General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Wiki question - uploading pictures and delete them
Posted by: JamesD
Date: September 16, 2009 01:29PM

I notice that when you edit a wiki page, that there is a method to upload a picture. I wanted to make sure that if I did, I would be able to find and delete the picture if it did not display as I expect.

The 'Screenshots' page is very out of date. I planned to work in the sandbox to see if I could update that information to version 1.5.3.

I just need to know that there is a way to 'clean up things' if my attempt in the sandbox does not work as I expect.

Also question as to file format for pictures. JPEG is less space than PNG but is there a requirement to use PNG?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wiki question - uploading pictures and delete them
Posted by: guenter
Date: September 16, 2009 09:06PM

Only certain pic formats are supported e.g. gif (U can probably cheat if k-m knows format).
You can go back and return to older version, if I remember it right.

p.s. Much is ancient, few English contributors, ! or ?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2009 09:13PM by guenter.

Posted by: disrupted
Date: September 16, 2009 09:17PM

i was able to use png at themes wiki
http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/K-MeleonThemes15

if you select the image properties it will show a jpeg extension but the alt text shows the png extension.

i don't know about other wiki pages if they'll permit png uploads but you can cheat as gunter said.. change the png image ext to jpg and upload and the browser will still be able to render the image even with a wrong extension

Date: September 16, 2009 09:32PM

I have no problem making the images in PNG format. When I upload an image, I will see some method to identify the image? What will I have to add to the code behind the | in order to link text to the image?

Date: September 16, 2009 10:20PM

i don't know much about wiki (me and wiki can be dangerous) but if you want to update screenshots, maybe better if you wait till 1.5.4 release because there's quite a possibility the default skin will be changed.. or you can use the probable new skin with 1.5.3 instead of phoenitity when taking the shots. check with dorian and gunter if aura will be used in next release.

gunter's been working on last aura update and can send you final version

Date: September 17, 2009 02:35AM

My first try at this in the sandbox. http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/SandBox

I uploaded two PNG images but they list as jpeg. At least it works after I found that my file name which was in quotes had to be deleted to make the pictures show.

I had to load a fresh copy of KM, because my highly modified Klassic skin would not be avaiable to someone who just loaded KM.

Next job is to plan 3 or 4 more images. What would be the most useful images to show?

Does anyone know if I can just copy the text and images from sandbox to the Screenshots page?

Date: September 17, 2009 05:08PM

it's not much different from current screenshots, check with gunter if aura will be the next default skin. preferences, websearch/search engines options and context menus will show kmeleon's builtin features.. maybe also screenshots with different skins. i think karameleon and abstract alpha are the best current skins and they are made with alpha transparency.

if someone has vista or windows7 they can make nice snapshots with their themes and show kmeleon in a fresh trendy look(people like eyecandy shots). the xp luna theme is looking rather old.. there was this tool i forgot its name that transforms xp luna to vista aero so you can still make the snaps using xp with aero look.. panzer probably knows where to get it

Date: September 17, 2009 07:45PM

I have four screenshots in the sandbox now. http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/SandBox

I think that will be enough when you consider there were none since 0.9 previously.

If nobody objects, I will try to copy the four items to the Screenshots page. http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/shots.php

I will wait a day before I try the copy so everyone has time to comment.

Posted by: desga2
Date: September 17, 2009 09:13PM

I want one more screenshot with the tab bar at bottom, the privacy bar showed and close buttons in each tab as example of K-Meleon configuration features.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: September 17, 2009 10:21PM

@ desga2

I have gotten tab bar to bottom and privacy bar showing, but when I introduce pref "browser.tabs.closeButtons", my KM closes with an error. I was using Tabclosebtn.kmm to make the pref change. What to try next?

Date: September 17, 2009 10:47PM

i made snapshots using aero truetransparency(thanks to panz!), one with tabbar at bottom with close button also displaying options that might be of interest to newcomers and showing 3 new skins.. you can use any of them in your wiki

http://kmext.sourceforge.net/wikishots/

please note, gunter and i have been granted full permission by lim chee for using and modifying aura for k-meleon under creative commons and k-meleon community holds legal copyrights for the k-meleon aura skin.

Date: September 18, 2009 12:08AM

@ disrupted

How did you get the closetab button to appear?

Nice shots of the new skin. Will it ship with 1.5.4?

Updated --

I have put one more screenshot. I got everything except the close tab X. Every attempt at that has closed my KM with error.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2009 01:03AM by JamesD.

Date: September 18, 2009 05:02PM

i used the tabclosebtn macro, it's very strange that it causes a crash, it merely toggles a preference even if the macro command conflicted with another macro you might have; it dn't make km crash but execute the first recognised macro.. try adding it manually in about:config> right click>add new integer value "browser.tabs.closeButtons" and set it to true.. this should make the x button appear right away without restarting.

the aura skin should replace phoenity in 1.5.4 but gunter is still working on menu bmps

Date: September 18, 2009 06:38PM

@ disrupted

I had the idea that pref was interger not boolean. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.tabs.closeButtons

I put it in my prefs with a value of 1, but KM crashed. One and zero are the values in togglepref in the macro.

I think I remember trying this when it first appeared in the forum. It crashed then too. Could it be a problem with my hardware? Maybe I will try on the laptop.

As for a new skin, I don't care as long as Klassic works. I change slowly if at all, and I am used to Klassic.

Update.

I have updated the Screenshots page with the 1.5.3 information.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2009 06:47PM by JamesD.

Date: September 18, 2009 06:57PM

i think you found a bug.. the main difference between your kmeleon and mine is that you're using xp lua theme and i use classic(no theme).. it appears the x button does not work with lua.. could have been overlooked cause most of use use classic or win2000. needs testing i can't change to lua because i have policies forcing classic , i did that a while back and can't remember which (gpdedit.msc) i think i also tinkered with themese.dll thingy to kill off lua.. to make certain open display properties>themes and select classic and then test if x button works; if it does, then it's definitely a bug with x button and lua.. possibly even with vista aero etc
it's very unlikely to be hardware related

sorry. i mean luna theme(been playing with lua language..my brain is mush)

reminds me of this woman's gaffe.. what's really on her mind?
http://kmext.sourceforge.net/media/black.wmv

great job on the wiki update.. in case 1.5.4 changes skins then we can update wiki with 1.5.4 with aura

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2009 07:15PM by disrupted.

Posted by: desga2
Date: September 18, 2009 09:56PM

Yes it's, close buttons in each tab is an integer pref.
Look in FAQ.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Posted by: jsnj
Date: September 19, 2009 06:51PM

Forgive my ignorance but I've noticed main.ico in the default themes and others have multiple images. Why is that? I've only ever created 16,16 main icons. The default skins have two 32,32 and two 16,16 images within main.ico. Some skins have an additional 48,48 within main.ico. What are all the extra images for since 16,16 is the only size that seems to appear in the browser?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2009 07:01PM by jsnj.

Date: September 19, 2009 08:10PM

yeah..that seems bit strange, perhaps making it available if someone wants to hex the kmeleon.exe so they'll have all the icon sizes they need? i doubt the titlebar can display/use anything over 16x16 even in big titlebar themes like vista aero

Date: September 19, 2009 11:58PM

I am no expert, but I wonder if the bigger files are used when you show files in explorer as icon or tile view. Maybe Windows just enlarges the one size or maybe uses the bigger ones?

Posted by: jsnj
Date: September 20, 2009 12:18AM

JamesD
I am no expert, but I wonder if the bigger files are used when you show files in explorer as icon or tile view. Maybe Windows just enlarges the one size or maybe uses the bigger ones?

They are and they are also convenient if a user decides to use main.ico as the desktop shortcut icon for KM. Both the the 32 and 48 sizes are used and if only 16 exists, windows enlarges that. Also, I'm guessing that post NT icons appear poorly on 9x Windows which might explain the two 16 and 32 sizes within the file. I just wondered if there was something I didn't know about that they're needed for since I'm just guessing.

Date: September 20, 2009 12:20AM

yep, they are used if available depending on explorer view otherwise the closest icon size is enlarged.

in xp:
list or details view uses 16x16
view as icons uses 32X32
view as thumbnails or tiles uses 48x48

there are also some icons with 128x128 px but i don't know how xp uses those maybe in vista and some odd sizes like 24x24

but for the most part, main, default and loading icons(plus history/bookmarks/hotlist edit) only need 16x16
the colour depth varies according to system which i think is very important for proper display in 9x because can only use up to 256 colours(8bit).. if the icon only has millions(32bit) of colours then it will display nicely in xp but in 9x/2k it will look horrible so it's safer to use 256 colours for those icons or atleast include 256 if you want to use 32bit colours.. 9x will simply ignore the 32bit icon and use the proper one it can support.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.