General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
K-Meleon Behaving Strangely, Closing Unexpectedly
Posted by: justme
Date: August 29, 2007 10:04PM

Hi,
K-Meleon 1.02 was working fine for months but lately it's acting strangely. Wondering if it's because we imported some Opera bookmarks? Sometimes when we click ADD PAGE to the imported Hotlist, instead KM promptly shuts down!?

Any idea what's causing this & what to do about it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: K-Meleon Behaving Strangely, Closing Unexpectedly
Posted by: justmeagain
Date: August 29, 2007 10:12PM

PS Forgot to mention that this same ABRUPT, UNASKED-FOR CLOSING of browser is happening when we type CTRL-N for a NEW PAGE. This is also new behavior, since we imported Opera Hotlist. Not sure if these behaviors (including the one mentioned earlier) are related.

Any idea what's going on?

Also, we can't seem to get the Search Messages & Forums function to work here today. (Very confusing to have so many things malfunctioning at once.)

We wanted to ask a question about installing the 1.12 Update, but system won't respond, so we'll ask it here (sorry if it's off-topic):

If we download the 1.12 beta, should we first uninstall the existing KM 1.02 version, or should we install the 1.12 beta ON TOP OF existing K-Meleon 1.02 version?

Thanks in advance for any solutions/suggestions/advice.

:-)

Posted by: justme
Date: September 02, 2007 08:57PM

OK, guess nobody knows any answers to above questions.

So we'll ask another, quasi-related question:

Is there any *BOOKMARKS or HOTLIST add-on* available for K-Meleon, so we can avoid the problems (described above, sudden unexpected closing of browser) that may be happening, due to importing Opera hot-list?

Thanks if anyone sees & answers.

Posted by: A KM User
Date: September 03, 2007 01:01AM

Hello justme. I wish I had an answer for you. I can certainly understand your
frustrations as I too am having the same problems with the Bookmarks, Favorites,
and Hotlist. Many others are too. See the following threads.

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,74173
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,43325
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,73404
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,73704

I also know there to be other threads regarding problems with Bookmarks, Favorites,
and/or the Hotlist. I just cannot locate the others. Many persons are having trouble
with one or more of them. It usually involves the opening of another page, window,
or layer as in your case. I as you hope to find a solution to this problem. Thanks
for telling about your problems. I believe this to be the only way to improve
K-Meleon to make it the best browser ever.

Date: September 03, 2007 02:07AM

HI,
Just uninstalled v. 1.02, installed v. 1.11 and upgraded to 1.12. Hope this will somehow help "cure" the problem with browser shutting down when I click on various links or try to open new page, etc., as described earlier.

Wish me luck!
:-)

P.S. Looks like the installation "saved" the earlier Profile, so don't know whether things will act differently or not. Will post results as they occur!

Posted by: A KM User
Date: September 03, 2007 02:10PM

Sure hope you do have good luck justmeagain. I tried upgrading, reinstalling,
removing the old profiles and a few others many times with no luck at all. Let
us know if anything seems to work for you.

Date: September 03, 2007 08:16PM

HI,
Am back, discouraged... Yes, despite all the above gyrations to try to upgrade the KM browser and get rid of the problems, the same problems remain.

Too bad! We *need* a reliable bookmarking function (not only one that won't close browser unexpectedly when we Add a link to Hotlist but also one that allows us to do some more sophisticated Bookmark Editing/Management) and we also *need* to be able to SEE the color change on a Link when we VISIT it.

Are these BUGS in K-Meleon or functions that have not yet been built into it?

Very confused & rather aggravated at this point!

PS What operating systems are others using that are causing these similar problems? We're using Win2000...

Date: September 05, 2007 03:41AM

I *might* have solved the Bookmark/linking/browser closing problem!??

I decided to just start a new *.adr file for the opera-like bookmarks to be used by K-Meleon, and I changed SETTINGS of Hotlist to NOT use ORDER. (Just use ASCENDING and FOLDERS.) It's not the greatest Bookmark functioning I've ever used, but at least the premature, uncalled-for BROWSER SHUTDOWNs appear to have STOPPED! I can ADD a link to Hotlist and can CLICK ON HOTLIST LINKS and can EDIT Hotlinks, and so far, have not crashed. I think (?but not sure yet?) that it might have been the ORDER-function that was causing the browser to close, and that seems to be because of EDITING the hotlist and changing the ORDER of things (and sometimes even deleting bookmarks, which totally loses some of the ordinal-numbers).

But like I said, I'm still NOT 100% sure this better performance will continue; and besides, who can get by with nothing but a LONG undifferentiated LIST of Hotlinks, rather than being able to ordinate them and put them under CATEGORIES, like we do in Opera...???

Hope the K-M developers will figure out how to make K-Meleon work with more GROWN-UP BOOKMARK CAPABILITIES, but until they do, we'll LIMP ALONG with this present situation.

Good luck to all the others who've been pulling out their hair over the mal-functioning Hotlist/links stuff.

Posted by: Dan
Date: September 05, 2007 05:21PM

Good Luck to you too as I believe you are going to need it. I tried changing
the Bookmarks list, the Favorites and a new .adr file for Opera. Did not help
anything. My browser crashes unless I remove ALL those plugins.

Posted by: Dorian
Date: September 05, 2007 05:31PM

Could you make and send me a .adr file which crash kmeleon when adding a link? This would help me to find the cause of your problem. I don't see why order would cause problem to kmeleon.

Date: September 05, 2007 09:13PM

Dan, our machine does NOT activate the IE Favorites or Netscape Plugins; we only use ONE bookmark file, and that's from Opera. We originally copied our existing Opera bookmark file over into KM profile directory, but we encountered continual CLOSING of browser when we would click ADD PAGE to the Hotlist, or sometimes when we would just type in an URL.

Since nobody seemed to know what to do to fix this, we just made a really SIMPLE *.adr file for KM and are building it as we go. We also told it NOT to use ORDER in the Hotlist settings. So far, everything's working fine, but we would like more sophisticated CATEGORIZATION capabilities for the bookmark list. Otherwise, this browser will have very limited functionality and we'll only be able to use it on one or two websites, because we are constantly SAVING LINKS in the Hotlist, and it's just too hard to find things in the long, UNDIFFERENTIATED list...

I wonder if there are any so-called Third Party bookmarking programs available that would work with KM??

Dorian, I don't know why Order would have any effect, either, unless KM is NEEDING a numerical ordering system before it can find and call up a linked URL on the Hotlist. If I can find the .adr file that was closing, will let you know.
The reason I thought ORDER might be implicated in the CLOSING of KM was because I noticed the rather-large .adr file had been edited a lot, with lots of items deleted, which had changed the ORDER (lots of missing numbers)... ?! Maybe Order has nothing to do with clearing the unexpected closings...

BTW, is unexpected CLOSING of KM considered a CRASH? I thought a CRASH was when something actually got corrupted or scrambled or damaged. I wasn't thinking these closures were crashes, LOL!

smiling smiley

Posted by: Justmeagain
Date: September 05, 2007 09:17PM

PS I suppose a workaround would be to have multiple bookmark (.adr) files, for the complex bookmarking situations, but it's a bit of a hassle (a lot of clicking & drilling down) to have to go into Hotlist/Settings/and look for the other file name(s). Better than crashing, though!
smiling smiley

Posted by: JamesD
Date: September 05, 2007 11:38PM

@ Justmeagain

Regarding your need to see color change on visited link. September 03

we also *need* to be able to SEE the color change on a Link when we VISIT it.

This thread should help. http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?4,72761

I made the change to my User Defined StyleSheet and it works just fine. Be sure not to put the new code inside any existing comments.

I hope this is not out of line, but could you use IE Favorites as a workaround? Favorites are stored in folder\sub-folder style. If you have folder names as subject for folder you can organize pretty good. The FavRenAdd macro lets you rename a favorite when adding and select/create the folder.

Date: September 06, 2007 10:50PM

To JamesD,
Yeah, that was a real breakthrough (haha) when Dorian explained that we had to keep History ON or the Visited Links function wouldn't work. DUHHHH!!! How obvious... !
Don't know why I didn't think of that but am so glad Dorian mentioned it!

It is great to be able to see which links we've already visited.

Thanks to all for their kind help.

As for the Bookmarking/Hotlist thing and occasional unexpected closing, we thought we were PAST this, but we did have one sudden closure yesterday, when we clicked on Ctrl-N for a new page. Don't know what caused it or why; it always happens so fast, and is so shocking (when we're trying to do something else online) that it's hard to recapture what steps led to the closure.

Hope things will become clearer so we can put a stop to it permanently. In meantime, we're getting along a lot better with K-M since the changes we've described here and elsewhere.

Posted by: guenter
Date: September 06, 2007 11:13PM

Check that You do not have 2 similar mouse gestures // one for closing = like me "Doovie" smiling smiley

p. s. else it possibly it has to do with lack of RAM - but with true tabs on their way, we should not be too concerned now smiling smiley

Date: September 07, 2007 01:10AM

Yes, we have plenty of RAM. And we don't even know what Mouse Gestures were set up, if any, because we had not looked at that plug-in. We disabled it, so now it should have no effect on anything we do.

KM just closed again without warning while we were trying to finalize a submission on a webpage. Annoying! Thank goodness the browser DOES know how to go back to where we were before the rude closing, or we'd REALLY be snarling.

Wish we could figure out what's causing this abrupt closure problem, because we really like K-Meleon and want to keep using it!

Date: September 07, 2007 03:42PM

If this we have to find a way to provoke it - that way it can be avoided and/or fixed. We we have the steps that lead to the closing it can be fixed by Dorian if it is a K-Meleon problem / else me must get fixes from MS smiling smiley

p. s. I assumed it was my wrong mouse movements or litte RAM on huge myspace pages.

Date: September 07, 2007 07:43PM

Which operating systems are people using, who are experiencing this premature, unexpected closing of KM while they are attempting to surf?

Is *everyone* having this problem; i.e., is it universal? Or just some people, with certain operating systems?

Is *everyone* who is having the closure problem also using a Bookmark Plugin?

Maybe a quick survey of folks here who are having the problem might reveal some similarities and provide a clue about the source of the problem?

Date: September 08, 2007 06:44PM

It is happening merely at a couple of machines - else we had more crashes and posts.

Something with K-Meleon that only few use - or it is something on our systems.

My Internet machine has XP/pro installed on a P500 with 192MB RAM.

p.s. I am not upset because I have many extensions installed and know from posts about Firefox that this can cause such effects. & I am here for a long time - I know that some systems and some browser installs are "broken" smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2007 06:44PM by guenter.

Date: September 08, 2007 06:54PM

Hmm... This is interesting--and a little baffling. We have *no* extensions installed (as far as we know!); and we even have disabled the External Control Program (because Adobe Acrobat was automatically starting up and sometimes causing KM to freeze), so we don't think our closure-problems are related to extensions...

We have about 500MB of RAM on a Win2000 machine, so don't think it is related to our memory or system. We don't EVER use Internet Explorer but sometimes use Opera 9 and/or Firefox 2-something. Neither of them seem to have any problems with anything, they're just not as zippy and easy to manipulate as KM, so we'd like to use KM for nearly everything online.

Wish KM developers could come up with a BOOKMARK function that is entirely tailored to KM, so we wouldn't have to import bookmarks from other browsers and would not be bringing in confounding variables.

PS
Plug-ins we have enabled:
Bitmapped Menus (don't even know what they do)
Fullscreen Plugin
History Plugin
Km JS Bridge
Opera Hotlist Plugin
Privacy Plugin
Session Saver Plugin
Toolbar Control Plugin

All others are red (disabled)

Are we missing something here? Should we turn off or on some other plugin to make sure the Bookmarks work right?

Posted by: Justmeagain
Date: September 08, 2007 06:58PM

PPS How much RAM should we allocate for K-Meleon to use in its Memory Cache?
We have about 8096 Kbytes. (Just doubled the default.) Should we allocate more?
Could that be the problem with the unwanted browser closings?

Date: September 09, 2007 12:22PM

Yes You can allocate more. Maybe try & use the same values as Your Firefox gets.

K-Meleon needs very little RAM - AFAIK only Opera is needs less (but consumes more CPU cyclessmiling smiley.

I always use mouse gestures - plus IE Favorites which i use to store bookmarks shared between differnt K-Meleon installs. BTW: we do not have to import Favorites and Hotlist but K-Meleon can use these bookmarks files natively. You can import favorites to the Natscape type bookmarks.html that is used by default.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2007 12:23PM by guenter.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.