use KMeleon most of the time as my preferred browser, but use another browser on those sites where doesn't work. I guess I'm looking for a recommendation on that other browser (that is, unless KMeleon is going to be updated to handle those types of sites).

That's unfortunate about the domain problems, sorry the development team is having to deal with that. Anyway, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't downloading from some redirected site or something (well, incorrectly redirected, that is), so glad to hear it is the right one, thanks.

One last thing: After I had already posted this, I reread the entire thread to find out what I need to do next, and realized I'd gotten a little confused and should perhaps have installed "Adblock Control" as per some of the earlier posts. Is this better? Or am I better off sticking with Adblock Plus? It sounds like Adblock Plus is the right option for 75.1, but that I could (should?) really have used Adblock Control for 76.2 - ?

Thanks

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2019 11:11AM by ag87.

Date: December 06, 2019 02:09PM

Sigh.... now you wasted again so much time unnecessarily just because that complicated adblock stuff is such a mess in KM! And infos shattered all across the forum, somewhere.... sad smiley

Just quick now, more perhaps later:
the lastest version for the menu macro for the NATIVE adblock.dll in KM7X (BAB / Basic Adblock) is here:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?9,135175,148690#msg-148690

Just one of many older adblock topics:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,144196

Adblocker "ABPrime", the Goanna-version of AdblockPlus:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?19,146713

Classic addons-archive:
You have a misunderstanding, this is not a browsable website. It IS the addon itself, that contains a huge sqlite database of Mozilla's old AMO addon pages. Of course NOT the xpi-files themselves, which are over 10GB.
The CAA addon is an absolute must-have for everyone looking for addons. It also provides a search function, descriptions, version info, target browser versions etc. and of course: direct download links.
Info: https://github.com/JustOff/ca-archive/blob/master/README.md
Download: https://github.com/JustOff/ca-archive/releases/latest
As usual, the GUI is still missing in KM, you must create a bookmark to open it.
This URL opens the list if the addon is active:
caa:about
Addon kindly created by JustOff, and the giant xpi files kindly hosted at the moment by the Waterfox people. Important to know, both are just a few kind people doing this as hobby, helping humanity, like the guy who created legacycollector.org too. And just like him may give up or be forced to give up again this service any day.

Just curious: which mirror for legacycollector were you using?
I only know this one in waybackarchive (and roy's), but the more mirrors the better:
https://web.archive.org/web/20191102092539/http://legacycollector.org/

A little menu macro for all those "about:xxx" pages:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?9,147082
If it looks a bit messy yet, that's because I have no own experience with Firefox etc, how the menus look there, and was hoping that others would update it, but no luck yet ;-) You can simply adjust the menu lines yourself: open the kmm file with an editor and check the "setmenu" lines.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2019 02:37PM by siria.

Date: December 06, 2019 03:13PM

ag87
Also, another question: I've also noticed that although KMeleon works very well most of the time, I still can't get a few sites to work such as the software lists on gog.com. Are there plans to update KMeleon to handle some of those types of sites? If not, I noticed a lot of references in my research to some other browsers, some of which seem somehow associated with the work on KMeleon, for example "palemoon". I'm very happy so far with KMeleon, but for those types of sites is there another browser that you'd suggest on XP? (even if slower or other disadvantages, as I would then just use it to handle those particular problem sites) I used to do this with my older browsers.

As fallback browser with a younger engine as KM, roytam1 develops quite a bunch for older machines, for XP or Win2000 or 98 or for SSE2/SSE/MMX processors smiling smiley
The sibling of KMG76 is his NewMoon27, both are forks of PaleMoon27 and share the same engine.
But unlike K-Meleon, NewMoon is already available with the next-generation engine, as NM28 UXP.
His browser forks are posted here:
http://rtfreesoft.blogspot.com/search/label/browser
https://msfn.org/board/topic/180462-my-browser-builds-part-2/

Perhaps also try Serpent/Basilisk 52/55, I just keep forgetting the details what's forked from what with which special features and goals exactly ;-)

WARNING: conflicting profiles when installing browser forks!
NewMoon uses the same profile as PaleMoon!
Not sure which other forks recycle what, guess Serpent the same profile as Basilisk, and certain Retrozilla versions use Firefox profiles, or Seamonkeys...
=> before installing any forks, try to remember to make a backup copy of current Firefox and PaleMoon profiles
(howto: open page about:support, it contains a link/button to the current profile)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2019 05:06PM by siria.

Posted by: luk3Z
Date: December 11, 2019 06:35PM

For all new KM users I recommend read this first:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?9,141979

I personally use KM 76 RC1 70% of time, KMG 10%, and 20% of time - the rest Gecko browsers: SeaMonkey, Basilisk, IceCat, FF =< 47.0.2 [latest and greates version imho], NN [old good predecessor of FF], Palemoon, Tor, Retrozilla, Waterfox.
I can't imagine how people can use only 1 browser when we have a ton of web standards nowadays...
K-Meleon is similar to Galeon - the browser you can control (not vice versa!).

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?10,150634
K-Meleon Quick Reference:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/docs.php
Basilisk/KM/SM xpi converter:
https://www.addonconverter.fotokraina.com/
Best regards.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2019 06:40PM by luk3Z.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.