General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
KM Is Not Running Light - Constant Lockups!
Posted by: DasFox
Date: October 05, 2009 08:25PM

I use to think KM was it, that this would be the browser that ran circles around Firefox, I'm sorry to say it's not.

I know whoever is running this shows seems to be working hard and I appreciate that, I appreciate that you are trying to bring something to the computer community out there that is looking for alternatives but KM really falls short and I thought it wouldn't.

KM does not run lightweight contrary to your belief it does, I don't consider a browser that uses almost 100MB of ram with only two tabs open lighweight at all.

I have also struggled constantly with KM locking up on sites running Java and Flash, hey, that is like most of them!

Firefox can play nice with Flash and Java sites, and I expect KM to do the same but it doesn't.

Maybe when you can really improve this browser to really be lightweight and run better on Flash and Java sites I'll come back, but I honestly need a real browser that can function and KM is not it, I'm sorry to say.

Here's proof in a screenshot:

http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/4148/47551327.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: KM Is Not Running Light - Constant Lockups!
Posted by: reeko124
Date: October 06, 2009 04:25AM

I never could handle some pages like myspace the few times I had went there. Like you said it would just lock up. That would happen with any browser though really. It was just my computer. I am using linux now and am very happy with Opera. I have used firefox to....can't believe I admitted that and it ran surprisingly well. I didn't like 1.5.3 as much as the older versions. I have 1.5.2 on the windows laptop and it runs great but I don't really use it all that much.

Reeko

Posted by: Matt
Date: October 06, 2009 07:19PM

DasFox
KM does not run lightweight contrary to your belief it does, I don't consider a browser that uses almost 100MB of ram with only two tabs open lighweight at all.

K-M uses almost 100 MB with every two sites or with particular sites? Try to disable 'Cache files in memory' option. For me the memory consumption rarely comes over 100 even after I browse for hours.

DasFox
I have also struggled constantly with KM locking up on sites running Java and Flash, hey, that is like most of them!

That's odd, in my eperience K-M handles heavy flash sites pretty well, while Firefox and Opera don't, they stall for a few seconds especially when I scroll the page(s).

Posted by: siria
Date: October 06, 2009 08:05PM

That seems different on every machine... Mine is ancient, 256 MB, win98se, and Flash etc. is deadly after a short while.
But if it's disabled, and for safety reasons I also disable javascript etc., K-Meleon sure needs less resources than Firefox.
With KM this thing can open 20-24 (real) windows, even with a photo in the browser bars, before the box starts choking. Okay, ocasionally I hit a RAM cleaner tool, and after 1-2 days of intensive surfing have to do a restart, but it's the machine, have to do this with all apps tongue sticking out smiley
Meanwhile I've started using tabs, but even gave up counting after about 30 TABS (still can hardly believe it myself, LOL!)
With Firefox, that I recently tested a few days, and also had disabled all sorts of flashy scripty stuff, the choking started already at about 12 windows, quite a bit less than KM :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2009 08:12PM by siria.

Posted by: caktus
Date: October 06, 2009 08:18PM

I use KM 1.5.2 with much success with the occasional hiccup while scrolling a page that is still loading. It seems the more I use 1.5.2 the faster it loads pages (well, usually). But after booting or rebooting the computer, 1.5.2 is sometimes a little bit slow, I assume because pages or sites have to be cashed in memory, again. I wish there was a way to cache some pages in virtual memory permanently. I have memory cache set to a maximum of 64MB and disk caching to 128MB, these higher settings seem to be helpful. Sometimes virtual memory usage is at 150-200MB when I have many windows and/or tabs open with no problems. But lately I have been experiencing some instability with all my different browsers and some applications but I think this is because the OS is becoming unstable and is in need of a complete re-installation, but that is another matter as nothing good lasts forever.

Thank you for the warning about of 1.5.3.

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2009 08:25PM by caktus.

Posted by: disrupted
Date: October 06, 2009 11:14PM

charlie..1.5.3 is no different in memory consumption than 1.5.2.. it's just has a few bug fixes.. that's all

dasfox has messed up the user profile numerously and have always come complaining about it like it's a kmeleon bug..ofcourse running at 100mb memory is unnatural and if it were true it'd never be acceptable in kmeleon..but obviously it's either a messed user profile or a screwy system otherwise everyone would have the same problem. i run into 10 tabs sometimes and my memory doesn't exceed 50mb..vm is always acceptable too.

the fact that kmeleon is actually running on dasfox's computer with such a corrupted profile settings and/or fucked-up os; proves kmeleon's tolerance and stability.. i wonder how much would a browser like firefox would tolerate his endless uneducated fiddling..and actually firefox is not a "real" browser since it draws interface with html markup language..xul isn't even a proper runtime..but this just shows how much dasfox knows about browsers and what's real and what isn;t.

since the problems dasfox is complaining about are strictly on his computer, it's no indication of any km bugs .. but a confirmation of messed profile/os..if it indicates anything

edit: further proof that what he's saying is rubbish: people acually prefer runnin kmeleon on linux boxes through an emulator than other browsers that run natively.. and from their experience; km consumes less memory/resources running in wine!.. go figure

edirt2: or maybe he's just here to bitch over nothing and trying to sell lies to make people worry and use other browsers.. been there before..doesn't matter and by the way, i can easily make kmeleon use 100mb in one tab not 2 tabs..the old http://massiveattack.co.uk used to do that and it was very nice to make firefox crash..unfortunately they've redesigned their website.. proper memory reading must be done with normal websites.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2009 11:30PM by disrupted.

Posted by: guenter
Date: October 07, 2009 11:02AM

As disrupted says: Firefox and K-Meleon have the same basic backend.

& XUL apps consume more memory on most systems, while K-Meleon AFAIK uses some system dll that are loaded anyway. And k-m loads himself and his dll which have less volume than Firefox exe and dll.

I know what I say - i can compile Firefox non static. You could delete more than an MB from components folder (they are for mail! :O and in FFox', a browser's, components folder). And they are normally loaded because they are normally in Firefox' big exe or for modern versions in the XUL.dll.

The reason for dfox observation is that dfox probably has installed new extension xpi for Firefox and runs non updated plugins for K-Meleon. dfox 2 do: extract DLL from FFox extension folders and copy them to K-Meleon plugins folder. That is all.

The 100 mb are real BUT that is the RAM consumption of the plugin and the media dfox loaded! While K-Meleon's own RAM consumption is as big or little as on any of our PCs.

IMHO unused RAM is iddle RAM. It is merely silly if not dead annoying to have these repetative complaints.

I can understand if one complaint sounds like, K-Meleon used 100 MB and when I wanted to open Program B my system had problems. BUT NO, I am feed with screen shots like "here everyone, I can prove that K-Meleon uses n or more MB".

BTW. I complained to my daughter that i can only open 4 of the myspace pages before I had slowdowns. She had recommended the pages and she was surprised.
You have done what? Looking at me as if i was a moron. You can only open two. That much about daughter's firefox grinning smiley

p.s. Guess she is a right when she looked at me like that. I just posted a serious answer to the troll's post that I originally intended to delete or ignore.:mad:

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2009 02:14PM by guenter.

Posted by: mslayer
Date: October 07, 2009 02:26PM

Well, I have only 96MB and KM runs perfectly. I have right now Six tabs opened, but I could have more without problems.smiling smiley

Flash programs are slow, and I think that most of those flash things are very bad programmed. Flash uses its own plug-in from Adobe, and their forum is filled with "crashes", doesn't matter which browser you are using.�_�

Sometimes I get a 'script running slow' message, but my computer is slow.sad smiley

Posted by: caktus
Date: October 07, 2009 04:49PM

@ disrupted, Thank you for clearing that up for me. I have to admit, all versions of KM I have used have been fast and stable as always, even the unofficial KM's I have used. When an application on one of my machines does not work properly it is usually because I screwed something up. Probably the biggest problems I have experienced with KM is when I would be testing several versions at the same time.

@ guenter, my sentiment exactly, it IS true that unused RAM is waisted RAM. The only time I have trouble with RAM is when something goes wroung with an application causing it to consume 60-100%. And even then it is usually because I screwed something up or do not understand properly how to use an app.

@ mslayer, I to can have many tabs and even many windows open at once with little or no problems. Flash apps load slowly on my system as well, but that is just because I use dialup.

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Posted by: foobarly
Date: October 07, 2009 05:40PM

Sounding very much like Mozilla forum lately... winking smiley

--- sig ---

Posted by: Paul
Date: October 07, 2009 11:18PM

One of the reasons I don't use this site so much now is you get 'attacked' for questioning the fallibility of K-Meleon.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2009 11:33PM by Paul.

Date: October 07, 2009 11:56PM

not fair sad smiley criticism is always welcomed..it's how bugs are found and fixed, there's no attack..dasfox is calling kmeleon not a real browser..that's really not nice.. the problem is; ever since dasfox started using kmeleon and he was in a love/hate relationship..one time full of praise and many others with problems..all of them were due to messed profile settings sad smiley

if kmeleon really used up 100 mb for 2 tabs..no one will be using it.

Date: October 08, 2009 12:08PM

My animadversion is always ingnited when I find lack of info as base of argument.
In this and other cases it is IMHO streaming media and lack of updated plugins that cause unwarranted fool mouthed complaint.

When certain PPL find it convenient to post a farewell I get annoyed. They have no personal friends here that need to be said: by by. It is not even their intention to greet long time friends for a last time.

& I have absolutely no problem when some go.
It is normal that one's owl is the next persons nightingale.

But IMHO it is sheer egotism that someone finds his going essential enough to post. With no friends nobody wants to know.

This: If You are not doing or have not done like I want, I will go, is a kindergarten attitude.

If I ever decide to go I'd ask an Admin to delete my Profile, that deletes my name from all my silly posts smiling bouncing smiley I am Admin so I probably do not have to ask).

This is a freeware project. The project does not ow these PPL anything, they have not payed anything. They have not contributed anything.

And here these consumers come and complain that their OS has no good memory management. And they demand K-Meleon must do that job and update their plugins to boot. Saying: KM Is Not Running Light - Constant Lockups!

And Paul, maybe I should really go to make this a friendlier place, since this unwarranted slanderers have in deed worn down my patience.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2009 12:41PM by guenter.

Posted by: Robin
Date: October 09, 2009 11:20AM

Guenter

Just because someone says something is no reason for you or me to "leave".

You are a valued contributor to K-Meleon & its forums since almost beginning
and I for one welcome your posts & hope to see you here for as long as possible.

Take it easy

Robin

Posted by: anti-fanboy
Date: October 09, 2009 02:50PM

guenter
And Paul, maybe I should really go to make this a friendlier place, since this unwarranted slanderers have in deed worn down my patience.

yeah since censorship seems to get again very popular in your country too, and a simple stop-sign won't help here + would only cause confusion, you might just use ur self-generated admin-power to delete all critical and unwelcome posts. this will for sure let this place *seem* much more friendlier.
and thats all that counts, isnt it?
how do they say in your country? "mehr schein als sein?"
im quite sure paul refered to the constant insulting of poster here which say anything critical against k-meleon. k-meleon is (just like linux) not a religion, so there is actually no need to play the disciple here and punish critical ppl with insults and fanboy attitude.
all your arguments, like: messed up profile, faulty system etc are just made up assumptions without any fundament. none of you has ever seen the so called trolls pc live.
if you didn't noticed yet, there are only around 10 ppl left posting constantly and thereof are 7-8 which are constantly adulate themselves.

so just go ahead and delete this post, since it contains critics and let this here be a cleaner and friendlier place. im sure ppl that blow your horn will furthermore be handled friendly and warm.

Date: October 09, 2009 06:35PM

again..there were no attacks and there is no fanboyishism and i don't really see any insults. yea i made assumptions and perhaps gunter as well about his system being faulty or a messed profile, they are indeed assumptions..we;ve never seen the computer before naturally but that are based on past experience.

dasfox has been a km user for a year now i think..during which he always had problems and they were mostly related to bad settings/profile and he did fiddle too much in his own words at one time... which is completely fine..G-d know, i've fucked up profiles more that i can remeber and currently running a km with 5 language locales that i don't even understand. everyone is entitled to fiddle to be able to learn new things.. but there are rules to fiddling..if you wanna fiddle and you're not sure what you're doing; you should make a backup and if you really really wanna fiddle you should make a secondary profile.

dasfox's problems which we helped solve were mostly profile errors and hence we made the assumption it was a profile thingy which is probably correct. since 1.5.3 dasfox had nothing but problems.. it was obviously a corrupted installation..misconfigured setting a gecko file mismatch and he kept complainning since that 1.5.3 is crap and it has become hog like firefox(his words) etc..the fact is 1.5.3 is not much different than 1.5.2..gecko update is merely a fix for 2 security vulnerabilities and 2 kmeleon core bugs(macro-based) so they had nothing to do with rendering/cpu cycle or memory or anything like that.. it's like someone complaining that his car won't run as fast as it did after he changed the upholstery..obviously the problem is not in the interior trim, perhaps it needs an oil change or check the tyres..something related to the user and not the car.

i tried to get some of his post with the dysfunctional search..maybe you(and everybody who didn't know dasfox) will get an idea..that it isn't an attack or fanboyism..was merely fedup
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,93790,93798#msg-93798
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?3,85462,85462#msg-85462
here are posts pre 1.5.3 when dasfox was very happy with km:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,85340,85340#msg-85340
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,86122,86122#msg-86122
then things started to get nasty:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,93520,page=1

i don't think i have a "fanboy" attitude..neither does gunter or any of km users for that matter..maybe a few jokes now and then but nothing taken seriously and we don't care who uses what software for what. i've been a km user for sometime and i've never slapped a get kmeleon stickie on my website.. in fact i promoted that every one should use what they like with the anybrowser.org campaign http://necb.bizhat.com , even when i started working on a site specific to kmeleon extensions i didn't say 'hey yo..go get that browser' but still campaigned for any browser on a site that's actually specific to kmeleon.. do you still think i'm a fanboy? yes..i do love to hate firefox but not because it's a browser.. i despise any software that doesn't use the core os api..whether it's fireshit or seacrap or the gimp or pidgin or juice..

when the wars was at it's heat between ie and ff, i remeber i used to go to that site for game cheats..and the webmaster decided that if firefox wasn't detected to turn all text into greek ..literally greek..but just symbols not real language so the visitor with ie or even another gecko browser wouldn't be able to use the site..this i regard as fanboyism.. in its extreme form

what you don't understand; is that a one-sided war has been declared over kmeleon ever since phoenix was released..
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,5115,page=1

when phoenix/firebird/fox came out, every one started questioning the purpose of kmeleon..and why should it even exist... those questions were mainly provoked by a couple of ugly devs at mozilla.. they just wanted that war in kmeleon out of the blue ..no one ever questioned the purpose of galeon or of camino(an inside mozilla project itself).. they are both built with the same concept using the os widgets and avoiding xul except for bare needs like prefs.. but it was always kmeleon, you know why? because those idiots at mozilla who are at war with everyone saw kmeleon as a threat in the real browser market which is windows.. from the very beginning certain few were out to kill the project and always giving the devs a hard time
http://mozillazine.org/talkback.html?article=4084

kmeleon has been for the most part a one or 2 men show..it's a non-profit project and probably the only browser not trying to get some kind of funding from its users.. over the years many devs have gone which sent users begging for help
http://www.codeguru.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1279266

the long-term users have never cared about going to war or 'stealing' users from other browsers..neither do the devs.. but how will dorian feel after years of effort and development reads something like what's posted by dasfox..hey that's no real browser dude..give me a call when you do something better.

well..no one cares if you use that shit of browser called kmeleon or not..but when you decide to use something else; no one wants to hear a sobbing poem as if you've been betrayed by a wife.

Posted by: Yogi
Date: October 09, 2009 06:58PM

anti-fanboy
all your arguments, like: messed up profile, faulty system etc are just made up assumptions without any fundament. none of you has ever seen the so called trolls pc live.

Did you?

anti-fanboy
im quite sure paul refered to the constant insulting of poster here which say anything critical against k-meleon.

"Maybe when you can really improve this browser to really be lightweight and run better on Flash and Java sites I'll come back, but I honestly need a real browser that can function and KM is not it, I'm sorry to say."

That's not criticism but plain trolling. Not much different from yours BTW.
Do you really think that somebody will be shocked if the OP will switch to another browser one that will better fit his needs? Do you really think that his choice is of any public interest?

I would agree at least that the admin/moderator could have be done better by closing this useless thread (briefly explaining why), as soon as he dropped in.

@ DasFox
Take care. We will miss you.

Date: October 09, 2009 07:45PM

Dear anti-fanboy

I do not care about PPL that hide their Profile and slander OP country.

Like: anti-fanboy (torexit.talkflack.com)

BTW. By definition and custom of usenet etc.: the person that slanders a country of the opposed side as semi democratic, fascist or similar, has lost the argument he advocates. The thread is often closed after that.

Thx from Germany for easing the job of the censors

p.s. True but very bad that only a handful of PPL actively support new users and problems. How about You, my dear anti-fanboy, learning to do the job here, and produce a couple of thousand sometimes useful posts before You suggest, that any active supporter leaves. Do You have the intention to replace the PPL You accuse and slander?

Did You ever post a support answer? Will You ever?... Can You?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2009 07:46PM by guenter.

Posted by: 4td8s
Date: October 12, 2009 04:16PM

wow.

at least KM 1.5.3 runs okay on my XP SP3 home edition laptop (Pentium M 1.3Ghz CPU, 512Mb of RAM, 30Gb hard drive). I almost never had any problems with Kmeleon except for the now outdated Gecko 1.8.1.x engine.

I may have to consider dumping KM by the end of this year since Seamonkey 2.0 has recently reached RC1 status and the final release of SM 2.0 will be out next week which will leave Kmeleon the only browser left with the outdated Gecko engine.

Date: October 31, 2009 12:54AM

disrupted, knock the bullshit off! I've never had a corrupted user profile ever, so I don't know where you get the crap from, but I don't appreciate it! And the OS is not messed up either. I'm an IT Tech and I know what the hell I'm talking about and doing.

KM has been installed on a clean OS many times just after installing XP Pro SP2, constantly giving me problems of lockups with only a few tabs open, or as I said before on another post, locking up and being sluggish for a few moments then coming back and responding. All of this happening on a P4 2.26ghz box with 512MB of ram.

I'll try some suggestions people are advising here...

THANKS

Date: October 31, 2009 01:28AM

Another thing, as far as my uneducated fiddlings go, I've been a Unix/Linux geek for 10 years and an IT Tech for that long, so again I don't know where you get your bullshit from.

I might not know everything, but I can prove my competence as a tech, so people will know all you are doing is slandering with me crap!

In the meantime I'll disable the ram and disk cache. The box is also running 1GB of ram for the moment...

Date: October 31, 2009 01:40AM

Well I haven't gone anywhere cause FF is total shit, running at 246MB with 3 tabs.

So you think cause FF is running at 246MB with 3 tabs distrupted because my FF profiles are screwed up too?

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1565225

LMAO, man disrupted you sure do talk shit!

Helped Dasfox with his problems in the past? I never had any problems that needed fixing in the past BECAUSE I screwed something up.

Let me tell you something Mr. or Mrs. Distrupted, I don't SCREW things up, I fix them, because I'm the Tech, not the F-ing Newbie! Got it?

Sorry for being pissed people, I don't like it one bit when people talk shit about someone elese that haven't got a clue about who they are talking about and disrupted hasn't a clue to me or my abilites!

HERE distruped here is one of MY Linux TUTs, that I personally wrote because I'm some moron that doesn't know JACK about computers. That's right 10 years in Unix and I can't even handle a browser? Give me a BREAK! What a bunch of bullshit!

READ THAT:
http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=175951

Date: October 31, 2009 01:47AM

No one said I didn't like KM except me, and of course I admit I was ready to jump ship because of the lockup issues I've been having, but at least for now I have more ram. Sure I admit I was getting a bit hissy there, but to have you disrupted come along and start slanding me with your crap was below the belt, total KIDDY BULLSHIT!

Of course KM is a better browser, lighter then FF, but to say it doesn't have problems and simply blame them on me is crap! KM does have issues at times and the things I stated were legitimate and when it happens again I will note the website and the thing going on to post about it again in the future, but hopefully with the more ram it won't.

Sure FF still sucks, but at least it wasn't locking up as easy as KM was for whatever reasons were causing KM to lock up. All I know is that KM seems to act goofy with Flash and Java sites at times..

Date: October 31, 2009 04:39AM

Ok here it is acting up again!

I only have 2 tabs open, on www.newzbin.com and www.moviefone.com and running one program in the background, Xchat for IRC and KM started sticking and locking for a few seconds while I was browsing through newzbin.com and I checked the task manager and it hit 97MB ram.

Look at the screenshot:

http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/4005/62944714.jpg

This is on a clean install of XP Pro SP2 that I did the other day. So the system is cleaned and optimized, there is nothing wrong with it and I just installed KM a few hours ago, so I highly doubt profile corruption either from 2 hours of surfing.

So anyone care to explain?

And I better not hear your CRAP again disrupted!

Date: October 31, 2009 07:20AM

DasFox
And I better not hear your CRAP again disrupted!

IMHO use another browser and Forum.

p.s. If a software acts up on one PC only...

A yes, naturally. It is the fault of the browser - it cannot be anything else.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2009 07:25AM by guenter.

Date: October 31, 2009 07:49PM

There is no way this is only acting up on my computer, it's SIMPLY because others just aren't paying attention to this, after all, why bother looking at something when you don't notice anything.

Also it's not like it's always happening, it's subtle enough that others might just brush it off to something else.

BUT there have been people here saying they have experienced the browser on rare occassions lagging and locking up a bit, I know because when I've made posts and see other people reply about this.

Flash intensive sites and sites with streaming video and newzbin.com seem to present the greatest problems I've seen.

Sure I got pissed, but people like disrupted have no right talking crap about people, especially when I know what's going on.

It's the gecko engine, it's not perfect and software has bugs, need I say more?

So please don't tell me KM runs perfect because it doesn't. Don't put the blame on me!

Date: October 31, 2009 08:06PM

DasFox
why bother looking at something when you don't notice anything.

Absolut.

Else - I assume its Your news and other example page. Flash objects use js (action script) and js is used to push news. I know from stock exchange pages.

K-Meleon and IE are the only browsers that have not yet updated to the new JS engines that are all the rage now. It might be the reason.

Else during certain times such pages with heavy load for the servers are slow because of crowding. I know from stock exchange pages at noon.

Either way, if You feel - You get a better deal with another browser move there.

Posted by: foobarly
Date: November 04, 2009 10:15AM

@DasFox:

Please try one of the Seamonkey builds by Fred and report back -- if you search this forum, you'll notice some other people reporting similar problems with the more recent builds of KM...

Cheers

--- sig ---

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.