Extensions :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All about K-Meleon extensions. 
Need help installing K-Meleon Extensions Manager
Posted by: Ralli
Date: June 20, 2018 07:56PM

Hello,

I´m running K-Meleon 75.1 on Win7.

How do I install the K-Meleon Extensions Manager after the dowmload? I´ve unpacked the zip-file and found kmextman.exe (beneath other files and folders).
But starting this .exe-file, nothing happens.
Can anyone give me an advice?

Greets
Ralli

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need help installing K-Meleon Extensions Manager
Posted by: KM2005
Date: June 21, 2018 02:07PM

I've used it a few times and installed it recently with repeated differing attempted ways. But, because of what I was trying to ultimately install and the Extensions Manager wouldn't install what I wanted, I used xpinstallext instead:

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,139934#msg-139989

Re: Need help installing K-Meleon Extensions Manager
Posted by: siria
Date: June 21, 2018 09:08PM

Sorry no idea, am not familiar with it. A manager is not necessary to manage KM extensions, so am not using it myself. Just like better to have full control by moving files manually instead of having automatic functions doing something hidden.

But did you see this page?
=> http://kmext.sourceforge.net/kem.htm

- click on the tools menu and select 'extensions manager'
- additional administrative rights may be required depending on your K-Meleon installation directory.

In general, be aware there exist 3 types of extensions for K-Meleon.

1) simple macros, consisting of 1 kmm-file.
(Un)Installation: move file in or out of a macros folder

2) multi-file extensions, several files to be placed in different folders.
Contain for example button images, script files, jar/dll/exe files etc., usually also a kmm-macro for menu- and button creation.
This type 'should' contain a little info-file, but that's just for convenience, it's not mandatory.
If existing, those little info files go into K-Meleon/kmextensions/****.ini
(Un)Installation:
- either by manually copying/removing the unzipped downloaded files in the various folders
- Or using the help of KM Extensions Manager, which is also just using those little ini-files if I got that right (?)

Type 1+2 are found here in the forum, and newer ones ONLY here:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/list.php?9 (and shattered a bit everywhere)
In the past they were also collected and categorized in this external project, pity the maintainer has stopped some years ago:
http://kmext.sf.net
The categories there are very handy, but contain no detailed descriptions, screenshots, and no links to their topics in the forum. Googling helps...

TYPE 3) Firefox addons, xpi-files
ATTENTION:
For KM they must be XUL-addons, the older type that Mozilla will ALL DELETE in some weeks!!
Only some of those work in KM, but gets better with every new KM-version. KM76-gecko can handle them already a lot better as KM75.1, and KM77-Goanna is probably better again as KM76RC. Just try if something works in KM too.
KM74-gecko: addons for Firefox version 24esr
KM75-gecko: addons for Firefox version 31esr
KM76-gecko: addons for Firefox version 38esr
KM74-goanna: somewhere between Firefox version 24...37 ??
KM77-goanna: somewhere between Firefox version 38...51/52 ??

XPI-installation can still be a bit tricky. Perhaps you need to adjust some settings first before installation is allowed. And sometimes needs fiddling with the allowed browser versions inside the xpi/install.rdf may be necessary. For some addons an additional little KM-macro can create a menu and button, but only for very simple actions, like opening a fix URL to the options xul page.
(Un)Installation:
Type "about:addons" in the URLBar to manage those.
Use the Gear-button on this page to check settings and to install a downloaded xpi-addon, from a local file.
Use that page also for uninstallation and options.
After installation, the xpi files are found in the current profile folder/extensions, usually renamed.
Pre-installed FF-addons are in the folder K-Meleon/browser/extensions.
It's also possible to manually fiddle and copy/remove xpi-files in folders, or tweak them first.

-----
But am only very familiar with 'simple' macros.
With the complicated types only a bit, other people know those a lot better (just where are they?)

-----
by Luk3Z, 2017:
Easy way to install Firefox addons in KM 76 RC - June 2017
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?9,141979

-----
_howto_ extensions macros addons installation

(sig) New unofficial K-Meleon 76.4 (KMG76.4) available, in own subforum.
Based on Goanna engine, called 'test' builds forever but more stable as 75.1 acc. forum members. It's 1-2 generations ahead of predecessor KM76RC-2016
K-Meleon FAQ (link missing in forum sidebar)
Tips&Tricks - Learning new stuff every day
New to K-Meleon? What do you like? What not?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2018 11:46AM by siria.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.