Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
K-Meleon is killing me
Posted by: Ram
Date: January 18, 2008 04:57PM

Hi everybody, i am new and desperate all at the same time. First of all i would like to say that i really love K-Meleon for its incredible speed. Nevertheless i deinstalled it yesterday just because it finaly made me crazy with its non fixable problems running the flashplayer properly. I would immidiately reinstall it if someone could give me some kind of advice in this regard. I mean i have much to do with video clips like on YouTube and other flashplayer supported stuff on blogs and forums and its really annoying not to be able to run it. I installed flashplayer, java run support.... but no chance. Did i miss something? Did i leave something out? Please help, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: K-Meleon is killing me
Posted by: guenter
Date: January 18, 2008 07:21PM

You always install the version that are for Firefox. All browsers except IE use these. Once IE also used these so called Netscape plugins instead of ActiveX. You will find info at http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/windows.html. Some K-Meleon specific plugin adadptions are at the K-Meleon extension page.

To get a collection of preconfigured plugins I used to install Netscape 4.8 - 7.2 - next I would copy their plugin directory to K-Meleon ./plugins. You can still do it and later update the individual plugins. Netscape 9 ships some nice plugins.

Plugins are easy to find,once You know they not browser specific.
You can download some at http://www.apple.com/safari/download/plugins.html
Well, that is where I got my most recent collection of Netscape plugins for my K-Meleons. After I installed Safari to look what it is like - I used the Apple Windows browser page to update my favorite plugins.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2008 07:43PM by guenter.

Date: January 18, 2008 08:05PM

Thankyou very much. But let me tell you that i am still completely clueless! I really need someone to explain the the whole process like he would do it to a child! I am not that into stuff like this.

Btw, i am german and would like to appology for my poor english but it is what it is i guess smiling smiley

Now back to the subject... Do you mean i should install the latest version of Netscape and copy their plugin directory into K-Meleon's?

I mean everything was working fine with kmeleon except of this damn flashplayer that didnt work and made no single video clip appear properly. I am not even sure if flashplayer is the main problem, i just guess it is.

Date: January 18, 2008 09:30PM

Guys consider it done! Everything runs perfectly now. Thanks for the hint with Netscape plugins.

cheers

Date: January 18, 2008 10:50PM

nun, wenn es bei dir läuft, ist es gut - ich habe es wegen meinem ehemaligen Provider lernen müssen . Die T-offline Software hat mir ein ungebetenes IE Update von IE 5.5 zu IE 6 installiert. Danach ging nix mehr - kein Applet, kein Flash, keine Musik sad smiley Woher sollte ich wissen, dass MS das plugin Modell gwechselt hatte. Danach hat mir ein alter Webmaster Netscape 4.8 genannt - der Browser war da schon betagt - aber er hatte und machte alles, was ich brauchte. Dann habe ich das mit den plugins gefunden - also ging es bei jedem Browser nur nicht bei IE. K-Meleon habe ich seit der Version 0.6 oder so und seit 0.7.1 als Standart Browser. Da gab es noch keinen Phoenix aka Firefox Es gab die Mozilla Suite
oder K-Meleon als leichte Alternative.

Date: January 21, 2008 12:39AM

Ja das ist natürlich unverschämt und ärgerlich zugleich. I hab die Geschichte mit T-Offline smiling bouncing smiley) vor jahren Ad acta gelegt. Sie sind in der Tat zu oft offline und kommen immer wieder mit billigen ausreden um damit die ganzen Ausfälle zu erklären.

Wie auch immer, Firefox ist im moment nicht zu toppen. Ich brauch K-Meleon allein wegen der Geschwindigkeit und darin schlägt die keiner. Wenn ich auf K-Meleon all die toolbars wie die von Google oder Imageshack installieren könnte dann wären sie sogar besser als Firefox aber das ist soweit ich weiss noch nicht möglich.

Posted by: David
Date: January 21, 2008 06:43AM

Ram
Thankyou very much. But let me tell you that i am still completely clueless! I really need someone to explain the the whole process like he would do it to a child! I am not that into stuff like this.

Btw, i am german and would like to appology for my poor english but it is what it is i guess smiling smiley

Now back to the subject... Do you mean i should install the latest version of Netscape and copy their plugin directory into K-Meleon's?

I mean everything was working fine with kmeleon except of this damn flashplayer that didnt work and made no single video clip appear properly. I am not even sure if flashplayer is the main problem, i just guess it is.

Darn it! I was looking forward to reading the replies - in English and then you go and solve it yourself and find someone to talk to in German! Really pleased it's working but can anyone please fill in the gaps?

As I understand it I also need to install ?flash to cure a problem I have with my bank login and k-meleon ie if I try to log in I get a message telling me to install IE5 or above.

Any advice put simply will be helpful

Posted by: JujuLand
Date: January 21, 2008 07:35AM

I think it's a good thing to install flashplayer, and then control it with flashblock.

For your message saying you ust install IE5 or above, I think the solution is perhaps to change The user agent in Tools>User Agent, and choose IE6.

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Date: January 21, 2008 04:17PM

You best use Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; de-DE; rv:1.8.1.8) Gecko/20071008 Firefox/2.0.0.8 if a page says Your browser is old - that is why the devs added it.

IE speaks another ECMA Script dialect (JScript not JavaScript) and uses other plugins. Java plugin by Sun can cause trouble when You spoof IE.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2008 04:18PM by guenter.

Posted by: JujuLand
Date: January 21, 2008 04:27PM

You're right, as usual :-)

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Posted by: David
Date: January 22, 2008 06:45AM

thanks, I'll let you know what happens

Date: January 22, 2008 05:25PM

David

Darn it! I was looking forward to reading the replies - in English and then you go and solve it yourself and find someone to talk to in German! Really pleased it's working but can anyone please fill in the gaps?

iddle remarks T-Offline Software refers to my ex provider & Ram knows it also. They are the deeper reason why i searched for a browser alternative - I heard rumors that T-Online has a better reputation & service record in the US. Here T-OFFline pushed an Update on me which broke my IE's abbility to use Netscape plugins but did not install all activeX components to set things going again. sad smiley

ok - Netscape 7.1/7.2 which in their time have shiped the best sortiment of configured plugins are still available. 9.0 ships some nice musik... plugins. But unlike the old versions 9.0 does not ship the whole panoply of war anymore.sad smiley

download & intstall & copy the plugins directory to k-meleon/plugins folder (not kplugins!). Later update. BTW start with the oldest brower version - & repeat with a newer will automatically take care of updating.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2008 05:28PM by guenter.

Posted by: Anthony Kelly
Date: February 11, 2008 10:25PM

Jujuland
I think it's a good thing to install flashplayer, and then control it with flashblock.

Flashblock: Tools > Privacy > Permissions > Content Filters

And yeah that thing is pretty 1337.

Date: February 13, 2008 08:11PM

Ram
Ja das ist natürlich unverschämt und ärgerlich zugleich. I hab die Geschichte mit T-Offline smiling bouncing smiley) vor jahren Ad acta gelegt. Sie sind in der Tat zu oft offline und kommen immer wieder mit billigen ausreden um damit die ganzen Ausfälle zu erklären.

Wie auch immer, Firefox ist im moment nicht zu toppen. Ich brauch K-Meleon allein wegen der Geschwindigkeit und darin schlägt die keiner. Wenn ich auf K-Meleon all die toolbars wie die von Google oder Imageshack installieren könnte dann wären sie sogar besser als Firefox aber das ist soweit ich weiss noch nicht möglich.[/quote]

bin am grübeln, wie immer. wir werden u. U. gegen XPCOM standalone glue linkn müssen - was immmer das ist & wir = Dorian. @SEAmonkeygrübbeln sie wegen der extensions auch - bin am mitlesen tongue sticking out smiley

RANT about t-com
ich ärger mich über die t-com. gesterm kam ne rechnung zu meiner ma. , aber der termin, wann es abgemeldet wird, kam immer noch nicht. ein handy hat simone schon gekauft. für 10 eur. rechnung von der t-com war über 20 eur, ohne zu telefonieren. darüber kann man sich ärgern.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.