K-Meleon on Goanna :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Building K-Meleon on top of the Goanna engine 
ABPrime for KM (Goanna)
Posted by: hermes
Date: July 15, 2018 12:53AM

Adaptation XUL extension of PaleMoon for KM. ABPrime is the fork of AdBlockPlus.
Moreover, fork of branch 2.7.x with addition of all modern options and rules from 3.x branch (now available only as a chrome extension). In particular, CSP rules and options are now fully accessible and work + options that require AdBlockPlus v.3.x.

Features: (for KM edition)

- used the classic version of the slightly modified filters configurator from my separate modifications ABP v.2.8.x and 2.7.x *;
--
*the described old material is only available in Russian http://forum.geckoworld.ru/index.php/topic,239570.0.html

- behavior of the ruler 2.7.x is returned (ie the hiding rule can now be debug and watch in realtime without having to reload page, that has been removed since ABP v.2.8.x **);
--
**The side effect was the return of the CSS file elemhide.css.

- the default behavior is overridden. In particular, it is completely disabled automatic updating of subscriptions and sending or receiving of any service information. Subscriptions are easily updated by clicking on menu item update subscription (or modify extensions.abprime.subscriptions_autoupdate);

- blocked and deleted (as a class) so-called "white lists" of advertising;

And at the end, size of file itself is significantly reduced and macro is put in order.

You can take it here:

Video demonstration 800x600 ~4 min. (including activation of the counter on subscriptions)
(direct link) https://getfile.dokpub.com/yandex/get/https://yadi.sk/d/W8J0Xz5l3ZBGsH (~1.68 Mcool smiley
or
https://yadi.sk/d/W8J0Xz5l3ZBGsH

English localization (>> FiX v. 3.0)
(direct link) https://getfile.dokpub.com/yandex/get/https://yadi.sk/d/J_DRYkv03ZGr5D (~107 Kcool smiley
or
https://yadi.sk/d/J_DRYkv03ZGr5D

Russian localization + additional separate files (>> FiX v. 3.0)
(direct link) https://getfile.dokpub.com/yandex/get/https://yadi.sk/d/CXG8-1ac3ZGnDK (~325 Kcool smiley
or
https://yadi.sk/d/CXG8-1ac3ZGnDK
+
(Russian description) http://forum.geckoworld.ru/index.php/topic,241828.0.html

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2020 07:07AM by hermes.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ABPrime for KM (Goanna) / Adblock addon xpi
Posted by: siria
Date: July 15, 2018 06:40AM

Screenshots. Big things like this need a screenshot or two for a quick first-look info :cool:
Here's one from your Help-Video:

What I find confusing, why separate packages for EN+RU, instead of just of 1 multi-lang package as usual? Wouldn't that be easier to maintain too?

$_SAVE_URL_ has me riddling too, it's created but not used in the macro itself. Perhaps by the xpi somehow...?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2018 08:51AM by siria.

Attachments: ABPrime_Goanna_screen_hermes.png (9.9 KB)  
Re: ABPrime for KM (Goanna)
Posted by: Carl-Robert
Date: July 15, 2018 07:35AM

Brief tests confirm that this addon is indeed working and easy to install. However I'm baffled how to add custom subscriptions aside from the provided pop-up menu? It doesn't register subscription links and found no place to paste urls either.

Also is this version still heavy resource-wise, or being more lightweight on K-Meleon?

Date: July 15, 2018 09:06AM

@siria

What I find confusing, why separate packages for EN+RU, instead of just of 1 multi-lang package as usual? Wouldn't that be easier to maintain too?

The problem is that ABPrime initially does not support localization at all : (

Moreover, the first successful attempts to make translate of interface on non-English / non-Latin language, caused negative consequences in the form of "XML errors".

Paradoxically, the reason for errors is translation! This caused errors in filter operations.
This is not encoding problem, presence or absence of BOM, problem in non-Latin characters.
It causes a steady malfunction under certain conditions. I had to slightly reduce the percentage of Russian language, but not significantly. Messages (in localized version) on pure English are found only in pop-up dialogs (all attempts to translate them led to failure of addon).

Date: July 15, 2018 09:33AM

@Carl-Robert

The effect of addon on browser subsystem is determined by number of used filters (which is quite logical). The use of subscriptions is in principle a vicious way and here the expected overload of the browser subsystem is not avoided.

Plugins like uBlock (as well as browsers based on QtWebEngine / QtWebkit) simply limit the number of simultaneously used filters and do not load the system not some magical way, as users often think, but by truncating the functionality and the filter list. This addon will work as original ABP and will use all filters that are included. He does not think, he does only what he should and it's good.

Tip about this was given earlier in this topic:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?9,135175,145626#msg-145626

The mechanism of subscriptions was limited (consciously). The main goal was to prevent addition of "white lists" and other contentious information from third-party services.

If you have a good subscription it certainly can be added to set, but as already said, subscription initially this is path in nowhere. However, if need, can be created Carl-Robert edition of ABPrime (with Your subscriptions). And it's not a joke.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2018 01:29PM by hermes.

Date: July 15, 2018 01:39PM

@siria

$_SAVE_URL_ has me riddling too, it's created but not used in the macro itself. Perhaps by the xpi somehow...?

This is a very useful component, just for its full use it is necessary (at least) the basic set of my automation scripts. It allows you to re-enable the lock (if it was manually disabled on a specific address) when changing to a fundamentally different address (domain). Since this is a local variable without a basic set, it does not harm in any way, in its entirety this is a global variable and it is checked by many macros (from automatic set, there are about 56 of them).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2018 01:42PM by hermes.

Date: July 17, 2018 02:30PM

Added hotfix v.3.0

Fixed minor defects. Changes in Macro and XPi. Unlike the previous fix, you need a clean profile.
Basically, changes have affected on localized version. Because of an error and shortcomings in localization files (Russian localization) of browser, search on filters in XPi did not work earlier.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2018 02:50PM by hermes.

Posted by: Borut
Date: July 18, 2018 09:56PM

Trivial installation. Seems to work great (under Win7). Cool. Thank you very much!!

Date: July 27, 2018 09:21AM

Carl-Robert
Brief tests confirm that this addon is indeed working and easy to install. However I'm baffled how to add custom subscriptions aside from the provided pop-up menu? It doesn't register subscription links and found no place to paste urls either.

Baffling me too, and haven't tried it on my old main browser (never been an adblock-user except the old mini css), but perhaps you find your chosen subscriptions in a pref in about:config? Just guessing. And it could be modified there too.
As for the subscriptions choosable in the GUI, try modifying in the unzipped ...xpi/content/subscriptions.xml

Posted by: Mello
Date: August 06, 2018 08:16PM

Thank you hermes.

Which list? Easy or Fanboy, Both?

EDIT
I've tried various test sites and they all say I'm blocking ads whether Prime is enabled or disabled. How to test?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2018 10:08PM by Mello.

Date: August 07, 2018 12:02PM

@Mello

Which list? Easy or Fanboy, Both?
Not one of them. Use of subscriptions is initially way without perspective. But choice is yours.
Somewhat earlier, I have already expressed my thoughts on a reasonable scenario of the intended use: http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?9,135175,145626#msg-145626

I in general wanted to remove this mechanism of subscriptions, but it has been left since a certain part of users uses only them even against common sense.

I've tried various test sites and they all say I'm blocking ads whether Prime is enabled or disabled.
How to test?
How to test what?

By default, existing set of rules goes back to rodocop's assembly and it's just in default profile (these are not rules from extension, there are not any of them at first). Some parts of omni.ja files have been copied to current builds and so you see a set of rules.

You can switch-off blocks and see what influences reaction of the concrete website. You can clean statistics of filters operations and enable logging. So you will see what rules work and what aren't present.

Most often websites check loading of scripts of Google networks (Google Analytics and etc.).
But not always to allow their loading is reasonable choice. More often blocks of sites are easier to block by means of filters. It is useful to examine: https://adblockplus.org/en/filters .

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2018 12:33PM by hermes.

Date: August 07, 2018 03:02PM

Thanks, I misunderstood what this was.

So with ABPrime (with no subscriptions), when I load a web page I no longer see all that google stuff etc listed in K-m's status bar.

Date: August 07, 2018 04:53PM

Even without any adblock addons and any subscriptions, KM-Goanna contains already out-of-box two little lists with blocking rules for adblockplus:
defaults/profile/adblockplus/patterns.ini + elemhide.css

But those rules lists do nothing yet as long as a user doesn't install ABPlus or one of its sibling-addons, or while those are disabled.

Something completely different: when creating a new profile there's a little popup asking the user if the adblock plugin shall be enabled. This one has nothing to do with ABP+Co. That's the native adblock.dll kplugin, which is using another rules file: "adblock.txt" in the profile. But this one doesn't exist and must be created by users first. What's also missing out-of-box is a menu and button for this one, users must first find and install the macro for this.

Other stuff that can be responsible for blocked stuff:
in about:config the default permission prefs, for frames and scripts etc:
permissions.default. ....
Or a user's domain permissions, stored in permissions.sqlite
Managed either by ExExceptions addon or in the browser configuration.
Also blocked domains in the users HOSTS file of course.

Date: August 07, 2018 06:37PM

Thanks siria, this is an area where k-m is not everyday person 'user friendly'.

Posted by: WasiAzeem
Date: August 28, 2018 11:45AM

siria
Even without any adblock addons and any subscriptions, KM-Goanna contains already out-of-box two little lists with blocking rules for adblockplus:

But this is too cumbersome and a full time, time-consuming job. One needs to see what is to be blocked on a specific page, I meean Live Blocking. I hope it will be re-enabled in near future.

siria
Or a user's domain permissions, stored in permissions.sqlite
Managed either by ExExceptions addon or in the browser configuration.

"or in the browser configuration" how in the browser configuration? you mean Tool>Privacy>block cookies,java...etc?

I request all seniors and devs, please improve Adblock so that we will enjoy what we had in KM 1.6. Km 1.6 was marvelous.
KM Goanna and KM 76RC2 dont show live blocking on pages. What I do is I use Firefox ESR 52 portable to inspect a page then add filters in KM 76RC2 and Goanna.
Please make it user friendly.

Special request to hermes:
Please add Live blocking on pages. This will make KM more likeable and more popular. Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2018 11:48AM by WasiAzeem.

Date: August 31, 2018 01:39PM
Date: September 01, 2018 02:03AM

hermes
@WasiAzeem
@iyut

In terms of interface configuration, KM has no analogues in terms of flexibility and customization options. You can rebuild literally everything (any menus, panels, icons, etc.). Yes, it requires patience and at least an elementary reading of FAQ. But it's worth it. The truth is that FF is designed for a very average user, KM requires certain knowledge and skills. Or it will be used for a very small percentage of its capabilities.

If think what KM is just a browser is a big mistake. In fact, it is not a product of the mass market. Unfortunately, most of people only copy / paste ready to use modules.

First of all, K-MELEON is a platform on which you can do a lot (and in fact, it's easier than it seems). FF is mostly designed for the "typical" user, so the comparison is unsuccessful. A typical user is usually quite lazy.

@siria

Yes I see the prob with the Firefox addons clearly. Especially to get essential stuff like the live-blocking function in adblockplus working in KM too.

ABPrime does not provide this function? Everything works in full. If you need to track down elements, Firebug is great here (I integrated it in my KM, already three years ago).

Thank you for your kind reply.
Yes I totally agree with you, KM is not for average user, it requires some skill in order to make it more advanced and more useful.
But there are levels of skills, some have master skill, some has great, some has less, and some users like me want to get a little skill but they need guidance. There was a time when I used to spend a lot of time on computer, OS esp. windows, tweaks, registry hacks, BIOS, games tweaks, its a long list. But as the time passes we get involved in real life responsibilities more and more and find very little time to spend on our old beloved stuff.

My point is, there are some advanced users with skills and they also create advanced macro, extensions etc, and they always are very helpful for people like me.
I have created many macros for my own ease and demands, tried to understand, because I love K-Meleon, really I love it.

Now, from your quote, I understand that ABP Prime has live blocking enabled? I mean ABP Prime can be installed on KM 76RC2 and it has live blocking option enabled? I think I installed it on KM76 RC2 but there was no Live Blocking, but I have to re-check this.

Also, does ABPPrime is compatible with KM 76 on Goanna?

Date: September 02, 2018 07:31PM

OK. I tried ABPrime on KM76 Goanna release, and "Live Blocking" is not working, although there is an entry in ABPrime's context menu that says enable live blocking but it only goes to a blank page.

Posted by: 4td8s
Date: December 20, 2018 11:55AM

latest version of ABPrime for Palemoon was v1.0.7.

The ABPrime for KM that I got the last time was v1.0.5. You'll need to update the KM version to 1.0.7, hermes.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2018 11:59AM by 4td8s.

Date: May 22, 2019 07:33PM

I would also be happy if hermes or somebody in the know could make the current ABPrime of Pale Moon to work in KMeleon. As far as I see at my place, the settings page of ABP does not have any content under recent KMeleon versions (probably due to changes in KMeleon?). Or maybe I am doing something wrong?

Because of all the possibilities and setting for ad blocking (described in some posts of this thread too), it is hard to see what is actually blocking ads and where would be the right and easiest place to change something.

Date: May 22, 2019 11:55PM

Here's a useful test page.
https://blockads.fivefilters.org/

With K-m "out of the box" it indicates partial adblocking
With K-m pro which comes with adblockplus it indicates full adblocking
With ABprime installed on out of box K-m - full adblocking

But I've found that full adblock installation or ABPrime installed can slow down the browser on many sites - so I don't use them. A powerful system might not notice this so much.

I found that to get all the filters with ABprime - adblock needs to be first installed then disabled - then when ABprime is installed they are all present.

I'd only experiment in a secondary stand alone version of k-m

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2019 12:17AM by Mello.

Date: May 23, 2019 07:18AM

@Borut / Mello

Specially now checked with latest release (KM / May 18, 2019), everything works in full. The differences between versions of ABPrime are so insignificant that there is no point in recompiling release, except only for number. Functionally, this gives nothing. If it is not clear: "how to add a module", watch video from the first post of this topic, everything is works (in sufficient detail). And about filters, if you use subscriptions is a dead end. Write your own rules, or filter by triggers and leave only ones you need from subscriptions, and you will be happy.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2019 07:19AM by hermes.

Date: May 23, 2019 09:34AM

@Mello / hermes Many thanks!

Here are my few more experiences:

Meanwhile I also think that a new version is not necessary. Why? Because I experimented with creating a new profile: Have created one (answering positive the question on enabling adblock plugin, although this might not have anything to do with ABPrime, as siria wrote before). I was surprised to see that ABPrime worked as expected in that new profile (I have never before played with profiles)! Since my other options were gone, I copied options file from previous profile into the new one. Thats it - seems to work! I have no idea why the ABPrime setting page is empty when using my old profile.

On statistics:

I think that in about:config I had to enable:
extensions.abprime.savestats;true
in order for statistics to get working.

On filter subscriptions:

In filter subscriptions (no automatic download) I am using "Blockzilla" and "RU AdList: Counters", but am not sure if this is a default, or my previous selection. Since on one page that I visit the ads remained, I tried EasyList. This one makes the handling of ABPrime settings very slow. So I looked at the statistics in order to find for me relevant/working filters, then copied them from EasyList and pasted them into an additional new custom filter group (in the second tab in settings - custom filters). Then I removed/deleted EasyList from filter subscriptions. Works good. I will try to disable and eventually remove the "Blockzilla" and "RU AdList: Counters" too. If needed, I will repeat the procedure of creating an additional custom filter group suited for my specific needs.

@hermes Questions:

I think that my described procedure follows the spirit of your recommendation, isn't it?

Another topic: I was able to reset filter statistics for the filter subscriptions, but not for custom filters. After restarting K-M the custom filters again have the whole statistics. What am I doing wrong, or what should I do to succeed?

@Mello Comment:

Mello proposed this page with an adblock test: https://blockads.fivefilters.org/ It is a part of the https://fivefilters.org/ which I find generally very interesting! Thanks!

Date: May 24, 2019 08:14AM

@Borut

I think that my described procedure follows the spirit of your recommendation, isn't it?

Completely smiling smiley. The next step is to manually create single rules if necessary (very useful info - https://adblockplus.org/en/filters ).

Another topic: I was able to reset filter statistics for the filter subscriptions, but not for custom filters. After restarting K-M the custom filters again have the whole statistics. What am I doing wrong, or what should I do to succeed?

Specially checked now, it works.

It is strongly recommended that all experiments with new functionality be performed in clean distributions. Before making any other changes. The incompatibility is based on certain entries in prefs.js (profile folder) made by both extensions themselves and those appearing under a specific use case (during operation). A clean profile can not always solve any problem.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2019 08:30AM by hermes.

Date: May 26, 2019 04:32PM

hermes
The next step is to manually create single rules if necessary (very useful info - https://adblockplus.org/en/filters ).

Yes, thanks. I had already found that page the same day and will be using it when needed. Very useful indeed.

Posted by: Slickone
Date: November 12, 2019 12:08AM

Hermes, I can't get the video demo above or the downloads to work.

BTW, even though you prefer to build you own list, and that's the best method to keep from slowing down the browser, a majority of users will want to use subscriptions. Many people don't have the time to build a filter list, and even if they did, unless you only browse the same websites every time, it's going to miss things.

Posted by: Old Faithful
Date: January 02, 2020 01:35AM

I can't ge the links to work neither...

Date: January 02, 2020 02:23AM

Hermes' yandex links still work great for me, just tested by a middle click (to open in back) on the video link. Well possible there may be a daily limit, perhaps try again in early morning? Or perhaps right-click/Save As...
(note: most addon settings can probably just copied over from a Firefox etc. profile folder)

(sig) New unofficial K-Meleon 76.4 (KMG76.4) available, in own subforum.
Based on Goanna engine, called 'test' builds forever but more stable as 75.1 acc. forum members. It's 1-2 generations ahead of predecessor KM76RC-2016
K-Meleon FAQ (link missing in forum sidebar)
Tips&Tricks - Learning new stuff every day
New to K-Meleon? What do you like? What not?

Date: January 02, 2020 07:13AM

On problems, you can always shorten link (as example, see first post of topic / double links).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2020 07:14AM by hermes.

Posted by: Old Faithful
Date: January 02, 2020 08:23AM

Thanks guys, it worked this time :-)

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.