Each page inside a WikiWikiWeb can be edited easily, and as writing
a page should be very easy to accomplish, there are only a few
rules, which are not all that senseless and annoying as the ones of the
Hyper Text Markup Language (HTML).
Click on the EditThisPage link at the bottom of this page or else
all you read here won't make much sense to you.
- separate paragraphs inside the text with empty lines
- use three percent signs %%% to enforce a line break
- if you prepend text with spaces or tabs it will get indented
- use an exclamation mark ! at the beginning of a line to create a small headline
- !! for medium
- !!! for large headlines
Table of Contents (ToC)
- Put a space between the ! and the first character of the Heading to generate a ToC entry.
- So you can have an article with no ToC if that's the way you want it, or if you wish to build your own.
- ToC entries will be indented if you make the Headers smaller. You can see the effect in the ToC box at the top of this article. This sub-heading is indented slightly from the "Headlines" entry.
- if you want to emphasize text enclose it in two single-quotes '' (usually looks italic)
- text gets strong if you type it enclosed between two asterisks **
- to make text big enclose it in two plus signs ++
- you can get smaller text using two minus signs -- likewise
- a typewriter-like font will be used if you enclose text in two equal == signs
- start a line with an asterisk * to begin a list
- use # instead for numerated lists
- you can create sublists
- subsequent list points should start with the same mix of * and #
- just enter a WikiWord inside your text to create a new HyperLink
- enclose some words in square brackets [ ] to create a HyperLink inside the WikiWikiWeb which is not made up of a valid WikiWord
- any valid internet address (starting with http://) like http://www.example.com/ inside the text will be made clickable automagically
- enclose a www address or a WikiLink inside square brackets [freshmeat] and assign it a neat title using quotation marks or the | character
- [title | http://example.com]
- [WikiWord "title"] or ["title for" WikiLink]
- if you don't want a WikiWord or a http://www-address (or [anything] inside square brackets) to become a HyperLink then just prepend it with a exclamation mark or a tilde
- !NoHyperLink, ~NoHyperLink
- ![no hyperlink], !http://nolink.org/
Tables with |
| just enclose
|| things with the dash
| to build a
|| table structure
| browsers usually
|| leave out the missing
- to include an image into a page enclose its absolute www-address in square brackets, like [http://www.example.com/pics/image.png]
- alternatively you could use the image uploading function, see EditThisPage
Please see the page about ExtendedWikiMarkup, if you'd like to know a bit
more about available markup.